As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Computer Build Thead: AMD joins NVidia, Intel in confusing name club

1606162636466»

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Pirusu wrote: »

initiate: DVI and HDMI are going to give you the exact same video signal. It's even encoded the same, the only real difference is that HDMI can carry audio, and has the different connector. So using HDMI for the PS3, and DVI for your PC would work just fine.

Cool beans. Guess that's what I'll do then. The only issue may be audio for the ps3. This monitor has built in speakers but I've heard they're not the best. Probably good enough for gaming though. If not I'm sure I can figure something out.

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    boughtg.png

Can you guys see any problems with this? I'll be using a 5570 1GB Low profile GPU in it with a DVD drive and a 1tb Samsung HDD. I bought it as a budget gaming rig tbh and it looked good to me but I've been told to not bother *shrugs*

Big Classy on
  • Options
    PirusuPirusu Pierce Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    That looks fine to me. Your 5570 will be better than integrated graphics, but it will be what's limiting you.

Pirusu on
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Its only a temp temporary solution as budget is pretty right right now. Gonna buy a gtx 460 eventually

Big Classy on
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Another day another NewEgg sale. Memory just keeps getting cheaper, with G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 going for just $75 with promo code EMCKHJE54. Also $10 off promo codes on both the 1TB and 2TB Samsung Spinpoint HD's, and 10% off all Corsair power supplies.

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    jaziekjaziek Bad at everything And mad about it.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    A friend asked me if I could upgrade the memory on his netbook, and I said yes, thinking it would be as simple as doing it on a regular laptop. Oh hell no. I'm not sure whether I want to do this or not.

jaziek on
    Steam ||| SC2 - Jaziek.377 on EU & NA. ||| Twitch Stream
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Iolo wrote: »
    Another day another NewEgg sale. Memory just keeps getting cheaper, with G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 going for just $75 with promo code EMCKHJE54. Also $10 off promo codes on both the 1TB and 2TB Samsung Spinpoint HD's, and 10% off all Corsair power supplies.

DAMN

I bought 4 gigs or Ripjaws a few months ago, filling up all my DIMMS.

That's a sexy price for memory. People should jump on that if they need or have been wanting it.
    jaziek wrote: »
    A friend asked me if I could upgrade the memory on his netbook, and I said yes, thinking it would be as simple as doing it on a regular laptop. Oh hell no. I'm not sure whether I want to do this or not.

What kind of laptop is it? I had a Dell, and you needed to unscrew one part on the bottom and remove the keyboard. After you do it once it's a snap.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Zerocz wrote: »
    SkutSkut wrote: »
    Foomy wrote: »
    tsmvengy wrote: »
    so my old case (I hope it was just the case), an Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case, has died, what's a similar in size replacement, hopefully not too expensive?

How does a case die?

The power button has become brittle and broke. I think it snapped as I was cleaning parts earlier today.

I just bought a new case that has that problem already. I know I could probably return it, but don't want to be without a computer for the week or two it would take. I just turned it on at the motherboard, and have left it on for about a week now. Any electricians here who could recommend a workaround? Otherwise I'll just have to leave it on forever.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812201029&cm_re=power_switch-_-12-201-029-_-Product ?

it's just a switch, any switch in the world will do, you could even just run a couple of wires to the outside of your case from the 2 pins on your motherboard and touch them together.

Oh man, thank you, you just saved me like, $60.

Now how do I install said switch, guides anywhere? working with this case is a hassle. In the front with all the switches at least.

Wait, did the actual electrical switch break, or just the cosmetic plastic button that designers stick over it? The latter happens all the time; the former is quite rare.

If it's the plastic button built into the front bezel, it's probably impossible to get just that part.
    **edit: The solution for this is to either fix it with some glue or tape or something, or just bypass it and go straight to the electrical switch.**

If it's the actual electrical switch, Radio Shack or a similar parts store would have them. Specifically, you want a momentary, normally-open, switch. Getting it to sit in just the right spot might be challenging, but it'll work fine. You can also just drill a hole and mount the button wherever you like. Blank drive placeholders work well for the purpose.
    the plastic part broke but took a part of metal with it, I'll stop by radio shack on the way to the bank too.

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Newegg has a GTX 460 1Gb for $120. Via Slickdeals.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Newegg has a GTX 460 1Gb for $120. Via Slickdeals.

DAMN IT!!!

That's a good deal. Anyone who didn't already buy theirs might want to consider that card. It can max out pretty much anything and run full physX on it.

Damn it... I'm going to start slowly assembling computers when parts are individually on sale instead of seeing everything I bought systematically go on sale in the weeks following

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    One of you guys needs to make a new thread so I don't have to feel so guilty about abandoning the OP.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    LLC, are you going to do a new thread?

EDIT: Whoops. Answered. :(

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    There comes a time in the age of one's PC that looking at Newegg brings only pain and suffering.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Well, it's been a damn fine thread (in which I bought components for and built my first PC). Thanks again.

<sniff>

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited February 2011
    Closing up this thread (wow you guys got away from me on this one). Somebody ping me to sticky the new one when it's up.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited February 2011
    Still waiting on somebody to create that fancy new computer build thread.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

This discussion has been closed.