As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hesher] Punishment Is Absolute

• Options
    MgcwMgcw Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    autothrall wrote: »
    Don't forget, Mustaine has Risk to shove in the face of anyone who tries :D

I have a friend who dislikes Metallica because they are "popular" yet loves Megadeth I bring up Risk every time I get a chance. Point taken on not being as shitty AS "Sweating Bullets" but I took it as Morgenstern saying that they were the crappiest of crappy Blind Guardian songs, not that they were actually a giant abortion on the level of "Sweating Bullets".

I like Hate's album Anaclasis, "Razorblade" is a fun song.

Mgcw on
  • Options
    autothrallautothrall Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Eh, A Twist in the Myth is good. It's not great, but it's good. It might be the worst Blind Guardian record, but that's like having a worst Superbowl victory. You still won, you still got the ring, and you probably have a very large TV. And get laid a lot. By persons other than your wife.

However, this 30-second Blind Guardian clip is not all that interesting. Stock anthem stuff without much of a catchy chorus. I'm assuming the album as a whole will have a lot better to offer than this.

And for fuck's sake, when are we getting our next incredible power metal album?

Also Narian, I guess the singer from Hour of Penance quit and is solely working in Fleshgod Apocalypse now. Thought you might be interested in that. And I guess there might be some drummer problems.

autothrall on
  • Options
    METAzraeLMETAzraeL Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    On the power metal front, Stormwarrior might have a new one out this year. They said they were aiming for Spring/early Summer, but that's probably no good.

New Angra soon.

I'd like some news from Carpathian Forest already.

METAzraeL on

dream a little dream or you could live a little dream
    sleep forever if you wish to be a dreamer
  • Options
    NarianNarian Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Hate has a few decent albums. I think they've grown better with age. Believe it or not, they've actually been playing death metal longer than Behemoth.

Yeah their last three albums have been really good.
    And for fuck's sake, when are we getting our next incredible power metal album?
    Here's hoping Kamelot brings back the power from their earlier albums with their new album. Ghost Opera felt cold, and overall a bit disappointing.

edit: Nice call on the new Stormwarrior, I was listening to Heading Northe over the weekend and thought I read about a new album being made.
    Also Narian, I guess the singer from Hour of Penance quit and is solely working in Fleshgod Apocalypse now. Thought you might be interested in that. And I guess there might be some drummer problems.

Oh lame, I read about the 'drummer problems' (he destroyed a 52" TV at a bar supposedly) but I hadn't seen anything about Francesco Paoli leaving, got a link? Can't complain though, Paradogma was excellent and Fleshgod Apocalypse is a bit more interesting than Hour of Penance.

Narian on
    Narian.gif
  • Options
    yakulyakul Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I think I'm going to ignore the new PoS unless someone says otherwise, because the EP for it was pretty bad

yakul on
  • Options
    I N V I C T U SI N V I C T U S Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    New PoS isn't bad. Certainly better than Scarsick. They're pretty much done with metal, so that's something some people might have to get past in order to like it. I'd recommend giving another track or two a listen, seeing as "Linoleum" is the only song that's on both the EP and the album.

I N V I C T U S on
    BY THE HOARY FUCKING HOSTS!
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Sanctuary are coming back to make a new album....

Tav on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Tav wrote: »
    Sanctuary are coming back to make a new album....

Did they ever really leave though? We've had Nevermore the whole time.

Actually, they probably timed this announcement for when the latest Nevermore was finished.

autothrall on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Yeah, I'm not quite understanding the point of another record under the name Sanctuary?

Mgcw on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Mgcw wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm not quite understanding the point of another record under the name Sanctuary?

Well, it looks like Warrel wants to work with Lenny again. So wouldn't make sense to have it be Nevermore.

autothrall on
  • Options
    CandlemassCandlemass Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Three songs into the new PoS and I'm already liking it a lot more than Scarsick. Keep in mind that I did like the EP.

Candlemass on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Makes sense. I guess I'm just not familiar enough with the esoteric rituals behind when and when not to use your former/current/future band names :lol:

Mgcw on
  • Options
    yakulyakul Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    New PoS isn't bad. Certainly better than Scarsick. They're pretty much done with metal, so that's something some people might have to get past in order to like it. I'd recommend giving another track or two a listen, seeing as "Linoleum" is the only song that's on both the EP and the album.

First couple of songs are okay, definitely a big improvement over Scarsick. Too bad that they aren't doing metal anymore.

"Sisters" is actually quite nice

yakul on
  • Options
    FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Then perhaps I can get your opinion on THIS:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyayloODWrc

From one of my favorite metal albums of all time :)

(Ignore the later slides, this particular track is from Deception Ignored which is quite different than their other records).

Dude, this owns. I need more thrash, it goes so well with driving.

Also I just started listening to Death in earnest. Scream Bloody Gore was one of my first metal albums but I couldn't fully appreciate it at the time. :oops:

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Fallout wrote: »

Idiots. Black metal is obviously about invoking the quintessence of Satan via sonic warfare in the name of the Six Horns; locking sights on the lambs of god and spiritually carpet-bombing them for the Unchrist.

You'd be surprised actually at how accurate this is.

Also, is 'Unchrist' taken for a band name yet? Get on that.

Unfortunately. Nice logo but they have terrible song titles, like "The Wolves of the Forest". I mean, really?

Their split album buddies Bahimiron came up with a good one in "Texas Witch Hammer", though.

edit: late as hell, lololo. They actually are decent!

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Mgcw wrote: »
    I thought there was a falling out there and they were planning on an album with John Bush again? Boy, somebody must be pissed.

Nah, this is brand news.

Also, is it a bad thing that I cannot tell this band...

from this one?

This is the stuff kids request me to review :(

I've seen Carnifex live

they suck live too

edit: My thrice-nightly Summoning summoning rituals aren't working so far. Anyone have any tips? Do Austrians prefer certain scents or precious metals?

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    Futt BuckerFutt Bucker CTRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010

Idiots. Black metal is obviously about invoking the quintessence of Satan via sonic warfare in the name of the Six Horns; locking sights on the lambs of god and spiritually carpet-bombing them for the Unchrist.

You'd be surprised actually at how accurate this is.

Also, is 'Unchrist' taken for a band name yet? Get on that.

Unfortunately. Nice logo but they have terrible song titles, like "The Wolves of the Forest". I mean, really?

Their split album buddies Bahimiron came up with a good one in "Texas Witch Hammer", though.

edit: late as hell, lololo. They actually are decent!

Anyone who takes their album name from an episode of Batman: The Animated Series is alright in my book.

Futt Bucker on
    My color is black to the blind
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Dude, this owns. I need more thrash, it goes so well with driving.

Then you are going to LOVE my RYM list :)

autothrall on
  • Options
    valfathervalfather Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    New Keep of Kalessin. Listened once, it's alright but so far I still prefer the last album.

valfather on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Didn't really care for the new Keep of Kalessin at all, but it's hardly the sodden pile of shit a lot of internet scumbags are making it to be.

And now, I unveil my latest educational tool for the would be thrasher, or the AGED thrasher who might seek a sound he hasn't heard.
    Autothrall's 250 Poseur-Free Thrash Classics!

This will be the first of numerous, similar projects I conduct, which will ultimately save me time when people ask for recommendations. It is quite an exhaustive list.

autothrall on
  • Options
    NarianNarian Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Make it public auto

Narian on
    Narian.gif
  • Options
    GreyHunter316GreyHunter316 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Know what I'm gonna be spendin the next month goin through.

GreyHunter316 on
  • Options
    AdrenalineAdrenaline Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Requesting death metal version!

Adrenaline on
    I will show you fear in a handful of dust
  • Options
    edited May 2010
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    awesome! thanks <3

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    today I was wondering why I don't listen to more bolt thrower, so I started listening to more bolt thrower

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3W6dUtUcsVI

It's like I'm some sort of problem solving batsuperman.

L|ama on
  • Options
    RotamRotam Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    That is some list, hoping to start working through that, in my own imitable fashion.

Master of puppets will always be cool, fuck the haters. Seen those guys last night, Seek and Destroy + beach balls = Awesome

Rotam on
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    the tickets for the metallica shows here sold out in like 15 minutes, glad I wasn't even trying to get one.

L|ama on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Rotam wrote: »
    That is some list, hoping to start working through that, in my own imitable fashion.

The death metal list is 400, but it includes everything up to the year 2000.

Will take me a few weeks to write up the descriptions for that one, but trust me, it's sick.

I will at some point make lists for more modern thrash and death too, as well as doom, black metal, and other genres. Trying to be as comprehensive as possible.

autothrall on
  • Options
    NargorothRiPNargorothRiP Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    thanks for the list auto! fair few ones never heard of, also quite nice to see my own favorites reflected in your picks :)

NargorothRiP on
  • Options
    MorgensternMorgenstern ICH BIN DER PESTVOGEL DU KAMPFAFFE!Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Inquisition here in July in a very small club.

Time to get my kvlt on.

Morgenstern on
    “Every time we walk along a beach some ancient urge disturbs us so that we find ourselves shedding shoes and garments or scavenging among seaweed and whitened timbers like the homesick refugees of a long war.” - Loren Eiseley
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    thanks for the list auto! fair few ones never heard of, also quite nice to see my own favorites reflected in your picks :)

No problem. Yeah, I mean for these to be comprehensive (n00b friendly) so they will definitely include a lot of known releases. The good thing is that I'm at a point now where I've overturned almost every single known older release through many hours of research, so these will be pretty final for their periods. I also like that they can be edited.

autothrall on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Listened to that Aspid album and 20 mins later still haven't picked my jaw up off the floor. Holy FUCK. That drummer rules.

Mgcw on
  • Options
    Futt BuckerFutt Bucker CTRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Ooo, New Forest Silence EP.

Futt Bucker on
    My color is black to the blind
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    New Dew-Scented coming out soon too

Adrenaline on
  • Options
    METAzraeLMETAzraeL Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Ooo, New Forest Silence EP.
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

even if it came at the wrong fucking season

ah, lame, three of the tracks are from his last ep

METAzraeL on

dream a little dream or you could live a little dream
    sleep forever if you wish to be a dreamer
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    New Masterplan album too!

Side note:

So I'm going for it, and starting a From the Dust Returned guild in WoW. It will be Horde-side, on the Darrowmere server. I'm recruiting one of each class (except Rogue, which I've got covered) to serve as raid mains. Alts will also be welcome, but I don't expect people to transfer more than 1 toon. Those classes who can, must have one healer or tank spec/off-spec so we can handle a raid. No dual-DPS spec paladins, shamans, druids, etc. The focus will be on casual raiding, EST Time, teamwork, and fun, with possibility for team PVP if we so decide. Mainly this would be for the upcoming Cataclysm xpac, but in the meantime we could do some ICC-10 if we can fill the roster. Get in touch if you're interested! And even if you're not, I could use nub signings for the guild charter.

autothrall on
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I used to play WoW super hardcore.

NO MORE

no moreeeeeee

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I'd be game, just got a free month.

Have a 74 belf disc heals priest I could transfer over possibly.

Adrenaline on