As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Thor] touch his hammer, you know you want it

11112131416

Posts

  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    If it meant more Thor and the Warriors Four, I'd be all for it.

  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Teen Thor is not an inherently bad idea

    But it's not the same as regular Thor. Regular Thor needs to be of a certain age, because an important part of her character is that he was an arrogant young man who developed true nobility, wisdom and humility. Teen Thor would likely just be asshole Thor, and asshole Thor is rather boring.

  • WishpigWishpig Registered User regular
    Solar wrote:
    Teen Thor is not an inherently bad idea

    But it's not the same as regular Thor. Regular Thor needs to be of a certain age, because an important part of her character is that he was an arrogant young man who developed true nobility, wisdom and humility. Teen Thor would likely just be asshole Thor, and asshole Thor is rather boring.

    A. We've seen plenty of teen Thor and he's actually pretty nice. He's arrogant, stubborn, overly eager to prove himself, and a bit dumb... but he's kind, honorable, and generally caring. I guess being thousands of years old gives your personality time to shift, eh? I wonder what caused the shift in his personality. That would actually be interesting to explore.

    B. Asshole Thor isn't boring. He's very entertaining in a Conan the barbarian like way.

    WARNING: Picture below may cause spontaneous growth of facial hair and/or body hair.
    622545-8-1261525714230.jpg

    Image by Sharpwriter on deviantart.com
  • azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    My point isnt that teen thor as told from his past is bad...there were no cell phones and high schools when that happen. Its the idea that you would deage him in todays world and treat him like hes going through puberty and put his secret identity in some Junior high school that would ruin it for me.

    Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Wishpig wrote:
    Solar wrote:
    Teen Thor is not an inherently bad idea

    But it's not the same as regular Thor. Regular Thor needs to be of a certain age, because an important part of her character is that he was an arrogant young man who developed true nobility, wisdom and humility. Teen Thor would likely just be asshole Thor, and asshole Thor is rather boring.

    A. We've seen plenty of teen Thor and he's actually pretty nice. He's arrogant, stubborn, overly eager to prove himself, and a bit dumb... but he's kind, honorable, and generally caring. I guess being thousands of years old gives your personality time to shift, eh? I wonder what caused the shift in his personality. That would actually be interesting to explore.

    B. Asshole Thor isn't boring. He's very entertaining in a Conan the barbarian like way.

    A. We know why he became arrogant, it's because he was the shining prince that everyone said was amazing and who could defeat any enemy in battle, so he thought he was the best and could do what he wanted, and Odin sent him down to Earth to learn humility and humanity.

    B. This is personal taste, and we've been over it before. My argument is that Thor isn't and shouldn't be Conan, and that actually never really has been in any good portrayals of his character. Besides, badass warriors are dime a dozen, I don't want Wolverine in a cape, I want Thor, noblest and most virtuous of all the Gods. A mini-series set before he became like that is fine, but not the regular series, about regular Thor. I don't want him reverting when he is fine as he is.

    Solar on
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Solar

    Thor isn't really the most noble or virtuous of all gods

    I mean he is plenty heroic

    but he isn't a saint or anything, the dude gets angry and has faults. I mean, it is fine to not like Asshole Thor, but the character has never been the most pure of all gods.

    CYpGAPn.png
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Sometimes he is basically the best of all of them

    Most selfless, most heroic, most honourable, most compassionate, most respectful to mortals

    And that's when I like him

    When people write him as this angry warrior I don't. JMS and then Gillen wrote my favourite Thor. He was introspective and wise and virtuous, which was great. That was my first experience of the character, and I compare every other one to it (Fraction's comes off poorly, I think, Bendis actually doesn't do a bad job).

  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Solar, you and me? On this matter? We're like this.

    I'm sure it has to do with my first exposure to the character (JMS's version) becoming the "real" version in my mind, but I'm OK with this. And, it's kind of inevitable anyway; my "real" Batman and Joker will forever be Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamill, no matter what anyone says or does.

  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    Just as mine will be Adam West and Cesar Romero. I offer Bat-apologies.

  • SiegfriedSiegfried Registered User regular
    Delduwath wrote:
    And, it's kind of inevitable anyway; my "real" Batman and Joker will forever be Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamill, no matter what anyone says or does.
    Truth.

    Portfolio // Twitter // Behance // Tumblr
    Kochikens wrote:
    My fav is when I can get my kiss on with other dudes.
  • azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    I was raised on adam west batman but I still prefer Kevin and Mark.

    Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Nothing wrong with 60s Batman though, and anyone who says otherwise is wrong.

    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    So that Tanarus, always saving the day, huh?

    Fear Itself 7.2
    Apparently through some sort of life force sharing koombiyah thing, Tanarus shows up where Thor's pyre was and everyone believes he was always the god of thunder. Everyone except Loki

  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote:
    So that Tanarus, always saving the day, huh?

    Fear Itself 7.2
    Apparently through some sort of life force sharing koombiyah thing, Tanarus shows up where Thor's pyre was and everyone believes he was always the god of thunder. Everyone except Loki

    Sounds pretty good to be honest. Too bad Fear Itself had to be an event, I'm sure if it stayed the original idea of a Thor/IIM crossover it would have worked much better.

    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Yeah yesterdays JiM kinda gave the background for the idea...but im still pretty convinced this is purely a temporary change before the avengers movie.

    Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • WishpigWishpig Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Solar wrote:
    Sometimes he is basically the best of all of them

    Most selfless, most heroic, most honourable, most compassionate, most respectful to mortals

    And that's when I like him

    When people write him as this angry warrior I don't. JMS and then Gillen wrote my favourite Thor. He was introspective and wise and virtuous, which was great. That was my first experience of the character, and I compare every other one to it (Fraction's comes off poorly, I think, Bendis actually doesn't do a bad job).

    I don't want Thor to be the "best of them". I want him to be be good. I don't want him to be Conan, although I love pre-banishment Thor in small douses. Just like you, I want him to be wise, and virtuous, and just a damn good guy, errr, god.

    HOWEVER, I don't ever want him to reach SUPERMAN levels of goody goody. Thor can be wise (especially since his rebirth), and he should be very heroic and honorable. But he should also have his faults. He kills, he definitely has a snapping point, and he's always had a level of arrogance about him that bubbles just beneath the surface (which he works hard to keep in check but I think that's what makes him so interesting).

    In short, I think JMS Thor was a perfect Thor.

    But for the record Thor is not "the best of all of them" and least not when it comes to morality and honor. That award goes to Sif. Many times Thor has strayed from the light, and many of those times it was SIF who brought him back. Not to mention it was Sif who lead the human resistance against him when Thor went kooky.

    Looking back on Factions work, I agree with you, I don't dig it. Bendis does a better job, he makes Thor's fuse a little short, but that's alright.
    Delduwath wrote:
    Solar, you and me? On this matter? We're like this.

    I'm sure it has to do with my first exposure to the character (JMS's version) becoming the "real" version in my mind, but I'm OK with this. And, it's kind of inevitable anyway; my "real" Batman and Joker will forever be Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamill, no matter what anyone says or does.

    JMS's version wasn't my first exposure to the character. But JMS did a fantastic job in Thor AFTER Ragnarok.You see a major shift in Thor's character during the events of Ragnarok (the fall of the avengers one). He's not DARKER, but he's much more solemn. He acts like a person whose seen they're entire world crumble and learned the true, disturbing, meaning of the universe... and yet still appreciates it and his duty. I think faction actually backtracked with the character, and Bendis (although the latter not nearly as much).

    Wishpig on
    WARNING: Picture below may cause spontaneous growth of facial hair and/or body hair.
    622545-8-1261525714230.jpg

    Image by Sharpwriter on deviantart.com
  • MastaPMastaP Registered User regular
    I don't think the Avengers movie really factors into it at all. I mean it's most likely all going to be resolved by the end of the next story arc. But that's because it's a superhero story.

  • MastaPMastaP Registered User regular
    I am super alright with the identity of Tanarus. Though i'm not thrilled with him being a Lackey

  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    Plz write up some spoilers for us.

    I am hells curious, and I don't know how many people on this forum are still reading Mighty regularly.

  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Tanarus is
    Ulik the Troll.

    Karnilla used her formidable magics to take advantage of the weakness in spacetime/whatever due to the fallout from Fear Itself and Thor's death to overwrite everyone's memories of Thor with Tanarus, who is Ulik in disguise. The king of Trolls, whose name I forget, is plotting with Karnilla and plans to take over Asgardia or something.

    Loki remained somewhat unaffected because of his recent resurrection and removal of himself from any form of destiny/fate

    CYpGAPn.png
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    Wow.

    That's pretty cool, actually.

  • WishpigWishpig Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Delduwath wrote:
    Solar, you and me? On this matter? We're like this.

    I'm sure it has to do with my first exposure to the character (JMS's version) becoming the "real" version in my mind, but I'm OK with this. And, it's kind of inevitable anyway; my "real" Batman and Joker will forever be Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamill, no matter what anyone says or does.
    HadjiQuest wrote:
    Wow.

    That's pretty cool, actually.

    I agree! I'm doing my wait a few months... then go on a nonstop comic reading frenzy and get up to date THING. It's more bearable than having to wait a month in-between comics.

    This whole thing makes Thor's death sound less gimmicky.

    Wishpig on
    WARNING: Picture below may cause spontaneous growth of facial hair and/or body hair.
    622545-8-1261525714230.jpg

    Image by Sharpwriter on deviantart.com
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    and Thor is
    "alive" with a bunch of other dead gods on a bunch of ships that are sailing into Demogorge's mouth

    he is skinnier and weaker than normal though

    CYpGAPn.png
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote:
    and Thor is
    "alive" with a bunch of other dead gods on a bunch of ships that are sailing into Demogorge's mouth

    he is skinnier and weaker than normal though

    See I am far more interested in that than what is going on at home

    I can see why they are looking at that but really meh, give me the cosmic adventure stuff any day

  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    To be fair the home story is pretty cosmic

    the All-Mothers are uniting all of the various peoples of the 9 realms into one giant republic, Asgardia.

    CYpGAPn.png
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Yeah which is great and all

    But I think it would be better to do that in JiM through the eyes of Loki and leave Mighty Thor to, well, Thor.

    Loki's point of view is better for politics and so on anyway, and much as I love him I prefer Thor. So, you know, I'd like him to show up for more than a couple of pages in his own series.

  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Yeah but it is for one issue and is dealing with his death

    it makes sense that he would not make an appearance, especially given the whole Tanarus thing

    CYpGAPn.png
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    It would

    I just found the other stuff kind of boring

    I was like "yeah cool whatever where's Thor"

  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    but

    that is kind of the point?

    You are supposed to be like Loki right now WHAT THE FUCK THIS ISN'T RIGHT WHERE IS THOR FUCK THIS GUY

    CYpGAPn.png
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Yeah well

    It worked

  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    Did the issue show
    Dr. Donald Blake at all? He was clearly at the big festival at the end of 7.2

  • Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    Yeah, he comes into play near the end.

    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • MastaPMastaP Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    HadjiQuest wrote:
    Did the issue show
    Dr. Donald Blake at all? He was clearly at the big festival at the end of 7.2
    Loki comes to Blake who works in the hospital and says "I remember Thor, do you?" and then the scene immediatly shifts to Thor waking up.

    MastaP on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Question: Kelda is a witch?

    I really do like the idea of Asgardia, although I can't wait for the reset button that justifies going back to the status quo. "Man that republic we had laid out sure didn't work with everyone having a say so, here Odin, rule over us all like the jerk you are!"

    TexiKen on
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    http://www.newsarama.com/php/multimedia/album.php?aid=44998

    Mighty Thor #9 first look

    Nice art from Ferry

  • DessartDessart Registered User regular
    So I picked up 3 issues from Simonson's run yesterday: 378, 379, 381. And holy shit is it amazing. The art, the storytelling, and freaking Beta Ray Bill. Utterly fantastic. If only the shop I went to was charging $4 an issue.

  • azith28azith28 Registered User regular

    Everytime someone reads Simonson's run of Thor, an angel gets its wings.

    I recommend the omnibus of walt's run on thor. its like epic from start to finish.

    Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    So JiM this week was amazing

    like, more than usual

    best Christmas story in ages

    CYpGAPn.png
  • TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    azith28 wrote:
    Everytime someone reads Simonson's run of Thor, an angel gets its wings.

    I recommend the omnibus of walt's run on thor. its like epic from start to finish.

    I got the JMS Omnibus last Christmas, and I'm getting the Gillen Ultimate Collection this year
    Guess I'll have to wish for the Simonsen Omni next year :P

    Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    I picked up Journey Into Mystery #632 simply because it deals with puppies, and it was the best. Thori! Dogs rule, cats drool.

    journeyintomystery632g.jpg

    TexiKen on
Sign In or Register to comment.