Options

[British Politics] Not As F****D As We Thought!

• Options
    The Fourth EstateThe Fourth Estate Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Sadly, yes.

The Fourth Estate on
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Yes. It's still up in the air though.

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    ÆthelredÆthelred Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I think they might end up really close. Like 3 short. That would be kind awkquard.

Here goes Jacqui.

Æthelred on
    pokes: 1505 8032 8399
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Æthelred wrote: »
    I think they might end up really close. Like 3 short. That would be kind awkquard.

Here goes Jacqui.

Ideal result would be 8 seats short or more, thus preventing the DUP from pushing them over.

The Fourth Estate on
  • Options
    Flippy_DFlippy_D Digital Conquistador LondonRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Well, I'm turning in. My general misery at this result is tempered by the fact I got a job today, but still... Interesting Times ahead.

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
  • Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Jacqui Smith is out. 8-)

Con is in. :(

815165 on
  • Options
    Space CoyoteSpace Coyote Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Here goes Jacqui.

There goes Jacqui.

Space Coyote on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Shit, I didn't see that Lembit Opik had lost. :(

815165 on
  • Options
    DemiurgeDemiurge Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    So looking at the BBC tally the results weird me out so far. But there's still 250 seats to be declared so I'm still a little hopeful the LibDems can make actual gains and not lose out.

I'm exicted about the prospect of a hung parliament though, a majority government is almost always a bad thing because there will rarely be any real debate.

Demiurge on
    DQ0uv.png 5E984.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Looking at the proportional map, the majority of undeclared seats are in london/yorkshire/north-west, which are likely to split evenly/55-45 tory. Going to be very close.

The Fourth Estate on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Okay, the whole of Northamptonshire is Cons now.

Æthelred on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Balls hold.

The Fourth Estate on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I have to go there on Saturday. :(

edit: Balls doesn't drop his seat :winky:

815165 on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

Mostly as the Lab/Lib vote was evenly split.

The Fourth Estate on
  • Options
    HarrierHarrier The Star Spangled Man Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    You know I can console myself with the fact that, in both Britain and the United States, the up and coming generation has a considerable antipathy toward conservative government. If the over-40 set doesn't burn down the world before my peers and I get into political power, we should be able to do a decent job of things.

Harrier on
    I don't wanna kill anybody. I don't like bullies. I don't care where they're from.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Lib Dems take out Charles Clarke.

815165 on
  • Options
    pots+panspots+pans Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    So 210 seats left, Tories need 107 for a majority right?

Fuck 4 more just got called

pots+pans on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    103 seats out of 200.

Going to be a squeaker.

The Fourth Estate on
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Demiurge wrote: »
    So looking at the BBC tally the results weird me out so far. But there's still 250 seats to be declared so I'm still a little hopeful the LibDems can make actual gains and not lose out.

I'm exicted about the prospect of a hung parliament though, a majority government is almost always a bad thing because there will rarely be any real debate.

Is there usually much debate with a minority government? In the US, as long as there aren't really big majorities, debate depends more on the attitude of the parties than their share of Congress; Republicans have swung between weak majorities and somewhat strong minorities in the last fourteen years, and they've never been particularly interested in substantive policy discussions with Democrats over that period.

104 needed out of 204 remaining, with just under half the seats taken so far. Looks possible to me, but it's going to be by a hair if so.

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I'm not british so I don't know much about the system, but the vote total to seat ratio seems unusual. The link on the first page has it at 7.5 mil con 5.5 mil labor 4.5mil LD, yet LD has drastically fewer seats than the others.

Jars on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Demiurge wrote: »

Is there usually much debate with a minority government? In the US, as long as there aren't really big majorities, debate depends more on the attitude of the parties than their share of Congress; Republicans have swung between weak majorities and somewhat strong minorities in the last fourteen years, and they've never been particularly interested in substantive policy discussions with Democrats over that period.

104 needed out of 204 remaining, with just under half the seats taken so far. Looks possible to me, but it's going to be by a hair if so.

Upfront, yes, going forward, not so much. The Party whip system in the UK is insane; it's an event whenever more than about 10 government MPs defy the whip.

The Fourth Estate on
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Jars wrote: »
    I'm not british so I don't know much about the system, but the vote total to seat ratio seems unusual. The link on the first page has it at 7.5 mil con 5.5 mil labor 4.5mil LD, yet LD has drastically fewer seats than the others.

It's perfectly usual, and why many of us want to overhaul the system.

Burnage on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    This is why the LD's are the ones campaigning for political reform. The system is ancient and super flawed.

815165 on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Shouldn't the Liberal Democrats start to gain seats more frequently now? They've still got numbers in the low 60's, and right now they're only at 36. Their remaining 20-30 seats should all start coming in the next 200, right?

Harrier on
    I don't wanna kill anybody. I don't like bullies. I don't care where they're from.
  • Options
    Anarchy Rules!Anarchy Rules! Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

It's a result of the first past the post system that is wonderfully undemocratic.

Anarchy Rules! on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Hm, 16k for Blears. Could be gone with that.

.. Nope, spread saved her.

Æthelred on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Hazel Blears re-elected. :(

815165 on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Alternatively, no conservative gain.

The Fourth Estate on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Tories need 96 out of 182. Getting ridiculously tense.

The Fourth Estate on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    There's so many London seats left. Here's the breakdown for Greater London in 2005:

400px-LondonParliamentaryConstituency2005Results.svg.png

Labour 44
    Conservative 21
    Lib Dem 8
    Respect 1

Æthelred on
  • Options
    JepheryJephery Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Harrier wrote: »
    You know I can console myself with the fact that, in both Britain and the United States, the up and coming generation has a considerable antipathy toward conservative government. If the over-40 set doesn't burn down the world before my peers and I get into political power, we should be able to do a decent job of things.

Wealth will corrupt the young as it has the old.

It is the way of things.

Jephery on
    }
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Jephery wrote: »

It is the way of things.
    Bear in mind that 'conservative' means two different things in the UK versus the US. I don't much like many of Cameron's ideas, but I can stomach him (though I won't really have to). McCain was quite awful.

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    tuxkamentuxkamen really took this picture. Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    236-181-36, 171 left. Hrm.

By the way, the holodeck is so much cooler than even on the Daily Show. :p

tuxkamen on

Games: Ad Astra Per Phalla | Choose Your Own Phalla
    Thus, the others all die before tuxkamen dies to the vote. Hence, tuxkamen survives, village victory.
    3DS: 2406-5451-5770
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    tuxkamen wrote: »
    236-181-36, 171 left. Hrm.

By the way, the holodeck is so much cooler than even on the Daily Show. :p
    That episode was really good. :^:

815165 on
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010

Well, one caveat with that is that people tend to get more conservative as they get older and start to feel they have a stake in the status quo. The boomers were going to change the world too, remember.

Also, as a foreign observer, the little party identification ribbons the UK candidates wear are hilarious.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Jephery wrote: »

It is the way of things.
    Bear in mind that 'conservative' means two different things in the UK versus the US. I don't much like many of Cameron's ideas, but I can stomach him (though I won't really have to). McCain was quite awful.
    And he's not the worst of them. Maybe the Conservatives are tolerable in Britain because they have to be (publicly) in favor of the NHS and public pensions and social welfare. Most Republicans are none of these things. They nakedly and unabashedly hate the poor, the disadvantaged, the outsider, the immigrant. It especially billows up in conservative talk radio.

And let me tell you something: speaking personally, I hate them just as much.

Harrier on
  • Options
    tuxkamentuxkamen really took this picture. Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    OH GOOD LORD VIRTUAL HOUSE OF COMMONS.

Next there'll be questgivers!

tuxkamen on

Games: Ad Astra Per Phalla | Choose Your Own Phalla
    Thus, the others all die before tuxkamen dies to the vote. Hence, tuxkamen survives, village victory.
    3DS: 2406-5451-5770
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Jeremy Vine just made a prediction: god I hope he's right.

Tory 306
    Labour 262
    Lib 55

The Fourth Estate on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    tuxkamen wrote: »
    OH GOOD LORD VIRTUAL HOUSE OF COMMONS.

Next there'll be questgivers!
    Turns out Britain is just another WoW clone.

815165 on
  • Options
    pots+panspots+pans Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Shit. My home town Winchester, a relatively safe lib dem seat has gone tory

pots+pans on