As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

skate ....4???

• Options
    xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I haven't had a chance to try it yet.

It looks fun from a high speed and ridiculous hang time angle.. I'll give it some attention when I get home tonight.

I need to crack open the park editor and build a park with awesome gaps and sweet grinds, which are my true love.

xzzy on
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I'm somewhere between the two. I love me some huge air to bust out some awesome tricks, but I love a simple course as well with some good gaps and grinds and getting a line to flow just right.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I tried to make a good mix of styles. You drop down a mega ramp, down the catch ramp (which you have you get a good pop to make it to the down angle), up the mega quarterpipe, and if you head straight back you have just enough speed to do some nifty street work in the area you jumped over. I still need to tweak that spot though.

Then there is a (wang) bowl behind the mega quarterpipe, and a bunch of little street spots scattered all around and in between areas.

Not to mention a smaller mega drop that can either go up to a long rail or down to a... long rail. And some benches/ tables.

I really wish the editor was a bit more in depth though. It feels a lot like legos at times. Maybe Skate 4 will improve it. I guess it can really only get better from here.

Then again, I think TF2 mapping has spoiled me with creative options.

UEAKCrash on
  • Options
    StorkStork Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Anyone on the ps3 version tonight?

Stork on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I had fun in the wang bowl Crash, but I'm kind of a sucker for verts so that may not mean much.

One problem I saw with the mega ramp is if you don't save a session marker up top.. there's no way to get back there. I didn't really explore much of the rest, ran out of time. I did make a few token attempts at some of the quarter pipes and ramps you got strewn around, couldn't really see the point of them but maybe I just need to experiment more.

xzzy on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Teleport is on the right side of the downward ramp if you are facing it. A lot of that middle section is dependent on coming down the mega ramp, which I guess is a design flaw.

Thanks for checking it out though.

UEAKCrash on
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I swear I spent 45 minutes the other day running along the top of a pipe just because it was difficult.

And then when I did it, i found a thinner pipe and somehow accomplished running the length of it.

There is something wrong with me.

Al_wat on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Maloof money is a dirty skank whore that will suck anything for pennies. I hate it and its family, relatives, friends and workmates so much.

It doesn't help that however much I try, I just can't get body flips to work with any kind of consistency. Maybe 1 out of 30 attempts actually results in anything other than a grab.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Yeah, I noticed that body flips are a tad more difficult to pull off this time.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Yeah they are a pain to do accurately.

Although I managed to do the terribly-named tie-in "Miracle Whip" for the achievement last night. I will never do another one. It looks like something out of Bony Cawks Pro Skater.

UEAKCrash on
  • Options
    BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Played some more last night. I didn't know people on your friends list would show up as a sort of ghost avatar in the game. At least I think that's what I saw. If not, sorry for knocking you over dude.

Anyhow. While I'm having a lot of fun with the game, I am plain awful. Just like real life. It's why I quit skating and took up the guitar. Still a lot of fun. I think I might be getting better, but there are a few challenges that I just fail over and over again and I'm the type of person that just grinds it over and over until it's finally completed and I've yelled at the TV for 20 minutes. I need to learn to stop and go do another challenge or something.

Bolthorn on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Yeah, people on your buddy list (PSN or XBL) that have the game will show up as random AI skaters (they'll have the (AI) tag after their name). Japh is currently filling a spot on my offline team.

Guess I should send a FR to xzzy and UEAKCrash as well then.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    It does seem odd that only people on your friends list shows up. You'd think anyone in your online team would show up too.

xzzy on
  • Options
    NickleNickle Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    darleysam wrote: »
    Maloof money is a dirty skank whore that will suck anything for pennies. I hate it and its family, relatives, friends and workmates so much.

It doesn't help that however much I try, I just can't get body flips to work with any kind of consistency. Maybe 1 out of 30 attempts actually results in anything other than a grab.

Walrus and I spent a while working on flips for one of the challenges, now they're pretty easy to pull off.

You have to be grabbing the board, and don't hit down or up until after you've left the ramp. You can grab the board going up the ramp if you want, but the timing of leave ramp->grab->flip works best for me. Not sure on the window, but you usually have almost a full second after you leave the ramp to start the flip.

If you hit down or up before leaving the ramp, nothing will happen.

Nickle on
    Xbox/PSN/NNID/Steam: NickleDL | 3DS: 0731-4750-6906
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    xzzy wrote: »
    It does seem odd that only people on your friends list shows up. You'd think anyone in your online team would show up too.

I wrecked the shit out of you the other night. I was going to take a video but I took too long to hit the button and it cut it off.

Is it just me or is there less time saved now?

Also, about the flips, that explains why I had such a hard time. The description acts like you have to hit the grab and flip button at the same time just as you are leaving the ramp.

Bastards.

UEAKCrash on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    The flipping hasn't bothered me much.. I kind of like the added complexity because it means I no longer accidentally do a flip when I was trying to do a grab+grind or something.

And yes, I tend to punch the shit out of ghost skaters. I don't know why it amuses me so much, it's not like the person it represents will ever know I did it. I guess it's true about anonymity making people assholes.

xzzy on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    You do not punch me and my mohawk.

UEAKCrash on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    You're right, I don't. I slap you in the face with my deck.

In the middle of a grind!

xzzy on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Dick!

Just wait, zizzle. Just you wait.

UEAKCrash on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Cheers nickle, will try that out later. And teammates do show up, even if they're not on your friends list.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    krylon666krylon666 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I'm having a hell of a time doing the point accumulator at the Park n Play Own the Lot. It's 10,000 points in 2 mins or 1.5 mins. I guess I'm not getting my multiplier up enough or something, but the closest I got so far was like 8000 I think. Any standard big point combos?

krylon666 on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Pretty much just get the 3x multiplier as soon as you can and do lots of fast big air tricks or long grinds. I haven't done that area yet, but if there is a half pipe, it shouldn't be too rough to pump out some vert to get that score.

UEAKCrash on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    It's all street course. Lots of good grind spots, but mostly just flat ground. I'll just need to work on getting the 3x multiplier quickly, then keep doing grinds I guess.

krylon666 on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    So I just sent XBL requests to Crash and Nickle. Anyone else want an extra skater roaming the streets?

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I like the realistic tag.

Makes it 10x better.

UEAKCrash on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    If the servers will let me upload it, i'm rather proud of the video I've just done.. yes! Uploaded!

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Gonna link us?

UEAKCrash on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I think I applied for the LoDT team, but it wasn't very.. informative. My GT is the same as my name. Feel free to friend me if you want another dude riding around. I'm already getting joystick thumb from this game.

krylon666 on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    UEAKCrash wrote: »
    Gonna link us?

No!
    What I mean is, my phone hates the skate site, so i'll turn my pc on and do it in a bit.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=intLhf2QWUE
    finally messed around in hardcore, not that hard once you get into it

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Ahahaha, the thumbs up at the end rules.

UEAKCrash on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I'd already hit replay and was fiddling with it, then thought "wait.. I've got time to throw in a gesture!"

AI skaters are just a giant bullseye on wheels, as far as I'm concerned.

edit: apologies for the camerawork at the start, I got bored after fiddling with it for what felt like half an hour

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRpWK4Ios3I

Myself, Chris Cole and Senor10's AI clone gettin' our skate on.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    So has anyone played using Isaac Clarke yet?

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Yeah, put that on, plus zombies for a bit. Fun times.

Then I used miniskater and it quickly turned to surreality.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Meat man is pretty hilarious. I get disoriented when trying tricks due to the lack of legs though.

Al_wat on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    http://skate.ea.com/user/gallery?personaId=187815214#itemId=342852

Xzzy has been taken the fuuuck down.

The speed got fucked up in there somehow between saving it and loading it though. Good enough.

edit: eehhh I hate this site. I'll get it in a second.

edit: there we go.

editagain: For good measure...

Probably my favorite hardcore line I've done

A hardcore mode darkslide that I baaaarely pulled off flipping out of.

I enjoy this park.

UEAKCrash on
  • Options
    BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Anyone else on the PS3 want to get a team going? I've done the whole sell 1 million boards thing in the single player and now just going through and doing the solo challenges doesn't seem as rewarding without some kind of goal. I'm still not all that great, you can check out my profile and my very bland videos if you'd like for proof. One of them looks extremely terrible thanks to the camera angle that didn't display that way until the actual rendering. Still, might be fun. Or if someone has a team already and wouldn't mind someone who has a 4 month old so doesn't get to play every night aboard, invite me up. I'm guessing this game is more fun with other people.

Bolthorn on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Some videos for your perusal.

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgGk4QMygB0

Spot yourself, win a prize.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEGAvRTd0KE
    The prize is a facepalm.

Grinding this thing.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQbOMJX5od4