Options

Help me chew out a Gamestop Register biscuit!

2»

• Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    STILL annoyed with GS but that's more because they had the nerve to charge me full price for a game they chucked into the drawer, but that's not a battle worth fighting right now.

I...I don't understand why this is causing you such anger.

Have you never received defective merchandise before?

Also:
    Shadowfire: I tried it on another computer and it ran fine. Still returning it, but now I know the annoyance lies with Bethesda and not GS.

You mean the game you just bought works fine on another computer? And you're still pissed? Because of your hardware? I just don't.....I don't even

Deadfall on
    7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    robotbebop wrote: »
    Since you've bought this game legitimately, you can register it with Steam and then download it. At least that's how I understand the process.

See this screenshot in the lower left hand corner there's an Add Game button; clicking that allows you to enter the CD key of a game. I think that should let you download it after, but I dunno, I haven't actually done that before.

This is helpful. Also, go get a debit card from your bank, you non-CC having biscuit.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    robotbebop wrote: »
    Since you've bought this game legitimately, you can register it with Steam and then download it. At least that's how I understand the process.

See this screenshot in the lower left hand corner there's an Add Game button; clicking that allows you to enter the CD key of a game. I think that should let you download it after, but I dunno, I haven't actually done that before.

You can only do that with certain games.

So anyway, now that the problem has been identified to be the disc drive, why does the game need to be returned? Update your drivers or something.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Deadfall wrote: »
    Also:
    Shadowfire: I tried it on another computer and it ran fine. Still returning it, but now I know the annoyance lies with Bethesda and not GS.

You mean the game you just bought works fine on another computer? And you're still pissed? Because of your hardware? I just don't.....I don't even

Guys, just so you know, this is not an issue with drivers or firmware. It's a shitty copy protection scheme used by certain companies that creates an incompatibility with certain drives. As I said, this same problem happened with my wife's old computer... Blizzard games would not install, but I could use the same discs on my system just fine. Installing a new DVD drive on her system fixed the problem completely, but that's bullshit. The discs should have just damn well worked as is.

Muffin: Be nice about it, but if you really don't like how this is turning out, contact the store and tell them what's going on. Let them know that you cannot get the game to install with your DVD drive, but just to test, you got the autorun menu to come up on a friend's system. More than likely they will help you out (though it may be a store credit... this all depends on the manager). If they're being dicks, contact Bethesda and again explain the situation. They may have a workaround for it.

Failing all that, seriously, either borrow the drive from your friend/other computer, get them to try and copy the disc and see if the copy works, or "do what you have to do" to get the game onto your system. If you have something like Daemon Tools, you may even be able to pull an ISO file from the disc and mount it on your HD to get the install done. Arrath mentioned using FOOM, so once it's installed, skipping the DVD check is easy.

Seriously, this is a shitty situation, and one of the two companies involved (GS/Bethsoft) should damn well help you out. If they don't, there are other avenues to investigate. You may also want to get someone like The Consumerist involved if neither company helps you... bad customer service and all that.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    There are a shit ton of DVD drives on the market, and because a game won't read in a particular drive, that means you need to get The Consumerist involved?

How old of a computer are we talking here anyway for the factory DVD drive not to work with Fallout 3? Would the game even run on a computer with such a fossil of a drive?

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    If both companies refuse to help, then yes, you get someone else involved. Seriously, this kind of thing is exactly where they can help.

And it has nothing at all to do with age. It never has. There are thousands of DVD drives on the market. Not everything is properly compatible, particularly when copy protection starts checking out the hardware more than was intended when the DVD spec was created. In the example I used with my wife, her old computer was purchased in 2002, the same year that Warcraft 3 was released, and that game wouldn't install (nor would any other Blizz titles).

Seriously, hardware + copy protection do not always get along.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Figgy wrote: »
    There are a shit ton of DVD drives on the market, and because a game won't read in a particular drive, that means you need to get The Consumerist involved?

I think you're confused. Consumer excessively outraged at one party when the actual error is on a third party, mixed in with some irritating but clearly outlined policies from the original party culminating, ultimately, in a mild inconvenience.

This is a perfect story for Consumerist to get involved.

admanb on
  • Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    If only there was pre-configured PC hardware that would run a game virtually every time. maybe it should come with gaming specialized input devices and pre-configured options for cheat-free online play...when will they invent that?

ANYWAY... i have to chime in that the game being in a drawer means utterly nothing. They keep inventory in drawers at gamestop. They do that. They like to grab things straight out of the of the drawer or pile or back room or whatever. It cuts down on re-shelving.

Also? "Gypped?" not the prefered nomenclature.

JohnnyCache on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Wow, you bought a game that wouldn't run in your PC due to your PC, not due to Gamestop, and you're still pissed off?

And people on this forum sometimes try to call ME a jerk. Sheesh.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    Mmmm... Cocks...Mmmm... Cocks... Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    Wow, you bought a game that wouldn't run in your PC due to your PC, not due to Gamestop, and you're still pissed off?

And people on this forum sometimes try to call ME a jerk. Sheesh.
    You're a jerk, you posted in H&A with no H or A.

As everyone said, just take it back for a replacement, but try it on another drive quickly.
    Even if it doesn't work on yours there are plently of ways around installing on your computer with your drive.
    IE using another drive on your network, or making an image of the DVD.

Mmmm... Cocks... on
  • Options
    liquidloganliquidlogan Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    But it is pretty evident from what we've discussed that a replacement isn't going to help him if it is an issue with the drive + copy protection. Hopefully Bethesda can help him find a work around, but other than that I think we are well past the point that this is a Gamestop problem.

OP, you may need to uninstall some of the third-party burning software that you have. A quick Google search suggests that might be a solution.

liquidlogan on
This discussion has been closed.