[Red Dead Redemption] Wherein Ceno learns what horse deeds do 25 hours in.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Kris_xK wrote: »
    So, the "Flowers for a Lady" subquest (Completion spoilers)
    o_O
    :shock:
    D:

This quest highlights one thing I like about Marston.

You're a fucking dick when people are nutso. "I just recalled I had something to do back on planet earth."

You do this in story mode too but its always hilarious to me.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • l337CrappyJackl337CrappyJack Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Sheep wrote: »
    Is there a stable or something where I can go to check out my horses/stats/find out which one I need to get that achievement?

So far I've only gotten the starter horse, which has become loyal, and I have broken a golden horse that I got doing one of the beginning quests.

The three best horses have deeds available in general stores. If they're listed as not available and you haven't bought that deed, then you haven't broken one yet. Press Y on their deed to get a brief description of the horse. The one you get from Bonnie is one of them. The next is a white stallion, which you can find in Mexico, and the last is a black horse, somewhere in West Elizabeth.

l337CrappyJack on
  • TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Kris_xK wrote: »
    So, the "Flowers for a Lady" subquest (Completion spoilers)
    o_O
    :shock:
    D:

You didn't see that coming?

Like, seriously?!

I dunno, I was like
    They can't possibly do this twice with the whole lady who's waiting for her dead husband stranger mission.

TehSloth on
    FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2010
    Is "Flowers for a Lady" the one with the crazy old woman?

Sheep on
  • SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Duels, and a lot of other things, are really poorly explained. They needed to work a hell of a lot more on their mission structure. There aren't really a lot of tutorials.

Also hey for the Bollard Twins outfit: do Bollard Twins bounties ever start showing up again? I just keep getting anonymous Walton gang boys. I guess I don't really care that much because it isn't as cool as a poncho but I'd like to collect the outfits.

Where are you looking for the Bollard Twins wanted posters? I'm pretty sure you only find them near the McFarlane ranch (although once I completed the challenges to unlock the outfit, the Bollard Twins bounties disappeared even from there.

SammyF on
  • Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Argh I should not have clicked on TehSloth's spoiler.

Sheepy, its the flower picking mission for the old man.

Kris_xK on
    calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    SammyF wrote: »
    Duels, and a lot of other things, are really poorly explained. They needed to work a hell of a lot more on their mission structure. There aren't really a lot of tutorials.

Also hey for the Bollard Twins outfit: do Bollard Twins bounties ever start showing up again? I just keep getting anonymous Walton gang boys. I guess I don't really care that much because it isn't as cool as a poncho but I'd like to collect the outfits.

Where are you looking for the Bollard Twins wanted posters? I'm pretty sure you only find them near the McFarlane ranch (although once I completed the challenges to unlock the outfit, the Bollard Twins bounties disappeared even from there.

Hmmm. I guess I look on the map, but I found them at Armadiller most of the time. Maybe they don't pop up on the map until you activate them by being in town? Like, usually I see a guy put one up and then see a little skull on the map.

Hm. I'll check it out. Where are bounties posted at the ranch?

durandal4532 on
    Do what you can to elect Harris/Walz and downticket Dem candidates in your area by doorknocking, phonebanking, or postcarding: https://www.mobilize.us/
  • pantsypantsy Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

Bollard Twins bounties appear at McFarlane Ranch. Walton Gang at Armadillo. Treasure Hunters at Rathskeller Fork. Mexican Banditos at Chuparosa, and random criminals at Blackwater.

The best way I've found to get bounties to come up is to do an activity in town, then rest there for a night.

pantsy on
  • WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Regarding American Appetites:
    What?! Jesus, you have to be quick on your feet for a lot of stuff in this game. I read the post above and nothing like that happened for me. I went to the spot, didn't take too much time, but I wasn't exactly racing there. All I found was a slpash of blood, a femur, and a shoe.

This game is much more open than I thought.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
    edited May 2010
    Sheep wrote: »
    Is there a stable or something where I can go to check out my horses/stats/find out which one I need to get that achievement?

So far I've only gotten the starter horse, which has become loyal, and I have broken a golden horse that I got doing one of the beginning quests.

The three best horses have deeds available in general stores. If they're listed as not available and you haven't bought that deed, then you haven't broken one yet. Press Y on their deed to get a brief description of the horse. The one you get from Bonnie is one of them. The next is a white stallion, which you can find in Mexico, and the last is a black horse, somewhere in West Elizabeth.

Wait the palomino stallion was one of the best horses?

Fuck. Now I'm even more pissed off at the cougars.

SammyF on
  • CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    One thing that has really surprised me so far is how much I still enjoy traveling between locations. Something about actively riding my horse across the beautiful frontier is just endlessly appealing.

Riding around in South Cholla Springs last night I think I stumbled onto a whole army of wolves. I was hunting around for a few wolves to complete one of the Hunter Challenges. Well I got way more than I bargained for, as I spent the next 10 minutes alternating between fighting off the seemingly endless waves of wolf packs (5-6 at a time) and trying to skin them in the very short interval between attacks. When the dust had cleared and I finally scared away the last few attackers, I counted 30 wolf pelts, 30 slabs of wolf meat, and 11 wolf hearts. At least I got around $1000 for my troubles 8-)

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Sarksus wrote: »
    Haven't turned on my Xbox in 3 months. Get this game, pop it in and as soon as it loads up: red ring of death.

Just complaining, that's all.

Jaaaaaay, what!

Damnit, letting the Xbox sit always seems to bring problems. Try and get it working and you can play with your good bar friends! :(

That's the plan. I fucked around with it for about 15 minutes--you know putting it in different positions, turning it upside down, that kind of thing. It was clearly fucked, so I just took it to UPS and shipped off to be repaired. Should get it back in 2-3 weeks, so hopefully you guys will still be play. At least I don't have to wait for them to send me a coffin anymore.

Sark, I don't think I have your XBL ID. Send me a PM with it and I'll add you to my friend list.

GoodKingJayIII on
    Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Torso BoyTorso Boy Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Re: Poppycock stranger mission, given by Mr. Tollets in Chuparosa:
    So I deliver his package and return to him. I can give him the $1000 or keep it for myself (or give it to him, kill him and take the money). For anyone who has gotten further than I have, is there any advantage to letting him have the money? There's usually a decent return in missions like this, but if so, it'll be later down the road. If there's no reason to let him have the money, I could really use it.

Torso Boy on
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Seriously bros. What's the strategy for knife-hunting cougars?

So far, my strategy is:

1. Find a location that tends to have cougars (of course)
    2. Stay on your horse.
    3. Jog/trot your horse around to try and bait a cougar into attacking.
    4. When the cougar attacks, try to swipe at him with your knife from horseback.
    5. Accept that step 4 will fail.
    6. Once your horse is dead and you're on-foot, face the cougar and hold LT to ready your knife.
    7. Time your strike so that you're mid-swing when the cougar is lunging at you.
    8. Don't be surprised when step 7 fails too.
    9. Reload your previous save.

I have about a 1/5 success rate with this strategy. It is a bad strategy. I hope it's possible to roll out of the way of a cougar strike and run up on the cougar on your own terms, but I haven't had a chance to try that.

Renzo on
    edited May 2010
    Torso Boy wrote: »
    So I deliver his package and return to him. I can give him the $1000 or keep it for myself (or give it to him, kill him and take the money). For anyone who has gotten further than I have, is there any advantage to letting him have the money? There's usually a decent return in missions like this, but if so, it'll be later down the road. If there's no reason to let him have the money, I could really use it.

You can't complete the mission until you give it to him. Completing the mission goes toward your completion and is a necessary step in unlocking an outfit.
    Renzo wrote: »

So far, my strategy is:

2. Stay on your horse.
    6. Once your horse is dead and you're on-foot, face the cougar and hold LT to ready your knife.

I have about a 1/5 success rate with this strategy. It is a bad strategy. I hope it's possible to roll out of the way of a cougar strike and run up on the cougar on your own terms, but I haven't had a chance to try that.

Rolling doesn't work. My strategy's pretty much the same as yours; pull out knife, try to hit cougar midlunge, if cougar knocks me down, pray I don't die, immediately guzzle medicine as soon as I stand back up, try again. It worked for me, although I do recommend saving between cougars. Keep at it, the reward for getting level 5 hunter is niiiiice.

Oh, but get off your horse beforehand. Head to the general area where cougars are around, then hop on and search for them on foot. You need the advantage of not having to waste time getting off your horse, and all you're doing is getting your horse in the crossfire.

l337CrappyJack on
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Willeth wrote: »
    What?! Jesus, you have to be quick on your feet for a lot of stuff in this game. I read the post above and nothing like that happened for me. I went to the spot, didn't take too much time, but I wasn't exactly racing there. All I found was a slpash of blood, a femur, and a shoe.

No, you've done the initial part of the quest. It'll keep popping up again as you play som more. Look for the purple circles/question marks to trigger the next section of it, or any other stranger quests. Basically, it'll happen for you too when you reach the final part of it.

Big Classy on
    edited May 2010

So far, my strategy is:

2. Stay on your horse.

Not that I have attempted this challenge at all, but off-hand, I wanted to ask whether you'd tried the bait from the gun vendor to distract the cougars?

SammyF on
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Yeah some stranger missions go "inactive" just means you need to find another purple question mark or highlighted area (your map will generally show you these).

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    That's nice, just got home from work to discover RDR has been delivered. Installing...

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
  • TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010

So far, my strategy is:

2. Stay on your horse.

Not that I have attempted this challenge at all, but off-hand, I wanted to ask whether you'd tried the bait from the gun vendor to distract the cougars?

I ended up going to the area where the boars are and just waited, took forever when I was looking for them, but of course when I was doing the boars I got attacked by like, 6 of them. I just walked around in the area and waited to hear them, then I'd crouch and pull out my knife and slash over and over again.

TehSloth on
    FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
    edited May 2010

You can't complete the mission until you give it to him. Completing the mission goes toward your completion and is a necessary step in unlocking an outfit.
    Interesting.
    So I gave him the money and promptly slit his throat. Another man in the building pointed his gun at me, but I stood still so he backed off. No bounty, no hit to honour, mission complete. Now I'm wondering: will I need Mr. Tollets for anything else? Is there any reason whatsoever to let him live?

Torso Boy on
    edited May 2010

Interesting.
    So I gave him the money and promptly slit his throat. Another man in the building pointed his gun at me, but I stood still so he backed off. No bounty, no hit to honour, mission complete. Now I'm wondering: will I need Mr. Tollets for anything else? Is there any reason whatsoever to let him live?

Nope. :twisted:

l337CrappyJack on
    edited May 2010
    Good answer.

Torso Boy on
  • DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    This game already has one of my favorite moments in a while...

I was playing some multi with some friends in an xboxlive party. We are just messing around.

I come across a bunch of bears. I am new to this game and I am unsure of what I can and can not mount.

"Oh guys! I found bears! Im gunna try and ride one."

Within two seconds the following message appears on our screens: Disrupter was mauled by a bear.

Disrupter on
    616610-1.png
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

Interesting.

Nope. :twisted:

I love how you ask after you've killed him already. That's so Wild West.

Big Classy on
    edited May 2010

You have to do that particular quest three times.

Sheep on
  • WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Big Isy wrote: »

No, you've done the initial part of the quest. It'll keep popping up again as you play som more. Look for the purple circles/question marks to trigger the next section of it, or any other stranger quests. Basically, it'll happen for you too when you reach the final part of it.

Oh, damn. That's a little disappointing. At least I know I've not missed out on much.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
    edited May 2010
    "You know, I dreamt of documenting the last days of the old West. The romance, the honor, the nobility! But it turns out it's just people killing each other."

l337CrappyJack on
  • Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Speaking of asking afterward - The Get the deed from the old man water side quest:
    I bought the deed and gave it to the water searching guy. Then I pulled my double barrel and sawed him in half, ensuring my self a deed, and new place to rest, and some extra $$$. Did I just mess up someful bountiful gains later on?

Capt Howdy on
    Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    TehSloth wrote: »

So far, my strategy is:

2. Stay on your horse.

I ended up going to the area where the boars are and just waited, took forever when I was looking for them, but of course when I was doing the boars I got attacked by like, 6 of them. I just walked around in the area and waited to hear them, then I'd crouch and pull out my knife and slash over and over again.

Ooh, that's a good one. I will also try bait.

Renzo on
  • WishpigWishpig Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    CarbonFire wrote: »
    One thing that has really surprised me so far is how much I still enjoy traveling between locations. Something about actively riding my horse across the beautiful frontier is just endlessly appealing.

Riding around in South Cholla Springs last night I think I stumbled onto a whole army of wolves. I was hunting around for a few wolves to complete one of the Hunter Challenges. Well I got way more than I bargained for, as I spent the next 10 minutes alternating between fighting off the seemingly endless waves of wolf packs (5-6 at a time) and trying to skin them in the very short interval between attacks. When the dust had cleared and I finally scared away the last few attackers, I counted 30 wolf pelts, 30 slabs of wolf meat, and 11 wolf hearts. At least I got around $1000 for my troubles 8-)

Ya I'm thinking this is a bug of some type. Same thing happened to me... but with Cougars so it was 10X worse.

Best (or worst) part is my horse died real quick, so I was trying to steal someone else to get the hell out, but the cougars killed every man, woman, and horse that came anywhere near.

Wishpig on
    WARNING: Picture below may cause spontaneous growth of facial hair and/or body hair.
    622545-8-1261525714230.jpg

Image by Sharpwriter on deviantart.com
    edited May 2010
    Capt Howdy wrote: »
    Speaking of asking afterward - The Get the deed from the old man water side quest:
    I bought the deed and gave it to the water searching guy. Then I pulled my double barrel and sawed him in half, ensuring my self a deed, and new place to rest, and some extra $$$. Did I just mess up someful bountiful gains later on?

Hope not cause that's what I was planning on doing.

Sheep on
  • Clutch414Clutch414 Dodge Swinger.... ...WHENEVER IT FEELS RIGHT!!!Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

So much this. I'm not quite as far into the main missions as you, but I find myself absolutely awestruck when riding the trails. It can be a clear night (my absolute favorite time to ride), overcast and rainy, the middle of a thunderstorm, or a sunny day and I continuously marvel at the feeling of "whoa" that I get from the atmosphere in RDR. Pure distilled awesome. I love riding and enjoying the scenery and the seamless geographical changes so much that I haven't fast traveled once.

Also regarding Flowers for a Lady:
    I know I should have seen that coming, since this is a Rockstar game, but I was seriously D: when he invited me in and she was a corpse.

Clutch414 on
  • SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Oh yeah, I don't use the quick-travel at all. I always ride my horse. It's beautiful and you find cool things to do on the way!

Sarksus on
  • NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    For me, the biggest success of the game isn't the story, or any of the side quests (which are awesome). It's that certain areas of the game look and feel exactly like places I've been before (urls due to size):

Great Plains looks a lot like Madison Valley, and assorted areas of Yellowstone:

http://handigamer.com/madisonvalley.jpg

Two Trees looks a lot like the Gallatin Gateway and other high elevation areas:

http://handigamer.com/gallatin.jpg

And Armadillo looks a lot like Nevada City:

http://handigamer.com/nevadacity.jpg

Eastern Mexico, with the red rock formations looks like a mix of Arizona and Wyoming (unfortunately, no pic uploaded on my PC).

It's just so cool to turn a corner in the game and think "I've fucking been there!" even though the locales are fictional.

Are there geysers or hot springs in the game at all?

Nightslyr on
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I'm using the cougar hunting mission as an excuse to repeatedly commit genocide against boars. I'm just running around killing boars in that area they share, hoping to see a cougar. I've got 20+ boar tusks right now.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Wishpig wrote: »

Ya I'm thinking this is a bug of some type. Same thing happened to me... but with Cougars so it was 10X worse.

Best (or worst) part is my horse died real quick, so I was trying to steal someone else to get the hell out, but the cougars killed every man, woman, and horse that came anywhere near.

Sounds like a horror movie.

"Oh thank god, there's a person with a horse! Oh thank the..."
    *distant RAWR* *maul* "AAAAAAH!"
    "... shit man, now they're just playing with me."

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I got to admit, this game definitely lives up to fullfilling my rampage tendancies better than any GTA ever did. Perhaps it's the fact that every hit looks so brutal, you can see the damage on them. Or how you can cripple someone and watch them try to crawl away. Or maybe even the sight of someone sent flying 15 feet when I headshot their horse while they ride at full speed.

It's fun being an asshole in this game.

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    jefe414 wrote: »
    Wet Bandit wrote: »
    Once you get the Duster outfit there really is absolutely no reason to go back to the default clothes ever again ever

I actually like the default outfit the most right now. The duster outfit seems like it'd be good for being a sheriff and sitting around and whatnot. The default outfit looks like it'd be used by a guy going out and getting shit done.

I fully expect to wear a poncho, though, once I go to Mexico.

Tell me more about this duster outfit...

You get it by having high honor, that's how I unlocked it.

The poncho you get by...
    buying a room in the town where Landon Ricketts lives

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Some masked man keeps Lassoing and Hogtying all the citizens of Armidillo. It's terrible!

And a lot of fun, for some reason.

Kris_xK on
    calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif