Options

[Mass Effect]: 4 months in, feeling old yet?

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The one thing that kind of took me out of the experience in ME was the fact that it felt like every planet was only a toolshed and a few dudes. Otherwise the entire planet was bare. And I couldn't imagine there was much more because I was looking at it and driving around in it. In ME2 this is better since I can't see any of that bare landscape. I'd like them to add location markers for the places you're going to in ME3, though, and since they're doing all that history and stuff on all the planets, I'd also like to maybe see a few more markers showing where the capitol is or other major areas of interest. Give the planets a bit more life.

Yes.

I'd love to spin around a planet in the scanning menu, have points of interest light up with specific information. There's the Sacred Battleground of Shiagur! Joker, zoom in! A concept art shows up and you get more Krogan history.

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    there's a female bathroom on the migrant fleet!

joker, zoom in

further

Nuzak on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    What was really weird was how you'd show up and the planet description would be like "this planet began as an extensive mining colony and now 40 million people live here in multiple cities on multiple continents" and then you'd just start lobbing probes at them and sucking up all their valuable resources before zooming over to the next system. I mean, can you really harvest all the useful minerals on a planet in 5 minutes despite there having been a colony there for 4 decades ostensibly focused on doing just that?

I kept imagining a peaceful city with children playing in the park under the watchful eye of their parents and suddenly KAPOW a probe from the Normandy lands right on them and kills everyone, then magically transmits some iridium up to the cargo hold.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    Ad astraAd astra Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    They could have taken the large worlds and made them less frustrating to navigate, instead they stripped all those out and gave us much smaller spaces. Bioware seems to have trouble identifying what to remove and what to keep, the fact that the worlds were big was not the problem, it was the fact that the terrain was poorly designed and there wasn't enough to do. Instead of completely removing the big open worlds like they did, they need to make them easier to navigate and populate them with more unique features and things to do.

Ad astra on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I always assumed the probes were harvesting very small amounts of resources. Basically, if you lucked out and there were materials left from prior mining efforts (depleted actually means seriously depleted).

It also explains why you have enough space on your ship to hold that much material. And there's a reason you can fight probes onto planets like Earth or Ilium.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Nuzak wrote: »
    there's a female bathroom on the migrant fleet!

joker, zoom in

further

:^:

Orca on
  • Options
    LeinnaLeinna Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Half the populated worlds seem to be populated by Volus, especially the ones with eezo. I just presume that we're nuking volus cities from orbit and extracting the remaining eezo from their lifeless bodies.

Leinna on
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    L|ama wrote: »
    The audiologs in
    The Derelict Reaper

had touches of Cthulu madness, at least I thought.

Yes, the reapers in general are very cthulhu-y.

Space cthulhus are actually more scary then magic cthulhus in my opinion. Something being so far ahead of you technologically in the vastness of space that you can't concieve it is just way more frightening then some elder god from another dimension.

yeah especially since that is completely conceivable given the vastness of space

just another reason why space is fucking terrifying

L|ama on
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    the cthulhuness is kind of limited because the reapers are Milky Way only

or are they?

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    or maybe other galaxies have something even worse

ooweeoooo

L|ama on
  • Options
    mister tuxedomister tuxedo Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

ooweeoooo

"there is always a bigger fish"
    organic spaceships anyone? spacewhales?

mister tuxedo on
    Digital Illusions Creative Entertainment/ PO Box 20068/ 104 60 Stockholm/ Sweden
    Send them a Pair of Running Shoes. Used or Otherwise. Or a letter, but let's not be formulaic. Send them a picture of trainers, too. Or a painting. Or money. Whatever.
  • Options
    edited June 2010

ooweeoooo

"there is always a bigger fish"
    organic spaceships anyone? spacewhales?

I'm telling you, the Leviathan of Dis is a Chekhovs gun, or the crypts of light on Klencory are a Chekovs gun, there's gonna be some sort of crazy Chekovs gun that shows up and explains how to defeat the Reapers, or explains why they do what they do.

Ad astra on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I don't think we actually need an unexpected development to kill the Reapers.

So there's a few thousand of them say? Cereberus found that massive mass accelerator that some species used to kill one. We get an entire galaxy of people motivated to not die building those, and then we blast those fuckers to pieces.

They've lost their major advantage - the ability to one shot galactic communication and travel, so they'd be fucked if we had a shitload of those.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    In an immensely surprising crossover, the Reapers are actually the Boron from the X universe.

L|ama on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    In an immensely surprising crossover, the Reapers are actually the Boron from the X universe.

More like the Kha'ak.

Kha'ak destroyers are fuckin' scary, man.

Orca on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

So there's a few thousand of them say? Cereberus found that massive mass accelerator that some species used to kill one. We get an entire galaxy of people motivated to not die building those, and then we blast those fuckers to pieces.

They've lost their major advantage - the ability to one shot galactic communication and travel, so they'd be fucked if we had a shitload of those.

Uh.... I think you're severely underestimating their numbers, because if the Reapers create a new one of themselves every cycle, and they've been at it for at least thirty-seven million years.... Then there is a shitload of Reapers.

Ad astra on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Orca wrote: »

More like the Kha'ak.

BZZHT
    BZZHT
    BZZHT
    BZZHT OH FUCKOFF ALREADY

the Boron would be funniest

L|ama on
  • Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Orca wrote: »

More like the Kha'ak.

BZZHT
    BZZHT
    BZZHT
    BZZHT OH FUCKOFF ALREADY

the Boron would be funniest

I'm gonna be honest. I started reading your post without looking at the quotes, and I thought I'd stumbled back into the World Cup thread.

Also, I can't bring myself to finish this game anymore. I've beat it twice and I'm at like twelve characters at various points throughout the story that get cast aside as I start anew.

Docshifty on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Question: is it possible to mod Mass Effect 2 so all the enemies regenerate their health and shields like Shepard does i.e. once they're out of fire for a few moments they recover?

Basically, I'd like to give everyone in the game access to the same technology I evidently have.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    DarkCrawlerDarkCrawler Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

A single Reaper destroyed the Citadel Fleet and held it's own Against the entire alliance Fifth Fleet. I mean, even if you combine all the militaries in the Mass Effect universe, you get what - enough to fight fifty Reapers?

I'd imagine the massive mass accelerator was the last shot of a race who was already being wiped out by the Reapers - the sub total of the efforts of an entire species against them. It's described as a weapon of "unimaginable" power anyway, so it's not like starting to churn out some battleships or anything.

DarkCrawler on
  • Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So the Cerberus Daily News Network.

Are it's comments made by Bioware, or actually people commenting? Because it seems way too much produce, even if you had an intern dong it. But it all stays in universe with fitting names/comments etc (literally none I saw from a browse broke from that), the same people keep turning up etc. And it seems to let you comment but I haven't bothered to check if that's real.

Leitner on
  • Options
    NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Question: is it possible to mod Mass Effect 2 so all the enemies regenerate their health and shields like Shepard does i.e. once they're out of fire for a few moments they recover?

Basically, I'd like to give everyone in the game access to the same technology I evidently have.

pretty sure some, if not most enemies already do

vorcha and krogan do

Nuzak on
  • Options
    EtherealEthereal Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Leitner wrote: »
    So the Cerberus Daily News Network.

Are it's comments made by Bioware, or actually people commenting? Because it seems way too much produce, even if you had an intern dong it. But it all stays in universe with fitting names/comments etc (literally none I saw from a browse broke from that), the same people keep turning up etc. And it seems to let you comment but I haven't bothered to check if that's real.

Pretty sure it's not Bioware. It's just people who register and role-play a forum persona.

Ethereal on
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The Mass Effect Codex

is like Chekov's Armory.

edit: what the fuck that's a TVTrope I thought I was being all clever too

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Man, I hope Mass Effect 3 doesn't have a cop-out "Shepard dies/Shepard goes into hibernation/Shepard ascends to a higher plane of existence and may still get up to interesting things" ending.

It's supposed to be a homage to 80's style sci-fi universes, but I hope they borrow from Star Control 2 for the endind and give you "Shepard lives happily ever after with his love interest".

It would just be so refreshing to know that you truly won, at least in his life. Finishing up Star Control 2 and getting to see that not only did you get the girl but you got another awesome as hell alien spaceship was just great.

Come on Bioware: surprise us by being optimistic about the future.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I'd be pretty stunned if Bioware didn't have the "happily ever after" ending as an option. If they're following the original Star Wars trilogy model then ME3 is RoTJ and a happy ending seems pretty likely (at least as one possible option).

Ethereal on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    In Mass Effect 3 the ending will consist of Shepard realizing that the asari consort and Liara are both pregnant with his mind baby. The epilogue is a series of Paragon/Renegade dialog checks to try to get out of paying child support.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    envoy1envoy1 the old continentRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    A lot of games need more Star Control 2 in them. This includes the me universe. Yes, we need the beautiful planets back to drive in (there's one or two in ME1 with constant meteor showers - I sometimes just stare at it, or the one with the blue sun where you pick up the data for Tali: awesome), but please no more alpine driving range tests.

envoy1 on
  • Options
    milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Forget regenerating their shields and health, I'd be happy if enemies other than Krogan could figure out if they rush your squad, there's nothing you can do about it (on Insanity, at least). Every time I get into a firefight, there's usually only one guy who decides to sweep around and flank us; we take him out immediately, then leisurely take out the remaining guys that are popping up and down from behind cover. But whenever there's a Krogan, it's a tooth and nail fight; we're putting ourselves at massive risk because we know he's charging right for us, and he's got a ton of health.

The game should have way more moments like that.

At times, I would be fighting entire groups of guys thinking, "Wow, if these people weren't morons, I'd be toast. All the have to do is pop out from cover and come over here. They'd destroy me."

I did really like Mass Effect 2, though. I loved Mass Effect before that. I think they're fantastic games; I just wish the AI wasn't retarded.

milk ducks on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Well, I mean, there's having good AI and then there's making it impossible for you to win. Yeah, if all your enemies rushed you on Insanity you'd be toast, especially during the early levels when you have very few upgrades.

It's like that in so many games, though. I mean it even extends to the idea of "Why are these troops spread into manageable groups throughout the level? If they all came at me at once I'd be really dead." The way NPCs function has to be balanced since they almost always have greater numbers and more health than the player character on higher difficulties.

Ethereal on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    milk ducks wrote: »
    Forget regenerating their shields and health, I'd be happy if enemies other than Krogan could figure out if they rush your squad, there's nothing you can do about it (on Insanity, at least).

I haven't played on Insanity, but can't Cryo powers, lift/pull/push/singularity, or Concussive Shot stop rushers?

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    milk ducks wrote: »
    Forget regenerating their shields and health, I'd be happy if enemies other than Krogan could figure out if they rush your squad, there's nothing you can do about it (on Insanity, at least).

I haven't played on Insanity, but can't Cryo powers, lift/pull/push/singularity, or Concussive Shot stop rushers?
    they won't work well if the enemies are shielded

and everything on insanity is shielded

Elendil on
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Ugh, no thanks. Let them stay filthy abominations. What possible motive could a reaper have for wanting to spare organic life? It'd be like someone willing to kill humans over smashing mosqitos. Makes no sense.

More like humans not wanting to kill cows. Except they're sapient.

Except that Reapers build their babies out of those cows.

Okay, that metaphore went somewhere unexpected.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    That's a spoiler, machine-man.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I don't know about that rushing me thing. Vanguard Shepard you can do whatever you want and you still get destroyed and thrown out of windows.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2010
    there's just something magical about heavy charging a guy and then making him burst into flame as his broken body lazily flips end-over-end through the air

Rust on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Rust wrote: »
    there's just something magical about heavy charging a guy and then making him burst into flame as his broken body lazily flips end-over-end through the air

I would say it's the ballet of rushing through guys and ending them with the Elbow of Death. And in the end, only you are left standing.

Orca on
  • Options
    DarkCrawlerDarkCrawler Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Man, I hope Mass Effect 3 doesn't have a cop-out "Shepard dies/Shepard goes into hibernation/Shepard ascends to a higher plane of existence and may still get up to interesting things" ending.

It's supposed to be a homage to 80's style sci-fi universes, but I hope they borrow from Star Control 2 for the endind and give you "Shepard lives happily ever after with his love interest".

It would just be so refreshing to know that you truly won, at least in his life. Finishing up Star Control 2 and getting to see that not only did you get the girl but you got another awesome as hell alien spaceship was just great.

Come on Bioware: surprise us by being optimistic about the future.

Happily ever after? Happily ever after for Shepard is murdering evildoers until his fingers can't squeeze the trigger anymore. Remember Tuchanka and the shaman? Guy is basically a Krogan without the scales when it comes to fightin'. Once the Reapers are taken care of, it's time to fuck up some Batarians, and by "some" I mean take down the entire Hegemony and bring democracy to those four-eyed motherfuckers.

My Shepard is only interested in a house with a white picket fence, kids and a dog, if there are some assholes inside it who he needs to kill, the kids are Batarians, and the dog is a FENRIS Mech. Blood Knight to the end.

DarkCrawler on
  • Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Ethereal wrote: »
    Pretty sure it's not Bioware. It's just people who register and role-play a forum persona.

That's delightfully mundane (and vaguely meta).

I look forward to them doing their own role play based around a crack team of turian accounts receivable clerks.

Leitner on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Ethereal wrote: »

That's delightfully mundane (and vaguely meta).

I look forward to them doing their own role play based around a pair of turian store clerks.

Fix'd for simplicity.

Synthesis on