As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Street Fighter: Demon Armageddon, coolest ultra.

• Options
    aBlankaBlank Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    The game has to match on PP.

How can it match on BP? The game doesn't know in advance what character you are going to pick.

psychic computers.

aBlank on
  • Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    TheUnsane1 wrote: »
    Bizazedo wrote: »
    The Sanford vs Inthul match that everyone is loving right now is a perfect example of this in my opinion. The last round where Sanford got perfected should never have happened, but Sanford was not thinking about that round. He was still focused on the last round that he lost, and this allowed Inthul to carry the momentum to a perfect. Do you really think Sanford playing in the correct state of mind would've done a wake up tiger uppercut when Inthul wasn't even close to him after the combo post dizzy? Inthul was in his head and the match was already lost. .
    That's my favorite part of fighting games, honestly, the mental part.

Having close matches with someone and then getting into their head as they panic and they start to get crushed is a fantastic feeling.

When it happens in reverse, to me, I chuckle because it's what it's all about :).
    Skutskut wrote:
    It says same skill but when I get matched up with a guy with 1.8k PP and a 3.4k BP Ryu well...

I want to know how it matches people up, be it by PP or BP.

1.8k isn't really high, but 3.4k BP is okay (even though until you the upper #'s, it really is just "I PLAY A LOT!" as has been said) :(.

Maybe try a lot of endless matches or host endless matches with only room for one to get the confidence level back?

Most times endless rooms make me feel like I am so much worse at the game then I feel in ranked. I rarely if ever win vs the majority of the PA folks and I don't feel like I improve with time in the matches, normally in longer sessions I feel I get progressively worse off because I don't really have a ton of different tricks it's mostly the same few that once found out leave me in a poor spot.

This said what I should be doing in endless is doing things I DON'T DO NORMALLY. However in the heat of battle I default to my comfort zone.

Any tips to get out of that mindset? Maybe treat endless like training mode and write down some things to attempt to land and keep track of when I land them and vs what/how?

In endless treat each matchup as a puzzle and try to indentify patterns the player uses. Sometimes these patterns will stay true across multiple characters, sometimes not, but the more you see the more you should be able to predict. The more matches you play against a single person the more it becomes a mind game and less of a combo excibition. Single matches in ranked are more about who knows the best combo and how to land it.

I assume this is why tournment matches are at least best two out of three, to let the mind games have time to settle in.

chamberlain on
  • Options
    mynameisguidomynameisguido Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Just as an fyi, apparently MadCatz is having a sale on their TE sticks for $99.

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010

link?

edit: well, the gameshark store still has them at 150.00.

double edit: so does Best Buy.

You tease!

chamberlain on
  • Options
    mynameisguidomynameisguido Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

link?

You tease!

Go here, it'll tell ya everything

http://shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=238109&page=2

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TheUnsane1TheUnsane1 PhiladelphiaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010

link?

You tease!
    Via Markman:
    The 20%* OFF Super Street Fighter IV includes the following... CODE = SUPERNCR
    Super stuff.
    The 30%* OFF** product list includes the following... CODE = HELLANCR

Tatsunoko VS. Capcom Arcade FightStick for Wii
    MARVEL VS CAPCOM 2 Arcade FightStick Tournament Edition for Xbox 360
    Street Fighter IV Arcade FightStick Tournament Edition (Round 1) for PlayStation 3 & Xbox 360
    Street Fighter IV "Round 2" Arcade FightStick Tournament Edition for PlayStation 3 & Xbox 360
    Street Fighter IV Arcade FightStick (Standard Edition) for PlayStation 3 & Xbox 360
    Street Fighter IV FightPad (Round 1) for PlayStation 3 & Xbox 360
    Street Fighter IV "Round 2" FightPad for PlayStation 3 & Xbox 360

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Hiryu02 wrote: »
    Taking a break from this until I can find a way to avoid tournament level players. 70 game losing streaks aren't fun, surprisingly enough.

Isn't there an option when you do a custom search in ranked to get players of the "same skill" level? I think you can search for same or higher ranked players that way. Hope that helps.

It's both Ranked and Endless. I went an entire day without winning once because I somehow picked only super high level players.

BlueDestiny on
  • Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    aBlank wrote: »

1.8k isn't really high, but 3.4k BP is okay (even though until you the upper #'s, it really is just "I PLAY A LOT!" as has been said) :(.

Maybe try a lot of endless matches or host endless matches with only room for one to get the confidence level back?

Matchmaking is done completely based on PP. I fought a 5600 BP Ryu with my 400 BP (at the time) Seth, but our PP was within 100 or so points (2200ish?). And fwiw, his Ryu was garbage. I dunno at what point BP actually means something, but it's not in the 5000 range.

(EDIT) also played a high 4K BP Guile who literally only had 3 buttons... throw, 3P, and 3K... all set to turbo.

Yeah, if I had just thought about it, PP is the only way.

Too bad there's an achievement that makes higher skilled players artificially lower theirs, then :(.

As for BP...no idea, I'd say 9k based on how much I lose when I lose, now, but it's still slowly rising.

10k, maybe.

The whole PP / BP thing is dumb, anyways, I wish there was a better method.

Maybe make it voluntary? You pick a skill level?

You'd get good people trolling for easy kills, maybe, but I dunno.

Bizazedo on
    XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    edited May 2010

link?

You tease!

Go here, it'll tell ya everything

http://shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=238109&page=2

Thanks!

I should know this, but is the TE still a square gate?

chamberlain on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Thanks!

Yeah the TE is (thankfully) a square gate.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

Matchmaking is done completely based on PP. I fought a 5600 BP Ryu with my 400 BP (at the time) Seth, but our PP was within 100 or so points (2200ish?). And fwiw, his Ryu was garbage. I dunno at what point BP actually means something, but it's not in the 5000 range.

(EDIT) also played a high 4K BP Guile who literally only had 3 buttons... throw, 3P, and 3K... all set to turbo.

Yeah, if I had just thought about it, PP is the only way.

Too bad there's an achievement that makes higher skilled players artificially lower theirs, then :(.

As for BP...no idea, I'd say 9k based on how much I lose when I lose, now, but it's still slowly rising.

10k, maybe.

The whole PP / BP thing is dumb, anyways, I wish there was a better method.

Maybe make it voluntary? You pick a skill level?

You'd get good people trolling for easy kills, maybe, but I dunno.
    IMO a good system would be basically a personal tier list set up. So basically it keeps track of your matches with each character vs each character and builds your personal tier list based by characters and adds up your match up performance. It could keep Tier lists for all the characters seperate and give you a score for characters and show your top 3, also since the matches are blind anyway why couldn't you pick characters before going into the match and go straight to the ultra selection for ranked?

So given a possible 0-10 vs 34 characters your score would be from 0-340 when you end up matched with the 200 Guile you know that guy's likely pretty damn good.

E: are the codes I posted not the same as the offer linked from srk? if not does the deal include the super te-s?

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Man how does that even work

3p and 3k set to turbo for guile.

What the eff.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Man how does that even work

3p and 3k set to turbo for guile.

What the eff.

I have seen TONS of people using this type of set up in replays.

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Thanks!

Super inexpensive and easy to swap it out, if you prefer octagonal, circular, or triangular.

wonderpug on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    wonderpug wrote: »
    Thanks!

Super inexpensive and easy to swap it out, if you prefer octagonal, circular, or triangular.

Triangular?

chamberlain on
  • Options
    kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I'd go for linear

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    wonderpug wrote: »
    Thanks!

Triangular?

Very handy if you really really like to crouch block and jump straight up and nothing else.

wonderpug on
  • Options
    LibrarianThorneLibrarianThorne Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    ChaosHat wrote: »
    So far my limited poll of 15 people says that mondays and wednesdays are probably the worst, while tuesday is apparently the best day for people to attend. So tuesday is looking like a lock, perhaps 8-9ish right now. Thursday is looking okay, marginally better than monday or wednesday, probably around nineish. We still need more votes, I'm getting votes mostly from people who already attend ranbats, whereas I'm trying to look out for people who are not currently well served by the times, and seeing where would be a good place to get additional players. In short, what I'm trying to say is:

VOTE

Best nights for me are Sat/Sun. I'm busy basically every day of the week with stuff :/

LibrarianThorne on
  • Options
    Hiryu02Hiryu02 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Cody frame traps. What. The. Fuck.

Hiryu02 on
    Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • Options
    GF-BoceifusGF-Boceifus Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Hiryu02 wrote: »
    Cody frame traps. What. The. Fuck.

Gotta love that Cody pressure.

GF-Boceifus on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL / GFWL: Boceifus
  • Options
    projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    As someone who is pretty much only good at TvC, what are some good tips? The only thing I have picked up is that I can not block in the air :)

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    shadydentistshadydentist Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    When it happens in reverse, to me, I chuckle because it's what it's all about :).

The best feeling is getting perfected first round and then grinding out the next two rounds for a win.

shadydentist on
    Steam & GT
    steam_sig.png
    GT: Tanky the Tank
    Black: 1377 6749 7425
  • Options
    TurboGuardTurboGuard Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Snare wrote: »
    I was aware that the Fei was the underdog, what I was wandering, is why there's hate for Sanford, who USED to be the underdog...?

I would have a lot more respect for the man if he and his little following didn't act so...stereotypical.

oh snap I went there

TurboGuard on
  • Options
    inlemurinlemur Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    TurboGuard wrote: »
    Snare wrote: »
    I was aware that the Fei was the underdog, what I was wandering, is why there's hate for Sanford, who USED to be the underdog...?

I would have a lot more respect for the man if he and his little following didn't act so...stereotypical.

oh snap I went there

Did you watch the stream? When Sanford lost, he went to the mic table like everyone does, and said that Inthul played great and beat him and that he was happy for him. When I've seen Valle or Wong lose, they just act like babies. Case in point: when Wong lost the 3s championship on the stream, all he could say when interviewed was that he didn't care about archaic games, Yun was broken, it didn't matter, etc etc.

inlemur on
    XBL - remura
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Also Arturo and his sorry I let everyone down I should have done better. Like he's the most popular player in america right now or something.

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    you guys read way too into things.

aBlank on
  • Options
    StokedUpStokedUp Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

Most times endless rooms make me feel like I am so much worse at the game then I feel in ranked. I rarely if ever win vs the majority of the PA folks and I don't feel like I improve with time in the matches, normally in longer sessions I feel I get progressively worse off because I don't really have a ton of different tricks it's mostly the same few that once found out leave me in a poor spot.

This said what I should be doing in endless is doing things I DON'T DO NORMALLY. However in the heat of battle I default to my comfort zone.

Any tips to get out of that mindset? Maybe treat endless like training mode and write down some things to attempt to land and keep track of when I land them and vs what/how?

Thats a great idea. Seriously. When I started as Dudley all i had was tick throw or try and jump in combo. Now since reading about footsies, wakeup mixups and checking out the dudley forum a little bit at a time I have alot more tools.

Pretty much worked on one combo per set of matches and one mixup and now that theyr ingrained in me i can call upon them more freely when the situation needs it. I just started anti-airing consistently for example.

I dont usually comment on players shortcomings in endless cause im not sure howd theyd react i guess. If they asked me what i thought was the reason they were losing then id tell em for sure.

StokedUp on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Gamertag(SSF4/MW2)StokedAidzzzSC2 ID Stoked.655
    Uploaded SC2 Replays
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    StokedUp wrote: »

Thats a great idea. Seriously. When I started as Dudley all i had was tick throw or try and jump in combo. Now since reading about footsies, wakeup mixups and checking out the dudley forum a little bit at a time I have alot more tools.

Pretty much worked on one combo per set of matches and one mixup and now that theyr ingrained in me i can call upon them more freely when the situation needs it. I just started anti-airing consistently for example.

I dont usually comment on players shortcomings in endless cause im not sure howd theyd react i guess. If they asked me what i thought was the reason they were losing then id tell em for sure.

I encourage players to openly comment on my play good or bad so long as it's not "HAHAHA You SUCK MAN!" and is a constructive comment I would be very interested in the information.

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010

I encourage players to openly comment on my play good or bad so long as it's not "HAHAHA You SUCK MAN!" and is a constructive comment I would be very interested in the information.

I really have to start asking people what i do well and incorrectly. I have this illusion that when i lose its due to dropping combos or jumping too much so im like aright, i got it, keep practicing.

But im missing the whole point of multiple player lobbies who can really see the patterns and mistakes easier then the one whos actually playing and too busy to dwell on that shit. I guess i should go into a lobby with someone, 1v1, fight 10 times. Then watch the replays see what i was doing wrong and what the opponent was doing wrong.

StokedUp on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Uploaded SC2 Replays
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Also for people better at links then I: in general the rule for timing is strict not quick correct? I tend to do my specials in my recovery frames and get nothing.

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    specials or links? Links is mostly learning the timing and plinking for that extra consistency. Doing specials you have to do it right as the hit connects basically. I still fuckup links and special cancels when i stop thinking about it. Ill do a combo so much that i dont even try hard to do them anymore and bam, miss jab,jab, roundhouse, ex-mgb like a million times and lose.

StokedUp on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Uploaded SC2 Replays
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    StokedUp wrote: »

I really have to start asking people what i do well and incorrectly. I have this illusion that when i lose its due to dropping combos or jumping too much so im like aright, i got it, keep practicing.

But im missing the whole point of multiple player lobbies who can really see the patterns and mistakes easier then the one whos actually playing and too busy to dwell on that shit. I guess i should go into a lobby with someone, 1v1, fight 10 times. Then watch the replays see what i was doing wrong and what the opponent was doing wrong.

Asking what you did wrong works as long as you didn't get totally schooled. One of the Dictator players here (I can't remember which one) leveled me. I asked him what he thought, and his answer was that I really didn't do anything. I just took punches.

I laughed. On the outside. :(

chamberlain on
  • Options
    thepassengerthepassenger Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Also for people better at links then I: in general the rule for timing is strict not quick correct? I tend to do my specials in my recovery frames and get nothing.
    Depending on how tight the links are. But you are right, the timing is strict. Canceling normals into specials is usually more about being quick. I have the damnedest time getting standing normals to cancel into QCF/QCB special motions. Frustrating for me when I play Ibuki because I can nail c.LP>s.LP>s.MK but then can't cancel the s.MK into her kicks. It usually ends up coming out late and gets blocked and I get raped. -_-

thepassenger on
    PSN: ohvermie <- ADD ME FOR STREET FIGHTING ACTION!
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Depending on how tight the links are. But you are right, the timing is strict. Canceling normals into specials is usually more about being quick. I have the damnedest time getting standing normals to cancel into QCF/QCB special motions. Frustrating for me when I play Ibuki because I can nail c.LP>s.LP>s.MK but then can't cancel the s.MK into her kicks. It usually ends up coming out late and gets blocked and I get raped. -_-

dunno if it'll help, but try negative edging into it. Just hold MK then release it after doing the motion. This way if you fuck it up, you simply get nothing after and don't eat mash DP or whatever.

My problem with Ibuki doing the same combo is I'll either get a crouching MK when going to D/DB too early, or I'll miss the DB input for a neck breacker and either get nothing or that incredibly worthless dragon punch + P flip move she does.

aBlank on
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    SSF4 Protip: If you've got the space, install it on your harddrive. You'll save an average of 4-6 per game in loading. Now that's savings!

MNC Dover on
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    My issue with that combo is I don't end up standing up.

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    thepassengerthepassenger Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    You can link cr.LP>cr.MK too with Ibuki, but I don't think cr.MK can be canceled.

thepassenger on
    PSN: ohvermie <- ADD ME FOR STREET FIGHTING ACTION!
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    You can link cr.LP>cr.MK too with Ibuki, but I don't think cr.MK can be canceled.

correct. Ibuki has garbage crouching kicks :( Short can't be chained and is only +4 on hit... cr.mk isn't cancelable... RH isn't bad, but you get untechable knockdowns from back kick followup so there's 0 reason to really use it outside of a potential poke.

aBlank on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

correct. Ibuki has garbage crouching kicks :( Short can't be chained and is only +4 on hit... cr.mk isn't cancelable... RH isn't bad, but you get untechable knockdowns from back kick followup so there's 0 reason to really use it outside of a potential poke.

Unless you're me who thinks cr. lp>cr. lp>cr. lp>cr. rh is a totally viable combo for the entire cast.
    So I really need to work on cr. lp>st. mk then?

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010

Unless you're me who thinks cr. lp>cr. lp>cr. lp>cr. rh is a totally viable combo for the entire cast.
    So I really need to work on cr. lp>st. mk then?

I'd work on cr.lp standing lp standing mk XX whatever. Back kicks when you're just starting out, but you'll probably want to do neckbreacker (better damage + untechable knockdown anyway). Reason to start out with back kicks first is in case you drop the combo.

Standing jab -> standing Mk is not only a much more forgiving link (cr jab -> standing MK is a 1 frame link) but it also gives you plenty of time to... well... stand up :P

Something to keep in mind: if you do a deep jump in, you'll want to do 2 crouching jabs, then standing jab standing mk etc. If you only do 1 crouching jab, when you stand up you'll get close standing jab which doesn't have enough frame advantage to combo into mk. On the other hand, you can do 1 cr.jab into jab/strong/fierce target combo... problem there is you'll whiff on crouchers.

Basically, the 2 combo starters I use are:

cr.jab x2 standing jab standing MK XX special

and

cr.jab x2 standing short ~ mk (target combo) XX special

The second is used against the handful of characters that a standing jab will whiff on (IIRC, crouching Blanka, Juri, Chun, basically really tiny characters). Also, you can't "chain" the short kick... it has to be linked or else you won't get a target combo.

aBlank on