As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

#define THREAD_TITLE "PA Programming Thread"

• Options
    StarfuckStarfuck Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2010
    So, IntelliJ is pretty fuckin awesome. Using it for my AS3/Flex stuff and it is so refreshing to work in a non-eclipse variant IDE. These refactor tools are pretty damn sweet. Don't like that long if/else statement, 1-click to turn it into a switch/case, oh yeah. The built-in git tool simply works as intended, beautiful.

Starfuck on
    jackfaces
    "If you're going to play tiddly winks, play it with man hole covers."
    - John McCallum
  • Options
    JHunzJHunz Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Starfuck wrote: »
    So, IntelliJ is pretty fuckin awesome. Using it for my AS3/Flex stuff and it is so refreshing to work in a non-eclipse variant IDE. These refactor tools are pretty damn sweet. Don't like that long if/else statement, 1-click to turn it into a switch/case, oh yeah. The built-in git tool simply works as intended, beautiful.

Agreed, I was using IDEA 7 at my last position and I liked it quite a lot. The refactor tools are nice, middle-clicking to go to a function declaration is awesome, and the Clover plugin we used for code coverage worked great as well.

JHunz on
    bunny.gif Gamertag: JHunz. R.I.P. Mygamercard.net bunny.gif
  • Options
    LoneIgadzraLoneIgadzra Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Starfuck wrote: »

Eclipse makes me want to do real violence sometimes. Using it for Java EE work is horrible (I've had the JSP editor get stuck in some kind of infinite parsing loop and crash just from typing the initial quote to an HTML attribute value). And it's just slow and uses like a gig of RAM, apparently to no effect because did I mention it was slow?

I'm pretty close to switching to netbeans, except I can't seem to stop it from copying libraries into the project directory and the font-rendering on a Mac is eye-gouging horrible.

LoneIgadzra on
  • Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Seol wrote: »
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    ASimPerson wrote: »
    quietjay wrote: »
    Or you could subtract the character '0'. Since the Unicode digits for '0' through '9' are consecutive, '1' - '0' is 1:

int sum = x.charAt(i)-'0'+y.charAt(i)-'0';

Oh I really like that one.

It's nice and all (though not sure I would do it that way in Java) but you do understand why it works, right?
    I would also add that while it's not entirely uncommon and I can't think of a course at uni that didn't have some lab work that didn't rely on a property like this (see also upper and lowercase letters), I find it uncomfortably close to using magic numbers - in this case, it isn't necessarily such a thing because IIRC it's a property of the Unicode standards.

It's also a little hard, or confusing to read (not excessively so). Sure, it's short to type, but you're sacrificing clarity for brevity. It's only a minor thing in a project such as this but it's a good idea to get into a habit of writing clear code, rather than the code that takes the fewest number of keystrokes.
    There's also the issue that it won't complain if you give it non-numeric symbols: it'll just give you a nonsense answer, which could make bugs harder to detect.

Yeah, these things are why I said I probably wouldn't do this way in Java. There are just better, more readable ways to do it.

C, though? I'll subtract ASCII codes until the cows come home.

Oh, and uh, the code as-is only takes a number 0-9. I don't remember if that's what the poster wanted originally.

ASimPerson on
  • Options
    Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    quietjay wrote: »
    Or you could subtract the character '0'. Since the Unicode digits for '0' through '9' are consecutive, '1' - '0' is 1:

int sum = x.charAt(i)-'0'+y.charAt(i)-'0';

Oh I really like that one.

It's nice and all (though not sure I would do it that way in Java) but you do understand why it works, right?
    I would also add that while it's not entirely uncommon and I can't think of a course at uni that didn't have some lab work that didn't rely on a property like this (see also upper and lowercase letters), I find it uncomfortably close to using magic numbers - in this case, it isn't necessarily such a thing because IIRC it's a property of the Unicode standards.

It's also a little hard, or confusing to read (not excessively so). Sure, it's short to type, but you're sacrificing clarity for brevity. It's only a minor thing in a project such as this but it's a good idea to get into a habit of writing clear code, rather than the code that takes the fewest number of keystrokes.

Yeh, I prefaced it with a pretty long comment explaining wtf I was doing.

I swear my code is like, 2/3'rds comments. I'm paranoid my prof is going to think I cut and pasted off the internet, witty/sarcastic comments sort of preclude that.

The method's only called from inside a if (input.matches(ridiculous regex)) so I'm pretty damn sure there's only numbers involved. Even so I should probably mention in the javadoc of the method that it doesn't do any input checks and will silently return gibberish.

These are the sort of things I don't think about because I'm a damn nooblet.

Also, yes, I'm only dealing with 1-9 because it's a method that takes two stings of digit and returns their sum as a string. I had to write it because A) I needed to keep it as a string, and B) They could potentially be ludicrously long, like 50, 100 digits or something.

You know, since I've finished and turn it in, I may as well link the homework itself, so you can mock me for going about it completely the wrong way.

Monkey Ball Warrior on
    "I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
  • Options
    ecco the dolphinecco the dolphin Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Also, yes, I'm only dealing with 1-9 because it's a method that takes two stings of digit and returns their sum as a string. I had to write it because A) I needed to keep it as a string, and B) They could potentially be ludicrously long, like 50, 100 digits or something.

You know, since I've finished and turn it in, I may as well link the homework itself, so you can mock me for going about it completely the wrong way.

Hmmmm.....

I apologise in advance - it appears that I may be the bearer of bad news.

But maybe I'm misunderstanding the homework question. Weren't you meant to store the numbers as binary strings (as opposed to decimals strings)? A doubly linked list, no less (as opposed to a character string).

So I probably would have expected the multiply/add/divide/subtract to only have to deal with 1s and 0s instead of 0-9s...

Edit: Ahh. What you posted was a private utility function, so maybe you implement the add() by calling the toString() to get the decimal representation first?

ecco the dolphin on
    Penny Arcade Developers at PADev.net.
  • Options
    ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Does your teacher use Comic Sans on the off chance that he might blind some of his students?

Impersonator on
  • Options
    jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    It is at the top of the list of recommended fonts for handouts when taking education courses.

I'm not kidding. Non-threatening or something I guess?

jonxp on
    Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Senjutsu wrote: »
    So, do we like python or ruby better?

Personally? Ruby. Python does a few things that irritate the every-living shit out of me.

But it's mostly down to personal taste. They're closely comparable and I wouldn't say one is objectively much better than the other for most tasks.

I would like to know these things.

My python experience greatly outweighs my ruby experience.

Off the top of my head:

- The scoping: used to be beyond retarded. Long since fixed, but I dealt with python extensively when it had the old rules and it left a bad taste in my mouth. I ended up becoming a Perl guy because of its shitty scoping, at the time.

- The underscores errywhere: __foobar__ is ugly as hell and a pain to type.

- The lack of blocks: hurts DSL support hugely, and I'm a huge fan of DSLs. It's also weird about closures, its list comprehensions are fairly limited, and in general its support for functional paradigms is half-assed and bolted on.

- From above: Reasonably hostile to functional programming styles in favor of imperative. More or less a product of the There's Only One Way To Do It philosophy.

- Lack of conditional postfixes. sometimes it's really nice to say "x = 10 if y > 3" rather than spit out a multi-line conditional.

- The lack of proper private, protected, etc visibility declarations. Yeah, you can use two underscores (ugh). Which gives you a shitty exception about the method not existing (double ugh). In 2.6 or 3 you can mark private with annotations, which I also don't like (see next item).

- The @whatever annotations. Too many bad flashbacks to enterprise Java development.

- The whitespace thing. Yeah, any good programmer indents anyway. I still hit way more copy-paste problems than not having to type "end" is worth.

- Regexps aren't a true language construct. I don't like passing a string to re.search as much as /[foo]/ being a first-class language construct.

- Mandatory ()'s errywhere. Hostile to DSLs, but DSLs are a product of a TMTOWTDI philosophy, and I fundamentally don't like the Python community's hostility to TMTOWTDI.

- Explicit self in method defs: A Modula-2-ism that Guido picked up. It should have died with Modula-2. Waste of typing.

- super() is super broken: see here. It's wayyy too easy to end up in a very confusing place trying to use what should be a very simple mechanism.

- single item in a tuple syntax: (1,). Seriously, this is ridiculous and not even "pythonic".

But, again, it's not a bad language and I don't mean to offend its fans. It's just not for me in the way that Ruby is.

I agree with a lot of this.

Especially the ___ and __ notations. What the fuck is up with that?

Apothe0sis on
  • Options
    KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    MKR wrote: »
    Kyanilis wrote: »
    So programming has always been something I'm into. I've taken classes, looked at a lot of stuff on my own, etc. However I still feel like I have like 0 experience under my belt, which is the case. I always quit partway through a project and I want to stop doing that. My language of choice is C#. I'm wondering are there any resources for I guess, intermediate concepts? I know the basics and have worked with other languages, but never really getting past what you'd find in most intro to books. I guess what might be the most useful is maybe a list of ideas that would be a learning exercise for someone who knows the concepts, but just hasn't put it into enough practice.

I'm willing to put in the time to learn new things, that's not the issue, it's just my own ideas tend to either be too easy or too daunting.

C# 3.0 in a Nutshell has been great for me. It's more of a reference than a guide, but it's good about explaining things in clear detail.

You could do like I did. I made a DNS client, then built an HTTP client on top of that, then built a feed reader on top of that.

Looks like C# 4.0 in a Nutshell is out now as well, and has good reviews. I may very well pick it up as it definitely seems like something I'm looking for.

Kyanilis on
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So programming has always been something I'm into. I've taken classes, looked at a lot of stuff on my own, etc. However I still feel like I have like 0 experience under my belt, which is the case. I always quit partway through a project and I want to stop doing that. My language of choice is C#. I'm wondering are there any resources for I guess, intermediate concepts? I know the basics and have worked with other languages, but never really getting past what you'd find in most intro to books. I guess what might be the most useful is maybe a list of ideas that would be a learning exercise for someone who knows the concepts, but just hasn't put it into enough practice.

I'm willing to put in the time to learn new things, that's not the issue, it's just my own ideas tend to either be too easy or too daunting.

C# 3.0 in a Nutshell has been great for me. It's more of a reference than a guide, but it's good about explaining things in clear detail.

You could do like I did. I made a DNS client, then built an HTTP client on top of that, then built a feed reader on top of that.

Looks like C# 4.0 in a Nutshell is out now as well, and has good reviews. I may very well pick it up as it definitely seems like something I'm looking for.

A good example of why it's a good book is the threading section. It starts out by telling you how to do threading safely, rather than toss it out there and hope you read a page of warnings at the end.

And I don't know if it's .NET or the book, but everything is so clear. I've never had to little trouble understanding a programming book. It's actually enjoyable to read.

MKR on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

A good example of why it's a good book is the threading section. It starts out by telling you how to do threading safely, rather than toss it out there and hope you read a page of warnings at the end.

And I don't know if it's .NET or the book, but everything is so clear. I've never had to little trouble understanding a programming book. It's actually enjoyable to read.

I'm sold, definitely seems like it is worth it to pick up.

Kyanilis on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    jonxp wrote: »
    It is at the top of the list of recommended fonts for handouts when taking education courses.

Is there even an organization that regulates this?

Impersonator on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

Is there even an organization that regulates this?

If there was they are doing a terrible job.

Kyanilis on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    It's something like that. We had a guy type up documentation in all comic sans. He was extremely pissed that we changed it.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    You should've killed him. The world doesn't need Comic Sans lovers.

Impersonator on
  • Options
    Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Okay so this is the only place I used that stringAdd method. As you can see this only comes up when I'm converting Binary back to Decimal:
    @Override
    	public String toString(){
    		String answer = "0";
    		if (this.head.isOne){
    			BigInt copy = new BigInt(this);
    			copy.invert();
    			return "-" + copy.toString();
    		} else {
    			Digit here = this.head;
    			while (here != null){
    				//multiply answer by 2
    				answer = stringAdd(answer, answer);
    				//Add 1 if here is 1
    				if (here.isOne){answer = stringAdd(answer, "1");}
    				//next bit
    				here = here.next;
    			}
    		}
    		return answer;
    	}

Concerning fonts, I'm quite partial to Calibri, the font MS introduced for the UI in Vista and one of those Offices they make that I don't use.

Monkey Ball Warrior on
    "I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Okay, so, good spellchecking libraries are hard to find, and the dictionaries to go with them are even harder. I really don't want to have to do my own, does anyone have any good recommendations besides Aspell (urgh). A good plus is one that can take in MS Word dictionaries.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    bowen wrote: »
    Okay, so, good spellchecking libraries are hard to find, and the dictionaries to go with them are even harder. I really don't want to have to do my own, does anyone have any good recommendations besides Aspell (urgh). A good plus is one that can take in MS Word dictionaries.

Wouldn't OO.o's be free to use?

MKR on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

Wouldn't OO.o's be free to use?

Something portable that doesn't require anything to be installed like MS Office, OO.o, etc. I need to be able to load .dic files from office (+ a few other medical oriented ones), but I don't want to install software to do it, which is why I was looking for a good spellcheck library. Aspell is the next best one I've found, but like any good open-source system it's documentation is like trying to swordfight with a starfish.

bowen on
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    IntelliJ is great.

It would be the king if it, and the associated website, didn't look like some leftover vomit from the late 90's.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Jasconius wrote: »
    IntelliJ is great.

It would be the king if it, and the associated website, didn't look like some leftover vomit from the late 90's.

And eat RAM like a fat girl at all you can eat icecream day

Still beats the hell out of Eclipse, though

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    IntelliJ is great.

Why would a fat girl be eating RAM when there's a lot of ice cream around? Or are you saying it doesn't use much RAM for that reason?

jonxp on
    Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    There's no ice cream around because he's eating it.

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Go to jail, go directly to jail.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Is eclipse bad? It's honestly all I know except visual studio, which I haven't used in many years. and I was doing it in vb.net, so. That in and of itself was painful.

There's a lot of really nice things in eclipse (autocomplete, little bubbles with the documentation of all the methods and stuff in the library), but I have no idea how prevalent that sort of thing is in other IDEs.

Monkey Ball Warrior on
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    IntelliJ is great.

Why would a fat girl be eating RAM when there's a lot of ice cream around? Or are you saying it doesn't use much RAM for that reason?

DDR3 tastes like Neapolitan

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    His CorkinessHis Corkiness Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Just store the entire dictionary as a space-delimited string, then use a regexp.

(This is a joke answer)

His Corkiness on
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    *headdesk*

Ok, so I'm apparently going back to school to be a Computer Engineer. It's the closest thing to a Software Engineer type degree that they have at the local community college, and since it's free (the one good thing that came from the Dell fiasco), well, can't complain. From the little I know about Engineering, Computer Engineers are Software Engineers with a bit of extra focus on embedded systems, but I'm sure Intro to Engineering in the fall will fix me of that delusion.

The 2 languages they teach are C++ and Turbo Pascal. I've taken both before, 8 years ago, and don't remember a damned word.

The Turbo Pascal book is the exact same one that I used 9 years ago when I had the class at a different community college.

I'm so screwed.

Thank god it's just for 2 years, and then I'm going to look into transferring to a 4 year.

Ranting aside -- I'm trying to force myself to learn Objective C and it's just not clicking -- is it just me or do they use really odd terms for OOP stuff?

KiTA on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Turbo Pascal....

Anyway, computer engineering is a lot of different things to a lot of different folks. At my alma mater it is a cross between CS and EE, basically.

Then about 2.5 years in all the CompE's realize no one agrees on what the hell "computer engineering" is and then switch to either EE or CS.

Anyway, realize it's not about the languages, it's about the concepts, knuckle down, study hard, and get out of there with a kick-ass GPA so you can transfer somewhere nice and with your credits intact.

ASimPerson on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    On a slightly different note, regular old Pascal was the first language I ever learned in school, back in 9th grade. Ah, the good ole days.

Maybe I can make the next one of these threads?
    writeln('Programming thread');

ASimPerson on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Then about 2.5 years in all the CompE's realize no one agrees on what the hell "computer engineering" is and then switch to either EE or CS.

That's definitely the impression I'm getting. I was worried I was just being ignorant.

Back the first time around, in 2001, when I was doing the community college thing in Yakima, 95% of the CS majors jumped ship to EE after some new professor took over CS and turned it into "IT" -- aka, "MOUS Certification".

In hindsight, this was a "warning sign". ;)

KiTA on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Is eclipse bad? It's honestly all I know except visual studio, which I haven't used in many years. and I was doing it in vb.net, so. That in and of itself was painful.

There's a lot of really nice things in eclipse (autocomplete, little bubbles with the documentation of all the methods and stuff in the library), but I have no idea how prevalent that sort of thing is in other IDEs.

Visual Studio has had those for as long as I can remember.

MKR on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Just store the entire dictionary as a space-delimited string, then use a regexp.

(This is a joke answer)

You'd think it'd be, but that was one of the solutions, or very similar to it.

bowen on
  • Options
    HalibutHalibut Passion Fish Swimming in obscurity.Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    KiTA wrote: »

That's definitely the impression I'm getting. I was worried I was just being ignorant.

Back the first time around, in 2001, when I was doing the community college thing in Yakima, 95% of the CS majors jumped ship to EE after some new professor took over CS and turned it into "IT" -- aka, "MOUS Certification".

In hindsight, this was a "warning sign". ;)

I graduated from Texas A&M with a degree in Computer Engineering. They actually have 2 different degrees (tracks), one for CS and one for EE. Both tracks focus on hardware and software, but there are a few more courses dedicated to the track you choose.

I really liked the courses I took. You'll learn a lot about EE as it relates to computer components as well as how to make the hardware talk to a computer through software.

Halibut on
  • Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

This is one of the things that makes me go o_O

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    mastmanmastman Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I love eclipse, but I use it for Java not any of the C derivatives

mastman on
    ByalIX8.png
    B.net: Kusanku
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    End wrote: »

This is one of the things that makes me go o_O

Basically YVCC had a Comp Sci department. It was ran by a member of the old guard -- the degree still had COBOL and FORTRAN in it, for example. A hotshot new woman showed up, heard his frequent jokes about retiring, basically said "what? Great, see you later", took over with some help of the dean, and ran the department into the ground so hard and fast that she had to flee the country afterwards. It was glorious. At least, it would have been, if I had been smart enough to move on.

But this is the programming thread, and not the "KiTA bitches about school" thread, so... Yeah. Going to try and force myself to learn some Objective C today, even though apparently going through the iApp store is a bad idea now.

KiTA on
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Does anyone know exactly what the "DX11 on 9" HAL layer supports? I know you can't do tessellation shaders, but what else is missing? I was almost positive everything but hull/domain shaders was supported, but for the life of me, I can't find anything on it.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    So. I met a very boisterous ruby programmer today.

Jasconius on
This discussion has been closed.