As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

#define THREAD_TITLE "PA Programming Thread"

• Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Jasconius wrote: »
    So. I met a very boisterous ruby programmer today.

You repeat yourself.

MKR on
  • Options
    jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

What a lie, you didn't meet me today.

jonxp on
    Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    jonxp wrote: »

There can be only one!

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Infidel wrote: »
    jonxp wrote: »

There can be only one!
    assert self.immortal
    assert self.contents.include? :blood_of_kings

assert !rival.exists?

def ==(man)
      false
    end

self.take_to_future_of! :you_all

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    P.S. We're looking for a Obj-C programmers by the bushel right now. Ruby is a huge plus though. Contract to hire. You know what to do.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Florida, though, right?

Plus I just took a job in Portland

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    It's in Florida but we just had a talk today and I think we're about to declare that there is nobody left in the entire city that can fit the bill. So telecommute is a possibility. Not sure if they are still going to want full time or not. The last listing I saw was still saying full time contract.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I am happy with my new position, but it is good to know that there are a lot of opportunities with these techs

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    yeah. I think we're budgeted for at least two more this year full time, and there's another company I know that needs at least one.

Everyone in Tampa is .NET, thanks to the huge Microsoft local office. There's also an Adobe office here. So it's the anti-Apple town or something.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    bowen wrote: »
    Okay, so, good spellchecking libraries are hard to find, and the dictionaries to go with them are even harder. I really don't want to have to do my own, does anyone have any good recommendations besides Aspell (urgh). A good plus is one that can take in MS Word dictionaries.
    Just store the entire dictionary as a space-delimited string, then use a regexp.

(This is a joke answer)

You'd think it'd be, but that was one of the solutions, or very similar to it.

Isn't that basically what the unix spellchecker is?

Phyphor on
  • Options
    Smug DucklingSmug Duckling Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    KiTA wrote: »
    End wrote: »
    Back the first time around, in 2001, when I was doing the community college thing in Yakima, 95% of the CS majors jumped ship to EE after some new professor took over CS and turned it into "IT" -- aka, "MOUS Certification".

This is one of the things that makes me go o_O

Basically YVCC had a Comp Sci department. It was ran by a member of the old guard -- the degree still had COBOL and FORTRAN in it, for example. A hotshot new woman showed up, heard his frequent jokes about retiring, basically said "what? Great, see you later", took over with some help of the dean, and ran the department into the ground so hard and fast that she had to flee the country afterwards. It was glorious. At least, it would have been, if I had been smart enough to move on.

But this is the programming thread, and not the "KiTA bitches about school" thread, so... Yeah. Going to try and force myself to learn some Objective C today, even though apparently going through the iApp store is a bad idea now.

imo, learn Java and develop Android applications instead. There are more devices out there, much less competition in the app space (so far), and Google is much friendlier than Apple to developers.

Smug Duckling on
    smugduckling,pc,days.png
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Back the first time around, in 2001, when I was doing the community college thing in Yakima, 95% of the CS majors jumped ship to EE after some new professor took over CS and turned it into "IT" -- aka, "MOUS Certification".

Basically YVCC had a Comp Sci department. It was ran by a member of the old guard -- the degree still had COBOL and FORTRAN in it, for example. A hotshot new woman showed up, heard his frequent jokes about retiring, basically said "what? Great, see you later", took over with some help of the dean, and ran the department into the ground so hard and fast that she had to flee the country afterwards. It was glorious. At least, it would have been, if I had been smart enough to move on.

But this is the programming thread, and not the "KiTA bitches about school" thread, so... Yeah. Going to try and force myself to learn some Objective C today, even though apparently going through the iApp store is a bad idea now.

imo, learn Java and develop Android applications instead. There are more devices out there, much less competition in the app space (so far), and Google is much friendlier than Apple to developers.

Yeah, I might grab the Droid SDK. I just wish there was a cheapo little ipod touch sized Droid device for fiddling around with.

KiTA on
  • Options
    jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

Yeah, I might grab the Droid SDK. I just wish there was a cheapo little ipod touch sized Droid device for fiddling around with.

Droid is a brand of Android phone. You would be downloading the Android SDK. Just a little pet peeve of mine (I have the same problem with people who call the iPod Touch an 'iTouch').

The SDK is actually pretty great, and you can fiddle around with that to a great extent.

jonxp on
    Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Ah, I stand corrected. It doesn't help that they use the term Droid to talk about the Google App Store, or whatever it is.

My question remains though -- is there a little MP3/PDA type thing that runs Android?

Edit: Dell is apparently Making one?

KiTA on
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The SDK comes with an emulated device for you to play with. :)

MKR on
  • Options
    pheknophekno Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    This is only slightly related to the above posts.

So, I learned me some C# and from what Java code I've read, it's seems very similar, syntactically (did I do that right). I'd basically like to learn some more Java specifically to learn some Android development, but I'm not exactly sure where to start. I learned C# by reading "Head First C#", which I enjoyed a lot (I'm an EE so OO programming wasn't really my thing beforehand). I have access to "Head First Java", but I kinda feel like it's covering a lot of the exact same stuff that the C# book covered. Also, seeing as how I want to learn Android development better, I feel like I would be better served focusing on that, but the Google documentation seems a little over my head and I think I need a better foundation in Java. So, do I work through "Head First Java" to get a better Java foundation, or look for a better book that covers both topics?

phekno on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    phekno wrote: »
    This is only slightly related to the above posts.

So, I learned me some C# and from what Java code I've read, it's seems very similar, syntactically (did I do that right). I'd basically like to learn some more Java specifically to learn some Android development, but I'm not exactly sure where to start. I learned C# by reading "Head First C#", which I enjoyed a lot (I'm an EE so OO programming wasn't really my thing beforehand). I have access to "Head First Java", but I kinda feel like it's covering a lot of the exact same stuff that the C# book covered. Also, seeing as how I want to learn Android development better, I feel like I would be better served focusing on that, but the Google documentation seems a little over my head and I think I need a better foundation in Java. So, do I work through "Head First Java" to get a better Java foundation, or look for a better book that covers both topics?

Take this with a grain of salt, as I actually write code for a living (C#, but I used to do Java), but:

When I started Android development, I just installed the SDK, looked at some basic samples, and went for it. Eclipse is pretty good about exposing the Android API documentation inline, so you can just start poking around the various classes and methods.

If you have a decent understanding of C#, you're 90% of the way to understanding the Java language. You're biggest learning hurdle is going to be the Java library (the equivalent of the .NET framework). If you want a book for that, you're better off getting some kind of pocket reference. Any Java book is going to cover some sub-set of it, but not all of it.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    My original plan was to work on classical style games -- think Gameboy Color, NES, etc -- for the iApp store, since while you can get as many freaking Tower Defense and Farmville clones as you want, a simple RPG is apparently too much for the thing. And the ones I have seen -- FF/FF2 I'm looking right at you -- have user interfaces that are probably what I'm going to end up being forced to use for all eternity while burning alive in Gamer Hell.

To that end -- making retro games, not burning in Gamer Hell -- I picked up a Mac Mini as a birthday gift to myself and a refurb iPod Touch 8GB when they were on Woot recently. Just a fun summer project, really, but getting back into the swing of things in regards to programming is never a bad thing.

Objective C is pretty easy so far. Some of the syntax just throws my head into a blender, however -- since when did class.method become Object Message? Or whatnot, still getting that far. Have discovered a decided lack of study skills, unfortunately.

One of the books I thumbed through suggested coding in pure C, which would be easily portable between iApp SDK, AndroidApp SDK, XNA, etc, since pure C is natively readable by a ton of things.

KiTA on
  • Options
    LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Heh, a good thread title.

I saw some C code on the internets once, guy said this had to be at the very top of the first compilation unit or else:
    // DO NOT remove!! crashes gcc
    #define HERE_BE_DRAGONS

The dude who posted this swears up and down that the comment is absolutely true, that without that define gcc will crash horribly trying to compile that project. He also swears that it doesn't matter what the define is called, even, there just has to be one there for gcc to not segfault.

I just can't think of why

Ledneh on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Phyphor wrote: »
    Okay, so, good spellchecking libraries are hard to find, and the dictionaries to go with them are even harder. I really don't want to have to do my own, does anyone have any good recommendations besides Aspell (urgh). A good plus is one that can take in MS Word dictionaries.
    Just store the entire dictionary as a space-delimited string, then use a regexp.

(This is a joke answer)

You'd think it'd be, but that was one of the solutions, or very similar to it.

Isn't that basically what the unix spellchecker is?

It use a phonetic-esque tree-ish search last I knew.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Ledneh wrote: »
    Heh, a good thread title.

I saw some C code on the internets once, guy said this had to be at the very top of the first compilation unit or else:
    // DO NOT remove!! crashes gcc
    #define HERE_BE_DRAGONS

The dude who posted this swears up and down that the comment is absolutely true, that without that define gcc will crash horribly trying to compile that project. He also swears that it doesn't matter what the define is called, even, there just has to be one there for gcc to not segfault.

I just can't think of why

/boggle

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    My original plan was to work on classical style games -- think Gameboy Color, NES, etc -- for the iApp store, since while you can get as many freaking Tower Defense and Farmville clones as you want, a simple RPG is apparently too much for the thing. And the ones I have seen -- FF/FF2 I'm looking right at you -- have user interfaces that are probably what I'm going to end up being forced to use for all eternity while burning alive in Gamer Hell.

To that end -- making retro games, not burning in Gamer Hell -- I picked up a Mac Mini as a birthday gift to myself and a refurb iPod Touch 8GB when they were on Woot recently. Just a fun summer project, really, but getting back into the swing of things in regards to programming is never a bad thing.

Objective C is pretty easy so far. Some of the syntax just throws my head into a blender, however -- since when did class.method become Object Message? Or whatnot, still getting that far. Have discovered a decided lack of study skills, unfortunately.

One of the books I thumbed through suggested coding in pure C, which would be easily portable between iApp SDK, AndroidApp SDK, XNA, etc, since pure C is natively readable by a ton of things.

Pure C is a no-go for XNA, and the Android NDK is specifically for creating small modules of compiled code that are run as part of a larger Java project. I can't comment on the iApp SDK.

That said, Objective-C is a horrible language, syntax wise, and any allusions you have to the contrary are you deluding yourself. It makes the syntax of C++ look like it was designed by Turing himself. There is a reason Apple is the only company in the world that actually tries to sell Objective-C as a good thing.

The fact that you can't write iApps in C++ (that I am aware of) is the primary reason I will likely never developer for that platform, despite having an iPod Touch as a test device and an iMac to do the development on. Hell, any language other than Objective-C would rock.

GnomeTank on
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    GnomeTank wrote: »

Pure C is a no-go for XNA, and the Android NDK is specifically for creating small modules of compiled code that are run as part of a larger Java project. I can't comment on the iApp SDK.

That said, Objective-C is a horrible language, syntax wise, and any allusions you have to the contrary are you deluding yourself. It makes the syntax of C++ look like it was designed by Turing himself. There is a reason Apple is the only company in the world that actually tries to sell Objective-C as a good thing.

The fact that you can't write iApps in C++ (that I am aware of) is the primary reason I will likely never developer for that platform, despite having an iPod Touch as a test device and an iMac to do the development on. Hell, any language other than Objective-C would rock.

I'm glad I haven't had to mess with Objective-C, although many people bug me to make some Apps and it's tempting.

Not having an iPhone or anything myself, I don't really have the ability to develop much right now.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Like I said, I have the test device in my second generation iPod Touch, and I have the Mac to develop on...but I won't touch Objective-C with a ten foot pole. I'll stick to Java and just develop for my Android, which I use more than my Touch anyway.

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    My phone is not smart. :<

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010

Thank fucking god. I thought I was just being dense due to not having touched code in 8 years or something.

Oh well, in for a penny.

KiTA on
  • Options
    Dead ComputerDead Computer __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2010
    P.S. We're looking for a Obj-C programmers by the bushel right now. Ruby is a huge plus though. Contract to hire. You know what to do.

Who are you and where are you within Florida

Dead Computer on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

Thank fucking god. I thought I was just being dense due to not having touched code in 8 years or something.

Oh well, in for a penny.

You both are fucking nuts

If you are professional programmers, you need to brush up on your skills if objective-C scares you.

Dead Computer on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

I don't know why you feel that way. The syntax took me maybe 2 days to figure out and now it is second nature, and Xcode, these days, pretty much does the work for you.

You can use C++ libs in an iPod app, you just can't access the Apple frameworks with it.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

If you are professional programmers, you need to brush up on your skills if objective-C scares you.

I'm not. I'd like to be, but Tech Support jobs derailed that almost a decade ago, and I'm forcing myself back into it now that I finally no longer have a shitty tech support job to distract me.

KiTA on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

Oh well, in for a penny.

Not everyone here is professional, it's open to all here!

If we didn't have the newbies with questions then we'd just be posting gruff opinions as truth and measuring our beards.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Infidel wrote: »

Oh well, in for a penny.

Not everyone here is professional, it's open to all here!

If we didn't have the newbies with questions then we'd just be posting gruff opinions as truth and measuring our beards.

The syntax in Objective C is actually some of the best syntax I've ever seen in a programming language.

If you do it right, your code can sometimes read like a book

For instance:

-(void)blowUpWorldAtX:(float)x Y:(float)y Z:(float)z leaveNoSurvivors:(BOOL)killSurvivors;

[bomb blowUpWorldAtX:2321 Y:3023 Z:2 leaveNoSurvivors:TRUE];

And actually that's pretty much the only weird thing about objective C, everything else is pretty much exactly like C and C++.

So basically, if you don't know Objective C, it's probably because you don't know C or C++ either.

Dead Computer on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    you didn't even do it right, Dead Computer, but ok

Jasconius on
  • Options
    DVGDVG No. 1 Honor Student Nether Institute, Evil AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So, NSPredicates on iPhone.

I've got a CoreData application, with a pretty simple object graph.
    2 Entities
    Game
      Attributes
        name
      Relationship
        platform (to-one)

Platform
      Attributes
        name
      Relationship
        games (to-many)

My apps current flow is 3 View Controllers
    Platforms View Controller -> Games View Controller -> Game Detail Controller

I've got a Fetched Results Controller in Games View Controller and I'm attempting to set the predicate so that only games on the previously selected platform show.

I have this:
    	NSPredicate *predicate = [NSPredicate predicateWithFormat:@"platform = &#37;@", selectedPlatform];
    	[request setPredicate:predicate];

Which, oddly enough, works. But if I press the add button on the Games List View Controller, it bombs. The console shows an error bitching about Core Data, and if I comment out the predicate it doesn't crash.

So, what's the proper way to reference a related Core Data entity in an NSPredicate?

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • Options
    LoneIgadzraLoneIgadzra Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

Oh well, in for a penny.

Gah, what?

C++ is a fucking nightmare, as spending ten minutes with the FAQ will make abundantly clear. I've written loads and loads of code in it, so I'm not just saying that.

Objective-C is just C with a very simple OO syntax and runtime on top of it. Working with brackets is kind of a pain, but I'll take named method parameters over unnamed any day, and the message sending concept just makes sense. It certainly has its weak points as a language, but it also has some very strong points (and, as with any language, it's best to play to its strengths when using it), and Cocoa has many extremely powerful features.

And what was that BS about not being able to use C++ on an iPhone someone mentioned? iPhone apps are built by gcc. Sure you need to use Objective-C to call Cocoa Touch functionality, but there's nothing stopping you from writing C or C++ source and using it in the project.

LoneIgadzra on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Well, it's been a while since I touched C. :) It's all coming back, though -- I never did care for OOP, but I'm starting to see how it could be useful for what I'm trying to do.

At this pace I should finish "Learn Objective-C on the Mac" by the end of the weekend / early next week, and then start trying to tackle Cocos-2d's tutorials.

KiTA on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    It's not like the concepts are really that different from C++ to Obj-C, just the syntax.

That said, I'd rather stick with C++ because it's the syntax most programming languages have glued themselves too, and Obj-C seems like that weird kid on the playground with the safety glasses and the dried snot on his nose and face. I'm sure he's an interesting fellow, but I'll let his mom and family deal with him.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    DVGDVG No. 1 Honor Student Nether Institute, Evil AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So if anyone is interested, I think I figured out what's wrong with my Predicate thing a few posts ago.

I've got a single managed object context I've been passing down the line as per Apple's recommendation, however the reason it's bombing is because when I click add in the drilled down level with the predicate applied, the fetched results controller is trying to refresh the table view for a brand new object with null properties. When I take out the predicate, while the modal view controller is popping I can see the empty row show up on the table view.

So today I'm going to try adding a second Managed Object Context for the add view, in hopes of isolating the changes so that the table view Fetched Results Controller doesn't freak out.

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I wouldn't recommend hooking up UITableViews right into core data stuff anyway. That is frumpy.

Just have a NSArray somewhere that you re-populate with arrayWithArray when appropriate.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    you didn't even do it right, Dead Computer, but ok

Of course I did it right. check your six

Dead Computer on
This discussion has been closed.