As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MMA 8: UFC 116: The Fourth of July Comes Early!

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Peter Ebel wrote: »
    And Russo continues with BRUTAL hammer fists!

Finally, the spirit of Fedor has found a new vessel.

My friends and I were all laughing about that, but we figured that he knew that Duffee was out, and didn't want to hurt the guy even more...

Inquisitor77 on
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I can't believe that they're pushing 115 out in two weeks as a PPV. There are literally no fights on that card that I would pay money to see. None.

Peen on
  • Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I can't believe that they're pushing 115 out in two weeks as a PPV. There are literally no fights on that card that I would pay money to see. None.
    Thiago vs Kampmann will be good, maybe Rothwell vs Yvel if either of them had managed to do anything in their last fights. Plus I'm looking forward to Condit and MacDonald.

The card really needs two more fights that are worth caring about, the outcome of the other two has no real meaning in either division. :(

815165 on
  • Options
    doug_grammardoug_grammar Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Going by indication of how other cards went, not wanting to see any of the fights is a good sign because the ones we do want to see turn out bad.

I'm interested in this card. All these guys have something they need to prove otherwise they're screwed, especially Cro Cop and Liddell.

doug_grammar on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Man how many cool events were there yesterday? Only just got round to watching the Badr Hari fight.

Annoying commentary incoming!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oa0ccUSsNo&feature=player_embedded#
    Badr is such an asshole, I love him.

815165 on
  • Options
    Wet BanditWet Bandit Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

115 is just not a card that should be on PPV. That should be on ABC or some other network TV.

Wet Bandit on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Wet Bandit wrote: »

115 is just not a card that should be on PPV. That should be on ABC or some other network TV.
    Or the History channel.

815165 on
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Yeah, it's become clear that the UFC is putting on too many events. They should consolidate their lighter weight classes from the WEC and keep that organization as a proving ground for up-and-coming fighters. Otherwise they just don't have the fighter population to sustain the number of PVPs they're throwing out each year. This is doubly true considering they seem bent on following a short-term sport model, hyping things like undefeated records and championship belts over increasing education of the sport and developing good fighters (even if, god forbid, they have a few losses on record). I hate to say it, but the UFC is towing dangerously close to the failing boxing model, particularly since they have to piggyback on so many of that sports aspects (state athletic commissions, vague judging/scoring, inconsistent weight classes, etc.).

Also, I demand a GIF with a better angle!!111oneone If anything, it clearly shows that Dean is behind Rampage when Rashad falls to the ground, and therefore can't see anything that is going on. Eh, whatever, I stopped caring. The whole card was super-lame. I feel bad for anyone who paid to attend it live. Hell, I feel bad for myself for watching it on TV...

Inquisitor77 on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    This is doubly true considering they seem bent on following a short-term sport model, hyping things like undefeated records and championship belts over increasing education of the sport and developing good fighters (even if, god forbid, they have a few losses on record). I hate to say it, but the UFC is towing dangerously close to the failing boxing model, particularly since they have to piggyback on so many of that sports aspects (state athletic commissions, vague judging/scoring, inconsistent weight classes, etc.).
    I think they're still managing to avoid the bits of boxing I hate the most, people avoiding each other and the meaningless weight classes.

The UFC weight classes are pretty clear:

Lightweight
    Welterweight
    Middleweight
    Franklinweight
    Light Heavyweight
    Heavyweight

815165 on
  • Options
    Wet BanditWet Bandit Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I don't think the UFC is putting on too many events. I think they're putting on too many PPVs. All of these 'lackluster' PPVs have great fighters and exciting fights, they're just not worth $55. It'd be nice to see those events, like 114 and 115, find a home on network TV.

Wet Bandit on
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Alright Kid.

You eat those cans. You get big and healthy again.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Dudes... worried about Rashad vs. Shogun? Really?

Shogun swept Machida, both times Machida got him down.

And we're concerned that Rashad will get a Lay'n'Pray decision over him?

MayGodHaveMercy on
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I don't think the UFC is putting on too many events. I think they're putting on too many PPVs. All of these 'lackluster' PPVs have great fighters and exciting fights, they're just not worth $55. It'd be nice to see those events, like 114 and 115, find a home on network TV.

Limed for the ultratruth. I don't think it's sustainable long term to have 1 PPV a month; there's no way they're going to have enough good fights in each to justify the cost, $50 is a lot of money. They need to put some of these cards on Spike, if nothing else, like they have a few times before. I want to see these fights for sure but I'm not spending that much on them, I'm sorry.

Peen on
  • Options
    fmz65fmz65 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Two things:

1) That video in the OP is awesome. My only complaint is too many clips of Rampage losing :P

2) Even though there are probably 4 or 5 UFC events a month, still none of them are being hosted in Texas... COME ON!

fmz65 on
    daleyk.png
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2010
    What a shitty fucking main event. Jackson didn't even want to be there. I think he's realized there's more money in movies than in fighting. It was almost like when he got the advantage he said to himself "Fuck, if I win this I'll have to fight again." He backed off after that when he could have won the fight.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Once again I made money out of betting on MMA :o

This is really freaking me out as I usually don't make any money betting on MMA, but that fat bastard Russow put Duffee to sleep and made me some good monies :lol:

Also, Stun Gun beat Sadollah just like most of us thought despite being a decent underdog (betting wise) so I earned another few there

Honestly I don't know why these guys with like 6 fights come into it with such skewed odds against opponents with far more fights and experience, but I thank the oddsmakers a lot for it

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    What the hell is going on with MMAPlayground?

"Back in ~5 Minutes" for over 10 hours now.

MayGodHaveMercy on
  • Options
    Metal JaredMetal Jared Mulligan Wizard Rhode IslandRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    What a shitty fucking main event. Jackson didn't even want to be there. I think he's realized there's more money in movies than in fighting. It was almost like when he got the advantage he said to himself "Fuck, if I win this I'll have to fight again." He backed off after that when he could have won the fight.

Then why did Rampage just sign a long term deal with the UFC? I really wish these guys trainers would teach them "you lost the first two rounds. Just go out there throwing bombs unless you don't give a shit about losing a fight"

Honestly I hardly ever see desperation in the eyes of a fighter who's clearly down on the judges scorecards. Do their corners tell them they're actually winning the fight? Are they that scared of getting knocked out?

Metal Jared on
    BattleTag: MetalJared#1756
    PSN: SoulCrusherJared
  • Options
    Raoulduke20Raoulduke20 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

Then why did Rampage just sign a long term deal with the UFC? I really wish these guys trainers would teach them "you lost the first two rounds. Just go out there throwing bombs unless you don't give a shit about losing a fight"

Honestly I hardly ever see desperation in the eyes of a fighter who's clearly down on the judges scorecards. Do their corners tell them they're actually winning the fight? Are they that scared of getting knocked out?

Rampage's corner told him exactly that, that he had to knock him out or he would lose. He was just too tired, I think, to finish after the few good shots he landed on Rashad. Rampage just looked sloppier than usual, so I think the time off was a big factor, and cutting so much more weight than usual had to have some effect.

Raoulduke20 on
    signatureih.jpg
  • Options
    ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Yeah, it's become clear that the UFC is putting on too many events. They should consolidate their lighter weight classes from the WEC and keep that organization as a proving ground for up-and-coming fighters. Otherwise they just don't have the fighter population to sustain the number of PVPs they're throwing out each year. This is doubly true considering they seem bent on following a short-term sport model, hyping things like undefeated records and championship belts over increasing education of the sport and developing good fighters (even if, god forbid, they have a few losses on record). I hate to say it, but the UFC is towing dangerously close to the failing boxing model, particularly since they have to piggyback on so many of that sports aspects (state athletic commissions, vague judging/scoring, inconsistent weight classes, etc.).

Also, I demand a GIF with a better angle!!111oneone If anything, it clearly shows that Dean is behind Rampage when Rashad falls to the ground, and therefore can't see anything that is going on. Eh, whatever, I stopped caring. The whole card was super-lame. I feel bad for anyone who paid to attend it live. Hell, I feel bad for myself for watching it on TV...

Red for wrong.

People from the UFC have been on Fox News, ESPN and Dr. Phil (weird, I know, but it happened) talking about the sport in the past and they are doing their very best to get the sport legalized everywhere and get people educated about it. To say that they're not is paying attention only to Dana's promoter schtick and nothing else. Getting more people that are educated in the sport means that more people will be interested in it. Some of them may even start training to fight (I know I am, along with with a few other guys in the thread). Today's fan could be tomorrow's world champ. Educating people in the sport is a cycle that helps keep the UFC alive.

And how can you say that they're interested in developing new fighters? What do you think TUF is for? The fact that the UFC is leading the charge to get MMA legalized in all states helps fighters in this country have a place to work up the food chain and be able to make decent pay wherever they are. The fact that the UFC has hosted events in Canada, Europe, Australia and the Middle East shows that they're trying to expand everywhere and make MMA a globally accepted sport. The more they expand their reach, the more small organizations pop up, the more fighters get to fight and train where they live instead of having to go to the U.S. or even Europe to make a decent living as a fighter. If that doesn't give fighters all over the world a chance to practice their craft and develop, I don't know what does.

Don't get me wrong. I know the UFC isn't some humanitarian organization that is expanding just so they can help smaller fight leagues open up or anything like that. They're in it for the money (duh). But one of the byproducts of that expansion is everything that I just mentioned.

ChillyWilly on
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    815165 wrote: »

Or the History channel.

I want to call attention to this comment because I laughed really hard at it.

In other news, Diaz might be pulled from his proposed bout with Marcus Davis in August if he's suspended by the Tennessee Athletic Commission for his part in the Miller/Shields brawl.

From MMA Weekly:
    The bad decisions surrounding the Strikeforce brawl in April may affect a UFC fighter's upcoming bout in August depending on what the Tennessee Athletic Commission ultimately decides.

Nate Diaz, who was in the corner of his friend and teammate Jake Shields, was also a part of the melee that broke out between the Cesar Gracie team and Jason "Mayhem" Miller in April when a fight erupted after Shields' victory over Dan Henderson.

Diaz is expected to be disciplined along with Miller, Shields and others involved in the brawl, according to a report by Sherdog.com earlier this week. If Diaz lands a suspension, it could affect his scheduled fight against Marcus Davis in August.

While the suspensions could range anywhere from three to nine months, if that timeline falls in with Diaz's fight, the UFC will honor the suspension and he would have to be replaced.

"If he gets suspended we're going to honor it," said UFC president Dana White on Saturday following UFC 114.

Jason Miller has already felt the ramifications of the brawl. He was yanked from a proposed bout against Robbie Lawler in June.

While Nick Diaz is also expected to face disciplinary action, he still went to Japan and fought on Saturday night, submitting Hayato "Mach" Sakurai at Dream 14.

White says that if you do the crime you have to do the time, and that's what Diaz will have to face if the commission hands down a suspension or fine.

"I didn't hear that he was going to get suspended. I didn't hear that, but if he does, it is what it is," said White. "These things happen when you get in a fight like that."

The Tennessee Athletic Commission suggested a nine-month suspension and upwards of a $20,000 fine for the athletes involved, but that could be reduced to a three-month suspension and a much lesser fine if the fighters don't contest the ruling.

A three-month suspension from the April would not affect Diaz's standing for the August fight, but there has been no final word yet released from the commission. Expect more news on this situation to be released when the Tennessee Athletic Commission reaches a final verdict for the fighters.

ChillyWilly on
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Also, here's the disclosed fighter pay for UFC 114 (yay triple post):

MAIN CARD FIGHTERS

-Rashad Evans: $435,000 (includes $185,000 win bonus) def. Quinton Jackson: $250,000

-Michael Bisping: $190,000 (includes $15,000 win bonus) def. Dan Miller: $15,000

^This is a ridiculously large gap^

-Mike Russow: $24,000 (includes $12,000 win bonus) def. Todd Duffee: $8,000

-Antonio Rogerio Nogueira: $120,000 (includes $40,000 win bonus) def. Jason Brilz: $11,000

-John Hathaway: $22,000 (includes $11,000 win bonus) def. Diego Sanchez: $50,000

PRELIMINARY CARD FIGHTERS

-Dong Hyun Kim: $64,000 (includes $32,000 win bonus) def. Amir Sadollah: $15,000

-Efrain Escudero: $30,000 (includes $15,000 win bonus) def. Dan Lauzon: $15,000

-Melvin Guillard: $38,000 (includes $19,000 win bonus) def. Waylon Lowe: $6,000

-Cyrille Diabate: $12,000 (includes $6,000 win bonus) def. Luiz Cane: $19,000

-Aaron Riley: $20,000 (includes $10,000 win bonus) def. Joe Brammer: $5,000

-Ryan Jensen: $16,000 (includes $8,000 win bonus) def. Jesse Forbes: $6,000

ChillyWilly on
  • Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Hm. Bisping had such a large salary with such a small win bonus? Usually the win bonus doubles what they earn.

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Spectrum wrote: »
    Hm. Bisping had such a large salary with such a small win bonus? Usually the win bonus doubles what they earn.

Yeah, that was exactly my thought. That is ... bizarre.

MayGodHaveMercy on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Not if you consider that it's entirely possible Bisping was the one who negotiated that disparity. Who knows, maybe deep down inside he (or his management) recognizes that he's better off going for the guaranteed payday rather than the big win. Then again, I can't stand Bisping and think that he is, at best, a gatekeeper, so maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part...

Inquisitor77 on
  • Options
    Hocky27Hocky27 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    The main event was a disappointment and a half. With all the hype from both fighters it was a huge let down to see it go to a decision.

Hocky27 on
  • Options
    DangerbirdDangerbird Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I thought 114 was a very entertaining card top to bottom. I haven't checked MMA Playground yet to see how I did on my picks, but I was probably 50/50 on them.

Anyways, at the UFC Fan Expo, they held an exhibition grappling match between Takanori Gomi and Shane Roller.

This is how it ended:

95tzlf.jpg

Dangerbird on
  • Options
    CangoFettCangoFett Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Yknow, I used to talk alot of crap about 10PJJ/Rubberguard, because they spoke about how it was so awesome, but never backed it up. Noone who used it was fighting in the A-game.

George Sotiropoulos is making me eat those words...

That jerk

CangoFett on
  • Options
    Metal JaredMetal Jared Mulligan Wizard Rhode IslandRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    MMAplayground finally updated it's rankings. Here we go:

Points Leaders:
    1 115 tw1tch
    2 102 Zzulu
    3 99 PeteRebel
    4 92 moleface
    5 91 Snarfmaster
    5 91 815165
    6 89 metaljared
    7 88 TehSpectre
    8 86 sportzboytjw
    9 76 ChillyWilly
    10 75 B-L
    11 63 Star
    12 59 DangerBird
    12 59 Mercy_XXVI
    13 55 Chagrin
    14 48 adytum
    15 42 Spectrum
    16 32 chokehead
    17 22 -Tycho-

Betting leaders:
    1 $6,995.00 moleface
    2 $3,375.00 metaljared
    3 $2,410.00 ChillyWilly
    4 $2,309.00 tw1tch
    5 $2,045.00 Snarfmaster
    6 $1,520.00 Spectrum
    7 $1,450.00 815165
    8 $1,425.00 sportzboytjw
    9 $1,305.00 Star
    10 $1,285.00 Chagrin
    11 $1,240.00 PeteRebel
    11 $1,240.00 adytum
    12 $1,190.00 chokehead
    13 $1,136.00 -Tycho-
    14 $726.00 Zzulu
    15 $695.00 TehSpectre
    16 $550.00 Mercy_XXVI
    17 $215.00 DangerBird
    18 $170.00 B-L

I'm still thinking of what would have been if Brilz didn't get screwed by the judges and my betting earnings became $42,000

Metal Jared on
    BattleTag: MetalJared#1756
    PSN: SoulCrusherJared
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    MMAplayground finally updated it's rankings. Here we go:

Points Leaders:
    1 115 tw1tch
    2 102 Zzulu
    3 99 PeteRebel
    4 92 moleface
    5 91 Snarfmaster
    5 91 815165
    6 89 metaljared
    7 88 TehSpectre
    8 86 sportzboytjw
    9 76 ChillyWilly
    10 75 B-L
    11 63 Star
    12 59 DangerBird
    12 59 Mercy_XXVI
    13 55 Chagrin
    14 48 adytum
    15 42 Spectrum
    16 32 chokehead
    17 22 -Tycho-

Betting leaders:
    1 $6,995.00 moleface
    2 $3,375.00 metaljared
    3 $2,410.00 ChillyWilly
    4 $2,309.00 tw1tch
    5 $2,045.00 Snarfmaster
    6 $1,520.00 Spectrum
    7 $1,450.00 815165
    8 $1,425.00 sportzboytjw
    9 $1,305.00 Star
    10 $1,285.00 Chagrin
    11 $1,240.00 PeteRebel
    11 $1,240.00 adytum
    12 $1,190.00 chokehead
    13 $1,136.00 -Tycho-
    14 $726.00 Zzulu
    15 $695.00 TehSpectre
    16 $550.00 Mercy_XXVI
    17 $215.00 DangerBird
    18 $170.00 B-L

I'm still thinking of what would have been if Brilz didn't get screwed by the judges and my betting earnings became $42,000

I don't feel too bad about my rankings since I didn't make any predictions on the site. :D

ChillyWilly on
  • Options
    doug_grammardoug_grammar Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Alright, I'll update that into the OP tomorrow.

... At least I did better than Tycho in points.

doug_grammar on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    My ranking improved in spite of me barely getting anything right, you guys are somehow being more wrong than me.

Stop it.
    CangoFett wrote: »
    Yknow, I used to talk alot of crap about 10PJJ/Rubberguard, because they spoke about how it was so awesome, but never backed it up. Noone who used it was fighting in the A-game.

George Sotiropoulos is making me eat those words...

That jerk
    George Sotiropopolopolos is awesome.

815165 on
  • Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Fucking parlay bets. Fucking Russo.

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    This is just for 114 -

Rank__Pts___User

1____74____tw1tch
    2____68____moleface
    3____65____Zzulu
    4____63____Star
    5____46____PeteRebel
    6____44____Snarfmaster
    6____44____815165
    8____43____adytum
    9____42____sportzboytjw
    9____42____Mercy_XXVI
    9____42____Spectrum
    12___41____TehSpectre
    13___38____metaljared
    14___37____DangerBird
    15___32____chokehead
    15___32____B-L

EDIT: I lost my parlay because of Duffee. Or Russow. I'm not even sure which of the two to blame.

MayGodHaveMercy on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Damn right my man did work
    If Rashad Evans lost I'd be so pissed

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010

I could really go without watching him hold someone against the cage for 15 minutes. At least he threw some strikes this time. If I recall correctly, he threw less than 10 strikes on the ground in the Silva fight. Less than ten strikes in 15 minutes. Well, not quite 15 minutes, but a vast majority of that fight took place on the mat. People call GSP a Lay n' Pray fighter, but Rashad epitomizes it. But, to be fair to Rashad, Rampage did nothing in the entire fight.

MayGodHaveMercy on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

I could really go without watching him hold someone against the cage for 15 minutes. At least he threw some strikes this time. If I recall correctly, he threw less than 10 strikes on the ground in the Silva fight. Less than ten strikes in 15 minutes. Well, not quite 15 minutes, but a vast majority of that fight took place on the mat. People call GSP a Lay n' Pray fighter, but Rashad epitomizes it. But, to be fair to Rashad, Rampage did nothing in the entire fight.

There was a decent amount going on there, though. And Rampage hits like a truck, so it makes sense that Rashad would keep his distance and think about when he was going to strike

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

I'm sayin'

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010

There was a decent amount going on there, though. And Rampage hits like a truck, so it makes sense that Rashad would keep his distance and think about when he was going to strike

Sure, Rashad looked pretty good on a couple of his takedowns. One of them struck me as unusually explosive, even. But the time spent humping Rampage into the cage really struck a sour chord with me. Herb had to break them up from that position, what, 3 or 4 times? I enjoyed Rashad more (still not very much) when he was ultra-confident in his striking prowess. Unfortunately, Machida disabused him of that particular notion.

MayGodHaveMercy on
  • Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    This is just for 114 -

Rank__Pts___User

1____74____tw1tch
    2____68____moleface
    3____65____Zzulu
    4____63____Star
    5____46____PeteRebel
    6____44____Snarfmaster
    6____44____815165
    8____43____adytum
    9____42____sportzboytjw
    9____42____Mercy_XXVI
    9____42____Spectrum
    12___41____TehSpectre
    13___38____metaljared
    14___37____DangerBird
    15___32____chokehead
    15___32____B-L
    I had alot more faith in certain people to finish fights than was probably warranted.

I did all right wager wise, though.

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg