As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

(Doodle) All Night Long (NSFW)

• McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    IN SOVIET RUSSIA, PAINTOVER DOES BACON!

swordguard2.jpg

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • MangoesMangoes Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    This looks much better. I think it would be cool to have some more Roman/Samurai-style layered armor in the chest area, though. To add flexibility.
    1-158.jpg
    Maybe not though.

Mangoes on
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2010
    Oh yeah, that looks much more comfortable, gibs.

tynic on
  • NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    That's exactly what I was thinking, Gibs.

NightDragon on
  • F87F87 So Say We All Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Ah yeah, that's the stuff Gibs. I think you should go that route, Bacon.

F87 on
    edited July 2010
    So while dicking around with trying to figure out a simpler comic style, I remembered why I stopped inking things.
    I'm too lazy to bother with things like... line variations... or hatching... or crap like that.
    kasya01b.jpg

When it takes me about the same amount of time to just speedpaint the damn thing.
    kasya01.jpg

Her name is Kasya. Is that a good name?

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited July 2010
    Welp, time to make you all hate me. I took some of the ideas there, mostly moving the center of the bust up so it's less saggy-tit looking, but I'm not changing the basic design of the breastplate, for the purely selfish reason of liking the idea of a simple, upside-down heart/triangle shape, to the point where realism is very much a secondary concern. I get it- it's just not what I want, design wise. (Otherwise I'd probably punch some eyeholes in that helmet, and get rid of that weird horn that I just put in there because it was weird).

swordguard3.jpg

Angel_of_Bacon on
    edited July 2010
    Much better. I think that works as well as McGibs' paintover. Though the space from her hips to her chest is unprotected, as well as the area between her boobies and her shoulders (the most common place to stab a person in a low-budget film).

Mangoes on
  • Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited July 2010
    CapnMango wrote: »
    Though the space from her hips to her chest is unprotected, as well as the area between her boobies and her shoulders (the most common place to stab a person in a low-budget film).

Eh, as the bad guy "The Doctor" famously says in the very popular Jet Li film that I am sure everyone has seen (and thus everyone will get this reference), Meltdown, AKA High Risk:

"No risk, no reward."

Hrm, that line doesn't have quite the same impact delivered in text format, or without being followed up by a bus full of hostages exploding.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • TamTam Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    it looks pretty cool, even if she'd get shiv'd really easily in the lower abdomen

the only gripe I have is that that is some thick-as-a-redwood lower leg armor
    unless she's a tree-woman and has sequoia ancestry- in which case I apologize

Tam on
  • SabSab Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Very cool. I like that you stuck with a very limited color palette.

Here's some 1 hr practice environments. I've had several people tell me that I need work on my color, it usually looks pasty, so I found www.colorshemedesigner.com and SS'ed a few swatch selections of color schemes I liked. I used the ones you see on the page on the lower half environs.
    I plan to do a lot more of these, they're really fun.

38622_527363887706_132501816_31178478_6853493_n.jpg

Sab on
    pasigsab.png
  • winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    swordguard3.jpg

What's she trying to do? Moonwalk?

Really nice design and colours. I dont like that little horny thing. maybe balance it out with a second horn or scrap it.

winter_combat_knight on
  • Shanghai SixShanghai Six Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Pretty amazing stuff, keep it up.
    <----envy

Shanghai Six on
    Max sig size: 500x80px or 4 lines of text
    FTG360logoSIGBLOCK.png
  • LexxyLexxy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    smof wrote: »
    Lexxy those portraits are really, really nice. I'm amazed when people get results like that from markers. I bought a bunch of prismacolor pens ages ago thinking maybe expensive markers are easier to use. Nope, I'm just a chump.

What do you draw on with them? Like, do you use really thick paper? I always have a problem with the colour bleeding, or the paper breaking apart.

Thanks! Right now I'm drawing on tagboard, which is basically the same thing as card stock I guess? Just heavy paper. It's a little bleedy, which I like for some things, but it holds up very well. I also have some other paper that I did the one of the girl with her eyes closed on, but I forget what it is specifically. I'll have to check. I know you can get "marker pads" too, which I guess is paper specifically geared towards marker drawing?

Also, I mostly use copics--they're a lot more flexible (and less smelly) than prismacolors. Hobby Lobby carries 'em--I'm actually going there today to pick up a few colors I want but don't have.

edit: Also also, I find that using them the way I would use watercolors seems to help a lot; starting things off with light shades and fills and building up the values gradually. For smoother blending, it helps to work on an area that is still fresh/damp. When I do the blushy parts of the face, I power through three or four applications of color in rapid succession.

Lastly, I don't think I cross-posted my most recent marker draws, sooooo:

ladyface3.png

And also Kimiko from Dresden Codak:

kim-1.png

Lexxy on
  • WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Lexxy, I have to say that your stuff is pretty damn sweet. It makes me want to be able to do your art.

Wassermelone on
    edited July 2010
    Wow, thanks Wasser! I'm really flattered, you're stuff is so awesome @_@

Lexxy on
    edited July 2010
    Lexxy, I kept looking back at your pieces and thinking "there's SOMETHING I would change." but not knowing what it was, because your stuff looks good. BUT I think I can articulate it now; Your faces are all so well colored and have good lines, but because it's so well colored I think it has too many lines. In the case of those two pictures, one too many lines.

I feel like if you removed the line of the upper lip but kept the lines in the key points (where the ends of the lips meet) you'd have a lot less busy faces and they wouldn't look like they almost have a mustache.

My 2 cents.

Sab on
    pasigsab.png
    edited July 2010
    I don't know, Sab. I have to disagree. I think it's pretty clear that they don't have mustaches, and I think the lips are very well rendered.

Mangoes on
    edited July 2010
    Thanks, Sab! I'll try that on one to see how it looks. I normally don't outline lips in my digital drawings because I prefer to establish their shape with color, so it makes sense for me to do the same with my marker drawings. I'll be offering b/w ones at the convention as well, though, so I'll still need to draw them in those cases.

Lexxy on
    edited July 2010
    Heres a pic i just got around to finishing. added the final contrasts to bump it out.
    oil paint on masonite and cleaned up a little digitally.
    made it into a book/comic cover just to balance out the empty space at the top.
    dont ask why i put german at the top. it was a random thingy :)

flamethrower-warfare.jpg

winter_combat_knight on
  • Synthetic OrangeSynthetic Orange Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    bitey_005s.jpg

Here's a little scaly guy beaten up a big horny guy

Synthetic Orange on
    edited July 2010
    Flame thrower guy looks like harry potter... with a flame thrower.

The hand of the lizard (around the mace) is very flat (the other one is very small) and the snout/arm tangent is bothering the crap out of me (my school is so anti-tangent recognizing them is a reflex now, ugh.) but I like the values, colors, and detail you put in a lot. Careful of those random veins. They look cool but people can get finnicky when details like that are done for details sake.

Sab on
    pasigsab.png
  • lyriumlyrium Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I like that the little scaly guy is cross eyed.

lyrium on
  • BelruelBelruel NARUTO FUCKS Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    doodlin

natasha.png

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2010
    She'll never get into the army with feet like that!

tynic on
  • MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    First time doing something more substantial than random boxes in perspective:
    perspecthing.jpg

The speakers at the top didn't come out right, but I think their resemblance to eyes actually works better. :rotate:

(and my handwriting doesn't get enough practice)

MKR on
  • ObilexObilex Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Trying to be a wakkawa

Water_by_Obilex.jpg

Obilex on
  • jpegjpeg ODIE, YOUR FACE Scenic Illinois FlatlandsRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    while the colors are nice obilex, the anatomy is weird and the waves in the water are very large and not in perspective, it makes them look super photoshopped

I worked a bit on this. the chainsaw still makes no sense! I moved it more towards the viewer a little bit (really just fixed the angle on the body that I had before) woo woo

krys2colorssm.jpg

jpeg on
    so I just type in this box and it goes on the screen?
  • ObilexObilex Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    yea, the waves were a quick fix excuse for not painting legs, it was all done from memory, so I figured there would be some anatomy problems on it. Are there any specific parts sticking out to you that I should fix?

Obilex on
    edited July 2010
    I worked a bit on this. the chainsaw still makes no sense! I moved it more towards the viewer a little bit (really just fixed the angle on the body that I had before) woo woo

She should be holding the crossbar grip, not that wierd... wrapped hook thing. The weight of the chainsaw hangs from the users arm like a sling. It's comfortable.
    The way you have all the wieght is being lifted by her bicep. Very tiring and awkward looking.

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
    edited July 2010
    I agree. maybe re-design a bit of the chainsaw. the design looks a little odd.

heres a pic from res evil 5 for a bit of reference on how they distribute weight

re5-chainsaw-majini.jpg

winter_combat_knight on
    edited July 2010
    It's an interesting stylization, and I don't know if I'd change it cos it looks neat, but that is some intense color you've got going on around her nipples and navel, Obilex. It makes them look more like wounds than flushed areas.

I did more marker drawings today! First one is a cross-post of Troll Lexxy, whom has been officially dubbed LEXXER DUGLAS:

trollsona_sm.png

And here is a commissioned piece. It's one of my bosses from my day job:

dtoon_sm.png

Lexxy on
    edited July 2010
    I wish I was good enough to get commissioned.

Alt-post: DROOOOOOOOOOOL

Mangoes on
  • FugitiveFugitive Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Sweet marker work, yo

[EDIT]

jpeg: She looks pretty well laid-out

I think you could stand to use more dynamic light sources in your pieces. You have a lot of images with multiple lights of different colors, but for the most part your primary light source always seems to come from straight on, like someone's taking a flash photo. It doesn't make them feel flat, but it does make them feel pretty static.

Fugitive on
    edited July 2010
    more doodlin of ladies. it is the same lady as above, but I looked at it again and hated the static pose, I have a horrible habit with doing that.

drank.png

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
    edited July 2010
    Belruel - I wouldnt call this one a static pose. The one posted at the top of this page is, but this one looks quite good. Her shoulders are a little big and pointy, but otherwise i like the pic.

Heres a picture of Opposition Leader Tony Abbott i did tonight. doing a little sketching in photoshop. something im not used to.

14m71c3.jpg

winter_combat_knight on
  • Cannon GooseCannon Goose I need some GAGS! If only I had my gag book!Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The likeness is very good WCK. Nice job!

Cannon Goose on
  • brokecrackerbrokecracker Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    been reading Perdido Street Station:

lincopy.jpg

brokecracker on
    edited July 2010
    yeah wck, I was referring to the top one's pose being static, the beanbag lady was an attempt at something a bit more natural. I was worried about her shoulders, I might mess with them a bit more later, thanks.

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
    edited July 2010
    ugly.png
    I made the ugliest woman I could possibly make. Trying to get used to making thin lines look clean.

Mangoes on
This discussion has been closed.