As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Red Dead Redemption] Co-op DLC available now.

• Options
    Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Fuck Liar's Dice

And fuck Voltorb Flip

UGH

I had no problem with Liar's Dice... Five Fingered Skillet however :x

Ragnar Dragonfyre on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Ok, so I just finished.
    Even though I knew John was going to die thanks to an idiot friend that spoiled the ending for me, I.. I cried. Now, what do I do as Jack?

Rizzi on
  • Options
    WishpigWishpig Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Ceno wrote: »
    Two things about the video:

1) Please spoiler it, so someone doesn't accidentally click it.

2) I would pay good, solid American money for people to stop putting their goddamn horrible bullshit music crap behind videos in an effort to "improve" them.

1. Done

2. agreed
    Rizzi wrote: »
    Ok, so I just finished.
    Even though I knew John was going to die thanks to an idiot friend that spoiled the ending for me, I.. I cried. Now, what do I do as Jack?

Well, now you...
    1.Slap yourself for crying like a wuss. John would NOT approve.
    2. Do anything you would with John beside MAIN storyline missions (and I know you stranger mission.) Bounties, strangers, outfits, mini-games, social club challenges, regular challenges. You can do it all!

Wishpig on
    WARNING: Picture below may cause spontaneous growth of facial hair and/or body hair.
    622545-8-1261525714230.jpg

Image by Sharpwriter on deviantart.com
  • Options
    LewishamLewisham Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Ok, so I just finished.

Go and see if there is some stranger missions left.

Less obtuse:
    Head to Blackwater

Also, get rid of your "friend". Friends don't spoil week-old games.

Lewisham on
  • Options
    RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Lewisham wrote: »
    Ok, so I just finished.

Go and see if there is some stranger missions left.

Less obtuse:
    Head to Blackwater

Also, get rid of your "friend". Friends don't spoil week-old games.

Ah cool.
    And yeah, I should hogtie him and leave him for the cougars..

Rizzi on
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Either I don't have a handle on Arm Wrestling (hah!) or it's just a really badly made minigame. Either way, I don't like it.

I also don't like poker. 95% of my hands are complete shit, and the players are half idiot, half extremely lucky. They will go all in on a pair of sixes, but they will also go all in on an Ace high straight flush. It's basically nothing like real poker.

Renzo on
  • Options
    fmz65fmz65 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Renzo wrote: »
    Either I don't have a handle on Arm Wrestling (hah!) or it's just a really badly made minigame. Either way, I don't like it.

I also don't like poker. 95% of my hands are complete shit, and the players are half idiot, half extremely lucky. They will go all in on a pair of sixes, but they will also go all in on an Ace high straight flush. It's basically nothing like real poker.

Or EXACTLY like real poker... :winky:

fmz65 on
    daleyk.png
  • Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Arm Wrestling is easy...you just have to watch the facial expression of your opponent.

If he's wincing/gritting his teeth, you hold A. The rest of the time you tap A to move closer to victory. The finishing move is mostly unnecessary, as you can usually just use the remaining stamina to finish off a match without having to wait for it to recharge.

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    Lt. FraggLt. Fragg Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

I don't know what kind of poker you're thinking of, but that sounds about right...

Hell, an average player in terms of tight/loose is folding 25-30% of hands...

I have found the logic of the poker in RDR to be pretty decent all things considered.

Lt. Fragg on
  • Options
    Pete0rPete0r Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I've just finished my first run through. Late game spoilers
    I wondered why the credits didn't roll once I'd killed Dutch, but looking back it is quite a nice epilogue and ties up a few things. It was also nice to see Bonnie again but to be honest I was expecting the Abigail to die and Bonnie become the love interest, or at least for Jack to hook up with her.

I think I'm going to start a fresh run and play through in a more balanced manner, I hardly did any bounties or stanger missions.

Again end spoiler
    I don't mind free play as Jack but I'd rather not just grind out bounties for a few days, instead mixing them up between missions now I know how to pace myself better.

Pete0r on
  • Options
    BakerIsBoredBakerIsBored Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    fmz65 wrote: »

Or EXACTLY like real poker... :winky:

Renzo, you should come sit down and play some Texas Hold'm with me and my boys. We'll gladly take your money. :lol:

BakerIsBored on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    UrianUrian __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2010
    How do you get the one-eyed assassin and legend of the west outfits? Ive been using the duster for a while and love it, but those 2 seem like the only other ones worth looking at.

Urian on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Urian wrote: »
    How do you get the one-eyed assassin and legend of the west outfits? Ive been using the duster for a while and love it, but those 2 seem like the only other ones worth looking at.

The Deadly Assassin outfit is a Gamestop pre-order bonus. The Legend of the West outfit is unlocked once you've completed level 10 in all the single player challenges.

Ragnar Dragonfyre on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Pete0r wrote: »
    I wondered why the credits didn't roll once I'd killed Dutch, but looking back it is quite a nice epilogue and ties up a few things. It was also nice to see Bonnie again but to be honest I was expecting the Abigail to die and Bonnie become the love interest, or at least for Jack to hook up with her.

I think I'm going to start a fresh run and play through in a more balanced manner, I hardly did any bounties or stanger missions.

Again end spoiler
    I don't mind free play as Jack but I'd rather not just grind out bounties for a few days, instead mixing them up between missions now I know how to pace myself better.

The game's not over if you haven't seen the credits roll yet.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    PunkBoyPunkBoy Thank you! And thank you again! Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Credits rolled.
    Damn, what a downer ending. Still, it was nice to have one glorious last Dead Eye stand as John. I kind of hope that the DLC includes more Bonnie. The last scene of her watching John and Abigail ride off was so depressing. :( I could imagine her being an "older sister" type character for Jack, though.

PunkBoy on
    Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
    The Linecutters Podcast: Your weekly dose of nerd! Tune in for the live broadcast every Wednesday at 7 PM EST, only at www.non-productive.com!
  • Options
    kevindeekevindee Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    Pete0r wrote: »

Again end spoiler

The game's not over if you haven't seen the credits roll yet.

Just reiterating what the above poster said. You have not finished the game yet.

kevindee on
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I believe that for Legend of the West you have to get to rank 10 in all four ambient challenges.

EDIT: dammit, beat.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    ANTVGM64ANTVGM64 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    So, I finished I know you, and he just sorta walked away after I shot him a few times and nothing happened. Is uh, is that what's supposed to happen?

I just finished the cattle ranch mission with my Son, so I dunno how much more I have left to do, so if the I know you guy ties into end game, don't let me know.

ANTVGM64 on
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Regarding the ending:
    If I could have tweaked the order of things, I would have put the credits after the shot of John's tombstone. Show the grave, roll credits, then when they're done go back to the game now showing Abigail's grave too, and playing as Jack. And then have the whole Ross mission as a sort of bonus for those who stuck around and kept playing. There's really no chance to let what just happened sink in much, it's just bam, 3 years later and you're now Jack. This way would flow a bit better I think.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    WishpigWishpig Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    ANTVGM64 wrote: »
    So, I finished I know you, and he just sorta walked away after I shot him a few times and nothing happened. Is uh, is that what's supposed to happen?

I just finished the cattle ranch mission with my Son, so I dunno how much more I have left to do, so if the I know you guy ties into end game, don't let me know.

If you talking about the I know you quest...
    Yes thats suppose to happen. He may be the devil, he may be death, he may be god... whatever he is he's supernatural.

Just make sure you keep playing the game untill the credits roll!

WHOA!!!! To those who have beat the game did you know...
    According to the main wiki, the strange man from the I know you missions is among the crowd of people that shoot john at the end!

Wishpig on
    WARNING: Picture below may cause spontaneous growth of facial hair and/or body hair.
    622545-8-1261525714230.jpg

Image by Sharpwriter on deviantart.com
  • Options
    LewishamLewisham Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Wishpig wrote: »
    According to the main wiki, the strange man from the I know you missions is among the crowd of people that shoot john at the end!

I never met him, but I sort of wished I had, after reading that wiki.

Lewisham on
  • Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Fuck Liar's Dice

And fuck Voltorb Flip

UGH

I had no problem with Liar's Dice... Five Fingered Fillet however :x

Five Fingered Fillet is basically a cheat code for money.
    abayaxabayabayaxabayabayaxabay woo $100

evilbob on
    l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Liars Dice is probably my favorite game in this game. Poker comes in a close second though.

hatedinamerica on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Wishpig wrote: »
    WHOA!!!! To those who have beat the game did you know...

Which has been refuted by people here.
    There are guys in black suits with Bowler hats, but that's it.

CarbonFire on
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

I can't remember the exact hands, but I had a round which went something like this:

"You show a full house, queens and 5s"

"Other dude shows a full house, kings and whatever"

FFFFFFFFFFF

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    UrianUrian __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2010
    Do I have anything to lose by killing that opium dealer for a thousand dollars in Mexico? Besides -50 honor or some shit.

Urian on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    evilbob wrote: »
    Fuck Liar's Dice

And fuck Voltorb Flip

UGH

I had no problem with Liar's Dice... Five Fingered Fillet however :x

Five Fingered Fillet is basically a cheat code for money.
    abayaxabayabayaxabayabayaxabay woo $100

I just fail at it.

What happens is I enter the button presses too fast and John stabs his finger even though I'm pressing the right sequence. So, I slow down and I go too slow and time runs out. I can't find a happy medium.

I took about 15 minutes to try to complete it for the Outfit requirement, but I got too frustrated and moved on. I'll have to go back to it eventually... but I'm not looking forward to it.

Ragnar Dragonfyre on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Urian wrote: »
    Do I have anything to lose by killing that opium dealer for a thousand dollars in Mexico? Besides -50 honor or some shit.

Nope!

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    Fatty McBeardoFatty McBeardo Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Holy SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIT, I wish I could have recorded this:

I took a bounty out of Armadillo, the target's location was in the northwest corner of Gaptooth Ridge. I rode out into a heavy thunderstorm. When I arrived at the target location, it was dark. And still pouring. That area of the map is full of small boulders, scrub brush, joshua trees, and cacti. Maneuvering a horse through it in the pitch blackness of a rainy night is very difficult. Plus many of the cacti are just about the same height as a man, so picking out targets from trees is another challenge.

I snuck up on the encampment, trying to get in close so I could take out the target's gang with a single dead eye window. One sentry spotted me and I had to take him out. Four or five more guys came running. And because of the darkness, thunder and rain, I couldn't see shit - even with the radar telling me where they were at.

These guys were all rushing toward me, shooting, not having much trouble seeing me. Meanwhile I had run out of dead eye pretty quickly, using it to search for them. This is when things started to get awesome. I had to start using the flashes from the lightning to find my targets. And it looked just like something out of a movie - seeing a guy lining up a shot at you for just a second and hoping you can hit him first, using nothing but reflex.

So after about a minute of nonstop shooting I'd taken out everyone except the target. He took a few shots at me and then he grabbed a horse and took off. My own horse was a Hungarian Half-Bred I've managed to keep with me for several missions, so I left him pretty far behind as to keep him from getting shot. I started to chase the target on foot and whistled for my horse. My horse caught up with me and I was able to hop into the saddle from a run, barely breaking my stride.

Now, normally this would be the end of the chase. The target was on a relatively slow horse, and my Hungarian is one fast SOB. But then we come back to the storm, the darkness, and the awful terrain. I kept hitting rocks and trees while trying to use the flashes of lightning to get enough of a bead on the target to lasso him. And it wasn't going well. Every time I'd get a glimpse of him he'd either change direction or disappear on the other side of a berm. Finally, he started to slow down and I caught him in the open. At this point I'd been chasing him for a solid 5 minutes. I tried to lasso him once and hit a tree that was between us. I tried again and got him. Yanked him off of his horse, he was down. I jumped off of my horse so I could hog tie him and drag his sorry ass back to Armadillo. But in between my landing and starting to run over him, my hand must have come off of the trigger because he got loose. So I started to swing the lasso to re-snare him, but we were now practically face to face and I had no room to maneuver. Meanwhile, the dude was getting ready to shoot me. I pushed him over and lassoed him again. But then his horse got close to us, so when I hit the Y button to hog tie him, the game instead decided that I wanted to mount his horse! Before I could dismount and grab him, the guy got up, jumped on MY horse, my Hungarian Half-Bred, and took off like a god damn rocket!

So there I was, in a thunderstorm, in a field full of obstacles, on someone else's nag with no stamina, watching my bounty target ride off on my very treasured and fast horse. My first instinct was to say "fuck this" and reload my last save. But then it hit me that this was more exciting than any of the missions and that I should man up and let things play out. I checked my inventory and I had 4 apples and some horse pills. No chewing tobacco or moonshine - and I was out of dead eye again from all of my using it to pick my target out in the darkness.

I fed the horse an apple to get its stamina back up and gave chase to my bounty target, who just graduated to horse theft. I also switched from my lasso to my Schofield. Once that bastard took my horse he signed his own death warrant. Plus I knew there was almost no chance that I would get in close enough to lasso him, given that he was on my rocket horse and I was on his brokeback nag.

I started riding after my horse, trying to follow his path, dodging rocks and trees in the darkness, trying to get a glimpse of the open trail as it related to his position on the mini map. FINALLY, after a good 2 minutes of chasing (and 2 more apples, just one left) I got onto the trail. And my target was still off trail. So I was able to start closing the gap. But I realized if the AI was smart enough to get the Hungarian onto the trail, that he'd be gone and I'd be screwed. Fortunately for me, he wasn't.

After a couple minutes more of chasing, we both raced through Ridgewood Farm at full speed. Keep in mind we'd started all the way up at the top of the map and had made a couple of large circles through the terrain before getting back onto the trail. My crappy horse was able to leap two fences in succession, if I'd missed either one the chase would have been over. We got clear of Ridgewood and the thief started to slow down a little. I was out of apples and pills but had a little stamina left in my horse. My dead eye meter was about half charged. Finally, I was able to clearly see the guy on my horse up ahead, slightly to my left. I activated dead eye, drew a bead on his head, and fired. The guy fell out of the saddle and tumbled to the ground. Dead. I hopped off of his horse, searched his body of the proof of having killed him, hopped on my own horse, and took off for Armadillo. I saw 4 red dots starting to close in on me from behind, but there was no way they could catch up to my Hungarian. We made it back to Armadillo, I turned in my bounty, and immediately saved before anything else bad happened. That was so great.

Fatty McBeardo on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Good Story.

Moral of the story
    Turn up your Gamma.
    Also, have tobacco handy.
    Also, SHOOT THE BAD GUYS' HORSES.

CarbonFire on
  • Options
    SliderSlider Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Multiplayer is getting very, very dull. This feeling occured after I completed a challenge by "rolling 25 times." *sigh*

I'd like to think I'm missing something, but it may just be that multiplayer sucks balls.

Slider on
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    CarbonFire wrote: »
    Good Story.

Moral of the story
    Turn up your Gamma.
    Also, have tobacco handy.
    Also, SHOOT THE BAD GUYS' HORSES.

You can also whistle your horse when someone else is on it and it will buck them off.

tofu on
  • Options
    l337CrappyJackl337CrappyJack Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Slider wrote: »
    Multiplayer is getting very, very dull. This feeling occured after I completed a challenge by "rolling 25 times." *sigh*

I'd like to think I'm missing something, but it may just be that multiplayer sucks balls.

You do have to make your own fun with it at the moment, yeah. I like to think of it as the wacky sandbox counterpoint to the single player's serious story driven narrative gameplay. I like to just run around doing challenges.

l337CrappyJack on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

You haven't really missed anything. MP in RDR is weaker than even GTAIV's MP, and that is saying something. Free Roam is about the only thing that is slightly improved over GTA IV. And it's still only a slight improvement.
    No Cops and Robbers. No Gang Wars. No Racing. Just lots of Deathmatch and CTF. Ugh.

Can't wait for co-op.

CarbonFire on
  • Options
    SliderSlider Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

You do have to make your own fun with it at the moment, yeah. I like to think of it as the wacky sandbox counterpoint to the single player's serious story driven narrative gameplay. I like to just run around doing challenges.

I've completed all of the challenges that are "interesting."

Granted, I could complete the "ride a horse 150 miles" or "run on foot 50 miles" challenges, but those are obviously sh*tty challenges.

And, every time I try to shoot the hat off somebody, I hit the poor bastard in the head.

Slider on
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Multiplayer is horseshit because the competitive modes get you utterly raped until you can spawn with decent guns and nobody from PA ever plays it online, at least whenever I try to play.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Just finished epic poker game in Blackwater that resulted in me finally getting my Army uniform.

Ceno on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Multiplayer is awesome. I've never in my life received so many death threats before I started playing this game.

I pretty much always have at least a 3 man posse and there's lots of solo players out there that try to fuck with us while we're doing challenges and hideouts. When they do, we camp him/her until they leave the game. Sometimes, people refuse to leave and it always yields hilarious results.

My friends and I harassed this one guy for an hour and a half before he finally hid himself somewhere in the north of the map that none of us could reach. He was livid. I've never heard so much bile spewed out over a video game before. Supposedly he's gonna hack our accounts now. :lol:

Ragnar Dragonfyre on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ArthArth Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Well... that was odd. Had a random guy challenge me to a duel. Rather than try to shoot THIS guy's hat off because it never works, I figure I'll shoot out both his knees, then shoot his gun arm to kill him.

So I queue up the shots, it fills the bar. Bangbangbang. Dude's down on his face in a split second, gun flying out of his hand to land on the steps to the saloon in Armadillo.

Motherfucker starts screaming in pain, sobbing, and swearing revenge. This ballsy sonofabitch then CRAWLS DOWN THE STREET dragging himself with one arm, his other dragging at his side, as his useless legs shuffle side to side behind him. Yelling about how the town will regret watching this happen.

I let him go. I hope he comes back so I can try shooting all four limbs next time.

Arth on
    Artheleron.png
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I remember reading someone had a problem with the rebel outfit in Mexico, where the scrap you have to buy was marked as not available. Anyone know if that is a bug? I have got everything I need for that outfit except I can't buy that scrap and I dunno why.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
This discussion has been closed.