As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

What are the odds of pregnancy?

Toxin01Toxin01 Registered User regular
edited June 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
Well, my girlfriend and I had a really short moment of unprotected intercourse, and I'm wondering the odds of her being pregnant. I know it was stupid, and I'm a bit freaked out, and I'd rather not anyone berate me over it.

So, here are some variables.

She is a virgin
I really only got like 2-3 inches inside her
I didn't get off, but I had about 3 hours prior from oral sex. I peed afterwards
I had no pre-ejaculate on me, and I didn't when I pulled out.

But now I'm a bit worried, what are the odds? Ugh.

Aiden Baail: Level 1 Swordmage: 19 AC 14 Fort 15 Ref 13 Will (Curse Of The Black Pearls)
GM: Rusty Chains (DH Ongoing)
Toxin01 on

• Options
    Fantastication2Fantastication2 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    The odds are very low, but that's still non-zero.

Fantastication2 on
  • Options
    DragonPupDragonPup Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I can't speak for the odds, but there are morning after pills for such an occasion. (although use protection next time)

DragonPup on
    "I was there, I was there, the day Horus slew the Emperor." -Cpt Garviel Loken

Currently painting: Slowly [flickr]
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    1. Very very very low.

2. She's not a virgin now.

Esh on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    DragonPup wrote: »
    I can't speak for the odds, but there are morning after pills for such an occasion. (although use protection next time)

Yeah, I got eh, heavily pressured. I stopped almost right away because it was to risky.

Toxin01 on
    Aiden Baail: Level 1 Swordmage: 19 AC 14 Fort 15 Ref 13 Will (Curse Of The Black Pearls)
  • Options
    DragonPupDragonPup Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Well, keep a condom in your wallet. It can save you the stress next time, or if your stuck in the jungle, can hold a decent amount of water.

DragonPup on
    "I was there, I was there, the day Horus slew the Emperor." -Cpt Garviel Loken

Currently painting: Slowly [flickr]
  • Options
    AlyceInWonderlandAlyceInWonderland Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Welp, she's no longer a virgin anyMORE :P

Anyway, if she becomes pregnant after that then she must be the most fertile woman on this planet.
    Pre-cum doesn't contain sperm. It comes from a completely different part of your body (Cowper's Gland. NOT the Testicles), and the only way it COULD contain sperm was if you came, didn't pee, and then had sex. You see, the only possible way for pre cum to contain sperm is if it collected it from your urethra from your previous ejaculation. But you went to the bathroom, so that would flush everything out.

Be smart and use protection next time, but the chance that she is pregnant is VERY very very small.

Edit: Don't keep a condom in your wallet. That could damage it.

AlyceInWonderland on
  • Options
    LieberkuhnLieberkuhn __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2010
    She is a virgin
    Completely irrelevant. Virgins can become pregnant just as easily as whores; the only "first time" factor which has any effect on risk of pregnancy is her first ovulation, which occours roughly two weeks before her first period.

I really only got like 2-3 inches inside her
    Not really going to help. Preferably, semen should be deposited right at the cervix, but pregnancy can and has been known to occour after depositation at the vaginal opening. Sperm are like the fucking terminator, ain't nothing going to stop them from reaching their target.

I didn't get off, but I had about 3 hours prior from oral sex. I peed afterwards
    I had no pre-ejaculate on me, and I didn't when I pulled out.
    Some sperm can be present in pre-ejaculate, and you can't be certain you had absolutely none on you at any point during sex. However, even if you did release some sperm, it was probably a very small number, and there is evidence to suggest that fertilisation isn't possible (or is at least very difficult) without a large number of sperm to wear down the egg wall before one finally penetrates it.

My conclusion: you probably got away with it, but keep an eye on the calendar.

Lieberkuhn on
    While you eat, let's have a conversation about the nature of consent.
  • Options
    SkyCaptainSkyCaptain IndianaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Actually, keeping condoms in wallets is bad. Friction, heat, and pressure can break down the latex.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/004001.htm

SkyCaptain on
    The RPG Bestiary - Dangerous foes and legendary monsters for D&D 4th Edition
  • Options
    DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    You have a better chance of lightning striking your winning lottery ticket during a thundersnow storm.

Don't keep a condom in your wallet.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • Options
    WezoinWezoin Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    You have a better chance of lightning striking your winning lottery ticket during a thundersnow storm.

Don't keep a condom in your wallet.

I wouldn't say the odds are THAT low, but they are pretty low if everything you said in your OP is true.

While a wallet can be bad for condoms, 'don't keep a condom in your wallet' isn't the best solution. Keep one in your wallet, but change it regularly. Throw them out after they've been in your wallet a while. A few weeks in your wallet isn't going to break it down that much.

Wezoin on
  • Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    A weakened condom is better then no condom. Toss the condom after a month of wallet time and you should be OK, but really do treat that like an emergency backup of last resort.

Yeah, you probably aren't pregnant. Even if you have sexy times numerous times throughout a woman's entire ovulation period, it's still very possible that she won't get knocked up. Humans aren't that fertile.

Robman on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2010
    Yeah, pregnancy is not nearly as easy as your health teacher and Secret Life of an American Teenager would have us all believe. The odds are very likely you have nothing to worry about from this.

That said, the odds are low, but not non-zero, and it only takes rolling snake eyes once to completely change your life, so make sure to use protection. Keeping condoms in your wallet is a bad, bad idea. So is "double bagging" it, in case you weren't aware and think that may help. Keep a handful in a useful spot in locations where you two are probably going to get intimate from now on (ie: your bedroom and hers, and the backseat of the car).

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    WezoinWezoin Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Instead of keeping condoms in your wallet, if you have a jacket with a pocket on the inside put one in there - less heat than in your wallet.

Wezoin on
  • Options
    DemerdarDemerdar Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Yeah.

People try for a few months at the very least to have a child. Some people fuck once without a condom and boom they are knocked up. I would say the former happens more often from the latter, and this is full on unprotected sex start to finish. Considering your case, it is extremely unlikely, short of witnessing the Sun supernova.

You're fine, don't freak out about this. Use a condom next time.

Demerdar on
    y6GGs3o.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Demerdar wrote: »
    People try for a few months at the very least to have a child. Some people fuck once without a condom and boom they are knocked up. I would say the former happens more often from the latter, and this is full on unprotected sex start to finish.

Both of these happened to my parents. Took them months of deliberately unprotected sex to conceive me, then a year after I was born they had one careless night and ended up having my sister.

That's careless, not unprotected. They used a condom.

Lieberkuhn on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Well, I appreciate all the input and advice guys. Its at the very least calmed me down, I'll post back once I know for sure

Toxin01 on
  • Options
    rfaliasrfalias Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Hey at least you can buy some rubbers and go all the way now. Since she's not a virgin and all.

rfalias on
  • Options
    SipexSipex Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Other things not listed here which don't guarantee non-pregnancy but might help calm you down more.

The vagina is a very hostile place for sperm so only a fraction of your sperm survive the journey to the egg in a normal ejaculation.

Add to that you have 3 types of sperm and only one of those types can actually fertilise the egg (I'm unsure of the ratio between the 3 types). For informations sake your 3 sperm types are attackers, defenders and fertilisers (unsure if these are the formal names). Attackers kill foreign sperm (ie: not your sperm), defenders create a web of sort to trap foreign sperm and fertilisers well...they fertilise.

I would cite this but I'm at work so searching this sort of info might raise some eyebrows, it should be encompassed in wiki if you want to read for yourself.

The more you know.

Sipex on
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I'm not going to go into the whole chemical mediation and the physiology, but you probably got away with it.

If you are still concerned, have her take the morning after pill.

Start using condoms, get her on some form of birth control (I want to give a big shout out for Depo - the girls I've known typically prefer that to the pill) and bang your brains out - since she's not a virgin no more.

MegaMan001 on
    I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    strebaliciousstrebalicious Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Odds depend on the people involved. Me and my wife (girlfriend at the time) had about 5-6 months of stupid, stupid sex before she got pregnant. Completely unprotected, didn't even bother to pull out kinda sex. After we got married and our son was born, we played the Russian Roulette method. Usually, I would stop myself before I even got close and handle things from there, but sometimes I'd barely pull out in time. Couple years of that here, couple years of birth control there, couple of years of the Roulette and 10 years later, we only had the one kid.

Morale of the story, don't be stupid like we were. Wrap it up. Hell, double bag it if you want. I heard some lady got pregnant, and she didn't even have sex!

strebalicious on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Morale of the story, don't be stupid like we were. Wrap it up. Hell, double bag it if you want. I heard some lady got pregnant, and she didn't even have sex!

Don't do this. It actually makes it more likely you'll spring a leak.

If you want extra protection, get her on the pill.

Lieberkuhn on
  • Options
    Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Demerdar wrote: »
    Considering your case, it is extremely unlikely, short of witnessing the Sun supernova.

On the plus side, that would probably take care of any unwanted pregnancies :D

OP, you're probably fine, just get used to carrying around protection. Wallet condom is better than no condom, just don't buy the super thin variety and they should hold up for a while.

And preferably get her on some sort of protection as well.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    strebaliciousstrebalicious Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

Don't do this. It actually makes it more likely you'll spring a leak.

Huh, I never thought this was a serious enough suggestion that someone, somewhere, would know what happens.

strebalicious on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Toxin01 wrote: »
    Well, I appreciate all the input and advice guys. Its at the very least calmed me down, I'll post back once I know for sure

You won't know for sure for a month or so. Pregnancy tests don't work for a while.

This is a great time for the morning-after pill so you can be absolutely sure you are OK. At the same time as she gets that, she can get some more permanent contraception, such as the pill, from her doctor.

CelestialBadger on
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    The "odds", while comforting, aren't really a helpful piece of information. A guy who gets struck by lightning doesn't feel any less pain because statistics are on his side.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    LadyMLadyM Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    OP, your girlfriend probably won't get pregnant. But you should still discuss with her, "Hey, what's the plan if you accidentally get pregnant?", for future reference. If she has moral/religious objections to abortion and/or the morning after pill, it's better to find out right now than when a condom breaks.

LadyM on
  • Options
    TechnicalityTechnicality Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

You won't know for sure for a month or so. Pregnancy tests don't work for a while.

This is a great time for the morning-after pill so you can be absolutely sure you are OK. At the same time as she gets that, she can get some more permanent contraception, such as the pill, from her doctor.

The scary thing about the morning after pill that I didn't know until I read the leaflet in the packet is that it doesn't make "absolutely sure" by a long shot. The particular one I read (if i remember correctly) said you had about a 1/6 chance of getting pregnant anyway if you would have without it. It makes an already extremely unlikely occurance a fair bit more unlikely, but its by no means a guarantee.

Technicality on
    handt.jpg tor.jpg

• Options
    Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Well, yeah. The only guaranteed, 100% full-proof method for not getting preggers is abstinance.

But that's not nearly as fun.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    The scary thing about the morning after pill that I didn't know until I read the leaflet in the packet is that it doesn't make "absolutely sure" by a long shot. The particular one I read (if i remember correctly) said you had about a 1/6 chance of getting pregnant anyway if you would have without it. It makes an already extremely unlikely occurance a fair bit more unlikely, but its by no means a guarantee.

No method is certain. The morning after pill is worse than most methods, so shouldn't be used as a regular method of contraception, but it is the only one they can use now!

CelestialBadger on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Well, she refuses to take a morning after pill, and has experienced spotting and sore breasts. However it is around time for her period.

Toxin01 on
  • Options
    flowerhoneyflowerhoney Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    she refuses to take it?

why?

I find people who refuse birth control but are sexually active (and don't want kids) very, very frustrating. No offense!

flowerhoney on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I don't really know, it's.. really making me frustrated. This probably isn't the right thread to vent though. We had this encounter on saturday, is that early enough for signs of pregnancy?

Toxin01 on
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I don't really know, it's.. really making me frustrated. This probably isn't the right thread to vent though. We had this encounter on saturday, is that early enough for signs of pregnancy?

If she was only like 3 days away from her period anyway, then there really is an essentially zero chance of pregnancy. Just calm down and use a condom next time - you may also want to talk with her about whether or not you both want or are ready for sex.

a5ehren on
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010

Yes. Really no test is good before a week, and as someone else said, it could be up to a month.

Anecdotal, my female friends swear the name-brand tests are better than the store/generic ones. Specifically the generics had a higher False Negative rate.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    AlyceInWonderlandAlyceInWonderland Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

The earliest sign of pregnancy is usually sore breasts...HOWEVER, the symptoms show up about a month or two after conception. It's either her period that's making them sore, or it's in her head. Seriously. Calm down.

Also, you two really need to have a discussion about what would happen if she became pregnant. It's ALWAYS a good conversation to have.

AlyceInWonderland on
  • Options
    cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    MichaelLC wrote: »

Yes. Really no test is good before a week, and as someone else said, it could be up to a month.

Anecdotal, my female friends swear the name-brand tests are better than the store/generic ones. Specifically the generics had a higher False Negative rate.

Pregnancy tests are finicky things, so it's very possible they weren't doing the pregnancy test rain dance properly and that's why. Most pregnancy tests aren't accurate until around a month after possible conception, or the full week after your period is late. They need to be taken first thing in the morning for the best possible result, ideally the first time you pee on the day that you want to test. The directions in the package need to be followed exactly. This is why most people who are TTC buy bulk packs, because you can go through a lot of them trying to follow the instructions exactly to get an accurate result.

cabsy on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Well, she started her period today. So I guess that crisis is averted. Now I'd like to know how to go about telling someone you don't want to have sex with them for a while. Being a guy, I feel like thats rather strange of me, but I'd imagine I should just make a new thread for that.

Toxin01 on
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    It's pretty easy

"Hi, I really like you but sex is off the menu for the indefinite future."

Usagi on
  • Options
    VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    "After what happened I think it's pretty clear we're not ready for sex yet."

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    "After what happened I think it's pretty clear we're not ready for sex yet."

That is probably the best way to go about it, I don't want to cast all the blame on her

Toxin01 on