As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[TENNIS] is a game about smacking balls

• Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Isner/Mahut on serve at 24-25.

This is becoming slightly absurd.

facetious on
    "I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    Wet BanditWet Bandit Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    27-27?! What the hell?

Wet Bandit on
  • Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Admittedly I was splitting time with the WC matches, but from what I've seen neither guy has even had a sniff of a break.

I did see one game on Mahut's serve at deuce, but that was it.

facetious on
    "I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Jesus Christ 28-29

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    It's like they agreed to do this before the match started

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    NoffNoff Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    If Isner isn't going to move on his returns, why not just stand inside the baseline to decrease Mahut's odds of serving it right past him out wide? What a bizarre match.

Also, winner of this match next faces De Bakker, who just won 16-14 in the fifth set of his match...

Noff on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    33-34

This shit is bonkers yo

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    DEUCE at 35 all!

Noff on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    ...and an ace and unreturnable serve to close that door.

Noff on
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    37-37

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    spiderj24spiderj24 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    This is absolutely crazy (Mahut/Isner).

spiderj24 on
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    At least this French dude isn't awful.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    41/42 This is insane

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    It's now officially the longest tennis match of all time

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    AvicusAvicus Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Holy fuck. I was up waiting for the Australia world cup game and saw that this tennis match was on. This is fucking ridiculous.

44-44

Avicus on
    stephen_coop.gifkim_coop.gifscott_guitar.gif
  • Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I think the guy over at the guardian live blog has actually started to lose his mind.
    7.10pm: It's 43-43 and John Isner is serving to make it 44-43, after which Nicolas Mahut will serve to make it 44-44. I'm indebted to the commenter who explained that Nicolas Mahut recently knocked the sensor of the net and that this is why the umpire climbed down off his chair and started slapping the cord with his hand, with his mouth hanging open and vomit all down the front of his shirt. For a moment I had hoped the slapping might have been his way of summoning the angel we've all been talking about, the one that will come down and usher the contestants up to their Eternal Rest. But no. Turns out it was just something to do with the net sensor.

Isner moves to 44-43. Mahut now serving to make it 44-44. Fingers crossed he makes it!

BobCesca on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    That's so great

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    Wet BanditWet Bandit Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Can you imagine the insanity if these guys traded breaks at some point?

Wet Bandit on
  • Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    yeah, he's lost his mind:
    And so this match goes on and on, on and on. Somewhere along the way, the players have mislaid their names. The man who was once Mahut is now a string-bag of offal. The man who was Isner is a parched piece of cow-hide. The surviving members of the audience don't seem to care who wins. They just cheer and applaud whoever looks likely to make a breakthrough and bring this nightmare to a close. Invariably they are disappointed.

The offal looks fresher, possesses a piercing backhand and still throws itself about the court on occasion. But the cow-hide can serve and has the advantage of going ahead by one game and forcing the offal to catch-up. This the offal is only too happy to do. It hits a backhand down the line and then follows that up with an ace, and the score now stands at 45 games apiece.

BobCesca on
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    46-46. This is insane.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Good god, 47-47.

Someone has to think about these guys' health, they have to be approaching some kind of physical breaking point, by now.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    spiderj24spiderj24 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    From The Guardian:

"What happens if we steal their rackets? If we steal their rackets, the zombies can no longer hit their aces and thump their backhands and keep us all prisoner on Court 18. I'm shocked that this is only occurring to me now. Will nobody run onto the court and steal their rackets? Are they all too scared of the zombies' clutching claws and gore-stained teeth? Steal their rackets and we can all go home. Who's with me? Steal their rackets and then run for the tube."

spiderj24 on
  • Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Someone has to think about these guys' health, they have to be approaching some kind of physical breaking point, by now.
    Perhaps that's what it'll take, physical match point, because this is insane.

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Whoever wins this has no chance of winning their next match

Hell they'll probably sleep through it

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    50-50.

It's rather strange seeing the game score as larger than the points.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    What the shit, Isner is in another marathon? That kid has jobber written all over him.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    51-52.

This is now the tennis equivalent of the Stephen King story "The Long Walk".

Lawndart on
  • Options
    ZeroCowZeroCow Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Lawndart wrote: »
    51-52.

This is now the tennis equivalent of the Stephen King story "The Long Walk".

This passed the point of being a short story a while back.

ZeroCow on
    PSN ID - Buckeye_Bert
    Magic Online - Bertro
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I love how the online scoreboard can't even comprehend it right now.

92 aces for Isner, good God.

And 82 for Mahut.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Whats weird is that even though they must be absolutely knackered, it's still a fantastic match.

Aces eveywhere, some amazing shots and decent rallies.

mere_immortal on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    TexiKen wrote: »

And 82 for Mahut.

The wimbledon.org one resets after 50 games a piece. Incredible.

Noff on
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    54/54 9 hours 20 minutes. How is this possible?

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Isner looks like he might be going crazy a bit, he's got that kind of smile on him like someone who's been in the sun all day.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    The winner of this needs to be in the wheelchair matches tomorrow

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Noff wrote: »
    TexiKen wrote: »

And 82 for Mahut.

The wimbledon.org one resets after 50 games a piece. Incredible.

I'm pretty sure that's a problem they never ever thought they'd have.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I hope someone can take a picture of the court before the match and after (or even if it gets suspended to the next day), because that's more than a whole day's worth of matches on that court, it will be clay by the end of the week.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    8.40pm: It's 56 games all and darkness is falling. This, needless to say, is not a good development, because everybody knows that zombies like the dark. So far in this match they've been comparatively puny and manageable, only eating a few of the spectators in between bashing their serves.

But come night-fall the world is their oyster. They will play on, play on, right through until dawn. Perhaps they will even leave the court during the change-overs to munch on other people. Has Roger Federer left the grounds? Perhaps they will munch on him, hounding him down as he runs for his car, disembowelling him in the parking lot and leaving Wimbledon without its reigning champion. Maybe they will even eat the trophy too.

Growing darker, darker all the while.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Guardian blogger has properly lost it.
    8.40pm: It's 56 games all and darkness is falling. This, needless to say, is not a good development, because everybody knows that zombies like the dark. So far in this match they've been comparatively puny and manageable, only eating a few of the spectators in between bashing their serves.

But come night-fall the world is their oyster. They will play on, play on, right through until dawn. Perhaps they will even leave the court during the change-overs to munch on other people. Has Roger Federer left the grounds? Perhaps they will munch on him, hounding him down as he runs for his car, disembowelling him in the parking lot and leaving Wimbledon without its reigning champion. Maybe they will even eat the trophy too.

Growing darker, darker all the while.

edit: Gosling you are the goosiest.

mere_immortal on
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    This is fucking crazy.

I taped the World Cup match, but added an hour at the end to make sure I got it all. So I saw the Sportscenter update that said it was 33/33 before the recording ran out.

Then I switched to live TV and the game was STILL GOING ON at 55/55. Ridiculous.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    visiblehowl, I think your sig says it all.

Gosling on