As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[TENNIS] is a game about smacking balls

• Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    Go Murray.

And, I think after his Olympics win, he will finally have his head in the right place to not completely fold like he did at the AO final against Djokovic in 2011.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Murray I swear to God.....

• Options
    COME ON ANDY! You're up a break in the fifth already. Consolidate it. Let's do this thing.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Well, that sure was a hell of a match.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AftyAfty Registered User regular
    So happy for Murray, now he knows he can win a grand slam, hopefully he'll be able to win a lot more

• Options
    Good match, chump move by Djokovic before the final game, but the result is what I wanted. At least someone named Andy is winning these days :rotate:

• Options
    Form of Monkey!Form of Monkey! Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Good match, chump move by Djokovic before the final game, but the result is what I wanted. At least someone named Andy is winning these days :rotate:

My DVR decided to record about 5 hours of fuzzy static instead of this match. So I'm a little distressed at the moment and trying to piece together what happened yesterday evening based on ESPN reports. It sure seems like hell is about to freeze over, because Andy Murray just won a major, but what was the chump move by Djokovic all about? Was there some controversy?

• Options
    Murray was about to serve for the match, and Djokovic calls an injury time out to freeze up Andy. Even the announcers knew it had nothing to do with a pulled groin, which was what he told the trainer.

It was pure gamesmanship, as the two were more than fit for the match, despite Murray holding his foot.

• Options
    Form of Monkey!Form of Monkey! Registered User regular
    Ah I see, that is a bit trashy to do. Thanks for the explanation. :)

• Options
    TexiKen wrote: »

My DVR decided to record about 5 hours of fuzzy static instead of this match. So I'm a little distressed at the moment and trying to piece together what happened yesterday evening based on ESPN reports. It sure seems like hell is about to freeze over, because Andy Murray just won a major, but what was the chump move by Djokovic all about? Was there some controversy?

Ugh, that feeling sucks. My DVR decided to not record the first 3 hours and only record the programs I set up afterwards in case it ran long, so I feel your pain... Fortunately, it's reshowing tonight on Tennis Channel.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The Australian Open is going to start in about five minutes. Hell yes!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I thought Nadal would be ready, that's worrying.

I'd like to see Murray win and keep the roll going, and as always want to see Hewitt contend (probably his final year, everyone else retired last year from his era outside of Federer)

• Options
    Hewitt just tore Del Potro's face off at a warmup tournament, so I wouldn't be surprised if he went a bit deeper than usual.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Whoa, Li Na just tore through Sharapova 6-2, 6-2 to make it to the final. She tends to play really, really well here, so it should make for an interesting final.

Even more interesting, Sloane Stephens beat Serena Williams to make it to a semifinal match against Azarenka. American tennis is on the way up again.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Man, so long!

French Open is pretty cool on the men's side. Federer lost to Tsonga, Ferrer is in the SF, and we have Haas vs. Djokovic (Haas beat him in Miami) and Nadal vs. Wawrinka tomorrow. I think Nadal will make it through but there is a decent chance all the top seeds would be out.

• Options
    Wawrinka's five setter against Gasquet was brutal whereas Nadal one his last match in straight sets. I'm pretty sure Nadal will just have a little more gas in the tank for the match. (I've been wrong before, though, and I definitely will be again.)

I think Ferrer can make it through Tsonga and into his first major final, which would be amazing.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Looks like there's no need to change the thread title, what the hell Nadal.

Hewitt's going hatless, oi oi oi.

• Options
    TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    He didn't just lose. He got destroyed. Even in the close sets, it never looked like the comeback was on.

PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    This is super fucking weird, but at least he made 9 straight finals in a row once he was back this year... At least this makes it easier for me to root for Murray without feeling like I'm betraying Rafa.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    As soon as I saw this thread pop back up I was thinking it was time to change the thread title, but noooope.

I honestly did not expect Djokovic to hold on to #1 for so long. It's really surprising.

• Options
    To be fair, he's behind Rafa quite a bit in terms of 2013 points, so anything can happen in the second half of the season.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    xraydogxraydog Registered User regular
    The knee situation must be really frustrating. I read that he realized something was wrong in practice this weekend. And what can he do? Just stick to playing clay tournaments? Tough situation. It'll be interesting to see what happens on the hard courts later in the summer.

Anyway, I'm rooting for Murray now. Just cuz I wanna see centre court go nuts if he wins. :)

• Options
    Anybody following Wimbledon?

Crazy day, seven retirements or walkovers. I think the grass is real slippery this year or something.

• Options
    pots+panspots+pans Registered User regular
    Yep, mental day today. Federer's in trouble at the moment.

• Options
    Yeah, all of this shit is crazy. Azarenka was my pick to take it this year, and that's obviously not going to happen.

We'll see if Federer has a second round loss... It looks like he might break back.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    pots+panspots+pans Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Well shit. Fingers crossed this'll be Murray's year then.

pots+pans on
  • Options
    Oh damn, that was a good match. Made up for Hewitt just being too old earlier today. I bet Roddick is kicking himself right now.

And Nadal is at least feeling better.

This could be a 2001 Wimbledon, where a dark horse really shows up to win it.

• Options
    I just realized that Sharapova is also out.

What is going on this year?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    I just realized that Sharapova is also out.

What is going on this year?

It seems like a once in a lifetime celestial alignment of super slick conditions, freak injuries, and people just plain getting old.

If Murray can't pull it out this year, I think the Brits be fucked for at least another generation.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    Serena just went out to Sabine Lisicki. This is nowhere near as huge of an upset as Nadal or Federer, as Lisicki generally plays well on grass and has a huge serve, but it's still pretty huge. The women's draw is wide open. The highest seed is now Agnieszka Radwanska, who was a finalist last year. I am pretty sure I will call in sick for a week to party if she manages to win. She generally plays super well except against the top three players, all of whom are out of the draw.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I've been rooting for Ferrer but I don't think he'll make it past Del Potro (who I don't think will just lose to injury next match if he makes it)

Verdasco won't beat Murray so the only way he loses is when he faces Djokovic.

• Options
    Oh, shit. Verdasco took the first set off of Murray. I didn't see that coming.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Murray needs to keep it together after the roof closure. He's visibly pissed off, and closing the roof has a tendency to screw him over. Come on Andy!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Missed both semifinals due to work. Can't believe it. Amazing day of tennis.
    Anyway, looking forward to finals this weekend.

• Options
    edited July 2013
    DelPotro/Djokovic was almost Safin/Federer from the '05 AO SF. That last set was just pummeling the ball and Djokovic scrambling.

I never saw Janowicz play before, but he seemed to rely too much on serving way outside and the element of surprise was lost after the first set. Incredibly weird backhand too, like he's stabbing the ball at the last minute.

I can't see Djokovic losing on Sunday, but this time Murray should at least be able to not have the weight on him now that he's won at the big time now.

In doubles news, go Bryans, get that continuous Golden Slam. It's nice that it will hopefully happen at Wimbledon where they still care about doubles.

edit: If you have four hours to kill, someone has the full 05 AO SF up, at least watch the final set, that was right when power still was power and the tennis racquets and strings didn't reach the full complexity of today:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3L70M5gxvw

TexiKen on
  • Options
    Murray can beat Djokovic on grass. He outserved Janowicz today, which is rather remarkable. Both he and Djokovic are excellent returners (though I have to give a nod to Novak over Murray), and they both have very good backhands. It should be a great match no matter what, but I'm pulling for Murray.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    edited July 2013
    Murray can beat Djokovic on grass. He outserved Janowicz today, which is rather remarkable. Both he and Djokovic are excellent returners (though I have to give a nod to Novak over Murray), and they both have very good backhands. It should be a great match no matter what, but I'm pulling for Murray.

Murray has a 100% record against Djokovic on grass.

Alistair Hutton on
    I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular

So what you're saying is he's definitely going to lose. :(

• Options
    TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    I'm pulling for djokovic because hating on the British in sports is my drug.

Especially on July 4th weekend.

TheBlackWind on
    PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    815165 wrote: »

So what you're saying is he's definitely going to lose. :(

They've only ever met once on grass.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.