Options

[Total War: Shogun 2] Laughs at Your Puny Computer (also general Total War thread)

• Options
    AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    What's the best online resource for learning more about Shogun 2? The wikis I'm finding seem pretty bare bones.

AuburnTiger on
    XBL: Flex MythoMass
  • Options
    TwoQuestionsTwoQuestions Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Man, I'm doing Avatar Conquest mode, and I'm getting murdered repeatedly. I think I'm 1/14 right now, I remember winning one where I happened to bring lots of spear samurai and he brought a lot of light cav, but any other time that's it.

Most of the time, I put my katana samurai against the enemy's loan sword troops, and they lose, even when my guys get the charge. I try to weaken them with archers/gunners, but it never kills more than a couple guys before they get to me unless they hang back for some reason.

Luckily it's impossible to lose your general permanently, or any territories, or else I'd be just starting a fight, then going AFK and play something else until I lose. Is there something obvious I should be looking for, or some game mechanic I'm missing?

TwoQuestions on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DemiurgeDemiurge Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Man, I'm doing Avatar Conquest mode, and I'm getting murdered repeatedly. I think I'm 1/14 right now, I remember winning one where I happened to bring lots of spear samurai and he brought a lot of light cav, but any other time that's it.

Most of the time, I put my katana samurai against the enemy's loan sword troops, and they lose, even when my guys get the charge. I try to weaken them with archers/gunners, but it never kills more than a couple guys before they get to me unless they hang back for some reason.

Luckily it's impossible to lose your general permanently, or any territories, or else I'd be just starting a fight, then going AFK and play something else until I lose. Is there something obvious I should be looking for, or some game mechanic I'm missing?

A lot of early level games are generally decided by morale checks. There's a few early general traits that reduce enemy morale in the generals aura and one that activates to reduce it further, if your guys are already wavering the active will break them. You can counter it by getting the morale buff yourself.

I gave up on multiplayer though, there was no penalty for turtling and in the end it just came down to me losing my patience and ramming into his archer wall and dying.

Demiurge on
    DQ0uv.png 5E984.png
  • Options
    TwoQuestionsTwoQuestions Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Ya, that must be it. I see their general pops a squat, and everyone around them turns into badasses. Oh well.

TwoQuestions on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Multiplayer battles are essentially decided before you engage. Though, you are exaggerating what is going on with your troops, something else is happening, as Loan Swords are terrible.

Muskets aren't there to kill enemies (though, if they are just allowed to sit there, they will), they are for morale shock. Archers won't decimate charching enemies, unless you focus. What you want to do is make sure to turn them around and keep shooting after they flee.

Always bring at least some cavalry, and smash the enemy once they get into melee.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    InkyblotsInkyblots Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Are they ever going to release the extras that came with deluxe addition as DLC? I need more clans.

Also multiplayer skirmish doesn't really interest me but how does online campaign work?

Inkyblots on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    What's the best online resource for learning more about Shogun 2? The wikis I'm finding seem pretty bare bones.

Anyone?

AuburnTiger on
  • Options
    BastableBastable Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I'm not sure there really is a wiki to learn how to play Shogun2.

Sorry Auburn

Bastable on
    Philippe about the tactical deployment of german Kradschützen during the battle of Kursk:
    "I think I can comment on this because I used to live above the Baby Doll Lounge, a topless bar that was once frequented by bikers in lower Manhattan."

• Options
    edited July 2011
    Have you tried using the Advisor and keeping the advice at high? I found him annoying but they really give you a nice start and then the encyclopaedia gives you the hard details you will want pertaining to units and stuff.

Inkyblots on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    My biggest question so far is this: what role does "growth" (meaning province growth) play in the game? I see many bonuses providing things like +2 growth per turn, but you know, I don't actually see what it does. Do my provinces get bigger some how? Does this provide more money?

Edit: Also, for whoever makes the new thread, leave a bit of room if you don't mind. I'm trying to compile a bunch of resources for people new to the game like myself.

AuburnTiger on
  • Options
    Steel-AngelSteel-Angel Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Someone give me instructions on how to beat siege battles in Shogun. I'm used to Napoleon where you sit back and shell it to pieces, but there's no howitzers or rockets to do it with in this game.

Steel-Angel on
    signaturep.jpg
  • Options
    DramDram Old Salt Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Someone give me instructions on how to beat siege battles in Shogun. I'm used to Napoleon where you sit back and shell it to pieces, but there's no howitzers or rockets to do it with in this game.

Send katana troops up the wall with the softest defenses. Have your archers sit behind them, outside the walls, and try to kill the general if he gets within range.
    If you want to get really tricky, bring in some siege units like mangonels, cannons or firebombers. All of them will decimate the walls of a fortress. But generally, I use katana infantry to scale the wall and slaughter the occupants. If I do have a mangonel or , I use them to rain fire on units in the fortress. Thus softening them up for the inevitable Katana rape party.

Dram on
  • Options
    Steel-AngelSteel-Angel Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Dram wrote: »

Send katana troops up the wall with the softest defenses. Have your archers sit behind them, outside the walls, and try to kill the general if he gets within range.
    If you want to get really tricky, bring in some siege units like mangonels, cannons or firebombers. All of them will decimate the walls of a fortress. But generally, I use katana infantry to scale the wall and slaughter the occupants. If I do have a mangonel or , I use them to rain fire on units in the fortress. Thus softening them up for the inevitable Katana rape party.

I'm stuck with nothing but Yari Ashigaru and Bow Ashigaru at this point in the game. ;_;

Steel-Angel on
    signaturep.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2011

I'm stuck with nothing but Yari Ashigaru and Bow Ashigaru at this point in the game. ;_;

Send the yari ashigaru in place of the Katana units. Yari units are great against cavalry, but shit in melee. So where I would have sent 4-5 katana units, send around 8 yari to compensate. Have the archers do the same as above. When defending archer units have been disposed of or distracted by the yari assault, move your archers up to the walls and let them rain arrows on the defending units inside. If their general gets in range, all the better. Kill him and you can easily cause a chain route which ends the battle.

Dram on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    The most glorious general that is Peul230688 (AKA; [BW] Angelos) has updated his channel with his first Shogun 2 video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQ7nXp8Bfpw

Dram on
  • Options
    AuberonAuberon Registered User regular
    edited July 2011

Send the yari ashigaru in place of the Katana units. Yari units are great against cavalry, but shit in melee. So where I would have sent 4-5 katana units, send around 8 yari to compensate. Have the archers do the same as above. When defending archer units have been disposed of or distracted by the yari assault, move your archers up to the walls and let them rain arrows on the defending units inside. If their general gets in range, all the better. Kill him and you can easily cause a chain route which ends the battle.

I'd say to not bother trying to kill the defending general. I've never seen a defending unit do anything but fight to the death (where can they run?), so I prefer to go after higher-value targets like the samurai retainers, or any warrior monks. If you really have nothing but bow and yari ashigaru though, you should consider just waiting out the siege and fighting it on the fields if they sally forth. Ashigaru have rubbish morale, and scaling walls really hurts that.

Auberon on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Whenever I've killed a defending general in a siege, the rest of his units have routed and fled the fortress.

Dram on
  • Options
    AuberonAuberon Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Huh. Well, there you go. Maybe I'll try it more often.

Auberon on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    So, if you lose a general or two in battle, how do you get more for your clan?

AuburnTiger on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    So, if you lose a general or two in battle, how do you get more for your clan?

Opportunities arrive to adopt young men as your sons, which essentially is the same as recruiting a general. More rare is for your Daimyo, his brothers, or his sons to also have a son.

I haven't played properly for a month or so. But from memory any adult male member of your family, adopted or otherwise, is a general.

Dram on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    I lost my veteran general which pissed me off because it was an auto resolve against an army with like 20 dudes. I had over 500 and my general ends up getting killed. But when he died I got the option to promote someone from his army, not sure if that always happens or if it depends on certain things you do.

Inkyblots on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Inkyblots wrote: »
    I lost my veteran general which pissed me off because it was an auto resolve against an army with like 20 dudes. I had over 500 and my general ends up getting killed. But when he died I got the option to promote someone from his army, not sure if that always happens or if it depends on certain things you do.

Most of the time, I've found that if you win a battle without a general, your reward is essentially being given a general, free of charge. This is usually explained as someone distinguishing themselves on the field of battle, and giving you the option to promote/adopt them.

Dram on
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited July 2011

Auto resolve or wait them out.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    The artillery you do have can be useful...for clearing the way and blasting down gates, if you're lucky. Otherwise, yeah, you need to climb those walls the old fashion way.

Hopefully, it's not raining.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    I just had my first experience of Realm Divide, WITH the mod installed. Despite the mod, I had 8 clans all declare war on me simultaneously. Ridiculous.

I think I'm going to install the no realm divide mod.

AuburnTiger on
  • Options
    TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    If you don't have the realm divide on, you more or less win within the first 10 years. Realm divide actually creates a late game challenge.

TheGerbil on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    TheGerbil wrote: »
    If you don't have the realm divide on, you more or less win within the first 10 years. Realm divide actually creates a late game challenge.

Maybe for you, but I feel like I'm struggling just on Normal. No way I'm winning anything in the first 10 years.

AuburnTiger on
  • Options
    Cobalt60Cobalt60 regular Registered User regular
    edited July 2011

This.

When I control half the provinces in the country the only way I'm going to be challenged is if the other half joins forces to fight back.

Cobalt60 on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Cobalt60 wrote: »

This.

When I control half the provinces in the country the only way I'm going to be challenged is if the other half joins forces to fight back.

In my Uesegi game, even my own vassals turned on me eventually. When I realised they would all eventually do so, I sent ninja into their provinces to sabotage their farms and create rebellions due to lack of food. Then when the rebels take over the province, I can wander in and take it back for myself. Unfortunately this also means I lose all my trading partners, and thus a large chunk of income.

Dram on
  • Options
    WishpigWishpig Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I just had, what I can officially say, was the most epic Shogun 2 match ever.

It was a siege, I was assaulting as Ikko and my opponent was defending as date. I made 2 major mistakes.

1. Wasted money on shitty trebuchets
    2. Had less units than he did (he had the benefit of defending after all)

So when I finally charged my troops and had them climb the walls... they got crushed pretty fucking hard. It went to hell, and though I thinned their numbers, it was 400 vs my 30 hero warrior monks in the end. I won.

BY ONE FUCKING GUY.

No kidding, I was down to a single unit and that unit had to take down 30 troops by himself. It was insane. SO freakin epic.

Wishpig on
    WARNING: Picture below may cause spontaneous growth of facial hair and/or body hair.
    622545-8-1261525714230.jpg

Image by Sharpwriter on deviantart.com
  • Options
    TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Cobalt60 wrote: »

This.

In my Uesegi game, even my own vassals turned on me eventually. When I realised they would all eventually do so, I sent ninja into their provinces to sabotage their farms and create rebellions due to lack of food. Then when the rebels take over the province, I can wander in and take it back for myself. Unfortunately this also means I lose all my trading partners, and thus a large chunk of income.

If you station a big stack of troops near their borders it usually keeps them in line. But yeah, one thing I don't like is how your vassals will turn on you.

TheGerbil on
  • Options
    RohanRohan Registered User regular
    So... it's been a while since anyone's posted here. Is there any indication at all as to what CA's next game will be? I wonder, now that they've gotten the naval aspect down (specifically, the ship-ramming programming) if there's a chance that we'll be getting a sequel to Rome. We've had sequels to everything but Rome now, so the time is right.

The thought of launching Carthaginian armies into Italy, running on a new engine, is keeping me up at night.

...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
  • Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    I would be extremely surprised if it wasn't Rome. The family influence system in the Rise of the Samurai dlc just screams like it'd be a better Rome mechanic.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    The Shogun 2 DLC is all on sale on Steam. How is it? I've already got the Ikko Ikki stuff, are the other packs worth picking up?

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    The Shogun 2 DLC is all on sale on Steam. How is it? I've already got the Ikko Ikki stuff, are the other packs worth picking up?
    It's marginally cheaper at gamersgate, and should be steamworks

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RohanRohan Registered User regular
    Well, we said we’d have some news coming “soon”, and here it is!

We’re delighted to announce a brand new standalone expansion for Total War: Shogun 2. Fall of the Samurai is a huge piece of new content and it’s coming March 2012. The scale of this expansion is significantly larger than anything we’ve produced so far for Shogun 2.

Fall of the Samurai explores the conflict between the Imperial throne and the last Shogunate in 19th century Japan, 400 years after the events of the original game – a dramatic clash of traditional Samurai culture with the explosive power of modern weaponry.

New on the scene will be America, Britain and France, whose arrival incites a ferocious civil war to decide the fate of the nation. You’ll be able to play one of six new playable clans, supporting either the Imperial throne or the last Shogunate.

In Fall of the Samurai, we’ll be supporting features like railway networks, ironclad warships, improved siege battle mechanics (with upgradable tower defences, each with their own speciality).

There will be whole new land and sea unit interactions, including the ability to call in offshore artillery support barrages. Coastal gun emplacements can conversely target enemy ships, bringing a new synergy to land and sea elements of gameplay. Players can even call in campaign map bombardments – bombarding armies and cities in adjacent coastal areas of the campaign map itself. It’s time to rethink your strategy…

You’ll also be able to get your hands on three new agent types: the Foreign Veteran, the Ishin Shishi and the Shinsengumi.

Mulltiplayer’s also had a major overhaul, ushering in the era of “Multiplayer 2.0”. We’ll be introducing a new Conquest map, reflecting the 19th century setting, bringing with it a brand new Fall of the Samurai avatar, including:

Over 40 new retainers

Over 30 new armour pieces

A new 19th century avatar skill tree

We’re also introducing multiple avatars for the first time, allowing players to enjoy multiple careers and progression across Shogun 2 and Fall of the Samurai.

This huge clash of eastern culture versus western culture promises to bring with it a vast new experience for players. Expect a big campaign to get your hands on. We’ll bring more information on it over the coming weeks and months, so be sure to stay tuned to the Total War blog, forums, Facebook, Twitter and Tumblr for more information as it’s released.

http://blogs.sega.com/totalwar/2011/11/28/total-war-shogun-2-fall-of-the-samurai-announced/

Blah. Where's my Rome 2?

...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
  • Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Spoit wrote:
    It's marginally cheaper at gamersgate, and should be steamworks

I only see Ikko Ikki on there. Nevermind their search kind of sucks. Thanks for the heads up.

Getting back to my original questions, are they DLC packs worth picking up?

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    You know what I'd like to see? A Romance of the Three Kingdoms setting where you unite the warring provinces of China, or a Mongol Empire setting. Not like the Mongol Invasion expansion of Shogun, or the mongol faction in Medieval 2. I mean a proper Mongol Empire setting where you can expand westwards into the rest of Asia, the middle east and even as far as Hungary.

• Options
    KlashKlash Lost... ... in the rainRegistered User regular
    edited November 2011
    With separate Mongolian clans, too. Choose Genghis' tribe, and unite the Mongols through vassalage as a campaign mission. Hell, have a campaign requirement of using vassals, since so much of the Mongol empire was vassal kingdoms paying up to the top.

I still miss the old "Alright, you've had enough time to ready. Here's the God damned Huns/Mongols/something terrible, hope you enjoy eating dirt." They should find a way to work that back in. Also count me on the Rome 2 want-wagon. What I would give to bring civilizations to the barbarians in the North and burn Carthage.

Edit: And does anyone have advice for Ikko Ikki? Because of the religion issue, I've got half my provinces untaxed. I mean, yeah, I'm holding well against large clans, but the next province I take will mean realm divide. I can't deal with realm divide if I can't stabilize my provinces.

Klash on
    We don't even care... whether we care or not...
  • Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    Hnnnnnng this standalone sounds so great. Like crossing Shogun 2 and Napoleon. I loved Napoleon so much.

Are you the magic man?