As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Flay's Flailings (NSFW/NSF56K)

• Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    Another WIP poster, for uni again

ipC8T.jpg

EDIT: Hooray for a new page!

Flay on
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    nice poster dude. You've made some notable improvements lately.

• Options
    edited December 2012
    Thanks Iruka! Making the best of free time while I have it.

Second pass on this:

7OYK0.jpg

Flay on
  • Options
    KatieKatie Registered User regular
    I wanna get my katamari and roll it all up.

I like the outline you've given the egg in your logo, it stops it from being swallowed up. You could make it a tiny bit bigger but personally I think what you've created is eyecatching, fun and professional looking. The smoke from the volcano and the change you make to the clouds are brilliant too. Oh and the triangle waves/breakers in the sea are very cool.

*pat on the back for you*

• Options
    edited January 2013
    Thanks! I completely agree about the logo, so I've redone it to something better.

I think I'm just about done with this, although I may change the dragon a bit.

EDIT: Improved the volcano and the dragon.

LaPQo.jpg

Flay on
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Another poster commission!

mv6CV.jpg

Flay on
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    An updated version of an old university animation

http://youtu.be/LJ7IHb6E8Rg

Flay on
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    I like it! Really clean and smooth, flay.

• Options
    brokecrackerbrokecracker Registered User regular
    Love the video, that is really great stuff! You may have mentioned before, but what program do you animate in?

• Options
    edited January 2013
    Thanks guys. The artwork is almost entirely drawn in Illustrator, and then I animate everything in After Effects. Working with paths/vectors in AE can be tricky, but when you get the hang of it there are so many more options available than Flash.

Also spending hours rendering and uploading videos only to find that one mistake you missed is the worst. I've uploaded a new version.

Flay on
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Went to the art gallery today to draw some statues

SwwcO.jpg

T6tzM.jpg

Yick, these look a lot better on paper than they do scanned. I didn't push the contrast hard enough on the first one, so I went a little further on the second.

EDIT: Replaced the shitty scans with shitty photographs, that's better.

EDITx2: Also posting these here in case I ever want to find them again.

bnEfQ.jpg

Flay on
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Finished drawing 100 faces today but that's too much damn work to scan so here's just a few of them

xyPIjtH.jpg

ebPfnxI.jpg

40twVLu.jpg

wgn9Dgy.jpg

Also a sphere

gKFEr4H.jpg

Flay on
  • Options
    HalenHalen Registered User regular
    Flay, those face sketches are amazing!

Draw an egg.
  • Options
    JohnTWMJohnTWM Registered User regular
    Nice flay, those faces are pretty great. The second statue's body seems a bit long, but he could have been carved with more of the 'heroic' proportions, so yours may be accurate.

• Options
    I have a tendency to make my legs too long, but I didn't take a photo so I couldn't be sure. Thanks guys.

• Options
    edited February 2013
    I've been working hard to get over my absolute dread of drawing from imagination.

IHvXVrq.jpg

Although I used a mirror and a bit of Loomis as a reference for these. It finally sunk in that one the reasons my lines never look quite right is that I take my pen off the paper a bit too often.

Flay on
  • Options
    ninjaininjai Registered User regular
    Where did you get the references for the faces? I am just googling specific people, idk where to look :/

• Options
    Yeah, I had a lot of trouble finding decent references too. The main places I used were Fickr, DeviantArt's Resource Section, Lovecastle's Drawing Script and various tumblr pages like Portraits for Drawing.

I found it also helped to try keywords like 'head', 'face', 'neck' etc... rather than just searching for 'portrait', which turned up a lot of samey, airbrushed photos.

• Options
    edited February 2013
    Shitty still life, about an hour and a half:

LMfFahd.jpg

Flay on
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    I think I'm done with this.

oRFygHt.jpg

Flay on
  • Options
    Flay that bust is crazy sick man. I'm floored when you whip this kind of stuff out.

• Options
    squidbunnysquidbunny Registered User regular
    Agreed, Flay. That bust is phenom. You are getting so, so good.

header_image_sm.jpg
  • Options
    Thanks guys. :oops:

I just finished touching this up a bit, so I'll post it here for posterity.

INeS5P5.jpg

• Options
    I'm working on this at the moment, but the composition isn't quite right. Any tips?

ObeoMgb.jpg

• Options
    What is the message?

• Options
    There isn't one, really. It's something I painted for mothers day, because my mum likes elephants.

• Options
    Done with this for now! I'd still really appreciate crits though, because I'll probably come back to it soon.

JUOvkqU.jpg

• Options
    edited June 2013
    Another colour study

Reference

jYT7RT6.jpg

Flay on
  • Options
    An animation that I never got around to uploading:

http://youtu.be/g2k9y545EV4

• Options
    franciumfrancium Registered User regular
    flay, on your 100 faces project, did you do those from photo or from life?

• Options
    Drew them all from photos. Looking back, I think I would have learned more if I'd drawn at least a few from life.

• Options
    edited June 2013
    I'm working on a print to sell online, but I don't think it's quite working yet, and I'm not sure why. This is still super rough, but does anyone have any suggestions as to where I should head next with this? I want to make the 'sushi' aspect stand out more, but I'm not sure how.

cjBzb6P.png

Flay on
  • Options
    Red RaevynRed Raevyn because I only take Bubble Baths Registered User regular
    I think it doesn't look like sushi because of the arrangement. A huge part of what defines sushi is the presentation. You'll see it a little mixed now and then, but generally (and that's what we want to match, to have a viewer get it) it is orderly. There are a lot of ways to do it such as stacked longitudinally or in a row but set at an angle, but I'd definitely use some existing method. One cool idea would be to crack an insect anatomy book and have a long insect sliced in cross-section (like sushi rolls). Here's what I mean about organized:

qbU4aeF.png

It looks less artsy arranged, but I think it says sushi more. The other thing about your original layout is that the bugs are all torsos vertical, which is the way you see them pinned in museums. It's a nice layout, but it's fighting against associations with butterfly collections.

• Options
    Thanks man! For some reason I was stuck in the mentality that everything needed to be vertically aligned, you've helped me get over a huge hump in the design process.

• Options
    edited June 2013
    How's this?

iT2umuI.png

(Still very rough.)

Flay on
  • Options
    franciumfrancium Registered User regular
    i love this concept flay. the quarter views look amazing. i want a shirt pin for each one. these would be great ear rings too.

• Options
    F87F87 So Say We All Registered User regular
    Flay, your work has a really awesome quality to it. I'm a big fan of your design work and studies.

I do think that on the mounted warrior, the figure isn't up to par with the mount. It's a combination of the pose and the anatomy (especially the face). Some reference would go a long way there. Also the line width needs more variation.

All in all, I'm really impressed with your work here, post more!!

• Options
    Francium: Thanks! I hope other people think so too when I put it up for sale. It still has a long way to go though.

F87: Cheers! That Valkyrie isn't my best work for sure, but I think I learned a few things. Hopefully my anatomy will improve when I study fine art next year.

• Options
    I'm having trouble getting the composition for this one to work. Opinions?

axRb92C.png

AXRwYkF.png

a3qoVcS.png

• Options
    McDMcD Registered User regular
    My vote goes for the third one, but it might be interesting to see the three red bugs on the left hand side of the chopping board and the others moved over to the right, if that makes sense? Looks great, though!