Options

[WoW] [Chat]tlenet 2.0

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I agree why can I not trade them to an alt I am drowning in them with my warlock I think I have over 700 and I don't feel like buying a mammoth

Brainleech on
  • Options
    PoketpixiePoketpixie Siege Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Brainleech wrote: »
    I agree why can I not trade them to an alt I am drowning in them with my warlock I think I have over 700 and I don't feel like buying a mammoth

I suspect because they don't want us to be able to gear up one character while playing another. They'd rather keep 'em separated.

Poketpixie on
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Poketpixie wrote: »

I suspect because they don't want us to be able to gear up one character while playing another. They'd rather keep 'em separated.

That's exactly it. That system makes no sense. They want you to play your characters. Why design a system where, if you want gear on your mage... you play your warrior to collect it?

You do the work on the character you want to reap the rewards. If you want gear on a character, you play that character. It's a pretty sound design decision that they like.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    drhazarddrhazard Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    That would be a sound design decision if the experience of gearing characters were relatively equal, but they're not. My rogue will remain my least-geared character because there is no way to spec into tanking or healing with it, so my queues are around 20 minutes on her.

And I geared up my warrior before he hit 80 by getting crafted items and BOEs for him on my priest. Yes, some of them weren't permanent (really only two of them were), but I definitely used one character to gear another.

drhazard on
    SCB.jpg
  • Options
    jackaljackal Fuck Yes. That is an orderly anal warehouse. Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    drhazard wrote: »
    That would be a sound design decision if the experience of gearing characters were relatively equal, but they're not. My rogue will remain my least-geared character because there is no way to spec into tanking or healing with it, so my queues are around 20 minutes on her.

And I geared up my warrior before he hit 80 by getting crafted items and BOEs for him on my priest. Yes, some of them weren't permanent (really only two of them were), but I definitely used one character to gear another.

The whole point of BoEs is to allow this sort of thing, but getting a bunch of blue 200s and some purple 200s and a couple very expensive 245s isn't the same thing as completely gearing up an alt.

jackal on
  • Options
    MutilateMutilate Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Poketpixie wrote: »

That's exactly it. That system makes no sense. They want you to play your characters. Why design a system where, if you want gear on your mage... you play your warrior to collect it?

You do the work on the character you want to reap the rewards. If you want gear on a character, you play that character. It's a pretty sound design decision that they like.

It's not sound at all since you still have to, you know, play the alt 1-80 going through the LFD and questing and for a large part of the community with gear that your other character gave to them! It's the same thing as heirlooms in that you are giving your character gear to boost them through lower tier content. Now I am not saying give alts Frosts because those need to be earned but again I hardly see how being able to pass down Triumphs to a fresh 80 is going to hurt anything. I would actually play my Druid on days other than raids if I knew my triumphs would be put to good use.

Mutilate on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    It's not just blue/purple 200s and a couple expensive 245s, though. I could have completely geared up my warrior in PVP stuff with my priest as well using Stonekeeper shards and WG marks (granted, I love WG).

This is all secondary, though. My main argument is, sitting there for 20 minutes on my rogue, waiting for a dungeon, is not fun, and is not the same experience as queuing on my priest. If you could transfer emblems, I could see more people playing their tanks and healers to transfer to their DPS instead of wasting time going in circles in Dal.

drhazard on
    SCB.jpg
  • Options
    MutilateMutilate Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    It's not just blue/purple 200s and a couple expensive 245s, though. I could have completely geared up my warrior in PVP stuff with my priest as well using Stonekeeper shards and WG marks (granted, I love WG).

This is all secondary, though. My main argument is, sitting there for 20 minutes on my rogue, waiting for a dungeon, is not fun, and is not the same experience as queuing on my priest. If you could transfer emblems, I could see more people playing their tanks and healers to transfer to their DPS instead of wasting time going in circles in Dal.

I was just thinking about passing down emblems now stonekeeper shards and the like. Then it becomes a slippery slope as to why only allow one and not the other. I still don't see how it would game breaking even for PVP.

Mutilate on
  • Options
    formatformat Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

Make friends with a tank.

Or pay someone to be your friend.

format on
    You don't know if I am joking or not.
  • Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Tomanta wrote: »
    jackal wrote: »
    Wouldn't it only be the gloves you can get for 11-12 levels? Any BC gloves with two gem slots would make it look pretty bad in comparison.

Nope.

This (http://www.wowhead.com/item=23508) is the closest, and I can't get it until 66, and at moderate to great expense. I don't know how much adamantium goes for now that not everyone is trawling outlands for it.

The Edgemaster's Handguard really are fantastic gloves.

Ironic since in vanilla it was probably the worst item in the game. I didn't even realize they had been changed. Hit and Expertise on something pre-60 is pretty nice.

Eh, Edgemaster Handguards were (allegedly) best in slot for fury warriors until Gauntlets of Annihilation off C'thun. Most people just had no idea how weaponskill worked, or what glancing blows were. Chalk it up to shitty itemization on Blizzard's part.

Grundlestiltskin on
    3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    EWom wrote: »
    EverQuest was the worst of them all though, here's an example quest from everquest.

"Go give this vial of trolls blood to Tom."

Thats it, it doesn't tell you where Tom is, or what Tom is, it just tells you to go give the blood to Tom. As it turns out, Tom is in the middle of the fucking jungle 3 continents away surrounded by angry ghosts, who will most likely kill you. And the only way you know about this, is if someone else happened to find Tom, and went to Allakhazams and posted an article about it.

Pages late, but that's not even considering the fact that just to find the questgiver in the first place you had to wander around towns, randomly talking to NPCs and guessing at keywords until you came up with a phrase that triggered the quest conversation (sometimes there were clues, oftentimes not).

Grundlestiltskin on
  • Options
    jackaljackal Fuck Yes. That is an orderly anal warehouse. Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

The real base problem is that there aren't enough players who are willing to play healers and tanks. About 60% of players can either tank or heal (more once DKs are added to equation), but they don't. Until 40 (or whenever you can afford dual spec) it is a big deal to quest as a tank or healer spec, so they stick with dps. By the time they get dual spec they may feel too behind the curve to catch up. You end up with a lot of 80s that could tank or heal that only dps which makes it hard on pure dps classes. I think the real solution would be to make dual spec free (or cheap as free) and available at level 15.

jackal on
  • Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    That wouldn't change the fact that tanking just takes effort that most people don't want to put in. It's not a bad idea, but it still wouldn't stop people from just not wanting to tank because they don't want to be responsible for holding agro every pull.

Hell, when I dps a heroic I'm like god damn, I can take a drink of water IRL without worrying about one of these pugs typing GOGOGO in all caps in the 2 seconds it takes? What a breeze. :P

Joshmvii on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited June 2010
    Cataclysm will include a raid boss with a poo-sifting mechanic, mark my words. It's the natural progression.

The boss swallows a couple of people from the raid and shits them out again, and the rest need to DPS down the poo to free them. Kind of like at Sindragosa.

Echo on
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Echo wrote: »
    Cataclysm will include a raid boss with a poo-sifting mechanic, mark my words. It's the natural progression.

The boss swallows a couple of people from the raid and shits them out again, and the rest need to DPS down the poo to free them. Kind of like at Sindragosa.

Kirby raid almost confirmed.

Naphtali on
    Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    RedDawnRedDawn Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I've been leveling my mage, got her to 30 over the weekend. It is good and bad not being able to tank or heal. I love not feeling the nee to switch roles if a tank or healer drops to move the queue along.

The long queues do suck though, and I find myself wanting to be able to heal or tank at times. I'm having some big time mana issues in 5 mans though. I can cast frost bolt all day long, but when it comes to any type of aoe I run out of mana really quickly. I'm ok with it, considering I do a crap ton of damage when I freeze everyone and blizzard.

RedDawn on
  • Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Naphtali wrote: »

Actually I was thinking we now know what the Old God boss this expansion will have instead of mouths (Yogg) or eyes (C'thun).

Nobody on
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    EWom wrote: »
    EverQuest was the worst of them all though, here's an example quest from everquest.

"Go give this vial of trolls blood to Tom."

Thats it, it doesn't tell you where Tom is, or what Tom is, it just tells you to go give the blood to Tom. As it turns out, Tom is in the middle of the fucking jungle 3 continents away surrounded by angry ghosts, who will most likely kill you. And the only way you know about this, is if someone else happened to find Tom, and went to Allakhazams and posted an article about it.

Pages late, but that's not even considering the fact that just to find the questgiver in the first place you had to wander around towns, randomly talking to NPCs and guessing at keywords until you came up with a phrase that triggered the quest conversation (sometimes there were clues, oftentimes not).

WoW has some questlines with barely if any direction as well. For an example, the whole shard collection questline in Arathi that ends up sending you to Badlands: it doesn't tell you where Badlands is nor where the quest guy is in Badlands itself. I don't think there's anywhere in the game really that tells you explicitly how to get to Badlands as a Horde.

Opty on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Nobody wrote: »

Actually I was thinking we now know what the Old God boss this expansion will have instead of mouths (Yogg) or eyes (C'thun).

D'rreha

Naphtali on
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

Ears. It'll tap into your Vent and any built-in microphones in your computer, and the more noise you make, the more damage you take.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    OhtsamOhtsam Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Bulbous Antennae
    By which I mean wangs.

Ohtsam on
  • Options
    ToldoToldo But actually, WeegianRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Actually, I've heard the Old God in Darkshore is
    Soggoth the Slitherer

Toldo on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    That wouldn't change the fact that tanking just takes effort that most people don't want to put in. It's not a bad idea, but it still wouldn't stop people from just not wanting to tank because they don't want to be responsible for holding agro every pull.

Hell, when I dps a heroic I'm like god damn, I can take a drink of water IRL without worrying about one of these pugs typing GOGOGO in all caps in the 2 seconds it takes? What a breeze. :P

Maybe the base problem is that there are two people who will generally wipe the raid if they mess up, and three people that could literally be jacking off and the group would still succeed. They shouldn't make tanking and healing easier, but if they made dps harder then what would the idiots do (wipe the group, that's what)?

jackal on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I don't think the issue is that tanking or healing are harder than DPSing. Being a good DPSer takes just as much ability as a good tank or healer. People don't want to tank because you have to control the pace of a heroic run, and every single pull you have to be paying attention and tabbing around and doing shit to make sure you have agro on everything. It's not harder, it's just more work. Even healing doesn't have this. In heroics, for the most part, healing is very laid back and you hit less buttons than anybody.

There really isn't anything they can do to make tanking more appealing for people who just plain don't want to be the guy responsible for making sure he has agro all the time. Some people thrive on it, some people want nothing to do with it.

Joshmvii on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I don't think the issue is that tanking or healing are harder than DPSing. Being a good DPSer takes just as much ability as a good tank or healer. People don't want to tank because you have to control the pace of a heroic run, and every single pull you have to be paying attention and tabbing around and doing shit to make sure you have agro on everything. It's not harder, it's just more work. Even healing doesn't have this. In heroics, for the most part, healing is very laid back and you hit less buttons than anybody.

There really isn't anything they can do to make tanking more appealing for people who just plain don't want to be the guy responsible for making sure he has agro all the time. Some people thrive on it, some people want nothing to do with it.

Good point. Healing and tanking aren't really harder, but if I mess up while playing dps the boss fight takes a few extra seconds. If I mess up on my healer the tank may die, and if the tank messes up I could die. Maybe there should be more fights like Bronjahm where dps really have to be on their toes in the same way that tanks and healers always are.

jackal on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Yeah, in heroics DPS are basically just passengers along for the ride. In raids DPS are of course equally important because when they make mistakes and get killed the raid wipes because you hit the berserk timer, but in terms of heroics you can pretty much go on cruise control as a DPS. If I didn't glance at recount for curiosity, I might not notice if a DPS was AFK for the entirety of a heroic.

Joshmvii on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

Also the problems dealing with the silly goose DPSers that just pick their targets at random with no rhyme or reason every pull and attack every target put the tank's, then when they pull aggro mouth "Wtf nub tank". Last H FoS run I had on my blood DK had a DPS DK without subversion and he would basically pull a mob off me every pull for a few seconds before I could get it back. Halfway through I just let him eat them and let the healer (who was his guildy) deal with it. He at least was too worried about meter e-wank then about aggro and bellyaching.

Naphtali on
  • Options
    BuddiesBuddies Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

And I think even more people only want BIG DAMAGE to pop up on their screen. Noone gives two shits about Damage Taken and Healing done*. A lot of people start playing healers because they kind of have to. That situation where you are playing with friends and noone is playing a healer class till someone mans up and does it. That's how I started playing a healer back in DAoC, and have since then with Shaman at release, Druid up through Vanilla Naxx and into BC and now a Priest in WotLK into Cata.

*I know there are some people that do, but they are an insignificant minority. Same in BGs, you can't win shit if you don't have a healer and the other team does but yet noone pays attention to that because your K: D ratio sucks. Gotta get that Wrecking Ball Achievement! This is not a mentality that will ever change.

Buddies on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

Actually if I don't tab around as DPS I will draw aggro from the tank, no questions asked.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Buddies wrote: »

And I think even more people only want BIG DAMAGE to pop up on their screen. Noone gives two shits about Damage Taken and Healing done*. A lot of people start playing healers because they kind of have to. That situation where you are playing with friends and noone is playing a healer class till someone mans up and does it. That's how I started playing a healer back in DAoC, and have since then with Shaman at release, Druid up through Vanilla Naxx and into BC and now a Priest in WotLK into Cata.

*I know there are some people that do, but they are an insignificant minority. Same in BGs, you can't win shit if you don't have a healer and the other team does but yet noone pays attention to that because your K: D ratio sucks. Gotta get that Wrecking Ball Achievement! This is not a mentality that will ever change.

This is really true. I love tanking so much, but I got my start this way. Me, my wife and 3 friends started up WoW and said alright, we're going to do dungeons like mad while we level, so who is going to tank and heal? My wife wanted to heal, and I volunteered to tank since I like Paladins and Warriors and plate fighter archetypes. Then I just grew into loving it, but you're right that most people who just start up a game like WoW want to be the guy who kills shit, not the guy who protects the guy who kills shit.

Addendum: Being a person who likes to be in control and lead others is a personality trait that works well for people to play tanks. That's my personality and I naturally just end up MTing, Raid leading, etc. Some people don't want that and so tanking is not a natural role for them.

Joshmvii on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

Addendum: Being a person who likes to be in control and lead others is a personality trait that works well for people to play tanks. That's my personality and I naturally just end up MTing, Raid leading, etc. Some people don't want that and so tanking is not a natural role for them.

It's also nice to be able to set your own pace in instance runs. Nothing irks me more when I'm healing than the tank who just runs ahead with zero regard for where I'm at, and then yelling about it afterwards when things head south.

Grundlestiltskin on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited June 2010
    Got 4/8 Shadowcraft now, converted the bracers to Darkmantle.

Echo on
  • Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

Actually if I don't tab around as DPS I will draw aggro from the tank, no questions asked.

Same for me, usually. It becomes pretty obvious on the boss fights, where I don't have the option to tab around, and have to sit around and wait.

But what can you expect out of a pug tank in a 5man, I guess.

Edit: Of course, not as much of a problem with a good tank or a good rogue/hunter.

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So glad I got tricks and vanish :D

Tooltip on Tricks of the Trade should read "cast this on bad tank for great success"

Smrtnik on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010

That's just bad/undergeared tanks, or maybe a Warrior who is tab targeting. I think I saw you mention you're a Ret Paladin in another post, right? Unless you put up Righteous Fury you wouldn't pull anything off my Paladin, period. Now on my Warrior, if the packs are getting AoEed down and I'm having to tab revenge/shield slam/cleave then you might end up with something on you, but let's be real, with 2pc T10 and seal of command Ret Paladins are AoE machines on small groups, so there's nothing to be done about that.

I'm not sure what your point was. That DPS have to make sure not to pull agro? That's still not the same thing as having to actively try to keep agro on a pack like the tank does. And all I was saying is that is why many people don't want to tank, not disparaging DPSers or anything. I have the utmost respect for DPSers who master their classes.

Joshmvii on
  • Options
    MadpoetMadpoet Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

It's funny you should mention that... I have a screen shot of the new Old God right here:
    pink-floyd-the-wall-13201711-31-311.jpg

Madpoet on
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I try not to get pissed off at people in this game, but it's annoying as shit when someone advertises putting together an ICC25 run, then tells you that you're not gemmed "properly" and that your gear isn't good enough...only to find them, inspect and discover they are significantly less geared.

I really don't get this thing about gemming "properly", as I have yet to find a reliable answer to "what gems should I use" beyond "It depends on so many things that I can't answer you".

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Yeah, I'm not a fan of how gemming is handled. The prevailing 'wisdom' is to just stack one stat, except if you need to satisfy a meta-gem. That's boring. At least the warrior version is 'stack stamina except for a Nightmare Tear to satisfy the meta-gem, and if the socket bonus is +9/+12 stamina'.

My priest is a little all over the place, but that's because I think my gear alone kinda over-emphasizes haste over crit.

drhazard on
    SCB.jpg
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I try not to get pissed off at people in this game, but it's annoying as shit when someone advertises putting together an ICC25 run, then tells you that you're not gemmed "properly" and that your gear isn't good enough...only to find them, inspect and discover they are significantly less geared.

I really don't get this thing about gemming "properly", as I have yet to find a reliable answer to "what gems should I use" beyond "It depends on so many things that I can't answer you".

That's almost as annoying as level 60's organizing an MC run but requiring you to be level 80 to join.

Tomanta on
  • Options
    IvanIssacsIvanIssacs Skull Leader SDF-1Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I've been denied from VOA25 because "gemming for haste as a resto shaman is a terrible idea and you're a baddie".

IvanIssacs on
This discussion has been closed.