As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WoW] [Chat]tlenet 2.0

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited June 2010
    Henroid wrote: »
    Echo wrote: »
    ominous thunder in the distance

Practicing for an in-game GM position, Echo?

I'm trying this newfangled "thinly veiled threats instead of hurling infractions like lightning bolts", but I don't think I'm a fan of it.

Echo on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    They came really close to putting in the authenticator with every copy of Lich King according to internal memos from late 08.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    ominous thunder in the distance

Practicing for an in-game GM position, Echo?

I'm trying this newfangled "thinly veiled threats instead of hurling infractions like lightning bolts", but I don't think I'm a fan of it.

I would've appreciated one of those instead of being struck with lightning myself. <_<

Henroid on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So uh, what exactly is the authenticator? A USB device that you have to enter an additional code into in order to log into the game?

Henroid on
  • Options
    grrarggrrarg Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Dac wrote: »
    the authenticators are mainly there to stop their tech support services from being choked to death with account restoration requests.

And how do you think that's working out for them?

grrarg on
  • Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    authenticator.jpg

You enter your account name and password into the normal fields. Then you hit the button on the authenticator, and enter the code it spits out into the additional authenticator field.

It takes a little getting used to, but I've been using it for years and I don't even notice it anymore.

And no, not a USB. It's got a battery inside that seems to have a very long life. It can easily fit on a keychair or, more likely, lay scattered on your desk. No plugs required.
    grrarg wrote: »
    Dac wrote: »
    the authenticators are mainly there to stop their tech support services from being choked to death with account restoration requests.

And how do you think that's working out for them?

Better than if they hadn't done it.

Dac on
    Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Wait what? The authenticator generates a random number, you enter that number, and can log in? How does the login server know what number was generated?

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Wait what? The authenticator generates a random number, you enter that number, and can log in? How does the login server know what number was generated?

When you register an authenticator with an account, you enter a designation number on the back of the authenticator.

I honestly have no idea how it works, but my guess would be that the designation number has something to do with the number that gets spit out.

All I know is, I used to have problems with hackers. Then I got the authenticator, and now I don't.

Dac on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

Basic crypto. The authenticator uses a seed number, plugs it into an algorithm based on the current time, which generates a number.

Blizzard knows which number it is seeded with and can generate the same number on their side.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

Basic crypto. The authenticator uses a seed number, plugs it into an algorithm based on the current time, which generates a number.

Blizzard knows which number it is seeded with and can generate the same number on their side.

Okay so now I know how that works.

P cool.

Dac on
  • Options
    ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I love how every authenticator comment turns into one guy shouting about how he knows all kinds of awesome, super easy ways to make your WoW account virutally unhackable and refuses to buy an authenticator because he has principles.

Well, I have principles, too. And a job, which pays me enough money to afford a stupid extra $6.50 so that when I get home at night from said job I don't get to experience the joy of logging in to find out all my shit is gone.

ironzerg on
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    ironzerg wrote: »
    I love how every authenticator comment turns into one guy shouting about how he knows all kinds of awesome, super easy ways to make your WoW account virutally unhackable and refuses to buy an authenticator because he has principles.

That's really not what I said.

What is it with you guys and strawmen?

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Is the authenticator a one-time buy or is it a monthly fee thing?

Henroid on
  • Options
    ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Is the authenticator a one-time buy or is it a monthly fee thing?

For the low, low one time price of $6.50, you can have the piece of mind knowing your WoW account is virtually unhackable.

ironzerg on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I'll be sure to pick one up when I'm about to get back into WoW. I hadn't got one already because I didn't understand it.

Henroid on
  • Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Unless you're someplace where your personal possessions are highly prone to thievery, with people rolling through your room at all hours of the day, picking up pens and candies and bottle caps and authenticators for black market purposes.

SabreMau on
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Or you can get an authenticator iPhone app for free.

Tomanta on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I have mine in my key ring.

Just in case I find myself lost in a barren wasteland and need to log on to check my auctions.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Tomanta I don't have an iPhone and probably won't have one for a long time. I bought my first regular cellphone just last year, which is out of commission because I've been unemployed and can't pay the bill.

I think the $6.50 option is better. :P

Henroid on
  • Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    And I picked out the cheapest phone I could get, with no monthly fee, just refillable minutes. It's got absolutely no internet cool things on it.

SabreMau on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I'm perfectly content with my cellphone being a phone. Like to call people with. <_<

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Ya'll are missing out!

(For the record, I us one of the $6.50 authenticators, and probably would have picked it up even if I did have an iPhone at the time).

Tomanta on
  • Options
    KagliciousKaglicious Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I love my shiny new authenticator after getting hacked from what I can only think was caused by that flash vulnerability :(

Only cost me 50p to have it on my n95

Kaglicious on
  • Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    My cell phone is only a phone. I have been considering getting a Droid though.

Kevin Crist on
    acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Welp one more friend lost their account today, making four in the past week. Guess I better order one of those fucking thingamajigs before I'm next.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    TOO LATE YOU ALREADY ARE!

DUN DUN DUNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    hahahha, Jesus Christ I just now looked at Koro's sig. D:

Henroid on
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Tee hee.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    That stupid authenticator is only cheap if you're blessed enough to live in the USA. I wanted one for a while, but I was NOT paying 20 bucks for it. Thankfully, my guild is filled with awesome people, so when I got hacked, one of them mailed me a spare they had, and it only cost like 4 bucks to ship to Canada. Vs the 12 bucks fucking Blizzard wanted.

And for the record, I used to be one of those people who would say "Well maybe if you scanned your computer and didn't click sketchy links, you wouldn't get hacked LOL". And then I got hacked. I would love to know what exactly it was, but I'll probably never know.

Of course, Jeepguy kind of has a point. Blizzard could be doing so much frigging more on their end to put a crimp on hacking. 2 basic plans right off the bat? Limited login attempts, and capitalization of passwords. Your password doesn't give a shit if your caps lock key is on, and you can type it in incorrectly a million times and it doesn't care. This is BASIC security, FFS. I would love it if there was some info on how many passwords were just brute forced open. My armchair idea on what Blizzard could do to slow hacking?

-Make passwords case sensitive (SERIOUSLY! Why isn't this already?!)
    -After say... 10 incorrect login attempts? Lock down the account, and send an e-mail to the account telling them it's locked, but all they have to do is go to the website, login, and click a link to unlock.

In theory, that should completely stop anybody from trying to pound the door open. It might be an inconvenience to have to go to the website and log in from there, but it should be an excellent first warning system that somebody is trying to brute force your password.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Almost no accounts hacked are brute-forced. Most are the result of keyloggers.

If hackers had to brute-force the majority of accounts, it would significantly cut into their bottom line, to the point where it might not even be worth it.

Dac on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Keyloggers wouldn't give a fuck for login attempts or case sensitivity. :P

Henroid on
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Thing is, do keyloggers routinely delete themselves after they've done their job? I'm just thinking of the people who find out they get hacked, do a scan, but find absolutely nothing, me included. If I had found a logger, fine I would have smacked myself on the head for being that careless. I'm just wondering at that point, what else could it be but brute force?

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Wait, passwords aren't even case sensitive? I've been hitting my shift key for certain letters all this time for nothing?

Son of a bitch.

(I get annoyed at the same thing for one of the programs I use at work. The only one that requires me to change my password every 30 days).

EDIT: There could very well be a delay - sometimes weeks - between your password getting stolen and getting used. I'm almost certain when my password was stolen was a couple of months before my account was hacked.

Tomanta on
  • Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Mine chills out inside my monitor stand. It's also where my phone sleeps.
    31084_646286405086_38500097_36035070_4764030_n.jpg
    Haha, same here.

Smrtnik on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Tomanta wrote: »
    Or you can get an authenticator iPhone app for free.

Android too iirc.

Smrtnik on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Tomanta wrote: »
    Wait, passwords aren't even case sensitive? I've been hitting my shift key for certain letters all this time for nothing?

Son of a bitch.

(I get annoyed at the same thing for one of the programs I use at work. The only one that requires me to change my password every 30 days).

EDIT: There could very well be a delay - sometimes weeks - between your password getting stolen and getting used. I'm almost certain when my password was stolen was a couple of months before my account was hacked.

This is very true, and it's a good reason to change your password regularly.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    Beyond NormalBeyond Normal Lord Phender Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    If you had an authenticator you wouldn't have to change it all the time.

Beyond Normal on
    Battle.net: Phender#1108 -- Steam: Phender -- PS4: Phender12 -- Origin: Phender01
  • Options
    JoeslopJoeslop Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I suggested that city leaders drop some PvP epics when killed. Then a guildie said there would be city raids every night(which isn't a bad thing, imo).

Bring the "war" back in Warcraft!

Unless they make every single non-guard unkillable and let people not be flagged in Capitals, even when coming from PvP zones, this would be a horrible idea.

Joeslop on
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The apathay would be bad
    O here they come again for the douchebag
    Meh let them hopefully they don't mess with the ah again

Brainleech on
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Smrtnik wrote: »
    Mine chills out inside my monitor stand. It's also where my phone sleeps.
    31084_646286405086_38500097_36035070_4764030_n.jpg
    Haha, same here.

I thought someone took a picture of my desk before I saw the little dude at the bottom. I think you and I have the same monitor and very similar desks.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
This discussion has been closed.