As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WoW] [Chat]tlenet 2.0

• Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Aeyther wrote: »
    I think the removal of guild talent points is a good thing. Now I've never lead a guild but I've been told it's very stressful. Now throw in a talent tree in which probably half the guild wants points put into "this" talent while the other half wants more points in another. I think it will make the whole guild progression thing a lot easier with the leveling system as long as they don't give a guild made of 100+ people who play 24/7 a quick way to get to max level within a week after Cataclysm's release as opposed to a guild of maybe 40 active players who aren't able to be online all day.

I'm sure they are still only making it so only a certain number of members can contribute per day (whoever does the most). So while a large guild does still have an advantage, it's not a big one.

Tomanta on
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Halfmex wrote: »
    The thing that bugs me about the guild talent tree revamp is this:
    The whole guild talents idea has been scrapped as well. Tom Chilton talked for a while about the issues they faced—Can only the guild leader pick the talents? Do you have respecs? Who pays for them? How do you make all the players feel involved? Do you min-max builds, so that all guilds feel the same?
    How do you not ask those questions before you announce the feature to millions of people at your yearly convention and make it a solid bullet point of your upcoming expansion? It just seems like a very ass-backwards approach. I'm not saying that I necessarily disagree with their ultimate approach, but it floors me that this company still announces features without having any of the groundwork already built (let's not even get started on the hairstyles or dance studio).

While I agree with you, I'm glad the addressed the issue even if it was late. With all due respect to the people I'm not naming, when we got customizable supergroup bases in CoH I was pretty excited. Then it turned out that out of all the people in the group, only one person got to play with the base editor, and he took suggestions from only a small handful of people, if even that.

I'm sure it was awesome for that one guy. And it was a total fucking waste for everyone else (except for the teleport pads and crafting tables).

Putting really awesome stuff into the game that only Guild Masters get to control is lame.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    The thing that bugs me about the guild talent tree revamp is this:
    The whole guild talents idea has been scrapped as well. Tom Chilton talked for a while about the issues they faced—Can only the guild leader pick the talents? Do you have respecs? Who pays for them? How do you make all the players feel involved? Do you min-max builds, so that all guilds feel the same?
    How do you not ask those questions before you announce the feature to millions of people at your yearly convention and make it a solid bullet point of your upcoming expansion? It just seems like a very ass-backwards approach. I'm not saying that I necessarily disagree with their ultimate approach, but it floors me that this company still announces features without having any of the groundwork already built (let's not even get started on the hairstyles or dance studio).

That's what bugs me about removing Path of the Titans. It makes me wonder what they spent all that development time on if half the stuff they announced has gotten cut because of simple and obvious problems with them.

Tomanta on
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    They spent development time trying to get around those obvious problems and get them to work. It's pretty obvious they knew about the issues going in but did so anyway because if they had pulled it off it would have been super-cool but since time's becoming an issue and it's becoming obvious to them that they won't be able to get it up to snuff for launch, they're cutting it.

Opty on
  • Options
    BloodshedBloodshed I smoke my friends Down to the FilterRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I was looking forward to Path of the Titans as a sort of alternative to typical leveling, but I thought something might be up once they completely stopped talking about it.

Bloodshed on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Wow, Blizzurd just whispered me in game telling me I'm in the beta! I just have to go to [almost convincing URL redacted]!

I'm actually surprised someone could use the name "Blizzurd" on Feathermoon. Almost as surprised as I would be if someone falls for it.

Tomanta on
  • Options
    Magic RadioMagic Radio Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Tomanta wrote: »
    Wow, Blizzurd just whispered me in game telling me I'm in the beta! I just have to go to [almost convincing URL redacted]!

I'm actually surprised someone could use the name "Blizzurd" on Feathermoon. Almost as surprised as I would be if someone falls for it.

Just as people still fall for contract scams in EvE, they still fall for this kind of nonsense as well I'm sure.

Magic Radio on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'm still waiting for my Diablo 2 Guild housing.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    Beyond NormalBeyond Normal Lord Phender Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    They wouldn't be doing it if it didn't work.

Beyond Normal on
    Battle.net: Phender#1108 -- Steam: Phender -- PS4: Phender12 -- Origin: Phender01
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Path of the Titans sounded lame anyways. Join a cult, worship some old gods (no, not those old gods, these older gods) get some...stuff.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    DroolDrool Science! AustinRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    How can people really complain about features being cut from an expansion when they never tried those features, and have no knowledge of how they made the game better or worse.

Blizzard is a company who dropped two entire games both well into development and announced with trailers and everything. If they feel like a feature isn't really good they will cut regardless of what the community thinks even if they already talked about it.

This is likely a very good thing. You might think Path of the Titans sounded awesome, but apparently it wasn't awesome. Rolling those changes into an existing system like glyphs, which is frankly a pretty half baked system as it is, sounds like a good idea to me.

Stop falling in love with bullet points when you have no idea how they actually effect the game.

Drool on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Wait did they cut PoT because it was sub-awesome or did they cut it because they were running against their deadline and it wasn't awesome because it wasn't finished?

I'm confused and I'm hearing both.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    ArkadyArkady Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    My main worry from path being cut is that was where all of our flat damage/tanking/healing talents were supposedly going. I am wondering if they will now be medium glyphs? Because the description for medium glyphs doesn't sound like passive damage boosts to me.

Arkady on
    untitled-1.jpg
    LoL: failboattootoot
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    No, all those numbers were going into tree mastery/going away.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Fuga wrote: »
    Man when they said that they're going to remove all the boring talents, I thought they meant it. But there's still plenty 'increases crit chance by x%' types left. Hope those get replaced too.

They're getting rid of all the crit+ talents that just raise crit across the board. But there's still going to be "Increase crit chance of Ability A, B, and C" talents. The theory is, said talents will make you tend to use those abilities more often, thus it's a more interesting talent than just one that gives a flat general crit increase.

When I heard it explained that way, it made a lot more sense. We'll see if it actually pans out that way though.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    They fiddled with it a lot, trying to get it to the point where it was balanced and fun for people, but at the end of the day, they realized that what they had really wasn't all that different in power from glyphs.

So because they were coming down to a deadline, and making PotT actually work like they had envisioned was going to take much, much longer than they thought, they decided to roll what they had currently into "medium glyphs."

Makes sense to me.

Dac on
    Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    ArkadyArkady Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    No, all those numbers were going into tree mastery/going away.

That was part of it, but i specifically remember them saying others would be part of the paths.

Arkady on
    untitled-1.jpg
    LoL: failboattootoot
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The only reason I am kind of glad Path of the Titans is gone is that it would have added another barrier to entry for raiding; it wouldn't take long at all for a maxed-out Path to be a baseline requirement to get into a raid.
    Fuga wrote: »
    Man when they said that they're going to remove all the boring talents, I thought they meant it. But there's still plenty 'increases crit chance by x%' types left. Hope those get replaced too.

They're getting rid of all the crit+ talents that just raise crit across the board. But there's still going to be "Increase crit chance of Ability A, B, and C" talents. The theory is, said talents will make you tend to use those abilities more often, thus it's a more interesting talent than just one that gives a flat general crit increase.

When I heard it explained that way, it made a lot more sense. We'll see if it actually pans out that way though.
    No it doesn't make more sense, because it's horseshit spin. Guess what? A blanket +5% talent's going to make me use the skills I want/need to use just as much as +5% crit to two or three skills. The only way it would really incentivize using other skills is if it were some nutso +30% crit to an ability like with some Rogue talents. But by and large it's generally still just 1/2/3/4/5% or 2/3/5% or something crit.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Drool wrote: »
    How can people really complain about features being cut from an expansion when they never tried those features, and have no knowledge of how they made the game better or worse.

Blizzard is a company who dropped two entire games both well into development and announced with trailers and everything. If they feel like a feature isn't really good they will cut regardless of what the community thinks even if they already talked about it.

This is likely a very good thing. You might think Path of the Titans sounded awesome, but apparently it wasn't awesome. Rolling those changes into an existing system like glyphs, which is frankly a pretty half baked system as it is, sounds like a good idea to me.

Stop falling in love with bullet points when you have no idea how they actually effect the game.
    People get excited about things when they hear something they like. Said people are bummed when said things are unceremoniously dropped. Like I said, I was looking forward to having more endgame advancement that didn't just amount to "get more replaceable gear". GC's official response is that "we like the idea of endgame character advancement and maybe we'll put it (PotT) in later if we can make it cool", but it doesn't really do much to quell the disappointment.

Sure, maybe it would've sucked. Maybe it wouldn't have. It's not like it would have been the first time they implemented something half-baked. Inscription sucks and they implemented that. Their in-game voice chat sucks, that went through. Fishing? Sucks. Hard. Still there though. If they'd just replaced it with something better than "medium glyphs", people probably would be raging a bit less.
    jeepguy wrote: »
    Wait did they cut PoT because it was sub-awesome or did they cut it because they were running against their deadline and it wasn't awesome because it wasn't finished?

I'm confused and I'm hearing both.
    The former is their official response, though since Activision/Blizzard told their shareholders (as well as the fans) that Cat would be released in 2010, I wouldn't be at all surprised to find that the latter was more accurate.

Halfmex on
  • Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Honestly, while the path of the titans sounded cool, the 2nd thought I had about it after "Sounds cool" was "God damn it's going to be time consuming to do this on more than one 80." I like the game now without it, so I'll keep liking it without it. If Archaeology has the chance to give people cool cosmetic stuff like they said it may that'll keep me busy on my main as another secondary profession. A secondary should never be involved in serious char development, which was their idea for PotT originally.

Joshmvii on
  • Options
    HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Medium Glyph discussion from GC:
    Minor glyphs are fine in our opinion. They weren't intended to offer power and they are certainly much more flexible than major glyphs. Some classes need some better minor glyphs though (e.g. warlock).

Medium glyphs are the kind of glyph you'd take if you had more choices. For example, a Fury warrior these days in PvE probably takes Execution, Whirlwind and Heroic Strike. Why wouldn't you? You hit all of those buttons a lot. The glyph of Cleave isn't bad, but you just don't find yourself in situations where you would use it as much as Heroic Strike, so it just never competes. If it wasn't competing with Heroic Strike though, say it was in a different category, then it might be worth considering. Bloodthirst would be an excellent medium glyph, because it is useful but doesn't contribute to dps. Medium glyphs are good for situational abilities, cooldowns, defense and utility.

Now having said that, we are also taking a hard look at the major glyphs. Glyph of Sprint (movement speed) is a pretty interesting one. It is probably a dps increase given that it helps your time on target, but it's hard to put a number on that. It's very easy to put a number on Glyph of Eviscerate (crit chance). It's a math problem. That glyph is either going to be demonstrably better or worse than the other majors, leading to the cookie-cutter mentality. We already have plenty parts of the game where there really isn't a wrong choice to be made -- with enchants and meta-gems for example, there is typically a right or wrong answer given that we don't make several per spec. We do make several glyphs per spec, so we think they can be cooler. Customization was our original design for glyphs, and frankly we just didn't deliver on it. They feel like talents, and pretty simple talents at that.

The challenge for us is that ALL glyphs have to follow this model. If they don't for some classes, as happened in LK, then eventually the whole thing unravels. We have a much better feel for what makes an interesting gylph now. I'm not going to promise we're going to deliver on it this time around, because we weren't able to the first time. But it is a goal and we're going to spend a lot of time on it.
    Doesn't sound like they're any closer today than they were for WotLK, but I'll remain hopeful. We'll see what we get for glyphs once the beta hits.

Halfmex on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I'd be thrilled if Evocate and Blink made it to medium Glyphs. I was so sad the day I had to take out Blink for something that actually did tons and tons of damge.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Minor glyphs are fine in our opinion. They weren't intended to offer power and they are certainly much more flexible than major glyphs. Some classes need some better minor glyphs though (e.g. warlock).

Medium glyphs are the kind of glyph you'd take if you had more choices. For example, a Fury warrior these days in PvE probably takes Execution, Whirlwind and Heroic Strike. Why wouldn't you? You hit all of those buttons a lot. The glyph of Cleave isn't bad, but you just don't find yourself in situations where you would use it as much as Heroic Strike, so it just never competes. If it wasn't competing with Heroic Strike though, say it was in a different category, then it might be worth considering. Bloodthirst would be an excellent medium glyph, because it is useful but doesn't contribute to dps. Medium glyphs are good for situational abilities, cooldowns, defense and utility.

Now having said that, we are also taking a hard look at the major glyphs. Glyph of Sprint (movement speed) is a pretty interesting one. It is probably a dps increase given that it helps your time on target, but it's hard to put a number on that. It's very easy to put a number on Glyph of Eviscerate (crit chance). It's a math problem. That glyph is either going to be demonstrably better or worse than the other majors, leading to the cookie-cutter mentality. We already have plenty parts of the game where there really isn't a wrong choice to be made -- with enchants and meta-gems for example, there is typically a right or wrong answer given that we don't make several per spec. We do make several glyphs per spec, so we think they can be cooler. Customization was our original design for glyphs, and frankly we just didn't deliver on it. They feel like talents, and pretty simple talents at that.

The challenge for us is that ALL glyphs have to follow this model. If they don't for some classes, as happened in LK, then eventually the whole thing unravels. We have a much better feel for what makes an interesting gylph now. I'm not going to promise we're going to deliver on it this time around, because we weren't able to the first time. But it is a goal and we're going to spend a lot of time on it.
    Doesn't sound like they're any closer today than they were for WotLK, but I'll remain hopeful. We'll see what we get for glyphs once the beta hits.

Well a third tier of glyph certainly makes it easier for them to distribute them in a way that sees more of them being used.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    jeepguy wrote: »
    Well a third tier of glyph certainly makes it easier for them to distribute them in a way that sees more of them being used.
    Agreed. I'd like to see some real choices for glyphs, even if it's between "do more DPS this way" or "higher survivability that way". Some of the ones that exist today are just bizarrely situational. Glyph of Blurred Speed, run across water while Sprint is active. So 15 seconds of water walking every three minutes. Alrighty then.

Halfmex on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited June 2010
    Drool wrote: »

They were that company once. Now they're making an MMO and have several million players they need to keep placated with new content to keep their subscriptions, and are realizing they can't take their sweet time on stuff.

Echo on
  • Options
    Liquid GhostLiquid Ghost DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES, TOO?! Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    People get excited about things when they hear something they like. Said people are bummed when said things are unceremoniously dropped.

Uh. 'Unceremoniously'? I question your language.

They tried it. They tested it. They fiddled with it. They really wanted to get it to work, and I'm sure they put in a lot of effort into doing so. When they finally decided not to do it, they released that information, and explained why.

There was nothing dirty or underhanded about what Blizzard did. They've been pretty forthright as to their reasons for cutting the feature. It's not like they tried to sneak it under you and release Cat without telling anyone PotT had been removed.

I get that you're upset that something you were looking forward to won't be in the game, but you're misrepresenting the facts.

Dac on
  • Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    What is this Path of the Titans thing you guys keep talking about?

L Ron Howard on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Dac wrote: »
    People get excited about things when they hear something they like. Said people are bummed when said things are unceremoniously dropped.

They tried it. They tested it. They fiddled with it. They really wanted to get it to work, and I'm sure they put in a lot of effort into doing so. When they finally decided not to do it, they released that information, and explained why.

There was nothing dirty or underhanded about what Blizzard did. They've been pretty forthright as to their reasons for cutting the feature. It's not like they tried to sneak it under you and release Cat without telling anyone PotT had been removed.

I get that you're upset that something you were looking forward to won't be in the game, but you're misrepresenting the facts.
    Unceremoniously. As in, 'without the due formalities; abrupt'. I'm not saying they were holding clandestine meetings to determine how to properly disappoint gamers across the world. I'm saying that they went into Blizzcon 09 with PotT being one of the major bullet points of the expansion, go quiet about it for awhile and the next thing we hear about it is that it's been dropped. Now maybe I missed a whole bunch of press releases before today stating that their removal of the feature being a very real possibility, but I don't recall any.

Edit: and for the record, I'm not implying that they didn't do they're due diligence to try and make it work. That's not my position. I'm just saying that I'm disappointed that it was cut, and a bit perplexed as to why their replacement for it seems to appear somewhat lacking.

Halfmex on
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    What is this Path of the Titans thing you guys keep talking about?
    It was an alternative method to "gearing up" at level 85 where you'd need to level a new Secondary Skill--Archeology--and then use it to follow down a "Path of Titans," getting what amounted to non-class specific Glyphs such as "increase healing by 1%" or whatnot.

Opty on
  • Options
    dylmandylman Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    And by 4.2 it would have been another barrier to getting into PUG groups

"LFM skywall /w achi, GS and full titans or no reply".

Not going to miss it I'm afraid.

dylman on
  • Options
    pardzhpardzh Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I wanted to resub my account that I have not played in 6+ months this afternoon.

Evidently it has been permanently banned. :(

pardzh on
    gt: Bobby2Socks | steam: Billy Boot-Snatcher

You talk clean and bomb hospitals, so I speak with the foulest mouth possible
  • Options
    PoketpixiePoketpixie Siege Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Send them an email and find out why. Chances are it was prolly hijacked and you can get it restored.

Poketpixie on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

Unceremoniously. As in, 'without the due formalities; abrupt'. I'm not saying they were holding clandestine meetings to determine how to properly disappoint gamers across the world. I'm saying that they went into Blizzcon 09 with PotT being one of the major bullet points of the expansion, go quiet about it for awhile and the next thing we hear about it is that it's been dropped. Now maybe I missed a whole bunch of press releases before today stating that their removal of the feature being a very real possibility, but I don't recall any.

Edit: and for the record, I'm not implying that they didn't do they're due diligence to try and make it work. That's not my position. I'm just saying that I'm disappointed that it was cut, and a bit perplexed as to why their replacement for it seems to appear somewhat lacking.

So was it without due formalities and abrupt, or did they do their due diligence and tried to make it work?

If both, I assume the main thing you're upset about the fact that you weren't kept abreast with frequent updates about a closed beta.

Dac on
  • Options
    pardzhpardzh Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Poketpixie wrote: »
    Send them an email and find out why. Chances are it was prolly hijacked and you can get it restored.

Yeah, I did. Been through this before, and that was exactly what happened.

Can't for the life of me figure out how, as I'm generally quite careful on the interwebs, and changed my password to a series of random numbers and letters last time it happened. Meh.

pardzh on
    gt: Bobby2Socks | steam: Billy Boot-Snatcher

You talk clean and bomb hospitals, so I speak with the foulest mouth possible
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    So was it without due formalities and abrupt, or did they do their due diligence and tried to make it work?

If both, I assume the main thing you're upset about the fact that you weren't kept abreast with frequent updates about a closed beta.
    It's both. I'm sure they put effort into making it work, but they ended up dropping it which was disappointing. I have been keeping up with everything that's been released in the Alpha so far thanks to the nature of the internet, so yeah, this was pretty abrupt. This wasn't simply an "update", this was the removal of a key advertised feature of the upcoming expansion.

I'm not sure where your confusion is coming from here.

Halfmex on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

It's both. I'm sure they put effort into making it work, but they ended up dropping it which was disappointing. I have been keeping up with everything that's been released in the Alpha so far thanks to the nature of the internet, so yeah, this was pretty abrupt. This wasn't simply an "update", this was the removal of a key advertised feature of the upcoming expansion.

I'm not sure where your confusion is coming from here.

The fact that you called it unceremonious, when it clearly wasn't. Just because you weren't kept updated on everything that they were doing to make it work doesn't mean the process was quick or done without due diligence, or abrupt.

Blizzard explained this CLEARLY in the VERY SAME RELEASE THAT STATED THE CUT.

It was never unceremonious at any point in time - except in your imagination.

Dac on
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So are they going back to the WotLK alpha idea of 2 minor, 2 medium, and 2 major or do we get to keep our 3 minor and 3 major and gain additional slots for the medium glyphs?

Edit: They actually removed at least 3 bullet points in that post: Path of the Titans, Guild Titans, and Heroic Shadowfang/Deadmines (which thankfully were only delayed and not permanently removed).

Lars on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

Now it has me thinking this:

Minor = Class perky stuff.
    Medium = Situational stuff.
    Major = Stuff you rely on constantly.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Lars wrote: »
    So are they going back to the WotLK alpha idea of 2 minor, 2 medium, and 2 major or do we get to keep our 3 minor and 3 major and gain additional slots for the medium glyphs?

I'd assume that if they were going to cut the number of glyphs, they would say so.

Guess is it'll be 3 of each.

Dac on
This discussion has been closed.