As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Break out the mushroom tea and rip someone's heart out... it's [Adventure Time]!

WishpigWishpig Registered User regular
edited August 2010 in Debate and/or Discourse
Prepare to be mind fucked by cartoon network. One of the trippiest shows ever is about to uppercut you into lumpy space.

adventuretime702263g.jpg

"So, 'um wtf is this Wishpig???"

Summed up quickly, the show is about a human boy named Finn and his super-powered canine companion Jake.

As a small child, Finn took a shit on a leaf, fell backwards into his shit, and got stuck. No one helped him, so he vowed to spend his days helping those in need. He also slays evil. Thats his deal.

Jake is a talking dog, kind of like Brain from family guy, but cool. One day Jake rolled around in a pile of mud, that was magical or something, and he gained the super-power to stretch and grow.

Yes, both of those are their true back stories.

Try as I might, there is no way I could do this show justice through words. It's like explaining a mushroom trip to someone whose never done drugs of any kind. Well ok, not that extreme, but along the same lines. Rather, here are some videos...

MATHEMATICAL EYE CANDY!

This is a short that aired on nickelodion a long while back and started it all. Cartoon Network would pick up the rights and create the series. Obviously since this was only a fun little short, the series has evolved the concept. But watching this will give you an idea about what the show is all about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtyJi3lExo0

But this... THIS is what the current show is like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_ovHs7Of_0

Oddly catchy music time!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1AlCxMo6wk

WARNING: Picture below may cause spontaneous growth of facial hair and/or body hair.
622545-8-1261525714230.jpg

Image by Sharpwriter on deviantart.com
Wishpig on

• Options
    ReptarReptar Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    SHMOWZOW!

I wasn't even aware of this show until my nephews told me about it. I watched an episode and.. I can't really explain it. It's hilarious but also just plain bizarre. Can't wait for the next episode.

Reptar on
    Or are you waking up?
  • Options
    DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    This is just great.

Daxon on
  • Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The studio has a behind-the-scenes blog up for it. http://frederatorblogs.com/adventure_time/

The get away with a lot, but one of the stranger things is that in an act of "self-censorship" when Finn was naked in the wizard episode he was originally going to be covered with a beaver. Cartoon Network obviously nixed that idea, so instead they covered him with wood.
    So if you’ve watched the episode “Wizard” you know a large meteor blast at the cartoon’s end renders Finn, Jake, and a pair of old wizards naked as jaybirds. In an act of self-censorship, the design crew originally covered up the fellas’ privates with a couple of beavers (see above). This double entendre was way out of line, of course, and the network rightly put its foot down. Luckily, cooler creative heads prevailed, and the designers chastely gave the guys wood, instead (below).

Invisible on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Invisible wrote: »
    The studio has a behind-the-scenes blog up for it. http://frederatorblogs.com/adventure_time/

The get away with a lot, but one of the stranger things is that in an act of "self-censorship" when Finn was naked in the wizard episode he was originally going to be covered with a beaver. Cartoon Network obviously nixed that idea, so instead they covered him with wood.
    So if you’ve watched the episode “Wizard” you know a large meteor blast at the cartoon’s end renders Finn, Jake, and a pair of old wizards naked as jaybirds. In an act of self-censorship, the design crew originally covered up the fellas’ privates with a couple of beavers (see above). This double entendre was way out of line, of course, and the network rightly put its foot down. Luckily, cooler creative heads prevailed, and the designers chastely gave the guys wood, instead (below).

Lol, they really do get away with allot. There was this one scene where people/things just kept asking Finn for help. They flashed to a scene with a bunch of baby fish in a pool and one big dead fish swarming with flies outside the pool, and in cute sad little voices the babies asked, "can you get the flies away from our mom."

Not as bad as the wood, but pretty fuckin dark and creepy for a kids show.

8/10 times this show could pass for something on Nick Jr.

2/10 times, this show could pass for something on Adult Swim.

Wishpig on
    WARNING: Picture below may cause spontaneous growth of facial hair and/or body hair.

• Options
    ElitistbElitistb Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Did Cartoon Network just decide to browse through Newgrounds or something?

Elitistb on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Elitistb wrote: »
    Did Cartoon Network just decide to browse through Newgrounds or something?

Well since it started off as a goofy short (maybe even done in flash), it's no surprise it feels this way.

Although I know you don't seriously mean this... but just to throw it in there... Cartoon Network decided to browse through Nickelodeon to get this.

Nick doesn''t know what they passed up. I see this show becoming a real cult hit, like Invader Zim.

Lets just hope T-shirts of it don't start showing up at hot topic though.

Wishpig on

• Options
    edited June 2010
    Where do I find episodes of this to watch?

I need to watch this.

Daxon on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So when is this on DVD because seriously.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    OmeksOmeks Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    It's kinda funny what this show gets away with. Particularly:

Lumpy Space Princess: I'm trying to help them, Dad, so don't lumping yell at me!!
    Lumpy Space Mom: WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY!?
    Lumpy Space Princess: I SAID LUMP OFF MOM!!

This is probably my favorite episode, by the way. LSP is hilarious.

Omeks on
    Online Info (Click Spoiler for More):
    |Xbox Live Tag: Omeks
    |PSN Tag: Omeks_R7
    |Rock Band: Profile|DLC Collection
    Omeks.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Daxon wrote: »

I need to watch this.

You can catch a few episodes here...

http://www.watchadventuretime.com/

Theres a little trick to it though. When you click on an episode to watch, it will ask you to take a poll, quiz, ect before you can watch it.

There is an easy work-around to this since it's megavideo.

1. Click the episode you want to play.
    2. Wait till the page fully loads and the quiz/poll/ect is visible.
    3. refresh the page
    4. Quickly click anywhere in the video directly surrounding the big red play button before the poll pop-up, um, pops up.
    5. It will take you strait to the mega video link where you can watch the show without being forced to fill out those risky questionnaires.

If it sounds complex, don't worry it's not, and it takes about 5 seconds to do.

Wishpig on

• Options
    edited June 2010
    Hey, guys, you ever wonder what a demon's heart looks like?

Reptar on
    Or are you waking up?
  • Options
    QinguQingu Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    This shit is AMAZING

Qingu on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Qingu wrote: »
    This shit is AMAZING

Lol, I was expecting to get mocked after linking a cartoon network, non adult swim show on these forums. I'm very glad to see the opposite.

Wishpig on

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    My favorite so far is probably the candy zombie one.

Couscous on
  • Options
    OmeksOmeks Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Wishpig wrote: »
    This shit is AMAZING

Lol, I was expecting to get mocked after linking a cartoon network, non adult swim show on these forums. I'm very glad to see the opposite.

These forums also have a Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack thread.

Going further, there is currently a Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers thread on page one.

We are all big sweaty man-children here in these forums.

Omeks on
    Online Info (Click Spoiler for More):
    |Xbox Live Tag: Omeks
    |PSN Tag: Omeks_R7
    |Rock Band: Profile|DLC Collection
    Omeks.png
  • Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2010
    The last time I was at the laundromat this was on the television. It was pretty fucking rad.

_J_ on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    This shit is AMAZING

This reminds me of my childhood.

My childhood watching the Neverending Story and playing Zelda. And I had a magic dog!

Qingu on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

I need to watch this.

Theres a little trick to it though. When you click on an episode to watch, it will ask you to take a poll, quiz, ect before you can watch it.

3. refresh the page
    4. Quickly click anywhere in the video directly surrounding the big red play button before the poll pop-up, um, pops up.
    5. It will take you strait to the mega video link where you can watch the show without being forced to fill out those risky questionnaires.

Man I cannot get this shit to work.

And I almost fell for that fucking YOU JUST RECEIVED 50 DOLLARS WORTH OF FREE KENTUCKY FRIED CHICKEN shit.

Qingu on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I need to be pollinated. Pollinated all over to make my babies!

Daxon on
  • Options
    pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    This is...amazing.

pyromaniac221 on
    psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • Options
    edited June 2010

I need to watch this.

3. refresh the page

Man I cannot get this shit to work.

And I almost fell for that fucking YOU JUST RECEIVED 50 DOLLARS WORTH OF FREE KENTUCKY FRIED CHICKEN shit.

I dunno what to tell you guy. Works like a charm every time for me. You just have to click the video (albeit not the big play button) to open up a direct megavideo link... and BAMN! Ready to rock. As long as you click it before you get the pop-up it should work.

But yeah, first time around I almost was tempted into the $50 gift card trap.
    I need to be pollinated. Pollinated all over to make my babies!

I think that was my fav episode... that part with the dead fish was seriously fucked up.

Wishpig on

• Options
    edited June 2010
    So, I assume most of you saw the newest episode, right? That thing with the balloons was.. odd, to say the least.

"Finally, we can die!"

Reptar on
    Or are you waking up?
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Reptar wrote: »
    So, I assume most of you saw the newest episode, right? That thing with the balloons was.. odd, to say the least.

"Finally, we can die!"

Haha, it was great. "Your blood oath has now been fulfilled!"

Daxon on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    FYI: It is said that the show is available on iTunes.

Qingu on
  • Options
    pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    TO THE MESOSPHERE

pyromaniac221 on
    psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Also.

I think the show's style is fairly derivative of Perry Bible Fellowship.

Is still awesome though.

Qingu on
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Also.

I think the show's style is fairly derivative of Perry Bible Fellowship.

Is still awesome though.

I like that a show on Cartoon Network is apparently derivative of the Perry Bible Fellowship.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I guess it's not that derivative of PBF. Mostly just the art style, and how everything has a "face." The humor is pretty out there, but in a different way.

Qingu on
  • Options
    ZellpherZellpher Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I enjoy this show too much. The cast and guests are pretty fantastic.

Zellpher on
  • Options
    spiderj24spiderj24 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    This is one of the best things currently on TV right now! Fantastic. There's more imagination in each episode than you'd expect in an entire run of some shows.

And I discovered it thanks to this thread.

Also, great music.

spiderj24 on
  • Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Lumpy Space Princess never ceases to amuse me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAAmJslV48g&feature=player_embedded

Invisible on
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I just saw "What is Life?" and, um, this show is weird.

NEPTR: "My throwing arm is weak, my pie-baking lamp is dark, and my treads can't roll, only skid. Does my suffering amuse you, creator?"

Finn: "Your blood oath has been fulfilled."
    Balloons: "Yay! To the mesosphere!"
    Single Balloon: "Finally we can die!"

And here's some things from "Ocean of Fear":
    finnscaredandscary.png

finnscaredandscary2.png

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    The Ricardo episode was kind of the best thing ever.

This is not even on adult swim, right? It is amazing how much creepiness this show gets away with.
    I'm going to cut out her heart, and MAKE OUT WITH IT!

I also love how Science gets worked into the show's fantasy. It's like classic pre-Tolkien fantasy where the wizards were also mad scientists and sometimes there were aliens and shit.

Qingu on
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Half of the reason I watch this show is because of John Dimaggio.

<3 John

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Lol... I guess the show is a post-apocalyptic show!

The bottom of the ocean is a destroyed city, ruined cars, buildings, ect. Really kinda creepy...

Wishpig on

• Options
    ZellpherZellpher Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    It is interesting how they incorporate that into almost every episode. It's also in the intro though so I may be imagining things.

Zellpher on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    This is the best friggin show. I'm jealous of modern kids.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    BiopticBioptic Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Lol... I guess the show is a post-apocalyptic show!

The bottom of the ocean is a destroyed city, ruined cars, buildings, ect. Really kinda creepy...

As the camera pans past the rooftops of some of the bombed-out buildings, you can see two skeletons slumped together on a couch, in front of a TV.

I'm definitely going to show this to any kids I might have, just to see the subtle psychological after-effects.

Any idea what kind of update schedule the show has? Seems fairly spotty given how few episodes have been rolled out so far.

Bioptic on
  • Options
    spiderj24spiderj24 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    They are going to release a radical, mathematical, utterly awesome boxset once a full series has aired right?

With all the music on CD as a bonus treat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttQ6e3lspxc

spiderj24 on
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Holy shit this is amazing!

All I've seen is the short in the OP, but if the rest of the show is up to that level of quality, I'm excited about watching it!

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png