Options

Magic Online - V.4 Client Public Beta looms before us

• Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    Winky wrote:
    Elbasunu wrote:
    That's a shame. Geistflame is sometimes exactly the card you need to stay alive. If you find yourself up against a deck with no werewolves, and nothing but large creatures, maybe you can sideboard it out.

But at the end of the day, that one damage can make a big difference in blocking and attacking.

Geistflame shut me down bad in my white/green humans/werewolves deck. Lots of humans getting picked off before they could accrue counters/preempting my ambush vipers/transforming back my werewolves.

Yeah, Geistflame is ridiculously awesome, both for strategic applications and because there are a million X/1's in the format.

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    I'm not quite sure what to make of Innistrad as a draft format. I played two 8-4's last night. First one I drafted a slow RG with some bomb critters like Daybreak Ranger and Charmbreaker Devils. I lost to the jankiest, craziest token deck you have ever seen. Four colors with multiple white token enhancing enchantments, Parallel Thingy and Gutter Grime green, and the blue Enchantment that lets you exile a creature from the graveyard to get a token of it back. Plus at least two Stitcher's Apprentice, miscellaneous white token makers, etc. The best part was that he was running Ghost Quarter to hit his own land for fixing. I rolled him the first game and assumed he was terrible given the colors and cards I saw (and given that he Snapcaster Maged for no benefit when there was the opportunity for flashback). Then I lost the second two as he was able to essentially get token making combos against me. Grasp of Phantasms was an absolute MVP for him one game. I have to hand it to him, it was a hell of a creative deck.

Second draft I started red off a Blasphemous Act and a Daybreak Ranger. Red dried up completely except for a Rolling Tremblor but decent green was flowing. Second pack I opened Bloodgift Demon, grabbed it and got passed great black. Third pack I had a two rare pack (neither foil) with Bloodline keeper. The black kept flowing and I had good spot removal and a Falkenath Noble. I went GB splash red for the two sweepers (which I never cast) and split in the finals. The other cards of note were the 2/4 spiders with morbid for two +1/+1 tokens. I maindecked two and sided in a third. That guy is decent without morbid and positively bonkers with it. There's very little that gets through him with counters on. Team Spider was instrumental in holding the ground until one of the bombs (including Flakenrath Noble - soooo good) would show up to take over.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    Losing to extremely janky decks that have no right to exist seems par for the course. It's weird.

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    metaghost wrote:
    Losing to extremely janky decks that have no right to exist seems par for the course. It's weird.

I feel like this is the sign of a healthy format.

Or, if not a healthy format, at least an exciting one.

Because I can do things like make a deck based off Bump in the Night and Curse of the Pierced Heart and do alright.

• Options
    FellhandFellhand Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    At least it's not as bad as Scars block where super lame poison decks come out of nowhere.

Fellhand on
  • Options
    Winky wrote:
    metaghost wrote:

I feel like this is the sign of a healthy format.

Or, if not a healthy format, at least an exciting one.

Because I can do things like make a deck based off Bump in the Night and Curse of the Pierced Heart and do alright.

I agree in theory, but it also has made drafting a bit of a headache, because people honestly seem to care less about signals than they did in Scars block, where it was possible to ignore signals to a degree because of all the colorless options. I think this is partly why GW Aggro is so strong, because all these other drafters are noodling around trying to draft gimmicky nonsense, only to get molested by Travel Preparations.

• Options
    peacekeeperpeacekeeper AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2011
    well im pretty new to magic but im liking innistrad

i see lor is nix tix atm and tried to look through the cards to get an idea of what they were like and maybe try it, except every second card has a small novel worth of rules on it so gave up on that idea for now :P

peacekeeper on
  • Options
    the champ is here! ;-) a win with blue black and a garruk

http://www.raredraft.com/watch?d=302gw

almost lost to a 11/12 avacyns masked grimgrin in rnd2 but he ran out of creatures to sac to him

• Options
    the champ is here! ;-) a win with blue black and a garruk

http://www.raredraft.com/watch?d=302gw

almost lost to a 11/12 avacyns masked grimgrin in rnd2 but he ran out of creatures to sac to him

First of all, congrats on another win, but I have no fucking clue what you were doing in pack one. Why did you abandon green after first-picking Garruk for a bunch of durdley crap?

You could have had the sickest U/G self-milling Splinterfright/Boneyard Wurm/Skaab deck, but instead you kept picking Walking Corpses, Fortress Crabs, and Rotting Fensnakes over legitimately good cards:

P1p4 - Splinterfright > Armored Skaab > Corpse Lunge > Walking Corpse

P1p5 - Avacyn's Pirlgrim > Grizzled Outcasts > Caravan Vigil > Spectral Flight

P1p6 - Darkthicket Wolf > Orchard Spirit > Fortress Crab

P1p7 - Grizzled Outcasts > Rotting Fensnake

P1p10 - Boneyard Wurm > Fortress Crab

P1p13 - CARAVAN VIGIL

It just doesn't make sense to first-pick a green uber-bomb then immediately move out of green for no apparent reason.

• Options
    Cynic JesterCynic Jester Registered User regular
    Yeah, green is surprisingly good in INN. I don't think green has been this powerful for ages. It is a legitimate color now, as opposed to just critters and fixing.

• Options
    BatmantisBatmantis Registered User regular
    18 lands. Keep 3 lander. Draw first land on turn 9. What are the odds?

My math says .74%

Play with me people!
    LOL: Batmantis
    MTGO: Batmantis88
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Aw yeah

First picking Travel Preparations erryday

• Options
    Lose to mana screw in round 2 of 8-4. Rage.
    Win 8-4 with the worst deck of the day. Break Even.

http://www.raredraft.com/watch?d=3040z

Play with me people!
  • Options
    Batmantis wrote:

Hahahahaha. I love it. It's almost like you were just picking random cards on tilt, then suddenly someone gifts you a couple Travel Preparations.

Deck still looked like poop, but Travel Prep + Manor Gargoyle? Sounds good to me.

• Options
    metaghost wrote:
    Batmantis wrote:

Hahahahaha. I love it. It's almost like you were just picking random cards on tilt, then suddenly someone gifts you a couple Travel Preparations.

Deck still looked like poop, but Travel Prep + Manor Gargoyle? Sounds good to me.

I ran decently, but I think the card quality in the draft was kinda low overall. Check out this board state from the final game of round 3.
    I7WHz.jpg

Play with me people!
  • Options
    @Batmatis - How... how did you win that game?

Flash in Bellwringer, chump something... then what? Did your opponent accidentally cast Blasphemous Act?

Anyway, I tried to play in the PTQ this morning, opened one of the worst pools of ISD I've ever seen (no removal, no bombs, just a couple of Travel Prep and some donkeys) and promptly dropped in the third round.

I then sold the Snapcaster I had cracked in that pool, along with a bunch of random Standard cards that had greatly appreciated in value (Thrun is worth 20 tix? Thank you, maam), and finished up a solid Burning Vengeance RUG deck for Block Constructed. Ran it in a Daily and 3-1'd, bringing my Constructed rating above 1600 for the first time since I've been playing Magic, and earning a solid 6 packs.

Block Constructed actually is an efficient way to "profit" on MTGO. Kinda neat. Definitely recommend it to any of you who feel comfortable with constructed decks and can take a little time to get some practice in before hitting the queues. I'll post my deck later, which probably costs ~120 tix, though things like 2x Garruk aren't integral and obviously contribute to that price tag.

• Options
    metaghost wrote:
    @Batmatis - How... how did you win that game?

Flash in Bellwringer, chump something... then what? Did your opponent accidentally cast Blasphemous Act?

My opponent cast Blasphemous Act on my fox to get in for exactly lethal. I played Bellringer to block one of the 2/3s and go to 2. Then I ripped 3 lands off the top in a row and just kept dropping creatures until we both had 7 creatures on the board. He suicided some guys in to get me to 1, but I had Creeping Renaissance and just kept dropping dudes. He rage quit with 16 life left (he was dead in 2 turns though).

I wouldn't mind profiting from constructed, but I can never play the decks I really want because control cards are so expensive. I'd love to see your decklist though.

Play with me people!
  • Options
    I'm guessing you meant to say your opponent cast Traitorous Blood on the fox, which clarifies things a bit. It didn't occur to me that your opponent lacked white mana, and thus the fox was yours, which should have also been apparent from the fox having trample.

My block list was:
    26 Lands

4 Hinterland Harbor (2.25 tix apiece)
    3 Sulfur Falls (3.15 tix apiece)
    1 Woodland Cemetery (2 tix)
    4 Shimmering Grotto
    1 Nephalia Drownyard (1 tix)
    7 Island
    6 Mountain

4 Creatures

4 Snapcaster Mage (12-14 tix apiece)

30 Spells

2 Blasphemous Act (1 tix apiece)
    1 Brimstone Volley
    4 Burning Vengeance
    4 Desperate Ravings
    2 Devil's Play (1 tix apiece)
    4 Dissipate
    2 Forbidden Alchemy
    1 Garruk Relentless (20 tix apiece)
    2 Geistflame
    1 Naturalize
    1 Rolling Temblor
    2 Silent Departure
    4 Think Twice

Cost of Maindeck = ~112 tix

Sideboard

2 Witchbane Orb
    2 Blasphemous Act
    2 Devil's Play
    2 Forbidden Alchemy
    1 Garruk Relentless
    3 Naturalize
    1 Rolling Temblor
    2 Sturmgeist

Cost of Sideboard = ~24 tix

• Options
    That deck looks nice. I want to see if the UG Graveyard deck can be made viable. None of the cards for it are very expensive. Mono-red is cheap too, but it looks like UR and GW are the best decks.

Play with me people!
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    What's the sideboarding strategy?

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Iolo wrote:
    What's the sideboarding strategy?

You bring in more sweepers vs. the various aggro decks, plus Naturalize vs. Intangible Virtue. The Sturmgeist were there to capitalize on decks that remove there removal once they realize you're almost creatureless, and the Orb is tech vs. the mirror and monored.

EDIT - Hopped in a late night daily with a slightly revised list, rearranging certain elements and taking out the Sturmgeist in favor of Charmbreaker Devils, who happen to be fucking sweet because you get to loop Dissipate like a champ. Lost round 1 to Monored w/Curse of Stalked Prey and Pierced Heart (wut?), but went 3-0 the rest of the way, beating another Monored deck, the Mirror, and a goofy R/W tokens brew.

metaghost on
  • Options
    is it harder to draft a lot of cheap white creatures in ISD or is it just always more popular?

• Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    White is very strong. Almost every creature is playable, and synergistic, so it gets heavily drafted. Also, white matches well to pretty much every other color in the set, even black for some nice morbid triggering guys like Selfless Cathar and Doomed Traveler.

Edit: Oh, it also has an insane amount of instants that matter (two of which are bomb removal) and a pacifism. Take a look at this article detailing what your facing in terms of instants. There's a reason white is at the top of this (non-graded) list. http://wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/li/164

Elbasunu on
    g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    ZeroCowZeroCow Registered User regular
    I'm amazed at how far out of their way people go to be rude in this game. Just won a match against someone who spent half the game calling me a moron and an idiot. Once I won, I asked him what that makes him?

PSN ID - Buckeye_Bert
    Magic Online - Bertro
  • Options
    ZeroCow wrote:
    I'm amazed at how far out of their way people go to be rude in this game. Just won a match against someone who spent half the game calling me a moron and an idiot. Once I won, I asked him what that makes him?

Yeah, it's pretty disgusting, but such is the way of anonymity in the modern age. Playing in these block constructed events has shown me a whole new world of degenerate players who can't cope with shit like getting their spells countered.

• Options
    Rare Draft seems to be down right now, but I'll put up my drafts later. Went 2-1 in two Swiss Drafts. The first one I felt I drafted pretty well and put together a solid deck. The second one was shit. I made a few bad picks and then I became flustered and it just went to hell. Luck and outplaying my opponents (including moron) led me to somehow eek out 2 wins.

PSN ID - Buckeye_Bert
    Magic Online - Bertro
  • Options
    i have a blatantly bs black deck ive just drafted, if i dont 3-0 this swiss it's me that screwed up big

will post it when im finished

• Options
    raredraft is still down

i went 2-1 :cry: win loss win

here is what i got anyway and the deck i chose
    1 Rebuke
    1 Abattoir Ghoul
    1 Curse of Death's Hold
    1 Slayer of the Wicked
    2 Selhoff Occultist
    1 Typhoid Rats
    1 Victim of Night
    1 Skirsdag High Priest
    1 Stromkirk Patrol
    1 Forbidden Alchemy
    1 Markov Patrician
    1 Walking Corpse
    2 Falkenrath Noble
    9 Swamp
    3 Dead Weight
    1 Moan of the Unhallowed
    4 Island
    1 Makeshift Mauler
    2 Unburial Rites
    1 Reaper from the Abyss
    4 Plains

Sideboard
    2 Tribute to Hunger
    1 Maw of the Mire
    1 Altar's Reap
    1 Butcher's Cleaver
    1 Village Cannibals
    1 Elite Inquisitor
    1 Typhoid Rats
    1 Corpse Lunge
    1 Manor Skeleton
    1 Intangible Virtue
    1 Stromkirk Patrol
    1 Ghoulraiser
    1 Markov Patrician
    1 Swamp
    1 Demonmail Hauberk
    1 Grasp of Phantoms
    1 Brain Weevil
    1 Vampire Interloper
    1 Bitterheart Witch
    1 Mountain
    1 Lost in the Mist

• Options
    1-2 Swiss
    I probably could have 3-0'ed it with an awesome G/r or w deck. I had a P1P1 Mayor that I passed on and cards just kept coming that would have made a sweet deck. However the other pick in that pack was a Snapcaster Mage. My draft was essentially free. :)

PSN ID - Buckeye_Bert
    Magic Online - Bertro
  • Options
    @peacekeeper - That's a nice deck, but I'm really confused as to how you A) ended up with a double splash and B) what you're doing with Grasp of Phantoms, Vampire Interloper, Bitterheart Witch, and much more in the sideboard. It really looks like you probably lost due to unnecessary greed, as you practically could have gone Monoblack with little risk, and at the very least just splash one color.

@ZeroCow - Nice job, rare-drafting!

• Options
    ShamusShamus Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    In the middle of a swiss draft, 2-0 so far. Mill is tearing my opponents up.

Edit: Lost to U/W fliers. Beefiest fliers in the draft, didn't see a single one of them when it came to my picks.

Shamus on
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Holy hell I just drafted a sweet B/R deck. First picked Olivia and went to town from there. 1-0 in swiss so far.

:edit: And 2-1, lost in the final to a very well tuned W/U deck.

ZeroCow on
    PSN ID - Buckeye_Bert
    Magic Online - Bertro
  • Options
    sometimes the randomness of this game really frustrates me!

• Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    Is there by any chance an event page that list all the events and tourneys of the day?

• Options
    Is there by any chance an event page that list all the events and tourneys of the day?

I believe there is one on Wizards website. I would find it for you, but I'm at work and their site is blocked for me.

PSN ID - Buckeye_Bert
    Magic Online - Bertro
  • Options
    ZeroCow wrote:

I believe there is one on Wizards website. I would find it for you, but I'm at work and their site is blocked for me.

http://www.wizards.com/magic/digital/magiconline.aspx?x=mtg/digital/magiconline/calendar

• Options
    edited November 2011
    i just played a super fun swiss draft, raredraft is down again though! i opened curse of stalked prey, got passed mayor of avabruck, then curse of deaths hold, then moldgraf monstrosity, ok ill play them all! then next pack a 2nd stalked prey, and 3rd pack a 2nd moldgraf, i love those things. i played them all in a green/black deck, with a touch of red. I didn't realise bitterheart witch was so good i thought she just fetched the curses but she also puts them onto the board!

anyway i won the draft finally another win! here is what i had
    1 Typhoid Rats
    1 Dead Weight
    1 Darkthicket Wolf
    1 Prey Upon
    1 Ranger's Guile
    1 Markov Patrician
    2 Moldgraf Monstrosity
    1 Festerhide Boar
    1 Blazing Torch
    1 Vampire Interloper
    1 Bitterheart Witch
    1 Spidery Grasp
    1 Villagers of Estwald
    1 Screeching Bat
    1 Abattoir Ghoul
    1 Ghoulcaller's Chant
    1 Curse of Death's Hold
    1 Avacyn's Pilgrim
    1 Mayor of Avabruck
    1 Grizzled Outcasts
    2 Curse of Stalked Prey
    1 Caravan Vigil
    9 Forest
    6 Swamp
    1 Mountain

Sideboard
    1 One-Eyed Scarecrow
    1 Skeletal Grimace
    1 Manor Skeleton
    1 Nightbird's Clutches
    1 Night Revelers
    1 Swamp
    1 Swamp
    1 Ranger's Guile
    1 Doomed Traveler
    1 Moonmist
    1 Mountain
    1 Corpse Lunge
    2 Mulch
    1 Pitchburn Devils
    1 Bump in the Night
    1 Harvest Pyre
    1 Cobbled Wings
    1 Curse of the Bloody Tome
    1 Thraben Purebloods
    1 Stitcher's Apprentice

peacekeeper on
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    metaghost wrote:
    ZeroCow wrote:

http://www.wizards.com/magic/digital/magiconline.aspx?x=mtg/digital/magiconline/calendar

perfect

also, I reactivated my account

I will only draft black from now on and forever

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    wait, do I really have to use 16 event tickets for a sealed swiss standard? Like, $16, just to participate?

ah, nm, figured it out.

--
    okay, who wants to tell me how terrible my deck is? ;)
    Kyc3p.jpg

should have probably picked green over white, no?

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    wait, do I really have to use 16 event tickets for a sealed swiss standard? Like, $16, just to participate?

ah, nm, figured it out.

--
    okay, who wants to tell me how terrible my deck is? ;)
    Kyc3p.jpg

should have probably picked green over white, no?

Well, Alfred, while your deck isn't completely awful, you did apparently neglect to notice that you were participating in a 4-pack sealed event. I can't really fault you for that, considering 4-pack sealed didn't exist the last time you were online, but nonetheless, that's what you joined and thus you sorta screwed yourself over.

As you'll notice by the 40/30 fraction in your deckbuilder, the deck minimum in 4-pack sealed is 30 cards, thus you only need to play ~14 playables and ~16 lands.

In your deck as is, you have the following completely unplayable cards:

Cellar Door
    Skeletal Grimace

And the following Narrow Poop:

Bloodcrazed Neonate
    Spare from Evil

And a very hard to splash card:

Victim of Night

In short, I think you ideally would have just been Red/White.