Options

Magic Online - V.4 Client Public Beta looms before us

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Part of me is sad I have relatives in town and can't play. Another part is relieved I'm not going to lose again so soon to Invisible Sucker.

Did you sealed deck players see that Ben Stark interview from the GP over the weekend? Fascinating. He basically invalidates aggro as a strategy in sealed, which is blowing my mind a little.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    Iolo wrote:
    Part of me is sad I have relatives in town and can't play. Another part is relieved I'm not going to lose again so soon to Invisible Sucker.

Did you sealed deck players see that Ben Stark interview from the GP over the weekend? Fascinating. He basically invalidates aggro as a strategy in sealed, which is blowing my mind a little.

Is this interview on the mothership? Because I'd be really curious about that, considering the best decks in each of the PEs I participated in over the weekend were W/x or B/R aggro decks. Or at least they were significantly more aggressive than the majority of the field.

• Options
    edited October 2011
    metaghost wrote:
    Iolo wrote:

Is this interview on the mothership? Because I'd be really curious about that, considering the best decks in each of the PEs I participated in over the weekend were W/x or B/R aggro decks. Or at least they were significantly more aggressive than the majority of the field.

Yep. Sorry, hard to link from a phone. Day 1 of the GP I think.

EDIT: Here it is.

This is the gist of it, although he goes on to make a more detailed case:
    Ben Stark wrote:
    I don't think it matters that much what format you're playing – aggressive decks just aren't good enough to win consistently in Sealed. If you try to play an aggressive Sealed Deck, and your opponent kills one of your early creatures, it's so difficult for you to win. And since pretty much everyone has removal since you open 6 packs, I'd rather just play good cards.

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
  • Options
    Coming through yo' fucking block, with my first 8-4 INN Win: http://www.raredraft.com/watch?d=2zc9h

I did a pretty detailed write up over on the salvation boards that I'll link here: http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/showthread.php?t=367158

Was rather nerve-wracking.

• Options
    KaseiusKaseius Registered User regular
    I think I wanna try out a swiss Innistrad draft(?); it seems the best choice for someone wanting to try playing draft for the first time. Would any of you dudes like to play my cheap 2 ticket deck?

www.youtube.com/user/kaseius -- Let's Plays
  • Options
    Congrats, meta.

Kaseius, draft is the best and swiss is a good entry. Make sure your MTGO account has draft recording enabled. Then you can upload the draft to raredraft.com, link it here and we can provide feedback on picks. Like meta taking his EDH raredraft P2P1 over the perfectly solid Crossway Vampire (who then tables.)

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
  • Options
    Dropping LoadsDropping Loads Registered User regular
    Ben Stark wrote:
    I don't think it matters that much what format you're playing – aggressive decks just aren't good enough to win consistently in Sealed. If you try to play an aggressive Sealed Deck, and your opponent kills one of your early creatures, it's so difficult for you to win. And since pretty much everyone has removal since you open 6 packs, I'd rather just play good cards.

There's another rule of thumb about metagame deck choices that goes along with this. The idea is that, to win, you either want your deck to be just a little bit slower, or way, way faster than your opponent. If your deck plays 3/3s for 3 and mine plays 4/4s for 4, I'll stabilize before you can beat me, but if you're playing 2/2s for 1 or 2 and I'm playing 6/6s for 6, you'll win. Because most sealed decks end up being built as midrange decks + removal (as Ben Stark says), it isn't feasible to build a deck that is way faster than that.

Sceptre: Penny Arcade, where you get starcraft AND marriage advice.
    3clipse: The key to any successful marriage is a good mid-game transition.
  • Options
    eeSanGeeSanG I slice like a goddamn hammer. Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Forgot to turn on my draft recorder, but just took 1st in an ISD Swiss Draft.

Finals opponent had:
    Daybreak Ranger
    Falkenrath Mauraders
    Mikaeus, the Lunarch
    Geist-Honored Monk
    Runechanter's Pike
    T31Su.jpg

Traveler's Amulet was swapped with a Manor Skeleton before games started. Did not regret that decision at all. Lantern Spirit MVP.

Highlights:
    Turn 6 Army of the Damned with 2x Assistants
    Using an Assistant with no way to spend the mana and milling Army of the Damned with exactly 10 mana available

eeSanG on
    LFMGb.jpg
    Slice like a god damn hammer. LoL: Rafflesia / BNet: Talonflame#11979
  • Options
    KaseiusKaseius Registered User regular
    Well, I've learned not to draft anymore. I don't think I'll spend any more on MtGO either unless I can build a deck that I want to practice with for cheap.

www.youtube.com/user/kaseius -- Let's Plays
  • Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    Kaseius wrote:
    Well, I've learned not to draft anymore. I don't think I'll spend any more on MtGO either unless I can build a deck that I want to practice with for cheap.

::good natured side pat of consolation::

Welcome to MTGO. I haven't played in online months, but the crit failures forum is so not casual or really limited oriented.

All that said, drafting in MTGO is still a good draft engine.

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    Kaseius wrote:

Drafting is definitely not a thing to jump into without lots of preparation and format knowledge. There's a reason I put a warning in the OP, though I realize most folks probably don't see it.

Had a 2nd round knockout with this mediocre B/W build last night: http://www.raredraft.com/watch?d=2zc9u

At least I grabbed my fourth Snapcaster.

• Options
    metaghost wrote:
    Kaseius wrote:

Drafting is definitely not a thing to jump into without lots of preparation and format knowledge. There's a reason I put a warning in the OP, though I realize most folks probably don't see it.

Had a 2nd round knockout with this mediocre B/W build last night: http://www.raredraft.com/watch?d=2zc9u

Meta, what was up with that Pack 1 Pick 10 wings over rally? Am I rating rally too much or what, because it's been a bomb card for me every time so far.

• Options
    Elbasunu wrote:
    metaghost wrote:
    Kaseius wrote:

Meta, what was up with that Pack 1 Pick 10 wings over rally? Am I rating rally too much or what, because it's been a bomb card for me every time so far.

I probably would have like Rally in that deck, but I'd said Cobbled Wings is definitely the correct pick in a vacuum, as flying is so centralized in White and Blue that it can be really great to get your durdles into the air. And at that point in the draft, I wasn't really committed to anything. Signals were all kinds of fucked.

• Options
    Damn, it feels good to be a gangstaaaaaaaaaa: http://www.raredraft.com/watch?d=2zd2p

A more expansive recap: http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/showthread.php?t=367919

Brought it home, just for you Iolo.

• Options
    Ha, nice work meta.

For those of you playing the home game, Iolo needed it brought home because he played a sealed pool last night with a preposterous pool: Garruk Relentless, Bloodline Keeper, Sever the Bloodline, Elder Pump Your Guys, Mayor of Avathingy and a great curve of GB dudes with a few tricks.

Then either the system borked or (more likely) I did not actually submit my deck and had to play the first game of each match with a 140 card deck. I managed 2-2 for 3 packs plus selling the Garruk, so it certainly could have been worse. Too bad, though. It will be a long time before I see a pool that good again.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
  • Options
    RaernRaern Registered User regular
    Iolo wrote:
    Then either the system borked or (more likely) I did not actually submit my deck and had to play the first game of each match with a 140 card deck. I managed 2-2 for 3 packs plus selling the Garruk, so it certainly could have been worse. Too bad, though. It will be a long time before I see a pool that good again.

Oh so that's what happens. I played a guy once with a ridiculous deck like that, who then proceeded to beat me in games 2 and three. I thought he was just doing it for the challenge or to humiliate his opponents.

• Options
    At least your'll get reimbursed, right Iolo? Any time that has happened to me, I've gotten reimbursed by submitting a ticket explaining I had, in fact, clicked submit deck.

• Options
    Does anyone know a sealed deck generator that doesn't produce rampant duplicates? Magic Draft Sim is nice as hell, but I keep refreshing my sealed pools until I see something that doesn't look degenerate. (IF duplicate rares, or 3 of unc, or 3 duplicates of uncommons, I refresh)

• Options
    Elbasunu wrote:
    Does anyone know a sealed deck generator that doesn't produce rampant duplicates? Magic Draft Sim is nice as hell, but I keep refreshing my sealed pools until I see something that doesn't look degenerate. (IF duplicate rares, or 3 of unc, or 3 duplicates of uncommons, I refresh)

But those sorts of pools are actually pretty common in this format. Seems like the additional parallel print-run for DFCs made things a bit goofy in that regard.

• Options
    metaghost wrote:
    Elbasunu wrote:

But those sorts of pools are actually pretty common in this format. Seems like the additional parallel print-run for DFCs made things a bit goofy in that regard.

Hrm. I hadn't thought of that... Still, these seem really weird. I'll see if the 2012 pools are also off. Thanks meta.

• Options
    Elbasunu wrote:
    metaghost wrote:
    Elbasunu wrote:

Hrm. I hadn't thought of that... Still, these seem really weird. I'll see if the 2012 pools are also off. Thanks meta.

It's only an anecdotal statement of course, but I did open a pool with:

2x Creepy Doll
    2x Stensia Bloodhall
    3x Skirsdag Cultist
    3x Into the Maw of Hell
    2x Grasp of Phantoms

and other weird clumps. I don't remember 6 Scars Sealed ever looking that weird, and they've definitely been experimenting with collation, so whoooooo knows. Also, open 3+ Mythics in Sealed is also very common it seems.

• Options
    edited October 2011
    Yeah, I had three mythics in the nutty Garruk sealed pool: Garruk Relentless, Mirror-mad Phantom and the Grimoire that meta told me wasn't very good.

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    I'm currently in a sealed swiss, heading into the finals vs. Foil Liliana + Reaper of the Abyss U/B control.

So far, each of my opponents has made sure to angrily comment on how awkward my three-color manabase is before being defeated.

Hopefully this trend will continue, but I have my doubts.

EDIT: 4-0'd with panache, as I was able Rage Thrower lock my opponent's Reaper from the Abyss. Liliana was kinda enough to just chill on the sidelines.

metaghost on
  • Options
    Huzzah - nice job meta!

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
  • Options
    As a note, I did a little write up about the wacky pool I had to build from: http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/showthread.php?t=368802

There were 9 rares in that pool (1 foil, 2 DFC, 6 Regular). It was weird.

• Options
    peacekeeperpeacekeeper AustraliaRegistered User regular
    i hope i keep getting lilis (2 of), garruks, snapcasters, trafts etc in my drafts, i think ive played about 10 and even though i keep losing they pay for more drafts :)

• Options
    i hope i keep getting lilis (2 of), garruks, snapcasters, trafts etc in my drafts, i think ive played about 10 and even though i keep losing they pay for more drafts :)

:/

• Options
    well i have not been playing very long prerelease at a store near me for isd were my first games (i knew the basics from trying it years ago) but noone plays draft around here so mtgo is my only source for it

i have been watching channel fireball and scg vids though to get better :)

• Options
    ZeroCowZeroCow Registered User regular
    I just keep hoping that a decklist comes out that uses new Tezz. I want to sell some that I have, but at the current price I'm not going to let them go.

PSN ID - Buckeye_Bert
    Magic Online - Bertro
  • Options
    @peacekeeper - That face was because I was jealous at your implied cracking of multiple Lilianas and Garruks, not an evaluation of your playskill. I mysteriously have 6 Balefire Dragons and 3 Mikaeus, but 0 Liliana.

@ZeroCow - It's pretty weird that the U/B Tezz decks didn't survive the rotation, considering they really didn't use anything from Zendikar block that I can think of, so I wouldn't be surprised if the metagame shifts a little bit and Tezz 2.0 makes a return.

• Options
    there's not enough vampire stuff in innistrad, a few more helpful commons would've been good

• Options
    well just after i made that comment i joined a draft and got olivia first pack, falkenwrath marauders 2nd pack 8->

• Options
    well i went 1-2, had some close games, rnd2 game2 i lost got decked it went on for so long :P

• Options
    Peackeeper, go check out raredrafts.com! You can upload your MTGO drafts and make comments. (it also gives me something to look at while at work, so appease me)

• Options
    well i had my first swiss draft win a couple hours ago and shouldve figured out raredraft

http://www.raredraft.com/watch?d=307u7

• Options
    well i had my first swiss draft win a couple hours ago and shouldve figured out raredraft

http://www.raredraft.com/watch?d=307u7

Wow! Talk about sticking to your guns. I don't think I could have let those rakish heirs go past me...
    Glad it worked out, and thanks for sharing.

• Options
    @peacekeeper - Other than P1p2 - Forbidden Alchemy over Into the Maw of Hell and P1p3 - Think Twice over Geistflame, that draft looked really solid. I just don't see a good reason to immediately move away from red, when you see two good on-color options that also go well with Charmbreaker Devil. And unless you're playing blue AND black, there isn't much reason to value Forbidden Alchemy that high.

But congrats on the win!

• Options
    thanks

i just did a draft earlier, with blue red again and tried rakish heir and geistflame. rakish heir is pretty good, i had an olivia so i splashed a couple of swamps and had her swinging getting even more pumps from the heir. but the giestflame was terrible every game :(

• Options
    That's a shame. Geistflame is sometimes exactly the card you need to stay alive. If you find yourself up against a deck with no werewolves, and nothing but large creatures, maybe you can sideboard it out.

But at the end of the day, that one damage can make a big difference in blocking and attacking.

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Elbasunu wrote:
    That's a shame. Geistflame is sometimes exactly the card you need to stay alive. If you find yourself up against a deck with no werewolves, and nothing but large creatures, maybe you can sideboard it out.

But at the end of the day, that one damage can make a big difference in blocking and attacking.

Geistflame shut me down bad in my white/green humans/werewolves deck. Lots of humans getting picked off before they could accrue counters/preempting my ambush vipers/transforming back my werewolves.