As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Splunking in yonder Caveran - D&D

1565758596062»

• Options
    DE?ADDE?AD Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Yes, Pony, tell me what you think of my system.

DE?AD on
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Dubh wrote: »
    Did you see DE?AD's new system, Pony?

It's pretty great.

I like that it has

for lack of a better term

"elegance"

everything works the same way. there's like, 1 key rule you gotta learn on how things work, and then everything is just a situation that uses that 1 key rule.

this is also the thing I love about M&M/DCA

Pony on
  • Options
    FedoraFedora Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Man, i've been wanting to play something fantasy-ish for a little while now. This is a rare thing, I've started to loathe fantasy type situations over the past couple years.

But I dunno, something makes me want to play a dude with a bow that shoots dudes on horses. Or fight an evil baron and an empire.

Too bad I've got nobody to set up a game with. Maybe i'll just go play some mount and blade.

Fedora on
  • Options
    Agent VesagoAgent Vesago Half Iago. Half Fu Manchu. All Bastard. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    My roommate keeps trying to entice me to play.

What he doesn't realize is that it is not the setting or the system that stops me from playing.

It's his players.

Agent Vesago on
    Clowns.jpg
  • Options
    LexxyLexxy Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    How did I miss this thread?

Lexxy on
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    How did you miss half a dozen of them? :P

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I used to post solely in the AC~

e: Also, it doesn't have MSPA in the title.

Lexxy on
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    BAH, I say. BAH.

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    As7As7 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Lexxy, this is where we geek out about D&D.

Do you geek out about D&D? If so, enjoy.

I've been writing up a sort of session outline of possible events my players could run into. It's a fun exercise in a sort of non-linear script writing. Along with that, I created a Facebook group for my players where I'm putting game information and NPC backgrounds.

As7 on
    XBOX Live: Arsenic7
    Secret Satan
  • Options
    Fire TruckFire Truck I love my SELFRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    DE?AD wrote: »
    What you think I can't play a standard D&D game, motherfucker?

I'll play that shit right now!

I'll play a fuckin' dwarf warrior!

I don't give a fuck, bro, come at me!

It seems like a young, cocky, dwarf-bro warrior would be some interesting virgin territory, character-wise.

Preferring dwarven plate armor with adequate-to-excessive neck protection.
    Doing cask-stands.
    Being vaguely racist towards but still hitting on human chicks.

Fire Truck on
  • Options
    HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    hehe

cask stands

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Best character

We need more bros in D&D

Although I'd play an elf bro

Straightzi on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I'm still proud of the demon fraternity I threw into the last campaign I ran.

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I tend to try to avoid anachronism and bullshit in my games

I mean playing a private detective in Eberron is the closest I ever really got

Straightzi on
  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    being a private investigator in Eberron isn't a weird thing at all. No more then sky pirates robbing a lightning train.

Melding on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    To be fair, fraternities are exactly what I expect demons to group up in.

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    edited September 2010
    Melding wrote: »
    being a private investigator in Eberron isn't a weird thing at all. No more then sky pirates robbing a lightning train.

That was kinda my point

On a related note, I have also played a sky pirate

Straightzi on
  • Options
    Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy! Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Melding wrote: »

That was kinda my point

On a related note, I have also played a sky pirate

As have I. But I battled the Theran Empire over the skies of Barsaive. A noble T'skrang of good standing with the Throal Kingdom. I had a crew or Trolls by my side. Ah, those were the days, dueling from ship to ship over the Sea of Death.

Mostlyjoe13 on
    PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -TheNotoriusRNG
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2010
    I like the idea of a fighter's guild as basically a big fucking frat house

god I wanna write a city out... I've had the best idea for a redneck ranger for ages

who knows more about trapping animals, shooting shit and wandering around in the woods then hicks?

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2010
    oh shit

i just got paid

look out, rpg books

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Hey guys, sorry I haven't been around, but this course is kind of kicking my ass, and I haven't really had time to dedicate to a game. I'm hoping next week I will.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    As7 wrote: »

I've been writing up a sort of session outline of possible events my players could run into. It's a fun exercise in a sort of non-linear script writing. Along with that, I created a Facebook group for my players where I'm putting game information and NPC backgrounds.

You know what I DO.

My brother's running World's Largest and it's spectacular. I played it once before, but my party didn't stay together very long. Looks like this one's in it for the long haul, and I'm really looking forward to developing my character :>

Lexxy on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I've never gotten around to actually playing in a role playing focused game. The opportunity hasn't popped up.

Hence why I'm trying out DMing for the first time. Best way to get a fix is to take charge.

As7 on
    Secret Satan
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    The Gloss game is RP heavy.

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    edited October 2010
    Our game is VERY roleplay heavy. We get bonus XP if we roleplay a situation well. Our getting out of trouble in-game sometimes depends on our ability to interact and negotiate with NPCs.

Lexxy on
  • Options
    BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Lexxy wrote: »

You know what I DO.

My brother's running World's Largest and it's spectacular. I played it once before, but my party didn't stay together very long. Looks like this one's in it for the long haul, and I'm really looking forward to developing my character :>

Do what I did, and take the map to world's largest dungeon and have it laminated. Being able to use dry erase markers directly on the map is so good.

BYToady on
    Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I am considering selling my RPG books. I don't really have the time or the inclination to play any rules-heavy RPG lately, sadly.

Moriveth on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    BYToady wrote: »

You know what I DO.

Do what I did, and take the map to world's largest dungeon and have it laminated. Being able to use dry erase markers directly on the map is so good.

Our DM maps it for us as we go so we don't get to see what the rest of the zone looks like. We have him annotate it as necessary.

Lexxy on
  • Options
    Cosmic SombreroCosmic Sombrero Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm sorry if my constant badgering is bothering anyone, but I'm still very interested in running an online Unknown Armies game! There's a free preview of the book here, and if you can read that without having your interest piqued, you're a better person than I.

The Setting: This is an urban-fantasy/post-modern horror setting full of things like Plutomancers, who gain monetary-based magic powers by acquiring wealth, but lose it if they ever spend that wealth. If you're at all familiar with the works of Tim Powers you know the deal. If not, Peter Hindman aptly describes it as, "Quentin Tarrantino's Call of Cthulhu." You know the typical criminal underworld? Well imagine that, only the unsavory types now have the ability to do things like sculpt flesh to their will or make you blow your brains out literally with the power of money.

The System: I love this thing. Know how d% systems work? It's just like that. You roll d100 and compare that to a relevant skill or start, hoping to roll at or under.

Character generation is fast as Hell. Once you have an idea of what you're doing, I doubt it'd take more than twenty-five minutes from scratch. You have four stats: Body, Speed, Mind, and Soul. Under each of these stats goes a relevant skill. Along with these, you have what are called "Stimuli". These allow you to invoke a specific stimulus (either "Fear", "Noble", or "Rage") to allow for skill check modifiers that fit your character's personality. For example, you can lash out at something that provokes your character's anger stimulus, and if the roll fails you can re-roll once a game.

The sanity system in Unknown Armies is usually the one thing people take with them after a game. for good reason. You know how Call of Cthulhu has its measly little sanity rating? Unknown Armies has five sanity bars, each representing a different form of psychological damage. There's Violence, Unnatural, Helplessness, Isolation, and Self. Rather than whittling down an allotted amount of sanity, UA offers characters the chance to toughen themselves up to the madness around them, but not without consequence. Too many failed sanity checks and you turn into a high-strung mess, succeed too many checks and you become a calloused sociopath.

Here's the preview: http://www.atlas-games.com/pdf_storage/ua2_preview.pdf

Also, Six Ways to Stop a Fight Supremacy

six.jpg

Cosmic Sombrero on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    BYToady wrote: »

You know what I DO.

Our DM maps it for us as we go so we don't get to see what the rest of the zone looks like. We have him annotate it as necessary.

Yeah, I got a Chessex matt and am looking forward to using it more to draw out all the terrain. Since it's my first time DMing I've been doing a preset and changing it a lot to suit my needs and the first few encounters have been on predone maps. That'll start to change next session. I'm hoping drawing out the maps doesn't wind up taking me a tone of time.

As7 on
    Secret Satan
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    oh shit

i just got paid

look out, rpg books

I got triple paid yesterday for work and other other things

But I have bills

Still DEATH WATCH IS AWESOME

Brainleech on
  • Options
    Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy! Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Still DEATH WATCH IS AWESOME

Tell me more...

Mostlyjoe13 on
    PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -TheNotoriusRNG
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

My group started a WLD campaign, and it lasted, like, three sessions - then the DM had to stop because of some lame excuse.*

I was so disappointed, because I'd built an artificer with all kinds of ranks in all kinds of pertinent Craft skills - I was basically going to be the go-to guy to keep all our shit working. It was going to be pretty awesome.

But, oh well.

Okay, he had a kid. Fair enough. :D

Elvenshae on
This discussion has been closed.