Options

Bioware goes episodic?

Whiniest Man On EarthWhiniest Man On Earth Registered User regular
edited January 2007 in Games and Technology
The word from the site Computer and Videogames is that BioWare will be offering episodic content for all of its upcoming games. This includes Mass Effect, Dragon Age, and Jade Empire: Special Edition. CEO Ray Muzyka, in an interview with CVG, talks about this and many other elements of the coming year in PC gaming.

From the article: "The videogame market is very cyclical and PC and console gaming have an uneasy alliance - as new console systems are released, early adopter fans move over to check those games out and as PC systems reach and surpass console systems at the end of a console life cycle, a good number of those early adopter fans move back over to PC gaming. Console gaming is huge of course, especially when you add in hardware sales, but it's hard to quantify the enormous impact of online gaming on the overall PC market - retail sales just don't capture the revenues from the increasingly successful PC MMOs as well as digital distribution and episodic gaming (which are both gaining strength year after year)."

The bigger quote is this:
Ray Muzyka wrote:
"...we have big plans afoot at BioWare for post-release and episodic content for upcoming cool BioWare games like Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Jade Empire: Special Edition and other upcoming BioWare titles, both on console and PC."

Will Bioware be the developer that proves this works well? I think their NWN modules could've done much better had they been priced better, and I don't expect the new content to be any cheaper.

Discuss.

Whiniest Man On Earth on

• Options
    KiwistrikeKiwistrike Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    ew.

I cant remember the last good game bioware made, anyway.

Kiwistrike on
  • Options
    Kewop DecamKewop Decam Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Kiwistrike wrote:
    ew.

really...

Kewop Decam on
    pasigfa7.jpg
  • Options
    bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Kiwistrike wrote:
    ew.

The last two games they made were KOTOR and Jade Empire. KOTOR was excellent and JE was good.

bruin on
  • Options
    liquidloganliquidlogan Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Kiwistrike wrote:
    ew.

Kotor? Jade Empire? Neverwinter Nights? Everything they have ever fucking touched?

liquidlogan on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Jade empire blew.

And as for KotOR, well, bioware needs to realize that dungeons and dragons "gameplay" hasnt worked, ever.

Seriously come up with something that isnt absolutely asinine in every way, and maybe plays to the strengths of a machine which allows interactivity. Instead of, you know, desperately trying to copy a pen-and-paper scheme.

Kiwistrike on
  • Options
    DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    guys, he's being a fucking troll and set up flamebait in the first reply to the thread.... he's already caught 3 of you

just ignore him, call him a fucking tool, whatever, and move on. there's no point debating him

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Im actually absolutely serious but I didnt mean to derail the thread, sorry.

I guess it will interesting what episodic content has to offer for the RPG genre...

Kiwistrike on
  • Options
    DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    you're entitled to your opinion.. but you have to realise there's nothing good that can come of dumping all over the game the thread is about first reply in.

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    As long as they release a Diamond pack just like with NWN, I'll be purchasing a lot of Bioware games in a few years.

Turkey on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I thought the Sam and Max games were proof of the episodic concept.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    I think it works well for sam and max because they are low profile games. I mean, you are pleased when a sam and max episode comes out and you enjoy it for a few hours, but can you imagine if they did halo 3, or something of that caliber, like that, a few hours every couple of months?

People would riot.

So basically, yeah I think the sam and max games show that episodic content works well for exploiting niche markets, but not necessarily anything more.

Kiwistrike on
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Kiwistrike wrote:
    I think it works well for sam and max because they are low profile games. I mean, you are pleased when a sam and max episode comes out and you enjoy it for a few hours, but can you imagine if they did halo 3, or something of that caliber, like that, a few hours every couple of months?

People would riot.

So basically, yeah I think the sam and max games show that episodic content works well for exploiting niche markets, but not necessarily anything more.
    Or maybe it just fits certain types of games, niche or not. Phoenix Wright would work well as an episodic game. Adventure games in general, really.

Which I guess is a niche now anyway, but still.

Renzo on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I think all of Kiwistrike's comments in this thread can just be written off as/attributed to bad taste.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I want Mass Effect really, really bad.

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Huh?

I basically just said that episodic content is good, in very specific cases. Basically, its here and it has its uses, and thats good, but its not going to be some sort of "new standard," nor should it be.

Kiwistrike on
  • Options
    IShallRiseAgainIShallRiseAgain Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    uggggggghhhh, I hate the idea of episodes, but too many good games are coming out in episodes, so i guess I have to for at least some of them.

IShallRiseAgain on
    Alador239.png
  • Options
    CokomonCokomon Our butts are worth fighting for! Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I always thought that the way episodic games should work is to have the actual game be full or near full length, ie the Movie, with episodic content following afterward that are only a few hours, ie the accompanying TV show. Of course, this is what they are doing with Half-Life 2, and it seems to be working. For something like an RPG, episodic content would be a nice thing to have after beating the final boss. Now can use your powerful characters in new, more difficult adventures.

Besides, didn't Bioware already say something about downloadable planets for Mass Effect?

Cokomon on
    post.png
    Twitter: Cokomon | dA: Cokomon | Tumblr: Cokomon-art | XBL / NNID / Steam: Cokomon
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    uggggggghhhh, I hate the idea of episodes, but too many good games are coming out in episodes, so i guess I have to for at least some of them.
    well, you could either have it all in 2009, or half a third of it in 2007, and the rest in 08.

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    RoshinRoshin My backlog can be seen from space SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I'm all for episodic content if it means I wont have to wait 3-4 years for Bio to complete another game, so yeah, bring it on. TBH, I was more intrigued to see that they were working on a MMOG. I had no idea about that. :oops:
    ...is beavering away on PC RPG Dragon Age and is developing an MMOG that we can't wait to see fully unveiled.

Roshin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I've still yet to see anything that proves the episodic/micro transactions format to me.

Episode 1 wasn't worth it at all, I completely fail to see what people claim is so amazing about it, it's pretty much two extra levels for a price that is, comparatively, ridiculous. (Ep2 however seems well worth it with Portal and TM2)

And with Oblivion, love the game, yet not interested in a single one of the extras. But I am looking forward to the proper expansion pack.

When I buy a game I just want, you know, the whole game, so I can play as much or as little as I'd like.

I liked Hit the Road, I'd probably like the new one but I'm just not interested in paying for ~2 hours of playtime every 3 months or whenever they get it out.

I think perhaps adventure games could be the worst candidates for episodic content, depending on how you look at it. When a game is so heavily dependant on the plot, why do you want to be forced to take a break from it every 3-5 months? If I'm enjoying a plot I'd like to be sucked in until it's finished, a 3 month gap kind of ruins the pace of it.

[spoiler:7307cb8369]Also I think NWN is terrible[/spoiler:7307cb8369]

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Eight RooksEight Rooks Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Kiwistrike wrote:
    Huh?

I basically just said that episodic content is good, in very specific cases. Basically, its here and it has its uses, and thats good, but its not going to be some sort of "new standard," nor should it be.

You control the games industry, do you?

I mean, hey, I greatly dislike what I've seen of episodic content so far - Episode 1 was a lot of fun, but delayed; Episode 2 might as well be Half-Life 3 the time it's taking, SiN is a pointless franchise IMO (tits! Dystopia!) and bargain basement point-and-click adventures don't interest me. I know it's early days but these are some annoying teething troubles. Still, Valve seem fairly insistent it's the way forward, various indie developers appear to like its advantages and Bioware seem to be cautiously agreeing.

Eight Rooks on
    <AtlusParker> Sorry I'm playing Pokemon and vomiting at the same time so I'm not following the conversation in a linear fashion.

Read my book. (It has a robot in it.)
  • Options
    Zetetic ElenchZetetic Elench Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Cokomon wrote:
    Besides, didn't Bioware already say something about downloadable planets for Mass Effect?
    IGN wrote:
    In another interesting tack, Mass Effect is the first game in a trilogy, which, BioWare says, will cover the lifespan of the Xbox 360's five-plus year cycle. When you finish the first game, BioWare plans to upload content in between games in an episodic fashion, filling in the story between games. Thus, when the second big title arrives, fans who stick with the downloads will know exactly what's going on.

The Mass Effect FAQ answers a lot of questions.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Kiwistrike wrote:
    Huh?

Well, there are your comments about episodic content. But mostly I was referring to this:
    Kiwistrike wrote:
    ew.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I really don't like episodic content, despite how fantastical HL2 Ep 1 was, but it doesn't really matter here. The chances of Mass Effect leaving the 360 are, at this point, pretty well nil so I'll never get to play it, and nothing else looks terribly interesting.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    AzioAzio Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    What the fuck, now BioWare? I was hoping the Episodic Gaming fad died out with all the rest of the criminally retarded ideas of 2006. The only thing stupider than Gabe Newell's promise of a new Half-Life episode every 6 months was the slobbering nitwits who actually believed that Valve, a company with a consistent track record of lengthy delays and years-missed release targets, would deliver.

Azio on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Azio wrote:
    What the fuck, now BioWare? I was hoping the Episodic Gaming fad died out with all the rest of the criminally retarded ideas of 2006.
    It's more so we don't all go insane waiting for Mass Effect and can get a fill before we just decide not to buy it at all.

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    Whiniest Man On EarthWhiniest Man On Earth Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    See, the thing about episodic gaming is that the amount of content that you get for your dollar never quite matches up with retail game standards. If this were no longer the case, I'd feel much better about purchasing some.

Whiniest Man On Earth on
  • Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    The stuff will never go on sale, either. There isn't enough incentive to put it on sale because it isn't taking up valuable retail space that needs to be filled with new product.

Accualt on
  • Options
    BaronVonSnakPakBaronVonSnakPak Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    i really dislike the idea of episodic content.

the only time i think i would actually buy into it is like what theyre doing with mass effect, with the episodes filling in little things between the actual title releases.

i loved half-life 2, beat it, eagerly awaited for the next half-life, heard it was going to be episodic, and lost complete interest. pretty much for the exact reason thats been stated a couple times here, i dont want to pay $20 for 2 hours of gameplay every few months. give me a $50 game, not an $80 game in pieces.

BaronVonSnakPak on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    360 Gamertag: Baronskatenbass Steam: BaronVonSnakPak HgL: AnsonLuap
  • Options
    BeckBeck Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I could see Episodic content being really helpful to smaller development teams, but why is Bioware doing it?

I guess it could be interesting. I'd like to see how it effects their style of storytelling, and maybe not even just Bioware's, but the entire RPG genre's, which I feel have become stagnant over the years. Maybe this will mean side quests will be fleshed out more and feel more meaningful, better plot twists, and a more cinematic experience.

Heh, I came into this thread thinking "Ugh, another way to get more cash from me", but now I feel pretty good about the whole thing. It has a lot of potential.

Beck on
    Lucas's Franklin Badge reflected the lightning back!
  • Options
    StregoneStregone VA, USARegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I think episodic content is a good idea when it is above and beyond and already complete game. Devs need practice at seeing what works and what doesn't for that sort of thing so the more people trying to make it work the better IMO.

Stregone on
  • Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I really just see episodic content as a money grab.

We're already seeing content actually printed on game discs that you have to pay to recieve, and you know it's only going to get worse if/when this becomes mainstream.

I think it's the publishers wanting to charge more than $50 for a game but not being able to, so now there's an effort to put out small chunks for more money than the whole product would be on the shelf.

Until the level of episodic content Matches or Exceeds retail content, I'm not buying it.

Derrick on
    Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I actually really like episodic content just because the games come in a size I can actually finish in a week. Now currently the time between them is far far far too long, but I imagine if developers get used to it they can churn out a new episode every six months or so.

Rook on
  • Options
    DockenDocken Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    To be honest, considering the spiralling costs of game development these days, I can't really see how AAA titles will not have episodic content.

These developers have sunk a massive chunk of change and time into these games and I think when you look at the numbers it just makes a whole lot of sense to leverage existing technology for as long as possible as cheaply as possible to get the maximum rate of return. Episodic content does this nicely, as it requires minimum development time (engine/tools/knowledge in place) and already has a targetted demographic (existing owners) with a strong reason to purchase the product.

Docken on
  • Options
    ToadTheMushroomToadTheMushroom Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    In Mass Effect I can see it being new planets/systems to download.

With a few sidequests and a few new monsters/items etc.

That kind of stuff would be perfect.

ToadTheMushroom on
  • Options
    PredatorPredator __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2007
    I thought the Sam and Max games were proof of the episodic concept.

Its pretty much the only proof.
    HL2 Episode 2 is coming out a year and a half after Episode 1.
    SiN Episode 2 hasnt even been really talked about all that much.

Predator on
    1330my4.jpg
  • Options
    tulkastulkas Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Kiwistrike wrote:
    Jade empire blew.

And as for KotOR, well, bioware needs to realize that dungeons and dragons "gameplay" hasnt worked, ever.

Seriously come up with something that isnt absolutely asinine in every way, and maybe plays to the strengths of a machine which allows interactivity. Instead of, you know, desperately trying to copy a pen-and-paper scheme.
    Why?

Bioware has successfully created a combat system that is not only deep, but also intuitive. The gameplay can be as deep and complicated as you want it to be- however you decide to play, you'll find a really engrossing (and not to mention fun) gameplay experience. Are you bitter because you couldn't get past the first dungeon in BG: SoA or something, dude?

tulkas on
    tulkas
  • Options
    Dareth RamDareth Ram regular
    edited January 2007
    Rook wrote:
    I actually really like episodic content just because the games come in a size I can actually finish in a week. Now currently the time between them is far far far too long, but I imagine if developers get used to it they can churn out a new episode every six months or so.
    That's appealing to me. With a full time job, I have a hard time finding time for games anymore. Something episodic I can play in my lunch break and spare time, and actually make progress.

Dareth Ram on
  • Options
    ToadTheMushroomToadTheMushroom Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I didn't play KoToR for the combat. Or the levelling. Or the character design, which was an added bonus.

I played it for the fucking fantastic story.

ToadTheMushroom on
  • Options
    tulkastulkas Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I didn't play KoToR for the combat. Or the levelling. Or the character design, which was an added bonus.

I played it for the fucking fantastic story.
    The endings of both KotOR and KotOR2 notwithstanding :wink:

tulkas on
    tulkas