As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Driving, speed limits, and new tech

18910111214»

• Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2010
    bowen wrote: »
    I don't understand what could possibly be so important that it can't wait until they're either at their destination, or, they can't pull over and take the call really quick. Doctors aside.

Speaking anecdotally, as a self-employed individual, a good percentage of the calls I take are situations where either I take the call or lose the business.

Fair call I guess, but what did people do before mobile phones?

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The Cat wrote: »
    I don't understand what could possibly be so important that it can't wait until they're either at their destination, or, they can't pull over and take the call really quick. Doctors aside.

Speaking anecdotally, as a self-employed individual, a good percentage of the calls I take are situations where either I take the call or lose the business.

Fail and starve.

But probably there just wasn't the same expectation of constant contact.

Luckily as a non small business owner or doctor, I can let my calls go until I get to where I'm going.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    geckahngeckahn Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Getting a cab is also not an option in lots of places. Just another reason why having a .0 BAC limit would be really fucking stupid.

geckahn on
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2010
    uean wrote: »
    I can agree with that. Why the heck our law says that you have to have a 0% BAC while on your L or N license, and then that gets bumped up to .08% BAC once they get their real license... I never ever got that. Ever.

Scalfin I'm coming back to reply. You seem to be incredibly 'anti-vehicle' hippy between the lines in this thread... any reason for that or am I seeing something that's not there?

I tend to go full bore against stuff. Cars are an incredibly wasteful form of travel, and a lot of the enthusiasm seems to be about how to make one's car less practical. Personally, I like my cars to be bomb-proof, efficient, and tight-handled. Basically, my form of "souping up" would probably entail taking all the excess weight off a fit and throwing in a CVT. In addition, my high school physics teacher had a hard on for the wankle, so he'd always talk about how inefficient the internal combustion engine. There's also probably something in my age, as my generation generally doesn't give a crap about cars.

For racing, I tend to dislike how it's about the speed, but doesn't function as a competition between engineering teams and how it focuses on the people who don't do anything without standardizing the cars.

Edit: would you guys be happy if the switch turning off the limiter also lit the car up like a christmass tree?

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I have say that in Massachusetts, we have the most screwed up cell-phone/distracted-driving laws.

Apparently, according to my local gas station, you cannot talk on a cell phone while pumping gas but you can talk all you want while actually driving.

What the hell?

It's probably a good way to stop people from continuing the conversation on the road and a good way to catch people continuing conversations from the road. It was probably caused by a dumbass pouring gas on his leg, though.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    The Cat wrote: »

Fail and starve.

But probably there just wasn't the same expectation of constant contact.

Luckily as a non small business owner or doctor, I can let my calls go until I get to where I'm going.

The potential client would have to play telephone tag with everyone, so the driver wouldn't miss out on much.

Really, just think of the question as another form of "how did our soldiers get by before breach-loaders."

For my family, the copilot calls for directions a lot.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2010
    The reason behind the gas station thing is that you generate static electricity if you pull the phone out from your pocket or put it back in.

Same reasoning as not filling a container from the back of your truck, and staying outside of the car when you fuel up. Covering their ass.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Scalfin wrote: »
    uean wrote: »
    I can agree with that. Why the heck our law says that you have to have a 0% BAC while on your L or N license, and then that gets bumped up to .08% BAC once they get their real license... I never ever got that. Ever.

Scalfin I'm coming back to reply. You seem to be incredibly 'anti-vehicle' hippy between the lines in this thread... any reason for that or am I seeing something that's not there?

I tend to go full bore against stuff. Cars are an incredibly wasteful form of travel, and a lot of the enthusiasm seems to be about how to make one's car less practical. Personally, I like my cars to be bomb-proof, efficient, and tight-handled. Basically, my form of "souping up" would probably entail taking all the excess weight off a fit and throwing in a CVT. In addition, my high school physics teacher had a hard on for the wankle, so he'd always talk about how inefficient the internal combustion engine. There's also probably something in my age, as my generation generally doesn't give a crap about cars.

For racing, I tend to dislike how it's about the speed, but doesn't function as a competition between engineering teams and how it focuses on the people who don't do anything without standardizing the cars.

This is a function of American motorsport; F1 (for instance) is pretty much entirely a competition between engineering teams, with actual drivers playing a secondary role but getting most of the credit.

Also, Wankel engines are hilariously inefficient. The RX-8 gets, what, 17/22 mpg? And it drinks engine oil like a motherfucker.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    0Replace4Displace0Replace4Displace The best girls are ships and guns. Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    On the topic of rotaries, my uncle had an RX-7 from '89 that he managed to screw with to the point that the rev limiter was disengaged. 13,000 RPM rolls around from a missed gear shift, the crankshaft proceeds to disintegrate and lob large chunks of metal about 50 meters from the car.

0Replace4Displace on
    u4OkoEI.png