As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Street Fighter: Go to tournaments. They are fun.

ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA!Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
edited July 2010 in Games and Technology

So you wanna be a Street Fighter?
Step 1: Fundamentals
The information in the spoiler will help you get started!
The Footsies Handbook
A list of common Street Fighter notations
A glossary of common Street Fighter terms
Shoryuken New Player Forum
What to practice in practice mode.
Sirlin's Playing to Win Guide- Deals with mindsets and strategy.
Know your character! - a bit shallow, but good for basics
Know your character some more! Getting a little deeper.
[vidurl="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onvtbvgU_Rk"]Vesper Arcade Guide[/vidurl], pretty good for total newbies, gets into more advanced stuff in later chapters.
[vidurl=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDMboPnznJc]Video on hit confirming.[/vidurl]
[vidurl=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHHoGHcgK9k]Video on option selects[/vidurl]
[vidurl=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBUe7HkRkNM]Video on spacing and zoning[/vidurl]
[vidurl=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFTvXXoDNRA]First in a good series[/vidurl] of videos on zoning, knockdown and something else good that I forgot.
Vesper Arcade shows you how to do the trials
Step 2: Getting more serious.
More information than you thought existed, and arcade stick info.
The Street Fighter Wiki page
Eventhubs.com
How to read frame data.
Shoryuken Forums - Character specific forums are great!
Why good players lose to bad ones.

The best thing you can do is play people better than you. Losing sucks but you learn a lot more than from people who you just steamroll. Get in lobbies with other PAers, since we run the whole skill spectrum. They're nice and will help you with advice and stuff. Furthermore, in Super, you can watch your own replays to see why you lost! How cool is that?
Step 2a: Getting a fight stick.
The Joystick Rant
Just buy a god damn TE. Don't ask in the thread, don't second guess it, don't read reviews online, don't poll your friends. Do you know what everyone is going to tell you? GO BUY A GOD DAMN TE. You know what people will say if you ask if you should get an SE? Save yourself the trouble and buy a TE. And then you'll be like "Why is the TE so much better than the SE?" and we'll all say "The buttons suck and you'll have to replace them and it just saves a lot of time and probably money just to get the TE." And then you'll ask us "But what about a Hori stick? I heard those are good." And then everyone will say "Yeah those are okay but they're not as good as the TE or even the SE because it's harder to mod" and then some silly goose will say "Hey, I like Hori's" just to confuse you but then someone else will be like "Yeah Hori's are fine but is it better then the TE?" and the original silly goose will be like "Oh no nothing is better than the TE" because nothing is better than the TE. And then you'll ask us why the TE is so good and the answers will invariably involve the modability, out of the box professional quality parts and the overall sexiness and build quality. But then of course because you have to make this difficult you'll say "I can't use Japanese parts because I need an octo gate, I can't use a square gate, also I need a bat top and some sort of adapter to make it work and blah blah blah" and invariably someone will come in and link you all the things you just mentioned above and tell you where to buy it from.

So I just saved the whole thread like three pages of people trying to be the first to recommend the TE and the ridiculous questions that come with it. JUST. BUY. THE. T. E.

Now that we have that out of the way, here are some stick related links:
The SRK Tech Talk Forums: Everything you need to know to mod or build your own stick.
Switching from a pad to a stick.
Arcade Stick Guide - Complete with reviews, faq and glossary!
Slagcoin's Ridiculously In Depth Joystick Guide
[vidurl="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsME37GrqjY"]Ways to hold a joystick[/vidurl]
Step 3: Watching the pros, learning the matches Step 4: Learning and putting it in practice: The PA Mentor Program
So, if you need help actually doing the combos, or just want someone to give you a helping hand, we are rolling out the PA mentor program. These are people who are willing to devote some time here or there to help you out. So don't be shy! The mentors are listed with their PA name (so you can pm them to work out a schedule), their live name (so you can fight them) and the classes they're willing to teach and when they can do it. If you need help, don't be shy. We're generally pretty patient and helpful!

ChaosHat - XBL: EntropyHat
Availability: Most days and evenings during the week. Weekends not so much.
Classes:
Basics and Fundamentals: work on whatever you need that isn't super character specific. Zoning, theory, footsies, it's all good.
Chun-Li: Chundamentals (do you see what I did there?) to advanced Chun theory.
Juri: Basics to advanced.
Notes: I can be reached on IRC or AIM basically anytime ever. Also, if you want to work on learning the Chun or Juri matchups for your character of choice, I have no problem doing that.

GF-Boceifus - XBL: Boceifus
Availability: Weeknights that aren't wednesday, weekends by appointment.
Classes:
Abel: Beginner to advanced
Makoto: Beginner to intermediate

A Penny Arcade SSFIV RanBat?!
RanBat Finals Primer!
Okay, here is the final say on the RanBat Finals! So, what are the RanBat Finals (hereafter RBF)? The RBF is an asynchronous (meaning, not played all at once), double elimination invitational tournament that will be played at the end of the current season to determine the overall winner of the season! Invites will be handed out to players based on their standing on the RanBat points sheet, as well as attendance based, all players must also have a point earned during the month of July. Here is a list of people who currently qualify on points but not on attendance. If you are one of these people and wish to compete in the finals, please send me a pm.
DitchDoofa
Kris
Boceifus
Lord Palington
ShadyDentist
SabreMau
Natheo
The top 28 will all be seeded into the tournament bracket, with the top four players gaining a first round bye. You can take a look at the bracket set up here.

The RBF will have the same rules as any standard RanBat playoffs. Best of three games, best of three rounds each. Loser can change character and ultra at any time, winner must stick with his character, but may change his ultra. The winner's finals, loser's finals, and grand finals will be best of five games. Each round of the tournament has a reporting deadline, as listed on this schedule:
WR1: 7/26
LR1: 7/27
WR2: 7/28
LR2: 7/29
WR3: 7/30
LR3: 7/31
WSF: 8/1
LR4: 8/2
WF: TBA
L45: 8/3
LR6: 8/4
LSF: 8/5
LF: TBA
GF: TBA

Each match must be reported before 11:59PM, Eastern time of the day listed. This gives you roughly two days in which to schedule a match with your opponent. In the event of any scheduling difficulties, it is advised that players get in contact with me to arrange something suitable for all parties. Players should try to get all matches done as soon as possible instead of waiting for the last minute.

Also, we will be trying to document all matches on Youtube for future viewing, so after your matches, you should go back and save the replays out of the battle log with a descriptive title so they can be recorded later by someone with a video capture card!

There will also be prizes for the top three players, but I have no idea what they will be yet.

Ranbat Season 1 Spreadsheet
Ranbat Season 2 (Current)
Okay, revised ranbat rules for added clarification.
First off, let's start with some definitions:
  • RanBat - RANking BATtle. It's what you're reading about. Players compete in tournaments to earn points and get ranked based on how many points they have earned.
  • Round - A single round. The announcer usually yells "ROUND X" before these start, with X being the round number. In between rounds, a player does not access any menus and cannot change characters.
  • Game - A grouping of rounds, usually best of three or five rounds. After a game ends (online at least) both players are returned to the lobby ready screen and character select.
  • Match - A collection of games against one specific human opponent during a single round or period of a ranbat.

Next: generic ranbat rules.
  • 99 second, best of three rounds, best of three games in a match unless otherwise specified.
  • All characters allowed.
  • Only the loser may switch characters, the winner may not switch characters, but is allowed to change ultras if desired.
Nextly, scheduling and signups!
  • All ranbats @9pm eastern!
  • Xbox 360 ranbats on Tuesday and Thursday
  • PS3 ranbats on Wednesday
  • PM ChaosHat on 360, or DasUberEdward if you're going to come the day of!
  • Log onto IRC at the start time!

Anyways, onto the actual RanBatting.
There are two phases to a ranbat night, the pools period, and the playoffs period. The exact structure of these is up to the organizer, but here are some formats you can expect. First, the pools period. There are two ways the pools period is run generally, depending on turnout. On especially low turnout nights, it is not unprecedented to skip pools. The pools period is meant to select the players who will go to the playoffs period, usually a top 8 (but potentially more in the event of large turnout). Regardless of whichever method is chosen, it is vitally important that you record your match wins and losses, as well as the games wins and losses, as the games wins/losses can be used to break a tie in the event two people have identical match records.

The Pools Period!
Method 1: Group Seeds.
In this way, each player is randomly put into a seed with other players. Each player will then fight the other players in their seed. After everyone has fought the people they are supposed to, the top player from each seed will advance to the playoff period. In the event that there are fewer than eight seeds, then the next best records are selected (think NFL wild card seeding).

Mehod 2: Personal Seeds
When the number doesn't divide nicely for even group seeds, personal seeds will be created. All players will be placed in a random order on a list, and then told to play a number of players above them on the list, and below them on the list. That sounds complicated, but here is an example from a ranbat run by ChaosHat. In this example, players are instructed to play two players above and below them to determine their own personal seed. For instance, ChaosHat would have to play Kris, Yellow Ranger, Chadwalk and SkutSkut. In the event that a player is at the top or bottom of the list, they merely wrap around to the top to get their matches. For example, ZH would play Syrous Starr, SkutSkut, Kinderparty and DRTYWRX.

The Playoff Period!
After whatever method used to determine the top eight is finished, the top eight are then placed in playoff brackets. These can be simple and single elimination, or more complex and double elimination, preference and time available generally determines this. Single elimination brackets are pretty simple, here are example double elimination brackets. Generally, finals matches are played best of five games. In single elimination, these would be the finals, and in double elimination, these are winners' finals (game 11 on the sample bracket), losers' finals (game 13) and grand finals (game 14).

A special note for double elimination: the player coming from losers' finals (the player who won game 13) has to beat the player coming from winners' finals in two matches: one match to send the winner to the loser's bracket, and another match to win the ranbat. The player coming from winners' finals needs to only win one match.

After the playoff period is finished, then points are awarded and tallied on the ranbat spreadsheet (linked above the spoiler). Points are, as of now, given out in two ways depending on the playoffs format. For single elimination, all players are awarded one point for making it to the playoffs, and awarded two extra points for every match they win after that. This makes your points distribution in a top 8 single elimination playoffs look like this: 7 points for first place, 5 points for second, 3 points for people who lost in the semifinals, and 1 point for people who lost in the first round.

For double elimination, points are determined based on what place the player made, and how many participants there were. Players earn the opposite number of points of the place they came in, so for example in an 8 player double elimination playoffs, the first place player would win 8 points, and someone who came in eighth place would win 1. When players lose in the same round, they are considered tied for the highest possible place. Using the example bracket shown above, here are the entrants and the place they finished in:
ChaosHat - 1st place, winner of grand finals, 8 points
DRTYWRX - 2nd place, lost grand finals, 7 points.
Chadwalk - 3rd place, lost loser's finals, 6 points.
Kinderparty - 4th place, lost in loser's semifinals, 5 points.
Blackbeard and e2db - tied for fifth, lost in loser's round 2, four points.
Kris and TheUnsane1 - Tied for seventh, lost in loser's round 1, two points.

Ranbat Long Term Stuff
Ranbat points are accumulated over the length of a season, which is of indeterminate length and up to whoever is running the ranbat. At the end, the standings will finalize, and something will probably happen. Maybe ChaosHat will make someone a cool forum signature denoting that they won or something. Or maybe we'll have a big end of season bracket for all the marbles, consisting of the top eight players by points. Crossing that bridge when we get to that.

cj_iwakura is working on an old school ranbat!
cj iwakura wrote: »
Okay, let's get this rolling.
The First [strike]Annual[/strike] Street Fighter Alpha/3S/whatever GGPO Tournament

When?

sfa2-05-14-171742.png

Ideally next Monday, June 7th, 9PM EST.
(For one of the two, the other, if popular enough, will transpire either next week or somewhere in between.)

What?

-Street Fighter Alpha 2 OR 3

Street_Fighter_Alpha_2_flyer.png & Street_Fighter_Alpha_3_flyer.png

-Street Fighter 3: 3rd Strike: Fight For The Future: Colons

21-1.png

(there's tons of other potential fighters, but for sake of being on topic and in regards to popularity, we'll stick with those two for now)

How?

sfa3-06-03-044002.png

GGPO allows online play between anyone from all over the globe with pretty sweet net code.

I can't go into more details than that, but if you want to contact me, I'll be glad to help you out.

Who?

sfa2-05-14-162253.png

You!

That is, if you PM me. Include your GGPO name, and preference between Alpha 2 or 3(we'll go with whichever game is more popular, not both) and 3s. Or you can enter both.

If you need help figuring out GGPO, I can help you out from there. Or add me to AIM/Messenger if you like.

Fine Print

-Seeding, RanBat style
-Double Elimination

The rest depends on how many people show interest.
It's also possible that I'll be recruiting from other boards and/or communities, just to up the roster.

The PA Fighting Game Community!
We have a friends list, you can access it here!
First, enter your data here, using this form!
Then, you can view the list of players here.

If you're on the 360, you can add the metafriend: A PA SSF4

We also made a super cool IRC room! #PAFighting at irc.slashnet.org:6667 You can use this web client if you're SUPER UNCOOL. So people know, we are naming ourselves LFG_YourName in irc if you're looking for a lobby, and LFM_YourName if you're looking for more people! Simply use /nick to change your name in chat. You should use a non web client because sometimes the web client breaks while the server is still up for some unknown reason. If you need help configuring IRC, Blackbeard made this super cool guide:
How to get mIRC working

Step 1: Go to http://www.mirc.com/ and click Download mIRC and install it. Just do all the basic stuff and let it do its thing. It's pretty fast.

Step 2: Go file > select server. Under connect, click on servers. Then click the Add button that appears on the right. Under description, put whatever you want. Under IRC server, put irc.slashnet.org, ports put 6667, and for group put #PAFighting. Password leave blank. Hit ok when done.

Step 3: Click connect again on the left menu, and fill out the nickname box and other info (I had to also do full name and email before it stopped giving me shit. I also unchecked invisible mode in case it did what it sounded like). Click the connect button under those info boxes, and wait a sec. A box should pop up asking what channel to join. Enter #PAFighting and click join. That should do it. If you get an error at this step, you may have to reopen the server select menu, click on firewall, and add port 6667. I had to, but your mileage may vary.

Know anything I'm missing? Let me know and I'll add it.

ChaosHat on

• Options
    KinderpartyKinderparty Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    WOOOO

Kinderparty on
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    skullomania > *

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    MAKOTO GOT TOP 8 IN A TOURNAMENT?!!

Hell is freezing over.

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    MAKOTO!

Good stuff Ninja.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    LittleKeyLittleKey Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Woo new thread!

LittleKey on
    oblivion-1.jpg
  • Options
    stigweardstigweard Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    NinjaCW made it though to tomorrow. It's nice to see someone making Makoto work.

stigweard on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    stigweard wrote: »
    NinjaCW made it though to tomorrow. It's nice to see someone making Makoto work.

To be fair, Makoto "worked" against extremely terrible players. It's more like they didn't know the match up. Or how to hit conform.

Kinderparty on
  • Options
    BarrabasBarrabas Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Anyone know what time this starts tomorrow? I have nothing to do and a day watching different fighting game tourneys doesn't sound like such a bad way to spend it.

Now that there's a Mak in the losers semi's I definitely have to at least watch SSFIV.

Barrabas on
    XBL - ErrorMacro1
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Makoto over Boxer.

Ma. Ko. To.

Over Boxer.

Fucking nuts. I love it.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    Rex DartRex Dart Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I want Skullomania. :(

Rex Dart on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    TheStig wrote: »
    Antihippy wrote: »
    FUCK YES!

high 5.

1250394476045.jpg
    stigweard wrote: »

To be fair, Makoto "worked" against extremely terrible players. It's more like they didn't know the match up. Or how to hit conform.

Also to be fair that makoto missed some stuff too.

And he isn't really the best makoto that I've seen, but still pretty damn good.

Antihippy on
  • Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I've been super busy with all of the summer classes that I'm teaching, but I'm looking forward to getting back in to this. Would anyone be able to give me a few pointers on beating the legions of flowchart Ryu and Ken players? On a good day I can usually take out most of them, but I will occasionally just fuck it all up, and I know it's because I don't know the match all that well. I don't need a big post about it or anything, but if anyone would be down with playing with me one night that would rock.

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Well that only strengthens my point. CW didn't show some awesome Makoto that provides faith for the character, at least from my standpoint. Wish he would've just taken some ultras after command grabs. :(

Kinderparty on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Well that only strengthens my point. CW didn't show some awesome Makoto that provides faith for the character, at least from my standpoint. Wish he would've just taken some ultras after command grabs. :(

What? I don't really see how that strengthens your point.

Also, balrog is a baaaad matchup for makoto. The fact that he can overcome that is pretty good, even though the balrog is pretty average.

So is rufus, but the previous rufus was actually genuinely terrible, so, eh.

Antihippy on
  • Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    NinjaCW lives near me lol :(. He flew a loong way for this tourney.

Bizazedo on
    XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Yeah I don't think Makoto's going to shoot up the tier list any time soon, if at all.

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I don't think anybody does.

It's like when inthul was playing fei you know? Just nice to see uncommon characters showing that they can work in a tournament.

NinjaCW also won a tournament once btw.

Antihippy on
  • Options
    BTPBTP Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Are there any other fighting games streams happening right now? I can't seem to get on Shoryuken's forums to check.

BTP on
    Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection & DS High Scores Thread
    I WILL NOT BE DOING 3DS FOR NWC THREAD. SOMEONE ELSE WILL HAVE TO TAKE OVER.
    Spoiler contains Friend Codes. Won't you be my friend?
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!
    Mario Kart Wii: 3136-6982-0286 Tetris Party: 2364 1569 4310
    Guitar Hero: Metallica: 1032 7229 7191
    TATSUNOKO VS CAPCOM: 1935-2070-9123

Nintendo DS:
    Worms: Open Warfare 2: 1418-7870-1606 Space Bust-a-Move: 017398 403043
    Scribblenauts: 1290-7509-5558
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I don't think anybody does.

It's like when inthul was playing fei you know? Just nice to see uncommon characters showing that they can work in a tournament.

NinjaCW also won a tournament once btw.

It's nice? I'm pretty sure I just witnessed a perfect storm for a Makoto to be super impressive. Chump players that he could've worked over and been like.. bam, this is Makoto. I saw a super tough struggle that was more disheartening than anything. I mean you can give credit to the guy for ballsing up and playing her, but I'm not giving any credit to the character. At all.

Kinderparty on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Well, sure props to ninjaCW for playing her and he had some tough rounds against some not very good players (though the rufus player didn't really give that much trouble), but seriously, you're giving way too much shit about the character herself.

She has tough matches, but that's just the nature of the character. She needs momentum to work, and it's really tough and risky for her to get it, but other than that she can do perfectly well if she plays the matchups right and if she gets that momentum, kind of like a riskier abel. She has a good tools and some weird tricks that can be used. I think she's pretty much about as viable as guy at the moment.

And as I said, ninjaCW is not the best makoto I've seen. Thee are other much more impressive makotos out there, though ninja himself is really good. Much better than me anyway. :P

Antihippy on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Man people pick out bad characters all day. Suddenly I target Makoto, who was pretty damn unimpressive, and now I'm caring too much about the character. Woops.

Kinderparty on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Like I said, I'm not arguing that she's a great or good character or that there aren't some things (or alot of things in fact) I want to see improve about her, but I just feel you're discrediting the character too much.

Also, it's like a sabre sakura or yeb Gen situation. It's just nice to see some low tiers represented and doing well in tournaments too.

Antihippy on
  • Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    You shouldn't tease about Skullomania.

We will see him again someday.

chamberlain on
  • Options
    DaSniper91DaSniper91 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    hah i forgot how ezmode blanka is

got him to c rank in a second

DaSniper91 on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Like I said, I'm not arguing that she's not a great or good character or that there aren't some things (or alot of things in fact) I want to see improve about her, but I just feel you're discrediting the character too much.

Also, it's like a sabre sakura or yeb Gen situation. It's just nice to see some low tiers represented and doing well in tournaments too.

I'm actually just basing the opinion of what I've seen. Makoto actually played in competitive situations. I've seen Guy come up big, Hu played Cody well. Marn has done alright with Dudley on occasion, and we've seen Valle play Adon well. I mean.. I don't know what else I'm supposed to go on to make an opinion. I'm definitely not going to theorycraft Makoto into a good character, especially when she's so mechanically handicapped to begin with.

Am I alone here? I feel like I've heard this be said a thousand times in IRC.

Kinderparty on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I'm not even sure what we're arguing about anymore. :lol: Mechanically handicapped is a little bit harsh though. There are some things to improve but with what she has she can hang on. Barely, but still.

She's an ok character, and that's all I've got to say really. She's got the tools, she needs more to be really good, but she's alot more viable then gen or dan, which people seem to lump her with alot. Like I said, about as viable as guy imo.

Antihippy on
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Fuck.

Why did you get my hopes up OP?

I would buy any new game with the EX characters in it.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I'm not even sure what we're arguing about anymore. :lol: Mechanically handicapped is a little bit harsh though. There are some things to improve but with what she has she can hang on. Barely, but still.

She's an ok character, and that's all I've got to say really. She's got the tools, she needs more to be really good, but she's alot more viable then gen or dan, which people seem to lump her with alot. Like I said, about as viable as guy imo.

She is a lot more viable than Dan, that's for sure. And Hakan. Guy at least has really effective means of getting through fireballs and good combos off of hit confirm.

Kinderparty on
  • Options
    DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Hrm so I decided to take Evil Malfurious's advice from the other thread, and focus on learning some really simple combos. I picked Ryu because I read on SRK that his moves can be combo'd all sorts of diff ways, so maybe a few of those will work for me. Even if they aren't optimal, they can get me on the road to learning better, more complex combos.

So far it's working ok I think. I can do c.mk > hadoken, and c.lp > c.mp > hadoken reasonably well after some practice. It's not much, but it's a start!

Who knows, maybe I'll take to playing Ryu long term. I do like the character alot, he's very fun to play. I just also know he's probably the most common character ever to be played, and I didn't want to fall into the "lame Ryu / Ken noob crowd". But maybe if I can learn to play him intelligently...

DarkMecha on
    Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
  • Options
    GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    DarkMecha wrote: »
    Hrm so I decided to take Evil Malfurious's advice from the other thread, and focus on learning some really simple combos. I picked Ryu because I read on SRK that his moves can be combo'd all sorts of diff ways, so maybe a few of those will work for me. Even if they aren't optimal, they can get me on the road to learning better, more complex combos.

So far it's working ok I think. I can do c.mk > hadoken, and c.lp > c.mp > hadoken reasonably well after some practice. It's not much, but it's a start!

Who knows, maybe I'll take to playing Ryu long term. I do like the character alot, he's very fun to play. I just also know he's probably the most common character ever to be played, and I didn't want to fall into the "lame Ryu / Ken noob crowd". But maybe if I can learn to play him intelligently...

Don't even consider such thoughts. If you like a character, you like a character. Granted Its easy to get caught up in the SSFIV competitive world wherein being unique kind of matters. Truth be told none of us on this forum are amazing. I can give anyone on this forum a run for their money and I play less than almost anyone. What we are is a group who geniuenly love this game. Play who you want, when you want. Dont let external factors dictate your enjoyment.

Grove on
    Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Grove wrote: »
    DarkMecha wrote: »

Don't even consider such thoughts. If you like a character, you like a character. Granted Its easy to get caught up in the SSFIV competitive world wherein being unique kind of matters. Truth be told none of us on this forum are amazing. I can give anyone on this forum a run for their money and I play less than almost anyone. What we are is a group who geniuenly love this game. Play who you want, when you want. Dont let external factors dictate your enjoyment.

Thanks for that Grove. Reminds me that while I suck and am abit demoralized from losing costantly (I've never won a match in this or vanillia, lol), it's all about love of the fight, characters and game overall. And why I started posting here in the SFIV thread.

DarkMecha on
  • Options
    GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Also I've been drinking a bit so it's tough to edit from an iPhone while drunk, but I mean no offense to the really good players on this forum. Not meaning to undermine anyones skills, just saying none of us will win evo you know. Just trying to support people to pick who they like. Again I'm drunk so forgive any and all rambling, but I do love this game. Just wish my job didn't prevent me fromparticopating more with you guys.

Grove on
    Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
  • Options
    Hiryu02Hiryu02 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Fuck the haters. You like Ryu, you enjoy his playstyle and feel like you want to improve with him? Do it.

Don't play a character to be unique, play them because you like them and they do the job for you. I mean, until recently I was all about Hawk, unfortunately, because Hawk lacks certain vital tools in important matchups, it just became very frustrating to play him.

It was a hard thing to admit, but it came down to the fact that without those particular tools, I felt that I was hitting a wall. I still play him, and maybe I'll read about or discover some new technique or strat that covers the holes in his game and I can give him another shot. Until then, I'm going fat.

Hiryu02 on
    Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • Options
    MorvidusMorvidus Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Thread title.

Come on now...

I almost packed up Super and marched right to Gamestop...

Morvidus on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Hiryu02 wrote: »
    Fuck the haters. You like Ryu, you enjoy his playstyle and feel like you want to improve with him? Do it.

Don't play a character to be unique, play them because you like them and they do the job for you. I mean, until recently I was all about Hawk, unfortunately, because Hawk lacks certain vital tools in important matchups, it just became very frustrating to play him.

It was a hard thing to admit, but it came down to the fact that without those particular tools, I felt that I was hitting a wall. I still play him, and maybe I'll read about or discover some new technique or strat that covers the holes in his game and I can give him another shot. Until then, I'm going fat.

Also a good point. Thanks for the advice and support guys, I feel more focused now.

DarkMecha on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

She is a lot more viable than Dan, that's for sure. And Hakan. Guy at least has really effective means of getting through fireballs and good combos off of hit confirm.

She has enough ways of getting around fireballs, really. Unless your name is guile and to a lesser extent Deejay, there are enough ways for makoto to get around fireballs. Still her weakness, but eh, she can deal with them good enough.

And she has good combos off hit confirms. Pretty good damage and stun too, and damage potential, especially if you have a meter and ultra, is better than guy's. Oki is strong. I feel guy's mixups are stronger, but makoto's mixup is pretty good too. Also, hella good pokes, much better than guys pokes to me. Terrible wakeup, but eh, it's dealable. Also, jump is not slow and floaty like guy's.

edit: goddamn I sound like some sort of makoto defence force. :lol:

Antihippy on
  • Options
    Ross_CRoss_C Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Hiryu02 wrote: »

Well for me, I'm all about Cody and likewise Cody has a certain wall limiting him from having the upperhand in certain matchups, but it isn't too bad of a wall that I actually enjoy trying to overcome that barrier.

Cody's main weakness is his lack of a really good reversal. Criminal Upper usually works as a reversal but it has a startup time to it that keep it from being as effective as say SHORYUKEN!!! The only other reversal that works really well his a EX Zonk Punch, but even with the huge amount of invincible frames, if the opponent blocks it they can easily punish him.

Long story short, Cody has to not get the shit beat out of him or stuck in a corner in order to win. I sadistically like this challenge even though my friends can catch certain breaks by using Dudley and beating the ever living shit out of me, but when I kick their ass with Cody because I was effectively overcoming his shortcomings it feels insanely good.

Ross_C on
  • Options
    blaze_zeroblaze_zero Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Makoto is god tier you guys.

blaze_zero on
  • Options
    aBlankaBlank Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    new thread post

aBlank on
  • Options
    hadokenhadoken Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Morvidus wrote: »
    Thread title.

Come on now...

I almost packed up Super and marched right to Gamestop...

It isnt as painful as the tf2 thread title, check it out.

D: sadface D:

hadoken on