As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Muslims protest '24', killing none

• Options
    FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    ZeroFill wrote:
    PipTheFair wrote:
    OfficiousG wrote:
    24 is racist not because it lacks "positive" Muslim characters, but because of the way it portrays normal Muslims.

Like right now, they're doing a storyline where there are perfectly average-looking Muslims living in suburbia (i.e. Kumar), but then they get a call from their terrorist overlord, murder their helpless white neighbors and run off to nuke Los Angeles.

They are now doing this storyline for the THIRD TIME.

If you count that white chick in Season 2 who was getting married to a Muslim
    is that sarcasm or are you just retarded?
    better play it safe and go with the latter
    I think I'll go with retarded as well

it covers so many bases

Faricazy on
  • Options
    ZeroFillZeroFill Feeling much better. A nice, green leaf.Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Faricazy wrote:
    ZeroFill wrote:
    PipTheFair wrote:
    OfficiousG wrote:
    24 is racist not because it lacks "positive" Muslim characters, but because of the way it portrays normal Muslims.

Like right now, they're doing a storyline where there are perfectly average-looking Muslims living in suburbia (i.e. Kumar), but then they get a call from their terrorist overlord, murder their helpless white neighbors and run off to nuke Los Angeles.

it covers so many bases

sarcasm is so difficult to interpret over the internet

ZeroFill on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    ZeroFill wrote:
    Faricazy wrote:
    ZeroFill wrote:
    PipTheFair wrote:
    OfficiousG wrote:

it covers so many bases

sarcasm is so difficult to interpret over the internet
    bad sarcasm, anyway

Faricazy on
  • Options
    OfficiousGOfficiousG Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Faricazy wrote:
    ZeroFill wrote:
    PipTheFair wrote:
    OfficiousG wrote:

it covers so many bases

I am totally serious about this. It has been the exact same storyline three times.

Also, there's the internment camp storyline this season. Basically they rounded up 50 Muslims, put them in a cage, and a bunch of them started talking about the upcoming terrorist attack so somebody could conveniently overhear. In 30 minutes they probably got more useful intelligence than the US got out of the Japanese internment in all of World War 2.

The show stacks the deck to make all kinds of dumb policies and attitudes toward Muslims seem reasonable. Not that they're endorsing internment camps, but they're at least trying to make it look like there's two sides to the issue, for dramatic purposes.

OfficiousG on
    labsigbig.jpg
  • Options
    MiracleManSMiracleManS __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2007
    I refuse to believe you're totally serious here...

MiracleManS on
    goldfishsig.jpg
  • Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I refuse to believe OfficiousG is being serious by any stretch of the imagination...

Vivixenne on
    XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    OfficiousG wrote:
    Faricazy wrote:
    ZeroFill wrote:
    PipTheFair wrote:
    OfficiousG wrote:

it covers so many bases

I am totally serious about this. It has been the exact same storyline three times.

Also, there's the internment camp storyline this season. Basically they rounded up 50 Muslims, put them in a cage, and a bunch of them started talking about the upcoming terrorist attack so somebody could conveniently overhear. In 30 minutes they probably got more useful intelligence than the US got out of the Japanese internment in all of World War 2.

The show stacks the deck to make all kinds of dumb policies and attitudes toward Muslims seem reasonable. Not that they're endorsing internment camps, but they're at least trying to make it look like there's two sides to the issue, for dramatic purposes.
    there are two side to the i..no, you know what, no

you are bloody retarded, how you manage to breathe is a miracle

Faricazy on
  • Options
    MiracleManSMiracleManS __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2007
    Thank you, Viv/ix/ida;flakshdf

MiracleManS on
    goldfishsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Vivixenne wrote:
    I refuse to believe OfficiousG is being serious by any stretch of the imagination...

No, really, quite serious. I know it's mainly just an action show, but 24 is conscious of its political message too. Like when they had that conservative panel discussion about the show last year. They give the impression that the show's presenting an interesting dilemma, like "Oh, I feel bad about torturing people, but on the other hand I'd be able to save the world like Jack Bauer." But the stuff on the show would not happen the same way in real life. I would just prefer such things were left in the world of make-believe.

No offense to any of y'all, of course. I mean, I watch the show too.

OfficiousG on
    labsigbig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    the retard has escaped

Faricazy on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    OfficiousG wrote:
    Faricazy wrote:
    ZeroFill wrote:
    PipTheFair wrote:
    OfficiousG wrote:

it covers so many bases

Hangon here. Muslims extremist are firstly never the people all the way behind all the evilness. Secondly there are almost always non-typical, ie non-middle east looking people there too.

Oh yeah, Kumar, haven't you heard of the idea of a terrorist cell? You know how people live seemingly normal lives. Oh yeah and then they arrested his father WHO WAS INNOCENT obviously showing that blindly thinking all Muslims are terrorists DOES NOT WORK.

Although if you do want to racially profile and arrest Muslims then yes, you will be bound to gather up a couple of extermests if the country in the grip of terrorists.

Oh yeah why don't you start ranting on how 24 is racist to mexicans as well.

Blake T on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    all mexicans have brothers

Faricazy on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Blaket wrote:
    OfficiousG wrote:
    Faricazy wrote:
    ZeroFill wrote:
    PipTheFair wrote:
    OfficiousG wrote:

it covers so many bases

Hangon here. Muslims extremist are firstly never the people all the way behind all the evilness. Secondly there are almost always non-typical, ie non-middle east looking people there too.

Oh yeah, Kumar, haven't you heard of the idea of a terrorist cell? You know how people live seemingly normal lives. Oh yeah and then they arrested his father WHO WAS INNOCENT obviously showing that blindly thinking all Muslims are terrorists DOES NOT WORK.

Although if you do want to racially profile and arrest Muslims then yes, you will be bound to gather up a couple of extermests if the country in the grip of terrorists.

Oh yeah why don't you start ranting on how 24 is racist to mexicans as well.

Come to think of it, it was pretty excessive for Jack to do that whole prison-break-triple-cross-Russian-roulette-virus-sale scheme just to get a lead on that generic suit-wearing guy. If somebody used the show to justify doing that to real Mexicans, I think that would be pretty racist.

OfficiousG on
    labsigbig.jpg
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    this has got to be some andy kaufman level shit right here

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    CrossBusterCrossBuster Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    You know what's hilarious? How Muslims like to protest criticism but not terrorism.

CrossBuster on
    penguins.png
  • Options
    YosemiteSamYosemiteSam Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    ZeroFill wrote:
    you totally stole Senator McCarthy's line
    Oh, I wish it had been that long ago.

YosemiteSam on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    You know what's hilarious? How Muslims like to protest criticism but not terrorism.

I would actually disagree with that too. It reminds me of something Spike Lee said about Do the Right Thing.

He basically complained "Why are these white critics always questioning whether it was right for the guy in DtRT to start a riot after a police officer murdered a black guy, but they never say anything about whether it was right for the police to murder the guy in the first place?"

What are you supposed to say about the murder? There's no moral puzzle about whether that's right or not, so there's nothing to discuss. Same thing with the terrorism. Also, the murderers/terrorists are a lot less likely to listen and change their minds than the rioters/alarmists.

p.s. I also think this thread is racist against Spike Lee sorry :(

OfficiousG on
    labsigbig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    :|

Faricazy on
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    OfficiousG wrote:

I would actually disagree with that too. It reminds me of something Spike Lee said about Do the Right Thing.

He basically complained "Why are these white critics always questioning whether it was right for the guy in DtRT to start a riot after a police officer murdered a black guy, but they never say anything about whether it was right for the police to murder the guy in the first place?"

What are you supposed to say about the murder? There's no moral puzzle about whether that's right or not, so there's nothing to discuss. Same thing with the terrorism. Also, the murderers/terrorists are a lot less likely to listen and change their minds than the rioters/alarmists.

How is that at all a post script? You didn't even sign your name. And in this media, that being computerized typing, you can go back and edit things into the damn message. Which means that it really isn't a post script at all, and you're misusing the damn term.

Straightzi on
  • Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Spike Lee makes some pretty mediocre movies.

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    OfficiousG wrote:

I decided that Spike Lee was batshit insane when he sued Spike TV for trying to profit off of his good name.

Shorty on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Spike Lee has a good name? You learn something new every day.

CrossBuster on
    penguins.png
  • Options
    FramlingFramling FaceHead Geebs has bad ideas.Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Quetzi wrote:
    OfficiousG wrote:

How is that at all a post script? You didn't even sign your name. And in this media, that being computerized typing, you can go back and edit things into the damn message. Which means that it really isn't a post script at all, and you're misusing the damn term.

medium.

Framling on
    you're = you are
    your = belonging to you

their = belonging to them
    there = not here
    they're = they are
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Framling wrote:
    Quetzi wrote:
    OfficiousG wrote:

medium.

Shit you're right.

Straightzi on
  • Options
    DefenderDefender Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Spike Lee is a racist asshole.

Defender on
  • Options
    Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    ZeroFill wrote:
    This seems to be a reflection on CNN's slipping journalistic standards, rather than the stance of a Senator or a nation on any subject.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    ZeroFillZeroFill Feeling much better. A nice, green leaf.Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    ZeroFill wrote:
    This seems to be a reflection on CNN's slipping journalistic standards, rather than the stance of a Senator or a nation on any subject.

They have to compete with the likes of FoxNews and local stations

I figured Nancy Grace was enough though

ZeroFill on
  • Options
    Mr. GoodtripsMr. Goodtrips Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Defender wrote:

How?

Mr. Goodtrips on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ToadTheMushroomToadTheMushroom Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Inside Man was a great film.

[spoiler:307be4a8be]For once the villain wins, and wins hard. Every fucking film Im routing for the bad guy cause I keep imagining how I would do it better, ie shoot Bond in the face before explaining your masterplan[/spoiler:307be4a8be]

ToadTheMushroom on
  • Options
    SuperunknownSuperunknown Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    SirToons wrote:
    Spike Lee makes some pretty mediocre movies.

He also made some fucking shit ones.

Superunknown on
  • Options
    TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007

[spoiler:a9e2fa153e]For once the villain wins, and wins hard. Every fucking film Im routing for the bad guy cause I keep imagining how I would do it better, ie shoot Bond in the face before explaining your masterplan[/spoiler:a9e2fa153e]

[spoiler:a9e2fa153e]Clive Owen is in no way the villain of Inside Man. Owen and Washington are opposing figures but neither is villainous, and they're seen coming to a grudging respect for each other by the end of the film. The real villains are the war profiteer bank founder and the snooty bitch, and they don't exactly win.[/spoiler:a9e2fa153e]

Tossrock on
    sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Tossrock wrote:

[spoiler:2cdf23739a]For once the villain wins, and wins hard. Every fucking film Im routing for the bad guy cause I keep imagining how I would do it better, ie shoot Bond in the face before explaining your masterplan[/spoiler:2cdf23739a]

[spoiler:2cdf23739a]Clive Owen is in no way the villain of Inside Man. Owen and Washington are opposing figures but neither is villainous, and they're seen coming to a grudging respect for each other by the end of the film. The real villains are the war profiteer bank founder and the snooty bitch, and they don't exactly win.[/spoiler:2cdf23739a]
    Still, great film. Owen acts very well.

Faricazy on
  • Options
    YosemiteSamYosemiteSam Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    ZeroFill wrote:
    It's still super fucked up, and it's not as if he was the only one thinking it.

Also, Inside Man's social commentary really sucked. Spike Lee needs to learn subtlety.

YosemiteSam on
  • Options
    Vincent VolajuVincent Volaju Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I'm muslim and I think 24 is the greatest show ever. So fuck these protesters.. I'd kick their ass if I saw them.

Vincent Volaju on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Anyone watching? Regarding the last bit...

Come on.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Defender wrote:
    What? How can Spike Lee be racist? He's black.

CrossBuster on
    penguins.png
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    OH SHIT ITS MONDAY FUCK

hello torrent

Faricazy on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Defender wrote:
    I just want to make sure...you're being sarcastic, right?

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Faricazy wrote:
    oh hey stuff I shouldn't be saying

hurrrrrrrrrr

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Drez wrote:
    Defender wrote:
    I just want to make sure...you're being sarcastic, right?
    I was going to give a sarcastic answer, but I don't want anyone to even entertain the idea that I'm as retarded enough to seriously make such a post.

Yes. I was being sarcastic.

CrossBuster on
    penguins.png