As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Rape-Axe

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    it strikes me as odd that the responsibility for avoiding rape is being placed entirely on women. Shouldn't we be teaching teenage boys that rape is Not Cool?

Given that it is possible to both allow women to access these and encourage social stigmatization against raping people, I don't see how this puts responsibility entirely on women.

Hi5 LM, exactly this.

Of course, even if we do teach teenage boys that rape is not cool, so what? It's not like teaching small children that stealing is wrong has eliminated the crime of theft.

Even if we do create a program which will change social norms, such a strategy coming to fruition is many years down the track. Should the women who do not have the luxury of locking themselves in a compound or living in a first-world country (where the kinds of rapes this device and similar strategies are intended to reduce are far less common) simply suffer the cruel whims of their attackers?

And then we have the fact that in Africa we've the problem of ridiculous religious agendas (both indigenous and from the first world), rampant poverty, under education and the horrific weight of traditition to fight against. Any program designed to instill progressive, enlightenment values will be an uphill battle that will be guaranteed to take greater than the optimal expected time of success.

However, the facts are that empowering women is the fastest way to cause a society to progress, this has the possibility of affording women greater power. Providing it works as expected, of course. To have an in principle objection because "it's men's fault" is not only naive but counterproductive.

Apothe0sis on
  • Options
    Aroused BullAroused Bull Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    nuka wrote: »
    At first I thought that some folks were playing devil's advocate with me.

Maybe it's because I'm a lady but in what world would a rapist not be mentally off somehow? Are you suggesting to me that there are a ton of men out there (aside from the ones that are sexist) would be totally ok raping a chick if he knew he would get away with it and he would still be mentally sound?

Cause if that is the case maybe I shouldn't ever leave the house.

...why are you excluding the population of sexist men? Are you classifying sexism as a mental illness?
    No. I'm just excluding them because a sexist man is probably more likely to rape some woman than one that isn't. I don't think that makes them crazy, just sexist. I see them as an entirely different group of people than the ones I was talking about in that post.

I don't believe that the average male is sexist, unless he lives in some Saudi Arabian shithole where that's the social norm.

The average male isn't a rapist, either. Rapists are generally not whacked-out loonies. Even a total scumbag is still capable of rational thought.

Aroused Bull on
  • Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

Maybe it's because I'm a lady but in what world would a rapist not be mentally off somehow? Are you suggesting to me that there are a ton of men out there (aside from the ones that are sexist) would be totally ok raping a chick if he knew he would get away with it and he would still be mentally sound?

...why are you excluding the population of sexist men? Are you classifying sexism as a mental illness?
    No. I'm just excluding them because a sexist man is probably more likely to rape some woman than one that isn't. I don't think that makes them crazy, just sexist. I see them as an entirely different group of people than the ones I was talking about in that post.

I don't believe that the average male is sexist, unless he lives in some Saudi Arabian shithole where that's the social norm.

I don't get why we're not talking about sexist men all of a sudden. What is the point of your excluding them? I thought we were talking about rapists, and--maybe I'm wrong--I guess I kind of assumed that rapists would probably be a little more inclined to be sexist than non-rapists.

Why are you excluding the population of sexist men?

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    LieberkuhnLieberkuhn __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2010
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    Not every place in the world has major repercussions for rape but almost every place has major repercussions for murder.

What about assault? What about trying to rape her again, after forceably removing the Rape-Axe from her now that he knows it's there?

I mean christ, the more I think about it the less inclined I am to ever want to use one of these.

I'd also suggest that as a middle-class white woman in a first-world country, you aren't even close to being the demographic towards whom these devices are aimed.

If rape is a bad enough problem in South Africa that women would be willing to use a device as ridiculous as this, then maybe we shouldn't be inventing ridiculous devices for South African women to wear and focusing more on teaching South African men not to regard women as objects and shaming those who commit rape.

I can't even get behind "well it's useful as an anti-rape tool at least", because it's just not.

Lieberkuhn on
    While you eat, let's have a conversation about the nature of consent.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    This was BOTP'd:
    I would personally be horrified to find anything on my dick after putting it in a woman, 100x this if it's painful and spiny.

I honestly do not think that my attention would be on much of anything except what the hell is going on down there.

The horrified responses in this thread aren't wholly hyperbole, I don't think, I do believe my likely response is fairly common among men, rapists included.

And this comment is directed towards the people who believe this device would result in escalation.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    nukanuka What are circles? Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    how do you make sure this is only used as intended

Honestly, I can't imagine preventing abuse of this to be super important.

If a girl wants to do something as psychotic as root you with one of these for whatever reason when you've got her in bed consensually, even without one I'm sure a girl with such intentions could find some other way to harm you.
    Women can be crazy as hell too. It's not necessary to use Rape-Axe to ruin someone's life but oh it's possible.

nuka on
    DS: 2667 5365 3193 | 2DS: 2852-8590-3716
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

The average male isn't a rapist, either. Rapists are generally not whacked-out loonies. Even a total scumbag is still capable of rational thought.
    By some studies, apparently the average man in South Africa is a rapist.

Hoz on
  • Options
    Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    not all rapists realize what they're doing is rape, and some of them justify their actions, or 'choose to interpret' the situation in a way that strays from reality.

so i wouldn't say you have to be crazy or inhuman to commit rape. delusional, cruel, or any number of things, sure, but saying 'all rapists are crazy' is incorrect.

you also wouldn't need to be crazy to use this thing as a way to spite someone. when it comes right down to it, this device is a weapon. it is designed not to defend but to maim. it is concealed, providing no threat implicit or explicit threat, meaning it won't ward off predators by presence alone. it does nothing to actually prevent the assault it was designed to prevent, and may serve to increase the danger to the person it's meant to aid because now she has a pissed off rapist with his dick inside her unable to pull out because something's stabbing his penis.

this is a very bad weapon.

Actually it's designed so that the man pulls out and the barbed condom stays on him.

The intention is that they thrust, feel sharp things, instinctively pull out in pain, and that pain doesn't leave because the thing is rooted firmly in his dick.

Rear Admiral Choco on
  • Options
    Liquid GhostLiquid Ghost DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES, TOO?! Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Thank God for other forumers, because on two percocets I don't think I'm really capable of putting the questions in my last post into any sort of comprehensible order.

EDIT: What is it about these pills that makes my words longer? Fuck.

Liquid Ghost on
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

A) This would be an utterly minor concern. Whiny mans need to HTFU.
    B) If it did occur, you would charge aforesaid woman with (sexual?) assault.

Apothe0sis on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I'd also suggest that as a middle-class white woman in a first-world country, you aren't even close to being the demographic towards whom these devices are aimed.

If rape is a bad enough problem in South Africa that women would be willing to use a device as ridiculous as this, then maybe we shouldn't be inventing ridiculous devices for South African women to wear and focusing more on teaching South African men not to regard women as objects and shaming those who commit rape.

You are still assuming that it's one or the other. Why not have both? Why does that possibility not exist in your brain?

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Not every place in the world has major repercussions for rape but almost every place has major repercussions for murder.

What about assault? What about trying to rape her again, after forceably removing the Rape-Axe from her now that he knows it's there?

I mean christ, the more I think about it the less inclined I am to ever want to use one of these.

I can't even get behind "well it's useful as an anti-rape tool at least", because it's just not.

See my above post.

Do you have 20 years and the capacity to kill every religious nutcase who steps foot on the continent?

Are you certain that this would not work, at all?

Apothe0sis on
  • Options
    Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010

If a girl wants to do something as psychotic as root you with one of these for whatever reason when you've got her in bed consensually, even without one I'm sure a girl with such intentions could find some other way to harm you.
    Women can be crazy as hell too. It's not necessary to use Rape-Axe to ruin someone's life but oh it's possible.

What I meant was if I have a girl in bed there are still ways she can grievously injure me, during the act or no.

If someone's psychotic enough to put one in themselves and lure a man to have sex with her, what's to say she won't strike him physically in a debilitating way, like going for the eyes?

Rear Admiral Choco on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

I don't get why we're not talking about sexist men all of a sudden. What is the point of your excluding them? I thought we were talking about rapists, and--maybe I'm wrong--I guess I kind of assumed that rapists would probably be a little more inclined to be sexist than non-rapists.

That's why. I wanted to imagine for the sake of the argument why a perfectly ordinary, not sexist and sober guy would rape someone.

I'm a little naive, and I think that's why I'm disagreeing with people here. I know it sounds like I'm backpedaling, but it's true and I'm embarrassed about it.

nuka on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    it is designed not to defend but to maim. it is concealed, providing no threat implicit or explicit threat, meaning it won't ward off predators by presence alone.

Knowledge of the device accomplishes that function. And I can't imagine word of this not getting out, particularly if it is as effective in terms of debilitating pain, etc, as has been advertised.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Hoz wrote: »

By some studies, apparently the average man in South Africa is a rapist.

And most certainly a sexist, and probably not a whacked-out loony.

Aroused Bull on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    This was BOTP'd:
    I would personally be horrified to find anything on my dick after putting it in a woman, 100x this if it's painful and spiny.

I honestly do not think that my attention would be on much of anything except what the hell is going on down there.

The horrified responses in this thread aren't wholly hyperbole, I don't think, I do believe my likely response is fairly common among men, rapists included.

And this comment is directed towards the people who believe this device would result in escalation.

This is my intuition as well.

Apothe0sis on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    What I meant was if I have a girl in bed there are still ways she can grievously injure me, during the act or no.

I'd imagine that putting this band saw into her cooch would be only one of the many things that a psychotic chick would attempt to do to me were she so inclined to completely fuck up my day.

Liquid Ghost on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

If someone's psychotic enough to put one in themselves and lure a man to have sex with her, what's to say she won't strike him physically in a debilitating way, like going for the eyes?
    Because women don't fight like that. It's not about injuring a person, it's ruining their lives forever.

Remember Carrie? Why would they humiliate her and tease her for so long, then elect her as prom queen and then dump pig's blood all over her when they could just beat her up for being late to the puberty party?

nuka on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I wanted to imagine for the sake of the argument why a perfectly ordinary, not sexist and sober guy would rape someone.

There are aaalll sorts of reasons, starting with fundamental and willfull misunderstanding of their situation and moving on through the darker spectrum of human attributes.

Aroused Bull on
  • Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    not all rapists realize what they're doing is rape, and some of them justify their actions, or 'choose to interpret' the situation in a way that strays from reality.

so i wouldn't say you have to be crazy or inhuman to commit rape. delusional, cruel, or any number of things, sure, but saying 'all rapists are crazy' is incorrect.

you also wouldn't need to be crazy to use this thing as a way to spite someone. when it comes right down to it, this device is a weapon. it is designed not to defend but to maim. it is concealed, providing no threat implicit or explicit threat, meaning it won't ward off predators by presence alone. it does nothing to actually prevent the assault it was designed to prevent, and may serve to increase the danger to the person it's meant to aid because now she has a pissed off rapist with his dick inside her unable to pull out because something's stabbing his penis.

Actually it's designed so that the man pulls out and the barbed condom stays on him.

The intention is that they thrust, feel sharp things, instinctively pull out in pain, and that pain doesn't leave because the thing is rooted firmly in his dick.

aside from that is my assessment far off?

this is a concealed weapon capable of grave misuse.

it's also completely useless in gang rape scenarios and would only serve to further aggravate aggressors.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    blaze_zeroblaze_zero Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    How do we know some crazy chick isn't going to buy this just so she can lure in men and clamp in on their penis?

Or like in a revenge scenario not involving sex, but the girl somehow just jams it on there?

blaze_zero on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

That's why. I wanted to imagine for the sake of the argument why a perfectly ordinary, not sexist and sober guy would rape someone.

I guess I missed something. At what point was non-sexist, sober people raping people an issue in need of discussion, and to what purpose would it have been discussed?

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    blaze_zero wrote: »
    How do we know some crazy chick isn't going to buy this just so she can lure in men and clamp in on their penis?

Or like in a revenge scenario not involving sex, but the girl somehow just jams it on there?

One imagines this is the type of scenario a good lawyer should get you out of.

Which begs the question then: is this likely to provide any additional evidence, given that fact?

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

God, who cares?

Assault is still illegal, last time I checked?

Guys who are handwringing over this are sexist and whiny, silly geese as the kids these days are saying.

Apothe0sis on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

I guess I missed something. At what point was non-sexist, sober people raping people an issue in need of discussion, and to what purpose would it have been discussed?

When I said rapists are a little off, that was why. I was thinking of that kind of an individual. Not someone that hated women or was too drunk to understand the concept of the word no.

nuka on
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    it is designed not to defend but to maim. it is concealed, providing no threat implicit or explicit threat, meaning it won't ward off predators by presence alone.

Knowledge of the device accomplishes that function. And I can't imagine word of this not getting out, particularly if it is as effective in terms of debilitating pain, etc, as has been advertised.

I kind of assumed one of the big ideas behind the invention of Doc Ehler's Nightmare Dick Cage was deterrence. I mean, it certainly can't physically prevent rape otherwise.

Still, leaning on the hope that the Rape-Axe will become popular, word will get out, and actually succeed in getting potential rapists to rationally think twice about acting... well.. It seems a slim hope.

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    LieberkuhnLieberkuhn __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2010

See my above post.

Do you have 20 years and the capacity to kill every religious nutcase who steps foot on the continent?

Are you certain that this would not work, at all?

Are you certain that it would work, and not just make things worse?

And are you actually suggesting that it's a bad idea to try and fix social attitudes towards rape? It might not be as easy as sticking a piece of plastic up yourself, but it's the only thing that will actually make women safe.

Lieberkuhn on
    While you eat, let's have a conversation about the nature of consent.
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Now that I think about it, if the situation in South Africa is so dire that the majority of the men can rape women without any legal repercussions, then I don't see how much this device can do. If the aim is to deter attackers, then it will most certainly fail. If a dude intends on raping a woman, all he needs is an awareness of the function of this device to remove it. It just seems like, even when rape is commonplace, the act itself requires some power of will that this device cannot counter.

But then again, I'd love to hear about the guys that fail. :lol:

Hoz on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

aside from that is my assessment far off?

this is a concealed weapon capable of grave misuse.

it's also completely useless in gang rape scenarios and would only serve to further aggravate aggressors.

I wouldn't say so, no.

It is most certainly capable of misuse, as any other weapon is.

And yes, the gang rape thing is an absolutely serious concern.

I don't mind the use of this as intended, but it's not a solution on its own; it's a last resort tool for escape.

Rear Admiral Choco on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

I kind of assumed one of the big ideas behind the invention of Doc Ehler's Nightmare Dick Cage was deterrence. I mean, it certainly can't physically prevent rape otherwise.

Still, leaning on the hope that the Rape-Axe will become popular, word will get out, and actually succeed in getting potential rapists to rationally think twice about acting... well.. It seems a slim hope.

It's been out for years now. Just saying.

I don't know how many people are or not aware of this device but it's been out for some time now.

nuka on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

She might do that, sure, but that implies an intent to bring physical harm and she could easily do that without needing to bother with this thing.

I figure if I bring home some girl that's touched in the head and she wants to completely ruin me, all she would have to do is poke holes in the condom and engage in her form of warfare that way.

This is why I make routine condom checks during sex, requiring signatures and paperwork filled out every five minutes, as well as strictly forbidding anyone besides myself to ever touch the condom before and after I'm through.

Liquid Ghost on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    This was BOTP'd:

This is my intuition as well.

It surprises me that so many people believe that there is going to be rational and righteous anger directed at women as a response to finding a spiny thing stuck to one's wingdong. I believe that 98% of men would have their attention radically redirected in an extremely short span of time. Their brains may indeed suffer whiplash.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I think the purpose of it is to give you an opportunity to get away once it's embedded in the assailant's penis.

I'm trying to imagine the sensation of one of these things. I imagine the device kind of contracting a little when the erection subsides, since the barbs would be rooted in there. I can't imagine that's an easy feeling to shake off, and so a victim may be able to get up and get away, hopefully.

Ugh. This is a really unpleasant thing to think about.

Alright - now imagine that you're a desperate man with AIDs, who is already quite used to much more terrible pain than RapeAxe could ever inflict, and brainwashed into thinking that women should be subservient puppets. And now this young woman (likely a starved 14 year old girl, if I recall the stats correctly), has dared to defy you and cut-up your manlihood while you tried to rid yourself of a curse!

It's not going to enable most victims to flee from their attackers. The notion that it would allow victims to gain an 'upper hand' is just ridiculous.

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Options
    edited June 2010

I understand that having spiky things clamped on your genitals is an unsettling notion, but you people need to stop thinking with your dicks. If someone wants to hurt you, they don't need a booby-trapped vagina to do it.

Aroused Bull on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I wanted to imagine for the sake of the argument why a perfectly ordinary, not sexist and sober guy would rape someone.

There are aaalll sorts of reasons, starting with fundamental and willfull misunderstanding of their situation and moving on through the darker spectrum of human attributes.

Then there is a dark and evil side of people that I have yet to understand.

nuka on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I don't know how many people are or not aware of this device but it's been out for some time now.

How long, where, and in what capacity?

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

God, who cares?

Guys who are handwringing over this are sexist and whiny, silly geese as the kids these days are saying.

The concern isn't sexist, but great attempt at shutting down this angle of the debate by claiming it is.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    Draco_AuricDraco_Auric Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Wouldn't this thing just encourage anal rape?

Draco_Auric on
    brick2jv6.jpg
  • Options
    blaze_zeroblaze_zero Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

God, who cares?

I'm just thinking that stupid people would be like "Wow, this is an easy way to win a lawsuit" and go with that.

blaze_zero on