As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[STEAM] Dawn of The Final Day -24 Hours Remain-

• Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I just bought the Chrome pack on a whim.

Apparently I'll take the opportunity to shoot a dinosaur for a 1.99.

Drake on
  • Options
    SightTDWSightTDW Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'm hoping there's nothing I want tomorrow. I need time to move around some money at this point. Is this sad? I think it might be sad.

On another note, who to try out now that Street Fighter IV has downloaded. The only SF character I've ever been remotely good with in any of the games is Makoto, and seeing this game's acronym lacks an extra S, I'm shit out of luck in that department.

SightTDW on
    Live - SightTDW | PSN - SightTDW | Nintendo Network - Wildschwein | 3DS - 1934-0834-9797
    Steam - Wildschwein | The Backlog
    Grappling Hook Showdown - Tumblr
  • Options
    Blue mapBlue map Hello darkness, my old friend. Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So does the original X-Com have any sort of actual ending, or do i just keep going until i get bored?

Blue map on
    My Steam profile thing: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Blue_map/ Battlenet: BlueMap#1493
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Blue map wrote: »
    So does the original X-Com have any sort of actual ending, or do i just keep going until i get bored?

you win when there are no more aliens left to kill

and yes, there is a point where that happens

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    CarbonFire wrote: »
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Spoit wrote: »
    Big Isy wrote: »
    they should do ramadan sales. A whole month of sales. And bonus monies from all the food you don't eat.
    They already have midweek sales and weekend sales. Something is always on sale. It's ridiculous.

Half the time, the thing that's on sale is railworks DLC though

Does anyone on these boards actually own or play Railworks? I see those DLC packs on the mid-week specials all the time and I always wonder about that game. I mean, that game has a shitload of DLC. Does it actually have any substance to it? Is the game itself fun? I honestly don't know a damn thing about it.

It's more of a simulator than a game. I'd imagine if you're REALLY into trains, it'd be right up your alley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuVU34GEAOg

And the DLC is all just "here are more trains for you to use!"

I reeeally don't understand people who are fascinated by trains, but I guess a guy has to be into SOMETHING. They probably think the same thing about us.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AyulinAyulin Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Flotilla is pretty nifty, but the amount of time they give you until the adventure comes to an end seems way too short. I guess that makes it good for playing in short bursts, but it seems that just when I'm starting to get to the good bits, it'll end.

Ayulin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GalagaGalaxianGalagaGalaxian Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Ayulin wrote: »
    Flotilla is pretty nifty, but the amount of time they give you until the adventure comes to an end seems way too short. I guess that makes it good for playing in short bursts, but it seems that just when I'm starting to get to the good bits, it'll end.

Hardcore mode lasts about 2-3 times longer I've heard.

GalagaGalaxian on
    Remember the compliments you receive, forget the insults; if you succeed in doing this, tell me how.
  • Options
    FatsFats Corvallis, ORRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Fats wrote: »
    Can't believe I didn't buy these Commandos games when they came out, they're right up my alley.

I played Commandos 1. It was hard as shit. Never played the sequels. But I'm considering getting the pack. $3.75 is a hard price to beat. And I love the concept. I'm just really bad at the execution.

Yeah, so far the first level is destroying me, which I'm sure is a good sign. Still fun, though, and the 2D art holds up surprisingly well.

Fats on
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So I grabbed the X-Com pack. Just booted them up for a minute to mess around and see if everything's working (after some massive dosbox config changes.. god I hate smoothed sprites!). Man, the game just feels weird running at the *correct* speed. I'm so used to this thing running crazy fast that it feels slow to me now :P Especially the battles - on my old copy the AI turns would last maybe a half a second. Now it actually makes me sit through them. It's odd. And I can actually read the messages that flash on screen! :)

I tried Apocolypse but damn, I had no clue what to do. I saw a floating triangle thing I wanted to attack but couldn't seem to figure out how. I may have to track down a Let's Play of that game to figure out what the heck I'm doing. Incidentally, I think I understand what the modern "XCOM" game is trying to rip off now with its crazy "oh my god the aliens look like geometic shapes!!!!!" thing now... In fact, I sort of wonder if maybe those devs only played Apocolypse and not the original - the opening trailer seemed very similar to the new one's e3 trailer (of which the new one seems to have almost nothing to actually do with X-Com other than "there are aliens!")

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    BertezBertezBertezBertez Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So I think this is pretty wonderful

http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/1176/newnewell.gif

BertezBertez on
    ...but I would say that

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AntithesisAntithesis Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    It's 3:00 AM for me right now. Therefore, The Witcher must be a good RPG.

Antithesis on
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Blue map wrote: »

There is a finale mission that ends the game. Keep on trucking with that research and interrogation and it'll all become clear.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I just grabbed GTA 4 for $5 as I have a new new computer and needed some games for it...

The problem is I don't think I have the horsepower, which is odd as my computer is newer than the game...

I have a Core2 Duo 7500 (2.93Ghz) which looks OK
    I also have a Nvidia 210, which is a DX10 card and much newer than an 8800 that is DX9 and a few years old. But they are saying my 210 sucks (?) and may have problems. How on earth can that be?

halkun on
  • Options
    AyulinAyulin Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    halkun wrote: »
    I just grabbed GTA 4 for $5 as I have a new new computer and needed some games for it...

The problem is I don't think I have the horsepower, which is odd as my computer is newer than the game...

I also have a Nvidia 210, which is a DX10 card and much newer than an 8800 that is DX9 and a few years old. But they are saying my 210 sucks (?) and may have problems. How on earth can that be?

Mmm, newer doesn't necessarily mean better.

The 210 is a low-end card; I'm not sure how well it'll perform relative to the 8800, but I don't think it'd be a whole lot better.

Ayulin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    UltimanecatUltimanecat Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    GTA4 is heavily CPU-bottlenecked and runs like a dog on dual-core processors unless you keep most settings below medium. You need a quad-core to really bump anything up.

At $5 it's probably worth a shot on the PC, but ultimately it's programmed terribly so you'd have to be prepared to deal with the shoddy performance.

Ultimanecat on
    SteamID : same as my PA forum name
  • Options
    FerrusFerrus Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I finished The Force Unleashed - Not all of it but the main story - and boy am I glad I didn't spent more than 7€ on it. The game throws some pretty cheap shit at you towards the end, most of all enemies that stunlock you forever. That's just rubbish design in a game that wants to simulate melee combat.

Ferrus on
    I would like to pause for a moment, to talk about my penis.
    My penis is like a toddler. A toddler—who is a perfectly normal size for his age—on a long road trip to what he thinks is Disney World. My penis is excited because he hasn’t been to Disney World in a long, long time, but remembers a time when he used to go every day. So now the penis toddler is constantly fidgeting, whining “Are we there yet? Are we there yet? How about now? Now? How about... now?”
    And Disney World is nowhere in sight.
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010

An 8800 (doesn't even matter which version, G80, G92, whatever) is not only a DX10 part, but will smoke the shit out of a GT210 and pee on its limp body.

I once played this game on an overclocked Core 2 Quad and performance was still asstacular. I don't know about the recent patches that supposedly improved performance.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Does GTA4 still use Securom? Is a Games for Windows Live account still required for the Steam version? And is there anything I need to know about patches, like, the latest one sucks but use this fan made one, etc.?

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The GfWL account is only needed if you want to play online. I don't know about SecuROM.

reVerse on
  • Options
    Michael HMichael H Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

I lold

Michael H on
  • Options
    DrunkMcDrunkMc Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I swear the 8800 came from the future. I don't think I've seen a video card hold up this long and well since........well; ever!

I bought the thing like 2yrs ago when it was considered old and it still runs all my games at high. It's been years since I've upgraded my PC and usually I'm upgrading every year or so cause I demand max resolution!

If I could, I'd take my 8800 out every night and cuddle with it while I slept.

DrunkMc on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    My 8800 lasted so long

I was pretty stunned at how it held up to new games myself

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    BeenieWeenieBeenieWeenie So Delicious So NutritiousRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Zxerol wrote: »

An 8800 (doesn't even matter which version, G80, G92, whatever) is not only a DX10 part, but will smoke the shit out of a GT210 and pee on its limp body.

I once played this game on an overclocked Core 2 Quad and performance was still asstacular. I don't know about the recent patches that supposedly improved performance.
    I tried it on both my desktop (AMD 64 single core with an 8600GTS) and it ran like balls.
    Ran it on my lappy with much better specs... and it still runs like balls. The game just has bad programming apparently. Plus all the shitty Windows Live stuff I had to put on both machines.

I wound up just buying it for my PS3.

Also, I had forgotten how good Indigo Prophecy was. It sure as hell is a lot harder to control on PC than it was on PS2 though. I'm using my PS3 controller and it's wayyyy too sensitive, it thinks I'm hitting diagonals when I'm not hitting the analog sticks exactly to the sides. I had to turn difficulty down to Easy to make it playable during button-heavy sequences.

BeenieWeenie on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Antithesis wrote: »
    It's 3:00 AM for me right now. Therefore, The Witcher must be a good RPG.

Heh. Armored Princess kept me up two hours past my bedtime last night. (Found Royal Snakes right when I should have been going to bed. How could I not go do battle with them? Don't judge me.) Between that and rocking Puzzle Quest 2 on the DS on the commute, it's turns turns turns for me at the moment.

Just one more turn...

Steam Sale is like a holiday, like a big raucous festival. I love you, Steam Sale.

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    SimTikiSimTiki Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Friends. Your enthusiasm for the Steam sale has brought me back to PC gaming. I purchased about a dozen games and somehow resurrected my fragile gaming rig from its long slumber. I don't much care when my machine kicks the bucket (or Windows gets corrupted as is common) as I've moved all data off to my NAS. I rest secure in the thought that I can redownload my games if something happens but would love to set up a backup of my saves/game data to the NAS if I can.

Is there some specific place the Steam stores it's game saves or does that vary from game to game?

SimTiki on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    SimTiki wrote: »
    Friends. Your enthusiasm for the Steam sale has brought me back to PC gaming. I purchased about a dozen games and somehow resurrected my fragile gaming rig from its long slumber. I don't much care when my machine kicks the bucket (or Windows gets corrupted as is common) as I've moved all data off to my NAS. I rest secure in the thought that I can redownload my games if something happens but would love to set up a backup of my saves/game data to the NAS if I can.

Is there some specific place the Steam stores it's game saves or does that vary from game to game?

Pretty much every game is different. IIRC most store their savegames in your profile folder (C:\users\[name]). Almost always in the Documents folder (or a subdirectory of it). Other games store their saves right in their own folder.

Also, a few games (particularly Valve games) store savegames via Steam Cloud now, which means that when you save a game it's uploaded to the cloud (assuming you're online), and you can load that savegame from pretty much anywhere else you can connect to Steam.

subedii on
  • Options
    IdolisideIdoliside Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Olivaw wrote: »
    My 8800 lasted so long

I was pretty stunned at how it held up to new games myself

I feel the same way about my ATi HD3870

Idoliside on
    Proud member of Noah's Wangship Steam Group
    iusb_760x100.8161697.jpgBunting, Owls and Cushions! Feecloud Designs
  • Options
    JintorJintor Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    My 8600 is finally giving up the ghost. Replacing it with something shinier when my paycheck comes through.

/edit I said elsewhere that I had a 5600, I was totally wrong.

Jintor on
  • Options
    WMain00WMain00 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'm hoping for a World in Conflict sale as I really want to buy it, but want to wait and see whether it goes on special sale.

Also Men of War gets my stamp of approval. It can be a bit frustrating at times trying to figure out where the objectives are, but it more than makes up for it with extremely intense battle scenarios. In the train defense mission I was literally holding on for the last dying second to get the train out. All my men had been killed and the German tanks were almost right next to the train about to shoot it before the train finally left. Was awesome!

WMain00 on
  • Options
    VinterVinter Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Ive been playing Europa Universallis. Damn is that game awesome! Once i started getting the hang of things i was kicking the crap out of France as england, then all of Europe attacked me... Anyhow this sale is amazing! Never get anything this cool out of consoles.

Vinter on
    The building was on fire, and it wasn't my fault.

Xbox GT: Master Vinter Steam: Vinter PSN: VinterM 3DS: 4699-5853-7381
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Vinter wrote: »
    Ive been playing Europa Universallis. Damn is that game awesome! Once i started getting the hang of things i was kicking the crap out of France as england, then all of Europe attacked me... Anyhow this sale is amazing! Never get anything this cool out of consoles.

I keep trying to get into it but get utterly lost. The GUI could be a bit clearer, and the tutorial is broke.

WMain00 on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    The tutorial crashed me a few times, but once you get the hang of it its not too hard. It reminds me of the Total War games, but with alot less focus on the war aspect and more on diplomacy. Ive had to restart my games a couple of times so far, because im slowly learning to manage my empire properly. Wish i knew how the computer was researching better then me though...

Vinter on

• Options
    Golden LegGolden Leg Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    As a PC gamer, should I get GTA IV? I enjoyed the bejesus out of San Andreas, but have heard mixed things about this'un.

Golden Leg on
  • Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I have EU on disk and I never seem to have any luck getting it to not crash for long.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    The tutorial crashed me a few times, but once you get the hang of it its not too hard. It reminds me of the Total War games, but with alot less focus on the war aspect and more on diplomacy. Ive had to restart my games a couple of times so far, because im slowly learning to manage my empire properly. Wish i knew how the computer was researching better then me though...

It seems that in your economics section you can determine how much of the treasury is researching specific aspects by tuning it as you wish. So for instance raise the trade bar higher to research it quicker. It can still take a good couple of years though to complete, so manage it according to best results.

WMain00 on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Golden Leg wrote: »
    As a PC gamer, should I get GTA IV? I enjoyed the bejesus out of San Andreas, but have heard mixed things about this'un.

It's a good game, but it's a shitty port, if you understand me

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    LotharsLothars Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

It's not that bad of a port, it's actually improved alot with patches.

Lothars on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    WMain00 wrote: »

It seems that in your economics section you can determine how much of the treasury is researching specific aspects by tuning it as you wish. So for instance raise the trade bar higher to research it quicker. It can still take a good couple of years though to complete, so manage it according to best results.

Ya, thats what im going to do now. I was having a trouble balancing inflation in the last game, it got really bad. So now im trying to manage my income much more closely. This game most certainly doesn't hold your hand, and i love it.

Vinter on

• Options
    NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

From someone who has a dual core proc, don't buy it unless you have a quad core.

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    the GTA4 port gets a lot more flack than it deserves, imo

if you happen to run it at the same resolution that the consoles do (which, I remind you, is extremely tiny), you will get about the same performance as the consoles do

Dehumanized on
This discussion has been closed.