As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Paradox Interactive] Divine Wind finally on Steam, NEW HoI3 expansion announced

• Options
    The Fourth EstateThe Fourth Estate Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    oldmanken wrote: »
    Yeah, I didn't think it would be a great idea, especially considering the outlay of allies and such. I'm still in the early 1424, happily researching up and consolidating my 3 North Africa provinces and my colony on Madeira. I'm hoping I can discover the Azores or the Canary Islands soon, so I can jump on those as well. Are those time sensitive discoveries, or can I keep running my boats near them and hope to get lucky?

Keep running your boats by. As long as an explorer is leading them you have a chance of uncovering them each time you enter the related sea province. Or land a conquistador to definitely uncover it.

You can wait until 50 years after someone else uncovers it, but it'll most likely be gone then.

The Fourth Estate on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    oldmanken wrote: »
    Yeah, I didn't think it would be a great idea, especially considering the outlay of allies and such. I'm still in the early 1424, happily researching up and consolidating my 3 North Africa provinces and my colony on Madeira. I'm hoping I can discover the Azores or the Canary Islands soon, so I can jump on those as well. Are those time sensitive discoveries, or can I keep running my boats near them and hope to get lucky?

You should get a mission where you get "discover blank" and the requirement is "have a ship in the sea zone." So if you have a long term mission, abandon it to grab the Azores and Canaries as naval bases to start colonizing the Caribbean and conquer the Maya/Aztecs/Zapotec/Cherokee/Shawnee ASAP.

In my Burgundy -> France game I'm moving into Italy. And now I have a Cabinet so more wars. More!

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So, here is what I'm thinking. Madeira has become self-sustaining, and I've managed to convert Tangiers, Cueta, and Meilla (sp?) in North Africa (revolt risks at 1.7, 1.7, and 2.8 respectively). Algeria is getting quite big, and has a military that size-wise, rivals my own. I'm sure I have better quality troops, and I'll build a few more soon. They are allied with Fez, who hold two provinces, and they have reduced Morocco to a OPM. They also hold a gold producing province in Sus.

So here is the question... should I go after them? More importantly, how many provinces should I have them cede if I am successful, and should I go balls to walls to get that gold province?

I'm obviously worried about revolt risk here, and not over extending myself too much. That said, if I can annex Morocco (Marrakesh) in the process, I would have a centralized point from which to deal with potential uprising and revolts. I would leave much of Algeria proper alone, as I am mostly looking just to beat them down and take the Atlantic African coast.

How's that sound?

oldmanken on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Africa's not that useful (until Victoria). But yeah grabbing Sus is usually a good idea. But again, the focus should be on colonizing as much of America as you can, especially Central America, as there are several gold producing provinces that will fund the rest of your ambitions.

If you do things right you should be able to get something like a 30-40 year head start.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    When do other powers start colonizing?

oldmanken on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Castille is first, whenever they get to government 9 and adopt QftNW (I think it's their second, might be the third at 11) so around 1490 or so. They tend to aim for Mexico and various bits of the Caribbean. England follows with either their third or fourth national idea, France fourth or fifth I think. Eventually other people show up if there's stuff left, with the Scandinavians being the most likely, I think.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Well, I'm in 1430 and just hit Gov 7 and am almost completed Trade 6. Once I hit Trade 7, it's just a matter of going nuts on Gov until I hit 9, which I can see happening around the 1450s or so... hopefully.

I managed to just take most of the provinces in Africa that I wanted. Have some pretty serious revolt risks, but should be able to manage. Now it's just to decide whether I'm going to take out Morocco now, or just let them and Fez stew as OPMs. I think the latter, at least until my war exhaustion settles and I can consolidate a little.

oldmanken on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    So... um... some huge number of provinces (I think I have ~30 to go in the Americas + Caribbean, plus all of France, most of the Netherlands/Belgium/Luxemberg, The westernmost bits of Germany, Switzerland, and most of northern Italy) + 10 years ahead of its time = 90,000 ducats for government 33. Which I need for Scientific Revolution, badly. On the plus side, I'm building a manufactory every second year and building like 3 colonies a year (I have... 20, 30 active ones these days? It's ridiculous) at this point. I need to make an army to go play around in the East Indies now. And maybe expand my African holdings.

The other amusing thing is Brandenberg keeps throwing their outdated armies at my fortresses defended by 40,000 of the most advanced men on the planet and my top ten general. Hey look another 20,000 killed for about 3,000 of mine, would you like to release some more countries?

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Aw man, my save games got borked in my latest game. I was playing the Whole World mod as Cascadia, a nation you can only form by colinizing the northwestern american coast and then activating a decision. I had loads of fun unifying north american and had grown to be by far the most powerful nation in the world.

Now to find a different challenge. Maybe I should for once try to actually unify europe. Or perhaps play a small wealthy nation and focus on keeping it divided, using politics and surgical wars to prevent blobs from forming. So many choices!

Vic on
  • Options
    MachismoMachismo Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So I just installed Victoria and the addon. Any suggestions to good guides or walkthroughs to get me started? I know EU3 pretty well so most of mechanics, I am familiar with.

Machismo on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I don't think there's really a good tutorial anywhere. The US is hard to screw up with and will familiarize you with most of the important bits, I think. It's a ridiculously complex game.

EDIT: For a slightly less all powerful start, Brazil works fairly well. You have to train up some capitalists to get industry going and what not, which is a good thing to learn.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I got HoI3 a while back. It is a surprisingly boring game.

HamHamJ on
    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    The other epic all four games LP from SA finally got archived. I haven't read it before, but it tended to be highly appreciated in Wiz's thread.

Jerusalem

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Castille is first, whenever they get to government 9 and adopt QftNW (I think it's their second, might be the third at 11) so around 1490 or so. They tend to aim for Mexico and various bits of the Caribbean. England follows with either their third or fourth national idea, France fourth or fifth I think. Eventually other people show up if there's stuff left, with the Scandinavians being the most likely, I think.

You forgetting Portugal? At least in most all my games those fuckers have most of Central and South America colonized before anyone else even starts sending ships across the Atlantic.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Axen wrote: »

You forgetting Portugal? At least in most all my games those fuckers have most of Central and South America colonized before anyone else even starts sending ships across the Atlantic.

He was Portugal, so that problem is removed. They have a huge advantage if Castille doesn't just crush them instantly.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    Suicide SlydeSuicide Slyde Haunts your dreams of mountains sunk below the seaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The other epic all four games LP from SA finally got archived. I haven't read it before, but it tended to be highly appreciated in Wiz's thread.

Jerusalem

I would just like to thank you for posting this. I work in a college and it's damn slow this time of year, this at least has given me something to pass the time with. Plus the fact that it reads quickly and doesn't concentrate on minutiae makes it far more entertaining and readable.

Also, this thread as a whole has made me go back and look at PI games again. However, I just re-purchased the Total War series so I at least want to get back to that before I dive into these games again.

Suicide Slyde on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    So I currently have the the worst King (in EU3) I've ever seen. First, he was illegitimate, so problems to begin with. He's got no legitimacy, and no one will marry into my dynasty anymore because we're huge and evil and globe spanning (oops). Then the total of his stats is 10, so my diplomacy sucks even more at the moment, and we can't do any of the fun things. Then he couldn't produce a legitimate heir so the next King is going to have similar problems (but at least he's got better stats). And lastly: he won't die. The stubborn bastard has been on the throne for nearly 30 years.

EDIT: Still not dead, inexplicably named Holy Roman Emperor, despite single handedly removing half the empire from membership (which I'm now furiously re-adding).

EDIT2: 39 damn years that asshole ruled. Though considering he added half of Spain, Canada, Italy, and the East Indies he didn't suck THAT bad, at least according to history.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

Jerusalem

That thing was really funny in places. Like the part about the prince who due to a bug was his own rival, twice. Later he challenges himself to a duel. Whoever wins, he loses. I am really tempted to buy Crusader Kings, I have a craving for EU3 but I feel like I have played every possible campaign in that game. I just find it hard to spend the money they take for a game this old, especially since Victoria 2 might be coming soon.

Vic on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Stupid HRE member states won't vote for my resolutions. I want to unify the HRE so I only have to actually conquer Spain (well...Portugal/Galicia/Navarre/Papal State/Castille/Granada/Aragon) and England (um...Scotland/Wales/England/The Netherlands (capital of Wessex!)/Cornwall/Ireland) to take Europe too.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    FerrusFerrus Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The part of the Jerusalem AAR where that italian guy tries to bed the queen, gets exiled and then comes back and tries again was fantastic. Was it a bug or does the game really work that way?

Ferrus on
    I would like to pause for a moment, to talk about my penis.
    My penis is like a toddler. A toddler—who is a perfectly normal size for his age—on a long road trip to what he thinks is Disney World. My penis is excited because he hasn’t been to Disney World in a long, long time, but remembers a time when he used to go every day. So now the penis toddler is constantly fidgeting, whining “Are we there yet? Are we there yet? How about now? Now? How about... now?”
    And Disney World is nowhere in sight.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I don't tend to notice, but it should be possible. The guy dueling with himself was definitely a bug.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    bamjobamjo Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I love Crusader Kings, but the game is fundamentally broken. Every game if you play it long enough becomes too huge for the software to handle. It tracks every single character in every kingdom, so a few hundred years of nobility breeding like rabbits makes the game slow down and get crashy. It is a unique gem though.

bamjo on
  • Options
    YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Didn't see this thread for a long time....

Took Portugal to around 1560 on my first game (httT), then played Japan through about 1700 to learn how westernization works, now I'm Venice trying to take Italy, which involves lots of waiting for badboy to go down. I agree with whoever said that one of the tricks to this game is knowing when to do nothing. It's weird thinking back to how much time I spent playing that game - 100+ hours - and realizing I spent all that time just playing three games.

Now I've got the itch again a bit, but I'll probably wait for Victoria 2.

Yougottawanna on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Just started a game as Ethopia in EU3; incredibly daunting experience knowing the AI could swat me down at any time.

The Fourth Estate on
  • Options
    Michael HMichael H Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Oooh... East India Company (Paradox Published, Nitro Developed) is on sale on Steam. Any experiences?

edit: Looks like all Paradox-published games are 50% off on Steam. Not too shabby!

Michael H on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Just started a game as Ethopia in EU3; incredibly daunting experience knowing the AI could swat me down at any time.

I tried this once, but got bored after I realised how long it would take me to fully westernize and achieve any decent level of power. A hint, it might be a good idea to vassalise your weaker muslim neighbour and then sell off your province bordering to the Mamluks to him. That will prevent the Mamluks from having the Holy War causus belli on you, which only leaves the nations on the Arabic peninsula to threaten you.

Vic on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Vic wrote: »

I tried this once, but got bored after I realised how long it would take me to fully westernize and achieve any decent level of power. A hint, it might be a good idea to vassalise your weaker muslim mation and then sell off your province bordering to the Mamluks to him. That will prevent the Mamluks from having the Holy War causus belli on you, which only leaves the nations on the Arabic peninsula to threaten you.

I've done that; focusing on converting as many provinces as possible so I don't get any forced conversions from the inevitable westernisation rebellions.

Currently weighing up the 4 stab hit for changing to tribal federation.

The Fourth Estate on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    It still annoys me how they took a huge step backwards in making non-european nations playable in HttT by adding in all the tribal events. Succession crisis I could live with, but huge rebel stacks spawning just because you have not been at war with anybody lately (which is particularily hilarious if there is no nation to attack, if you are playing for example the Inca) are absolutely infuriating without the ability to build forts. In my opinion the american and african nations went from incredibly challenging to almost entirely unplayable.

Vic on
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Hey, guys!

Apparently, both Steam and Impulse are having Paradox sales. Support your DD platform of choice!

So, Commander: Conquest of the Americas. Talk to me about this upcoming release. Is this the more realistic Pirates! I've been waiting for?

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Vic wrote: »
    It still annoys me how they took a huge step backwards in making non-european nations playable in HttT by adding in all the tribal events. Succession crisis I could live with, but huge rebel stacks spawning just because you have not been at war with anybody lately (which is particularily hilarious if there is no nation to attack, if you are playing for example the Inca) are absolutely infuriating without the ability to build forts. In my opinion the american and african nations went from incredibly challenging to almost entirely unplayable.

I'm in HttT. Looking forward to those events now. Are the rebels negotiable?

The Fourth Estate on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Why is there no casus belli for "Hey, you've been supporting revolts in my colonies for two fucking decades, I would like to utterly destroy you now!" Fucking Tuscany. And the Pope.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Hey, guys!

Apparently, both Steam and Impulse are having Paradox sales. Support your DD platform of choice!

So, Commander: Conquest of the Americas. Talk to me about this upcoming release. Is this the more realistic Pirates! I've been waiting for?

Damn.

BotPed.

Also - Majesty Gold or Majesty 2? Discuss.

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    What. The. Hell.

I just had a pretender revolt in Eu3. 4,000 African Speamen led by a 2 shock general. No problem. I wheel my 8,000 African Spearmen with a 3 shock general down to meet them. They attack me. I lose.

With my modified shock roll of 10. Against their -3. This army continues to defeat larger better led armies across my entire country till he becomes king. During this campaign several other equally sized regiments rise up in revolt. And lose to my troops. But this regiment is invincible.

I am unbeliveably frustrated. Why the hell wouldn't they die? I can't understand.

EDIT: And it happens again. African Pretender Rebels are seemingly invincible, regardless of the general's quality.

The Fourth Estate on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    If they do take over usually they only want a slider move or two and you get a free army out of it. That one long-ass Ashanti AAR benefited from getting a pretender revolt early on in the game.

Yougottawanna on
  • Options
    PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

Almost certainly not. But Sea Dogs still works.

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    If they do take over usually they only want a slider move or two and you get a free army out of it. That one long-ass Ashanti AAR benefited from getting a pretender revolt early on in the game.

Pretender rebels can't be negotiated with. I wouldn't mind if pretenders taking over didn't absolutely hammer my legitimacy (went from 100 to 10).

The Fourth Estate on
  • Options
    PerduraboPerdurabo Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    You know, I look through the forums, and I see threads like this, and let's plays for Silent Hunter, and I realise why I love PC gaming. There are games, that may not sell like MW2, but are catered for diverse groups and are successful.

Carry on folks.

Perdurabo on
  • Options
    MachismoMachismo Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Hey, guys!

Damn.

BotPed.

Also - Majesty Gold or Majesty 2? Discuss.

Commander: Conquest of the Americas looks amazing. It does sound like a very fun form of Colonization mixed with some Pirates.

I am pretty sure it is more Colonization since it focuses on the European powers rather than the individual captain/admiral/etc.

Combat seems to be controlled from the deck of a ship, which could be daunting, but interesting. The strategic view looks very much like Empire: Total War, so that should be easy to grasp.

I just want a demo.

Machismo on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010

Pretender rebels can't be negotiated with. I wouldn't mind if pretenders taking over didn't absolutely hammer my legitimacy (went from 100 to 10).

Whoops what kind of rebels was I thinking of then? Nevermind.

Yougottawanna on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

Whoops what kind of rebels was I thinking of then? Nevermind.

Particularists?

enlightenedbum on