As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Paradox Interactive] Divine Wind finally on Steam, NEW HoI3 expansion announced

• Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    Oh I'm saying should hypothetically. I know it doesn't work like that.

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

You know the most frustrating thing about Iron Man? It's cases like the Cherokee, where I play for 200 years and realize that a decision I made 100 years previous is the death of me. I'm going to retry the Cherokee, but with trying to switch to Noble Republic ASAP to avoid the lolprimative CB. Yay for replaying a boring 100 years casually annexing my neighbors and waiting for tech to slowly tick up.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    Shadowhope wrote: »
    You know what bothers me about the game, it isn't the rebels. It's the peace treaties.

Let's looks at my England game. I started that game by immediately giving France four provinces, just keeping Calais for myself. I was thinking that I had got myself out of that French mess. Then France promptly declares war on me again five years later. They eat Brittany and take all of its provinces, destroy my armies in the field. They can't get to Calais because of the Big Red Blob in the way. They're at 20% war score, I'm willing to give them my cores, they want me to release Scotland. So, we sit there for a while.

And sit there.

And sit there.

I tried a few more landings, and I got down to -66% warscore.

France gets a little more insistent with their demands. Release not just Scotland, but also Cornwall, and Ulster, and pay them all of the money.

I sit back, blockade their ports, let my manpower fully retore itself. I build up a hefty force, with army funding set to minimum. I fund rebels in France. And the French slowly start to crumble. When I see that they're struggling with rebels, I attack. I swat down their army. Burgundy and Aragon join in with their own wars. I siege down all of their provinces. The peace gives me back all my cores (I sell the southern ones to Aragon), frees Brittany, frees other nations as well. Suddenly France is down to five provinces.

If they were willing to be reasonable earlier, this could have been prevented.
    I know you were trying to make us feel like this is something that bothers you, but the way it reads it instead comes across as really awesome. But I think that's mostly just you being awesome in a bleah situation.

What I want: rename and recolor your own nation

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    I think I'll try the native american nations with that mod that tries to fill in the gaps with all the correct tribes rather than just leaving it as empty space. Stuff like there being no one in Western Java for some reason is super weird.

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    The Sauce wrote: »
    You know what bothers me about the game, it isn't the rebels. It's the peace treaties.

Let's looks at my England game. I started that game by immediately giving France four provinces, just keeping Calais for myself. I was thinking that I had got myself out of that French mess. Then France promptly declares war on me again five years later. They eat Brittany and take all of its provinces, destroy my armies in the field. They can't get to Calais because of the Big Red Blob in the way. They're at 20% war score, I'm willing to give them my cores, they want me to release Scotland. So, we sit there for a while.

And sit there.

And sit there.

France gets a little more insistent with their demands. Release not just Scotland, but also Cornwall, and Ulster, and pay them all of the money.

I sit back, blockade their ports, let my manpower fully retore itself. I build up a hefty force, with army funding set to minimum. I fund rebels in France. And the French slowly start to crumble. When I see that they're struggling with rebels, I attack. I swat down their army. Burgundy and Aragon join in with their own wars. I siege down all of their provinces. The peace gives me back all my cores (I sell the southern ones to Aragon), frees Brittany, frees other nations as well. Suddenly France is down to five provinces.

I know you were trying to make us feel like this is something that bothers you, but the way it reads it instead comes across as really awesome. But I think that's mostly just you being awesome in a bleah situation.

I wish that you could recolor your demesne and chose its CoA in CK2......

• Options
    edited September 2013
    The Sauce wrote: »

And sit there.

And sit there.

Well, here's the not-awesome side of it: playing as Cherokee, attacked by France or Spain or Portugal. I have no money. They insist on driving warscore up to 100% so they can get an admit defeat from me. Unless they have borders with me they don't seem to want provinces. I sit through a pointless invasion.

I can't wait to get my revenge.

Shadowhope on
    Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    You know the most frustrating thing about Iron Man? It's cases like the Cherokee, where I play for 200 years and realize that a decision I made 100 years previous is the death of me. I'm going to retry the Cherokee, but with trying to switch to Noble Republic ASAP to avoid the lolprimative CB. Yay for replaying a boring 100 years casually annexing my neighbors and waiting for tech to slowly tick up.

Does it make more sense to put everything into ideas since you're crippled to such an extent with techs?

I want to start a NA tribe game and I'm not sure what the best way to go is.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Except... you need techs to get ideas

• Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    and the way neighbor bonus works means you'll get at best 25% off.

Like if you're crimea and genoa is still hanging around to give you a border getting ideas to get to the -8 techs faster might be a good idea, but it isn't a good idea to ever be more than 8 techs behind.

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    Yeah.

My goal right now as Cherokee is to get Economic Ideas fully unlocked, giving me a reduction in building cost, less interest, inflation reduction, more advisors, and more tax income, as well as other benefits. That should help a lot when I'm recovering from the lolprimative wars against me. It also triggers events that provide a lot of stability and administrative points. I'll switch to Noble Republic, and then unlock Exploration. I'll try to expand via colonization. I'm hoping that I can either westernize peacefully and conquer a Christian province, allow it to revolt, and then accept the rebel Christian demands for a new state religion, or that I can accept a religious conversion as a defeat condition if a Christian nation DOWs me. Or maybe I'll get an event. Here's hoping. Ideally, I'll take Plutocracy as my third ideas group, and then westernize. Hopefully, the bonuses that it provides will help me catch up.

That's my current long term plan.

So much can go wrong. When I'm more familiar with the game I might come up with a better plan. For now, this is the best strategy I can think of.

• Options
    OK.

The clock is running down on me, it's 1777. I've taken about half of the 13 colonies, France still has the others. I'm way behind in manpower, admin tech and diplo tech, but I'm two (maybe about to be three) ahead in military tech. Colonies are cheap in victory settlements. I am 100% sure that if I wasn't on Ironman I could do this. On Ironman, I'm going to need a wee bit of luck...

• Options
    abotkinabotkin Registered User regular
    @Shadowhope, have you had any luck? I tried the Cherokee out a couple of times during breaks from my Spain game that I'm just absolutely dominating in, but I've had terrible luck. I need to just push on with my latest game and see how it goes, but it's incredibly demoralizing to have one of the big european powers come in and just utterly crush you in a war.

I've been attempting a different strategy though, focusing on colonization as a priority, so I'm still working with the horrible government type. In my last attempt, I thought I was almost going to have it, I was only 2 provinces away from securing all of the 13 colony coast, but France came in and grabbed one before I could get my range up enough or something closer cored. I was really hoping I could just have all the land needed and then try for a quick westernization, but France decided to ruin my day.

steam_sig.png
    3DS: 0963-0539-4405
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    abotkin wrote: »
    @Shadowhope, have you had any luck? I tried the Cherokee out a couple of times during breaks from my Spain game that I'm just absolutely dominating in, but I've had terrible luck. I need to just push on with my latest game and see how it goes, but it's incredibly demoralizing to have one of the big european powers come in and just utterly crush you in a war.

I've been attempting a different strategy though, focusing on colonization as a priority, so I'm still working with the horrible government type. In my last attempt, I thought I was almost going to have it, I was only 2 provinces away from securing all of the 13 colony coast, but France came in and grabbed one before I could get my range up enough or something closer cored. I was really hoping I could just have all the land needed and then try for a quick westernization, but France decided to ruin my day.

I fell just short in my attempt. The last few colonies were held by England in my game, and they turned out to be made of much sterner stuff than France. My 45k stack was lured in to fight a 30k stack and then the Limey's dropped another 60k on the battle.

My current project is te Byzantine Empire. Once you get rolling there it's amazing. So many cores. Two multiple fronts to expand on, so you can keep aggressive relations penalties to a minimum. Rich, rich provinces, many of which have grain - you can never have too much grain. I destroyed te Ottoman's, and it felt so good.

Shadowhope on
  • Options
    The problem with Cherokee is it is literally boring enough that you can fall asleep playing.

I know, I did so last night and woke up to find that the Shawnee had managed to declare independence, I had lost a war to Portugal with no real consequences, and nothing really interesting had happened.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    Yeah, alright. The game desperately needs a rebalancing of rebels. There's rebellions all over for me, number in the hundreds of thousands, spawning 20k+ stacks from provinces that wouldn't support them, while stability is at 3 and I don't have any reason to have a rebel risk in these places. It feels like an extremely gamey way to prevent me from expanding, when I have to play whack-a-mole with rebels all the time.

• Options
    Rhan9 wrote: »
    Yeah, alright. The game desperately needs a rebalancing of rebels. There's rebellions all over for me, number in the hundreds of thousands, spawning 20k+ stacks from provinces that wouldn't support them, while stability is at 3 and I don't have any reason to have a rebel risk in these places. It feels like an extremely gamey way to prevent me from expanding, when I have to play whack-a-mole with rebels all the time.

Pfft, the war is now over and so massively successful that you claimed huge tracts of land, now everyone revolts because of... happiness!

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Phyphor wrote: »

Pfft, the war is now over and so massively successful that you claimed huge tracts of land, now everyone revolts because of... happiness!

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance.

• Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    I'm pleased that EU4 has at least a few "wow, I'm a terrible person for doing this" mechanics, as that was CK2's specialty and it's good(?) to see the tradition kept up.

It started crossing my mind when I noticed that one of my main sources of income in my Castile game involved keeping the other colonial powers away from the North and South American nations. I was overrunning them about once every 15-20 years, not to actually take territory, but simply to demand the spaingeld from them to boost my treasury by 1-3K apiece.

"Huh, this is doing wonders for my economy. ...Wait. I'm evil."

• Options
    Zibblsnrt wrote: »
    I'm pleased that EU4 has at least a few "wow, I'm a terrible person for doing this" mechanics, as that was CK2's specialty and it's good(?) to see the tradition kept up.

It started crossing my mind when I noticed that one of my main sources of income in my Castile game involved keeping the other colonial powers away from the North and South American nations. I was overrunning them about once every 15-20 years, not to actually take territory, but simply to demand the spaingeld from them to boost my treasury by 1-3K apiece.

"Huh, this is doing wonders for my economy. ...Wait. I'm evil."

Unfortunately, that's the best way to go about it currently too. Overseas gold is hit by the standard tariff reduction of -85%, so it makes much more sense to leave those provinces with their original owners and then just loot them every time they amass a decent amount.

I saw several people on the official forum mentioning that it's a known issue and should be addressed, but I couldn't find a bug report in the forum that had an official response, so that may or may not actually be something that will change.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I doubt it will change. The real megabucks with colonies is in trade.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    I think that Byzantium has been by far my favorite country so far. In terms of muscle, it can hold it's own against Russia or France or Spain or England. And it's got swagger.

• Options
    Yeah eating kongo and aztec and mali gold will make you rich, but steering the indian trade past those parts will make you far, far richer.

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    I think that Byzantium has been by far my favorite country so far. In terms of muscle, it can hold it's own against Russia or France or Spain or England. And it's got swagger.

Purple swagger.

• Options

Purple swagger.
    What's huge and purple and makes the women of Cairo, Warsaw and Wien scream?

The Byzantine Empire.

That game eventually slowed down, where Austria, Poland and the Mamluk's formed a coalition against me that just wouldn't go away. The Mamluk's were at permanent -200 from border friction, Austria kept defending the HRE and Poland kept defending the Catholic faith. Poland had swelled to France-like proportions, with really tough nasty troops. I ended up fighting a lot of 108k vs 88k kinds of battles, which was cool, but expensive. And northern Italy was all 5-strength forts that took years to siege down. The game ended in a painful crawl.

I think that I'm going to go for something quieter next time. Smaller scale. Maybe Naples. Or Scotland. Make my goal to avoid being swallowed by one of the great powers.

• Options
    My BYZ game also had a humongous Poland. Basically more than twice as big as the Poland-Lithuania was historically at its largest.

• Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    My BYZ game also had a humongous Poland. Basically more than twice as big as the Poland-Lithuania was historically at its largest.

Poland in my current game has Baltic and Black Sea ports and the second-largest army in the world. (The Russians have more manpower, but they can't put much of quality in the field.) They're the main counterweight to France in Europe.

It's shaping out to be a neat situation in terms of the great power politics - Europe's turning into two big power blocs led by France and Sweden on one side, and Poland and Spain on the other. All the minor powers are firmly in one of those camps, and the middle level powers - Britain, whoever runs southern Italy this week, etc. - are either constantly being courted by one side or the other or else are staying very carefully out of the way.

So far they're evenly matched, too. Two major wars in about a 30 year period, each of which ended with one side getting significant but not hugely decisive wins.

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    i just started playing Crusader Kings 2 and i have a question...

i started a plot to assassinate a guy who tried to usurp my title. The plot's power is above 400% and pretty much everyone wants the bastard dead... How do i close the deal?

• Options
    Just wait a bit

• Options
    your buddies will be the ones who decide when the deed is done

• Options
    finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    Oh CKII. How I loved eliminating entire dynasties with assassination plots. How I hated having to cheese the Timmies with my bridge of 2000 ships.

Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Thanks.

i ended up getting really impatient and fed up with the vassal constantly stabbing me in the back and just usurped his title and kicked his ass in a war, like i kicked his father's ass years before.

• Options
    Holy crap, he pulled it off. Someone just finished up an ironman playthrough of Ryukyu where he got the Three Mountain achievement. He didn't mod the game at all, but he did take advantage of every helpful broken mechanic that he could.

Check it out. There's even a bunch of devs congratulating him, one mentioned that there was some debate between the devs on whether a world conquest was even achievable.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Zibblsnrt wrote: »

Poland in my current game has Baltic and Black Sea ports and the second-largest army in the world. (The Russians have more manpower, but they can't put much of quality in the field.) They're the main counterweight to France in Europe.

It's shaping out to be a neat situation in terms of the great power politics - Europe's turning into two big power blocs led by France and Sweden on one side, and Poland and Spain on the other. All the minor powers are firmly in one of those camps, and the middle level powers - Britain, whoever runs southern Italy this week, etc. - are either constantly being courted by one side or the other or else are staying very carefully out of the way.

So far they're evenly matched, too. Two major wars in about a 30 year period, each of which ended with one side getting significant but not hugely decisive wins.

Poland can put out an amazing army if they can get rolling. From national ideas they get +10 Discipline, +.33 Morale, +33% cavalry combat ability, +10% infantry combat ability - that matches up well against just about everyone.

The EU4 wiki guide on Poland is incredible. Read all of these quotes with a thick Polish accent:
    Word of warning. Before going into war check if TO didn’t form alliance with Bohemia and Hungary. AI tend to be smart that way.
    Building Empire is not cheap. Soldiers cost. Ships cost. Advisors cost ( a lot).
    Poland is most western country out of eastern tech group.
    Second thing you have to do is less complicated. Go to China and conquer Shanghai.

• Options
    My Poland game has gotten interesting.

I decided to Westernize right from the start, figuring that at the time I had no real enemies, Lithuania covering my flank and a whole lot of integrating vassals to do. I got the rebel hunter mission twice, and westernizing was a breeze. The only problem was that I emerged from it still at 3 military tech, thanks to having taken a military idea. So, my game plan became to sit around making buildings and waiting to catch up in terms of military tech. I flipped to Protestant, because Protestants are OP. I was allied with a few HRE members, and I duitifully joined their wars and stayed home.

And while I was sitting there, I was elected Emperor.

I'm in the early 1600s now, and I'm getting really close to finalizing the reform that'll guarantee I stay in power. France is toast; they tried to help Sardinia in a war, and though they outnumbered me they split up their armies. I grouped up my armies, destroyed their stacks, and never let them recover. I kept the war going long enough to push up their war exhaustion, prevent them from dealing with rebels, and allowing others to pile in on them. France has about four provinces now, scattered around France. I just kicked Russia's ass to the curb. I think that the Russian winter killed more troops than actual Russians did. The Ottoman's are scary looking, but I have more troops, higher quality troops, 90+ tradition generals, and comparable manpower reserves - plus, the Ottomans are expanding to the south-east.

I have not had to core anything. My only offensive war on my own behalf was to vassalize the TO. I keep forcing everyone else to release nations. I'm throwing my gold into building improvements, and that's given me the manpowered to match the Ottoman's and Russians and a tough line of forts around my territory. I have eight royal marriages on the go, and thanks to bonuses I'm not over my max relations.

And that brings me back to the really crazy thing about this game: for the first time in a Paradox game, I'm not being evil. The only covert action I'm taking is to support freedom fighters. I go to war to support my allies, or to liberate those that I have a duty to. I'm taking decisions that are for the most part to the benefit of my people. All of my territory expansion has been on firm legal grounds.

This whole not being evil stuff is strange.

• Options
    abotkin wrote: »
    Holy crap, he pulled it off. Someone just finished up an ironman playthrough of Ryukyu where he got the Three Mountain achievement. He didn't mod the game at all, but he did take advantage of every helpful broken mechanic that he could.

Check it out. There's even a bunch of devs congratulating him, one mentioned that there was some debate between the devs on whether a world conquest was even achievable.

Motherfucker. I've got an Ironman Ryukyu game going, but I've only managed to take over 30% of the Americas, and South-East Asia so far. Shit be tough, yo.

• Options
    I wonder if that will be the rarest non-broken achievement on Steam.

My Poland game continues. It took longer than expected to get up to automatic reelection, and now I'm slowly struggling towards the declaration to vassalize everyone. On the bright side, I'm invincible on the field. I'm keeping two 45k stacks, and I group them up to take out any enemy doom stacks. The Ottoman's managed to catch one of my stacks on its own at one point, and I still easily won that battle despite being slightly outnumbered. The score lists Spain as #1 militarily, but that's because they have eight generals - I'm kicking their ass in every other way.

I forced the Ottoman's to release Hungary's cores; Hungary had been down to two provinces, and I basically fully restored them. Then Hungary ended up in a war against me. Austria, who was leading the war, agreed with me that Hungary's actions and attitude were total bullshit and gave me most of Hungary in the peace settlement.

I'm now starting to expand, because every province I add gives me +1.25% Imperial authority, and Gpd knows I need it.

• Options
    Oh its broken. Did you see the stuff he had to do to pull it off? Massive exploiting going on

• Options
    Phyphor wrote: »
    Oh its broken. Did you see the stuff he had to do to pull it off? Massive exploiting going on

Oh, I recognize that exploits were used heavily. What I'm saying is that it's not as if the achievement itself is broken so that no matter what you do you can't get it.

• Options
    edited September 2013
    Well sure, but we'll see if it's still possible even after the patches

Phyphor on
  • Options
    Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    He had 50 years to spare. His worst exploit was the money loop he used to crash Ming at the beginning. There are probably other ways to pull it off.

Most of them would just require a lot more luck, probably, so you'd have tons of restarting and repeating...

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting