Options

[Paradox Interactive] Divine Wind finally on Steam, NEW HoI3 expansion announced

• Options
    SonelanSonelan Registered User regular
    Anyone have a tip for playing as Venice? I can keep myself alive but there really doesn't seem to be anywhere to expand to. pretty much all my italian neighbors are part of the HRE and hence if i attack austria comes and stomps my head in but austria and switzerland are to the north and hungary and the ottomans are to the east so i am feeling kinda boxed in.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    YogoYogo Registered User regular
    Pomeranian game went to shits. Poland managed to reform the faith, which was good, but my king was too old to be able to change the succession laws to something else than gavelkin. My heir was a zealous old believer and upon the kings death, the two kingdoms (Pomerian and Lithuania) was split up.

Can't convert as long as my current ruler is alive or loses the zealous trait. Gah!

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Man Prussian ideas are so good.

Sooo good

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    Attacking Morocco just never ends well

• Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular

Got to get your hands on that prime desert real estate somehow.

1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    They went full defensive ideas and were allied with the Ottomans.

My offensive ideas countered the attrition, but the Ottomans had so many guys. I wanted to grab Tangiers and Ceuta to get more power in the trade node.

• Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular

I stomped all over Morocco in a couple years, and made them a vassal. No problem.

• Options
    In my game, France made the Inca convert to Catholicism, so now they hold pretty much all their starting land and are also sitting on a 25,000 gold treasury.

• Options
    Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    In my game, France made the Inca convert to Catholicism, so now they hold pretty much all their starting land and are also sitting on a 25,000 gold treasury.
    Time to save, reload, and play the Incas!

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    So I loaded into that game. Westernizing is pretty much impossible. Pretty much every event you get drops stability, even ones that aren't related to westernizing.
    And the guy I dropped into was actually a really really good king and he still couldn't save it. It seems the idea is to basically to get ideas that lower stability cost, load up on gold, stack your advisors with stability lowers etc etc. My big issue with the Inca nation in that game was that they had like 35% inflation and rising so everything cost a gorillion dollars to maintain

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    All the gold mines!

• Options
    Yeah, the AI wasn't keeping tabs on it and let it go out of control.

Anyways, none of the shit above would bother me much if Westernizing was always ticking upwards, but its not. If you're 0 or below, you get no points, so even if you farm points, spam up to +3, you need to maintain that for a long time and hope you don't get a bunch of -1 stab events in a row (you will)

• Options
    Well, there are only 3 events (I think) that are a guaranteed drop. Comet, the offensive/defensive one (come on, there isn't even a slider you can have in the middle anymore, why's that still there?), and a leader death. The other ones, you are supposed to take the penalty instead of the stability hit. Westernization is not impossible, and generally takes what, 50 years? Its not that rough, but it might not be worth it, either. It basically boils down to: do you need Western Troops because France or Spain are knocking at the door?

1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    Nope, theres a bunch more too. Plus westernization has its own events that are lose-stab-or-monarch-points

• Options
    There are many events where you lose no matter what you chose. You basically sit at -3 and hope that you can get events where you can pick losing stability instead of prestige or legitimacy.

And no, you don't progress on Westernization if you're below 0 stability

• Options
    Phyphor wrote: »
    Nope, theres a bunch more too. Plus westernization has its own events that are lose-stab-or-monarch-points

Yeah, but you just take the monarch points hit. They are all -100 diplo or military. I've only ever once seen one that lost admin, and it was only 25 points.

1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    Apparently, more people have restored the Roman Empire than have gotten Poland to full tech. I think that that makes Poland Can Into Space the most obscure Steam achievement I've gotten.

I tried to get the Japan achievement the other day, but was thwarted by Iron Man. I conquered about 70% of Japan, and then the Emperor started to annex me. When I rebelled and squashed him, I automatically became Emperor, meaning i was unable to get the achievement. I'll have to watch for that in future attempts.

I can't decide if I want to try for that next or for knocking out a couple as Spain - I'm thinking Isn't This The Way To India, No Pirates In My Caribbean, and maybe Aggressive Expander. I figure that if I focus on unlocking all the colonists I can via my first few Ideas I can rack up of a lot of holdings very quickly.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    I can't even seem to get achievements, does the game care if I've edited the settings file to get windowed mode?

Also I've got to say that playing as Savoy is quite fun. It's a whole lot of nervousness playing major powers against France, Austria and Venice (in my game I helped them blob up by taking out Austria). I think the coalitions feature could use some work though. as since the country that starts the war is the war leader it's often the case that a small, defenseless country will become the war leader and submit to crippling terms on my behalf. I really do not want to lose Liguria because Salzburg can't get their shit together against Venice.

Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    I think for my next trick, I'm gonna try the Three Mountains cheevo.

EDIT: Tried that, fuggeddaboutit

Rhan9 on
  • Options
    finnith wrote: »
    I can't even seem to get achievements, does the game care if I've edited the settings file to get windowed mode?

Also I've got to say that playing as Savoy is quite fun. It's a whole lot of nervousness playing major powers against France, Austria and Venice (in my game I helped them blob up by taking out Austria). I think the coalitions feature could use some work though. as since the country that starts the war is the war leader it's often the case that a small, defenseless country will become the war leader and submit to crippling terms on my behalf. I really do not want to lose Liguria because Salzburg can't get their shit together against Venice.

The game cares, it recognizes that you've modded it.

I got Italian Ambition as Savoy. I actually allied with Austria, and it worked out pretty well for me. France kept going to war, and it got the stuffing beat out of it every time. Every time I signed a treaty with them I kept making them return cores, so into the 1600s England has Normandy, despite having lost it multiple times.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Urrgh, I don't see why EUIV doesn't offer windowed mode out of the box. Then again, it took them until now to decide to have a load game feature, and it's still fifty times slower than exiting to the main menu and reloading a save.

Now that I've pretty much unified the peninsula I'm kind of unsure what to do as my next steps. I got a Thirty-Years War notification and joined the Catholic league but nothing's happened yet.

e: I suppose it's cause Austria is pretty much dead in my game. Historically I guess the war was over Protestantism in HRE and amongst the Electors/Emperor but as the largest HRE Catholic member (myself) and the largest HRE Protestant member (Bohemia) are allies there isn't much conflict, especially since Austria is an OPM. I suppose there is only one left to do then...

finnith on
    Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
  • Options
    MyiagrosMyiagros Registered User regular
    The War of the Vikings Alpha is up right now. It's the "sequel" to War of the Roses and looks pretty good. If you are interested in signing up please use my link: http://signup.warofthevikings.com/r/dorylvpf39

If 5 people use your signup link you get auto access to the Alpha and I would assume Beta.

iRevert wrote: »
    Because if you're going to attempt to squeeze that big black monster into your slot you will need to be able to take at least 12 inches or else you're going to have a bad time...
    Steam: MyiagrosX27
  • Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    I never linked the tech system in EU. I don't feel it realistically portrays the world at the time, nor does it accurately portray "Westernization"

• Options
    edited August 2013
    I never linked the tech system in EU. I don't feel it realistically portrays the world at the time, nor does it accurately portray "Westernization"

Well, the way it worked in EU 3, where tech was tied heavily to trade and prosperity was actually very realistic.

Otherwise, its all an abstraction. From what I've heard, Westernization is supposed to represent the reforms of Peter I of Russia, not stuff like the Meiji Restoration, which out of the frame of the game anyway.

It is a game, though, yes. Not a simulator of internal management. Otherwise, playing as France would be a nightmare and you would barely have time to worry about anything outside your own borders. In the Early Modern period, most European states were in the process of ruthless internal centralization. Stuff like the colonization of the Americas and conquest of parts of India were almost private ventures. The way tech, and particularly logistics work, are extremely anachronistic, for gameplay purposes. In reality, about 90% of your soldiers would die of disease if people pulled half the shit you can do in EU in real life. But I don't think many people would find that particularly fun. I hate those comet events enough as is.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    I just tried playing a game as the Aztecs, which went about as could have been expected. I got admin tech 4 at around 1540, and started colonizing like mad while keeping Spain and Portugal as happy as possible with my diplomats. When I finally got a colony bordering Portugal in order to start westernizing though, war became inevitable. I tried reloading the save a few times, and each time they declared war within 6 months despite being at 100ish positive opinion. Of course, France and Spain joined in on their side and made the war a cruel joke.

I'm curious if it is at all possible to westernize without being murdered by the great colonials, has anyone else tried it? The only thing I can think of that I could have done better is getting a ship across the atlantic to discover one of their rival to get the relationship bonus that brings.

It also seems like catching up in technology will be barely possible, considering how neighbour tech bonus seems to work.

Vic on
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    I honestly wouldn't mind the comets if they affected everyone in the world at the same time, matched up to historical comets, and if they sometimes gave positives. For example, a comet within three months of inheriting the throne? +1 stability and a free CB on a neighbor.

Shadowhope on
  • Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular

Well, the way it worked in EU 3, where tech was tied heavily to trade and prosperity was actually very realistic.

Otherwise, its all an abstraction. From what I've heard, Westernization is supposed to represent the reforms of Peter I of Russia, not stuff like the Meiji Restoration, which out of the frame of the game anyway.

It is a game, though, yes. Not a simulator of internal management. Otherwise, playing as France would be a nightmare and you would barely have time to worry about anything outside your own borders. In the Early Modern period, most European states were in the process of ruthless internal centralization. Stuff like the colonization of the Americas and conquest of parts of India were almost private ventures. The way tech, and particularly logistics work, are extremely anachronistic, for gameplay purposes. In reality, about 90% of your soldiers would die of disease if people pulled half the shit you can do in EU in real life. But I don't think many people would find that particularly fun. I hate those comet events enough as is.

I just seems to play along with the idea that the rise of the European kingdoms to become the first global powers was set in stone by 1400. I would be fun (to me) to see stuff like a colonial Turkey/China/Japan.

• Options
    Vic wrote: »
    I just tried playing a game as the Aztecs, which went about as could have been expected. I got admin tech 4 at around 1540, and started colonizing like mad while keeping Spain and Portugal as happy as possible with my diplomats. When I finally got a colony bordering Portugal in order to start westernizing though, war became inevitable. I tried reloading the save a few times, and each time they declared war within 6 months despite being at 100ish positive opinion. Of course, France and Spain joined in on their side and made the war a cruel joke.

I'm curious if it is at all possible to westernize without being murdered by the great colonials, has anyone else tried it? The only thing I can think of that I could have done better is getting a ship across the atlantic to discover one of their rival to get the relationship bonus that brings.

It also seems like catching up in technology will be barely possible, considering how neighbour tech bonus seems to work.

Yeah catching up is going to be super hard, but you should be able to get kinda close

• Options
    FellhandFellhand Registered User regular
    Rhan9 wrote: »
    I think for my next trick, I'm gonna try the Three Mountains cheevo.

EDIT: Tried that, fuggeddaboutit

It's insane. I think it's considerably harder than going all the way as Njad.

• Options
    Is is - although you might be able to religion flip easier now. Before you had to grab an inland province, get rid of your island, then break yourself to change religion

Or do what the iroquois game did and have to re-take lost provinces (assuming siezing is still a thing)

• Options
    FellhandFellhand Registered User regular
    Shadowhope wrote: »
    finnith wrote: »

The game cares, it recognizes that you've modded it.

Is it confirmed that if you are playing in windowed mode that you can't get cheevos? I've possibly been playing on iron man for nothing, but I've unlocked a fair amount of the gimme achievements. I was switching back and forth between windowed and full to check performance though.

• Options
    RakeethRakeeth Registered User regular
    Kind of want to try a game as Aztec from a CK2 converted Aztec invasion but not enough to pay fpr the converter.

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Phyphor wrote: »
    Vic wrote: »

Yeah catching up is going to be super hard, but you should be able to get kinda close

I think the strategy for playing one of the American civs would be to become the vassal of whoever you become adjacent to and then westernize?

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    I don't know if you can willingly vassalize yourself, especially if your provinces are worth a lot

• Options
    Rakeeth wrote: »
    Kind of want to try a game as Aztec from a CK2 converted Aztec invasion but not enough to pay fpr the converter.

There's a mod on steam community that changes their tech groups to be like a CK2 import.

• Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular

Do you mean (attacking Morocco) or attacking(Morocco)? In my game every instance of the former's been hilarious and every instance of the latter's been a milk run where they get overrun in about six months.

... Granted, they keep declaring war on Portugal, Spain (me) and France when they try that.

On which note, argh, bloody France seriously.

• Options
    DroolDrool Science! AustinRegistered User regular
    So should I buy the Humble Paradox Bundle? CK2 looks interested, but also terrifying, but it looks the most interesting out of those games.

• Options
    pantsypantsy Registered User regular
    I could really use some advice on my CK2 game:

Started as Galicia. Made myself King of Galicia but ended up getting usurped by Leon. Long story short, built up a faction, reclaimed Kingdom of Galicia. My uncle succeeded with a claim on the Kingdom of Leon, which I also had, and so I went to war and picked up the Kingdom of Leon as well. To finish it all off, I had picked up enough duchies off of the Mulism emirates that I created the Kingdom of Portugal, making it my primary title. Changed succession law from gavelkind to primogeniture at this time as well.

Everything was going swimmingly. I was watching succession crisis after crisis in neighboring Castille, vassalizing any lords who managed to break away. Then I noticed that my eldest son is only inheriting the Kingdom of Portugal and Galicia titles. The Kingdom of Leon is going to my 2nd eldest son. What gives? I thought with primogeniture everything would go to the eldest?

What are my options for fixing this? I don't want my kingdom to split in two.

• Options
    Drool wrote: »
    So should I buy the Humble Paradox Bundle? CK2 looks interested, but also terrifying, but it looks the most interesting out of those games.

Do you like Game of Thrones? CK2 basically let's you be a medieval dickhead. It's fantastic, and incidentally one of the easier Paradox titles to learn.

• Options
    AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    CK2 is probably the best Paradox game to start with, it's fun, it's got a little more character and a little less spreadsheet, there's a smooth transition from smaller, simpler countries and bigger more complex ones, and did I mention it's fun?