As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Xenonauts: This X-Com clone looks good and might be released

JerikTelorianJerikTelorian Registered User regular
edited December 2010 in Games and Technology
Xenonauts
What's this? An X-Com successor that might be good?

Hey! Xenonauts is approaching some sort of Alpha, and they are taking NON-REFUNDABLE preorders.
Here is an awesome video of the Geoscape

geoscapesm.jpg
See full size
1 October, 1979: Extraterrestrial forces begin their invasion of Earth. Panic spreads across the globe, and nations struggle in vain to organise their ill-equipped militaries against the alien threat. A clandestine organisation dubbed the 'Xenonauts' surfaces, claiming to have been preparing to defend the planet against alien incursion since its inception twenty years ago. Though distrustful, the major global powers reluctantly give their agents authority to operate in their territory and airspace.

Xenonauts puts the player in control of an organisation tasked with defending the planet against extraterrestrial invasion. Battle the aliens with your interceptors in the skies above Earth, or attack them on the ground with your elite strike teams in tense turn-based squad combat. Build up your bases and manage your budgets carefully to keep your men and vehicles well-equipped and the aliens at bay, buying yourself enough time to research and unlock the secrets of the extraterrestrial technology. This is strategy on a grand scale; tactician, commander and quartermaster - you must master them all if you are to succeed in defeating the alien menace. Humanity's very survival rests on your shoulders.

There will be limitless replayability on offer. Advanced AI will keep the player challenged at every stage of the game, and with randomly generated battlefields for every mission and numerous distinctive alien races it will be impossible to guess what lies around a corner or on the other side of a door. A battlefield cover system and fully destructible scenery means that every battle will unfold differently, while providing the player endless tactical possibilities. Missions will be interesting and varied too, with multiple victory conditions and occasional secondary objectives keeping the combat from becoming stale and repetitive.

The game is heavily inspired by the classic X-Com series of strategy games that arrived in the mid-90s courtesy of the now-defunct Microprose. It is a labour of love for many of the team, all of whom are big X-Com fans, but we have decided to try and reinvent the game rather than recreate it. The result is a game that is neither a sequel to X-Com nor a remake. We have taken our franchise in a different direction, retaining the core mechanics that made the original so compelling but updating the settings and features of the game to fit in with the modern age. Gone are the near-future stylings of Xenonauts' forerunners, replaced by a militaristic Cold War setting and a retro-inspired art style.

Xenonauts will be single-player only and is presently only in development only for the PC. Ports will be considered closer to release date, which is currently slated for Christmas 2010.

The game is being developed by Goldhawk Interactive, an indie group that's been working on what they regard as an "X-Com upgrade". So far they seem true to the goals of the original game -- a full-featured strategic simulation with an isometric tactical battle component. It looks like they'll be selling it, and say they are aiming for a Christmas 2010 release.

Perhaps I should note this here, to prevent any confusion down the road: this won't be an X-Com clone. They are making changes they feel are important to making a better game, and some (e.g. Interception and air combat) sound pretty neat.

A note about renders: I don't have a source on this, but the Goons say that they're using the 3D models to generate sprites for the isometric gameplay. Apparently this is similar to the methods used to make sprites for Starcraft, among other things.
Features
  • Geoscape as in XCom
  • Isometric battle map
  • Randomly generated terrain for battles
  • Ability to control up to 16 soldier and four mechanized units
  • Victory objectives: instead of "kill all aliens" as an objective, you might only need to capture and hold a UFO for a set amount of time
  • Adding variety to weapons
  • A variety of armors with more depth than in XCom -- rather than simple Kevlar jumpsuits, you might equip soldiers in heavy armor for breaching... at the expense of speed and carrying capability.
  • A cover system for combat
  • Soldiers can receive classroom training based on your research so that they have an edge in the field. It won't be as effective as just getting out there in the fights, but now your late-game rookies might be able to contribute a bit more.
  • NPC Civilians and military. Cops will shoot aliens during a terror mission. Civilians won't run headlong into a chryssalid den. Scientists and Engineers will need to be protected during base defense missions.
  • Air combat is getting an upgrade, with it's own tactical sequence. Different interceptors will be available with their own strengths and weaknesses (e.g. big payload vs. light and fast; quick vs. long range)
  • And others, with details
But Jerik, there's been so many remakes and they all sucked. What makes you so sure this will be good?

This image really did it for me. Seeing the potential for complexity in outfitting your soldiers makes me giddy.
soldierequip.th.jpg
If you read the features list, you can get an idea of how they feel. I'd like to say that they seem to be fans of the game and want to preserve it's feel; all while introducing features they may not have had the computing capability to put in the first game. Also, as a small, privately funded indie dev, they're really looking to bank on the nostalgia from gamers who liked the old games, and hopefully won't push to dumb the game down to sell to a wider audience.

As people post things of importance in the threads, I'll add it up here (say if you find something cool in the forums).

Links

I found out about this on the SomethingAwful forums (from whom some of the images were shamelessly stolen). Here's a link to UncleSmoothie's fine thread.

Xenonauts Dev Page: http://www.xenonauts.com/index.php
Xenonauts Forums: http://www.xenonauts.com/index.php?option=com_agora&Itemid=53
Early Preview from Rock, Paper, Shotgun: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/04/16/xenonauts-the-x-com-anti-apocalypse/

Pictures

flamer.jpg
Flamethrower

smalljackal.jpg
"Jackal" Combat Armor

t80j.jpg
T-80 Main Battle Tank. Fuck you Mutons.

SteamID -- JerikTelorian
XBL: LiquidSnake2061
Shade wrote: »
Anyone notice how some things (mattresses and the copy machines in Highrise) are totally impenetrable? A steel wall, yeah that makes sense, but bullets should obliterate copy machines.

I don't know about you, but I always buy a bullet proof printer. Its a lot more expensive, but I think the advantages are apparent.
JerikTelorian on

• JerikTelorianJerikTelorian Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Reserved for expanding the op

JerikTelorian on
    SteamID -- JerikTelorian
    Anyone notice how some things (mattresses and the copy machines in Highrise) are totally impenetrable? A steel wall, yeah that makes sense, but bullets should obliterate copy machines.

I don't know about you, but I always buy a bullet proof printer. Its a lot more expensive, but I think the advantages are apparent.
  • XtarathXtarath Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    When/where can I give these people all my money?

Xtarath on
  • Mr.SunshineMr.Sunshine Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Will all my mans look like that guy? Cause I don't think I want all my man to look like... that guy.

Mr.Sunshine on
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited July 2010
    Will all my mans look like that guy? Cause I don't think I want all my man to look like... that guy.

Eerily similar to Barney in Half-Life 1.

Probably just as much cannon fodder too. :P

Echo on
  • ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    This sounds like everything I ever wanted from an X-Com sequel.

I was always pissed that I was the only human group operating in the field. Nevermind the low squad cap. Where the hell are the cops during the Terror Missions when the Chrysalids are running rampant?!

Archonex on
  • Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Xtarath wrote: »
    When/where can I give these people all my money?

More excited about this than the actual X-Com game being made.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • SporkacusSporkacus Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Goddamnit 2k MARIN, this is what X-com should have been :(

Content: This looks really great and it seems like they got a good feel on what made X-com so incredible :)

Please be awesome...

Sporkacus on
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    How could the option of targeting a gray with a HEAT round fired from a 40-ton armored behemoth ever not be a good idea? Also, why a T-80? Can't we afford the good stuff?

Anyway, color me intrigued. Far, far more intrigued the shitty-looking X-com "sequel" Take Two is pushing out. Looking at that map makes me want a mod which throws Defcon in there as well; screw things up too badly and get to enjoy all the pretty colors of thermonuclear war as you try to wipe out infested countries before they start lobbing nukes your way.

But mostly I just want a proper new X-Com game which doesn't suck. It looks like the graphics will already avoid the bleeding eyes issue so progress is promising.

EDIT: Five bucks says Take Two will try to get this shut down.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited July 2010

I don't see how they could possibly do that.

Echo on
  • TheOtherHorsemanTheOtherHorseman Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    All I need is the core spirit of the game preserved with interesting combat and soldiers I care about, and the ability to ride to victory on a tidal wave composed of the shredded vital meats of my recruits.

TheOtherHorseman on
  • -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Echo wrote: »

I doubt they would need to. Fanmade project? Ambitious goals remaking fan favourite game? Website consisting of nothing but concept art and target screenshots? Nothing approaching gameplay?

This game is NEVER COMING OUT.

-SPI- on
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    -SPI- wrote: »

I doubt they would need to. Fanmade project? Ambitious goals remaking fan favourite game? Website consisting of nothing but concept art and target screenshots? Nothing approaching gameplay?

Why you gotta be like that?

But yeah, it's probably never coming out. Getting a good new Xcom game actually is far too much to ask for.

Thankfully, we have Take Two to continue the proud tradition of trying to cash in on beloved titles with shitty sequels.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • MetallikatMetallikat Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

But yeah, it's probably never coming out. Getting a good new Xcom game actually is far too much to ask for.

Thankfully, we have Take Two to continue the proud tradition of trying to cash in on beloved titles with shitty sequels.

As much as it pains me to agree... well, I agree. If we're really, really, really lucky, we might see an alpha version 4 years from now before the project is declared dead and the team breaks up. Tis the nature of these things, sadly.

Metallikat on
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

+1. I don't even bother getting worked up about stuff like this until I've played it twice through already to ascertain that it's not a dream or an LSD trip but actual reality we're dealing with. And frankly I'm not even sure this will get far enough along for me to play it on an LSD trip let alone in real life.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Am I the only one who at this point is sick and fucking tired of all these projects that can be summed up as "basically X-COM with better graphics and some changes to avoid lawsuits"? If all they're going to do is try and ape UFO Defense for 80% of the game (and don't tell me they aren't: take a moment to think about all the bulletpoints and buzzwords you're getting excited for this over) then fuck them, I'll just play UFO Defense again. People shit on the AfterX games, but at least their devs had the decency and balls to give them their own identities over the franchise instead of simply cowering in X-COM's shadow (and YES I'm aware that Aftermath started out as the Dreamland Files).
    Obligatory "RAAAAAWR SIDE-TURN-BASED IS AN ANTIQUATED AND DECREPIT MECHANIC THAT NEEDS TO BE PUT TO REST" section.

Sorenson on
    edited July 2010
    Why would turn-based battles ever necessarily be antiquated and decrepit? If it's fun, it's fun. Apocalypse has a real-time mode which, yes, makes the game go faster, but it also strips alot of the strategic elements out of the game. Take your team, break it up into platoons, pause to place orders, and then watch them mow everything down. But Apoc also needs the games to go much faster since the battle zones are much, much larger; doing it the regular turn-based way is like invading a base for every single encounter. You can easily spend an entire play session on one battle during it the turn-based way.

We keep seeing these attempted remakes because obviously there a plenty of people who want to see that type of game furthered but no official devs are willing to do actually do the job.

But if they wanted to actually make the game happen, they should never have gone public with it. They should have kept it a total secret until it was completely functional and just needed some testing. Now they're doomed.

Ninja Snarl P on
    edited July 2010

Perhaps it's the insanity talking, but I'm sorta hoping that these guys are in it to win it. They seem to be going about this in a professional way, and they also seem to want this to be a for-profit exercise.

A lot of internet games crash because the time and effort to produce something for free can be a bitch, but if they're actually looking to make money off it, we might see it come around.

Also, the word from the Goons is that there exist some gameplay and actual engine renders, but that the developers don't want to release lots of rendered shots/videos without there being something worthwhile to render; they'd rather present it in a nearly finished form. Naturally I don't know if that's true or not, but maybe we'll all be wrong this time?
    Sorenson wrote:
    If all they're going to do is try and ape UFO Defense for 80% of the game (and don't tell me they aren't: take a moment to think about all the bulletpoints and buzzwords you're getting excited for this over) then fuck them, I'll just play UFO Defense again.

Part of the reason, at least for me, is that I'm sick of all the niggling little problems in UFO and would like to play something a little more refined. Things like the 80-item limit or being able to see Soldier's stats in the loadout menu would go a long way in making UFO wildly more playable.

Oh also I haven't been able to get UFO to run for more than 20 minutes on my machine without causing some horrible graphics corruption and bombing the whole damn thing.

JerikTelorian on
    SteamID -- JerikTelorian

• SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Why would turn-based battles ever necessarily be antiquated and decrepit? If it's fun, it's fun. Apocalypse has a real-time mode which, yes, makes the game go faster, but it also strips alot of the strategic elements out of the game. Take your team, break it up into platoons, pause to place orders, and then watch them mow everything down. But Apoc also needs the games to go much faster since the battle zones are much, much larger; doing it the regular turn-based way is like invading a base for every single encounter. You can easily spend an entire play session on one battle during it the turn-based way.
    Honestly, you weren't really supposed to answer that, but I guess you don't remember a certain badly-planned thread from 6 to 9 months ago.

Sorenson on
    edited December 2010
    It seems there's been all kinds of updates so you guys should check it out. New video at the top of the op, looks great.

Preorders are now available to fund development, but they're non-refundable so consider it a bit of a gamble.

JerikTelorian on
    SteamID -- JerikTelorian

• chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Archonex wrote: »
    This sounds like everything I ever wanted from an X-Com sequel.

I was always pissed that I was the only human group operating in the field. Nevermind the low squad cap. Where the hell are the cops during the Terror Missions when the Chrysalids are running rampant?!

As far away as possible.

Which is good, since every non X-Com group would be an active liability in that scenario.

chiasaur11 on
  • FandaFanda Hang a shining star upon the highest boughRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    This looks fantastic. I'm getting kind of a grimdark vibe from the 70's setting and the stark black geoscape.

I am, however, a little confused about why Toronto has migrated to the Northwest Territories.

Fanda on
  • Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    looks neat. I'll definitely keep this on my radar.

Virgil_Leads_You on
    VayBJ4e.png
  • BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I really appreciate that their illustration for a generic soldier is some hapless looking, hunched over sap who clearly resents working for this organization. It highlights the totally expendable nature of your troops.

BloodySloth on