Options

[Team Fortress 2] TF2Maps.net Art Pass Mapping Contest!

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2010
    The last point on upwards certainly is. That little basement is just always so empty, and it provides easy access to their stuff!

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    psyck0 wrote: »
    psyck0 wrote: »
    In the spirit of the usual whining that goes on here, I am calling for/predicting the following nerfs:

1) serious nerf to the amount of damage a wrangled sentry absorbs. It is just way too hard to kill and the engy can too easily stand behind a level 3 one and be all but impossible to shoot, making that avenue of disabling it impractical.

2) nerf to the moving of sentries. Heavies can come across an engy who is moving a level 3 sentry and all the engy has to do is plonk it down and hide behind it- the heavy can't shoot the engy because the sentry blocks the shots, and the engy can repair the sentry faster than the heavy can kill it.

A nerf making it impossible to repair sentries while being wrangled would satisfy me, I think.

1.) If a sentry is wrangled, don't pot shot it from 200 yards. Get in there and kill that engy, then fuck up his gun.

2.) I'm not sure if the default keys are different for heavy, but for every other class, I know A and D will allow you to strafe sidways to navigate around things.

It's hilarious how you forget how slow the heavy is. If the engineer is not RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOU, you can't get behind the sentry before it is up and he can just play ring around the rose anyway. It's also hilarious how easy you make it sound to "get in there and kill that engy" when they usually set up wrangled sentries in areas protected by the rest of their team, making killing it with an uber or from a distance the only options.

Unless you're trying to walk around all spun up, you're either close enough to run in and punch him or far enough to get out of the way.

Protected by the rest of their team? Gosh, if only you had some sort of team of your own to counter with. Or classes that specialize in something other than full frontal assault. A wrangled sentry should be pretty easy to break with a modicum of coordination or maybe some forethought.

Aneurhythmia on
  • Options
    MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    TrippyJing wrote: »
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    Molybdenum wrote: »
    look

spies

I'm going to be honest here

It is harder to kill you if you are not disguised as a pyro every single time

it is also goddamn frustrating because I will tell my team to ALWAYS SPYCHECK PYROS THEY ONLY DISGUISE AS PYRO and then you will disguise as pyro and somehow manage to not be spychecked and stab me anyway
    It's kinda tough since most classes will slow you down (heavy, demoman, soldier) or are very limited in places that look natural (Sniper, Engie, Medic should be in the back and if the latter doesn't heal for two seconds you'll be caught). Scouts are real obvious.

That being said, with servers being 50-75% engineers, it's real fucking easy to just pop in the back as a sniper and fuck shit up.

Though, certain map types aren't really conducive to that sort of thing.

The spies in question were all or mostly DR spies, so it didn't seem to be of much consequence what they disguised as. my go-to is usually demoman, lately engineer.

Molybdenum on
    Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
  • Options
    MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    look

whiners

there is almost nothing that cannot be solved with an ubercharge. if the other team has seven engineers and has completely locked down that last point on that payload map, or is spawncamping you to oblivion, don't whine, go medic. It might take longer to charge up than if you went demo and tried to spam them into submission, but if there are already three demos trying and failing at that, your path should be clear.

Molybdenum on
    Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    look

whiners

there is almost nothing that cannot be solved with an ubercharge. if the other team has seven engineers and has completely locked down that last point on that payload map, or is spawncamping you to oblivion, don't whine, go medic.

Psssht. Psssht. Psssht. Psssht. Psssht.

Hear that?

That's the sound of all your hard work being blown away...

Kupi on
    My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    facetious wrote: »
    tofu wrote: »
    I wrote a poem too:

Roses are red
    Violence are BLU
    The Wrangler is'nt too hard to counter if you're smart

Your poem sucks

tofu on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2010
    There are so many engineers on a team right now that you need 3-4 Medics ALL using the medigun. Good luck convincing people to switch. If I can't manage it with Medic I just go spy and pray the engineers are all busy playing with their joysticks.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Medic is the best.

Medic sneaking up behind a Heavy and taunt killing him is even better.

Burnage on
  • Options
    mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    Heavies dont need a nerf.

People trying to kill heavies need a intelligence buff.

I die all the time as heavy, the only people that cry about heavy nerf are the idiots who try to charge head long into minigun fire hoping to out DPS the heavy

I charge headlong out of minigun fire and still die.

mrflippy on
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    One thing I want to do, though...

I want to go Gunslinger, run around with the pistol, and play the Robocop theme.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    EndaroEndaro Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    nealcm wrote: »
    valve pulling a valve

damnit endaro

this is mostly your fault

I'm sorry guys. I've let you all down :(

Endaro on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Bethryn wrote: »
    Endaro wrote: »
    See what you never saw from my perspective was that I was actively fighting a demoman and a scout on my own, who were coming straight at me and trying to kill me. I couldn't care less if I bump in to a spy if there are stickies on my feet. I lasted all of about 8 seconds after I got out of spawn because I was completely alone down there and they took the point without any other resistance from our team. You would have learned this if you weren't so busy complaining about the spy checking afterwards. Quit crying about it and wrench the damn spy like a man.
    None of these things were the case; you're thinking of a different time.

Oh well then it's likely I just suck. Apologies!

Endaro on
  • Options
    SladvanSladvan Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Red team is the worst team.

Sladvan on
    ken2.png
  • Options
    ElementalorElementalor Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

I want to go Gunslinger, run around with the pistol, and play the Robocop theme.

I go with the T2 theme.

Elementalor on
    Marvel Future Fight: dElementalor
    FFBE: 898,311,440
    Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/dElementalor
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

I go with the T2 theme.

What the hell kind of T-800 walks around with a pistol? Now a shotgun, I'd get.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Engineer will be responsible for Skynet.

Calling it now.

Dac on
    Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    ElementalorElementalor Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

I go with the T2 theme.

What the hell kind of T-800 walks around with a pistol? Now a shotgun, I'd get.

The kind that will be back.

Elementalor on
    Marvel Future Fight: dElementalor
    FFBE: 898,311,440
    Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/dElementalor
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    ebotastic wrote: »
    nealcm wrote: »
    valve pulling a valve

damnit endaro

this is mostly your fault

GG, Endaro.

GG.

Endaro is a terrible person.

Utterly without any redeeming qualities.

Man I already responded to the first one before I realized all you jerks kept disparaging me. You guys are just jealous of my offensive engie skills. I will have my revenge, you'll see...

Endaro on
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    look

whiners

there is almost nothing that cannot be solved with an ubercharge. if the other team has seven engineers and has completely locked down that last point on that payload map, or is spawncamping you to oblivion, don't whine, go medic. It might take longer to charge up than if you went demo and tried to spam them into submission, but if there are already three demos trying and failing at that, your path should be clear.
    Uber demo in this situation will get two, maximum three SGs down while the uber's up, and probably insta-die when it goes away. Meanwhile, because the demo had to focus strictly on the SGs, the engies are probably ready to go set up new guns, and because there are seven engies around doing nothing they'll probably be able to help get all the new guns up to lv3 in about 4 seconds.

This doesn't take into account the wrangler shield which means the demo will get, at most, two wrangled guns down, and that's being generous. Of course, planning 3 ubers to clear out the nest once and for all seems like child's play, but oh it's not

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I find the wrangler boring, and dangerous to use. Having played engineer much more over the last few days, I've decided I no longer like playing defensive engineer, which sounds strange. But I find guns die just as fast (if not faster), and you're still the demoman/soldier's bitch with or without the wrangler and a level3 gun. I don't think they need a buff or anything, I just feel like patch didn't really change how a defensive engineer plays that much, except for building a gun at spawn to level 3 and moving it up. Really all I've noticed the wrangler do is also make you the sniper's bitch. I find the aiming of it to be off too. My target will be at a place clearly in the line of sight of the gun, but the sentry sometimes goes off by 5-10 feet for no obvious reason. The wrangler would have been more fun if it created a seat on the gun, and let you climb in and take first person control of the sentry.

For me I have a lot more fun being an offensive engineer and popping down mini-sentries in strange areas people don't expect. They might not kill anyone, but they're so annoying. and when you get a few revenge crits with them you can be pretty nasty. The only thing I'd say is that maybe too often the mini sentries are maybe a little too weak. It would be nice if they could build two at a time, or maybe if they had a much larger range than standard sentries. In any case, I enjoy wrangling a mini-sentry more than a level 3 sentry for some reason.

Honestly I'm seeing that as the point of the mini-sentry. Not so much to kill with it but to use smart placement to catch a target in a crossfire with it to allow you to get pistol and shotgun kills. The firing noise it makes -IS- rather distracting. People tend to turn around after they see you and then hear it and by the time their attention is back on you a good 50-75% of their life is already down the shitter.

Beezel on
    PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    ubered pyro with homewrecker works best against large sentry nests I would think

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    JintorJintor Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Knockback

/edit other pyros

//edit explosion knockback + sentry knockback

///edit Wrangler shield/constantly repairing engies

Jintor on
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I find the wrangler boring, and dangerous to use. Having played engineer much more over the last few days, I've decided I no longer like playing defensive engineer, which sounds strange. But I find guns die just as fast (if not faster), and you're still the demoman/soldier's bitch with or without the wrangler and a level3 gun. I don't think they need a buff or anything, I just feel like patch didn't really change how a defensive engineer plays that much, except for building a gun at spawn to level 3 and moving it up. Really all I've noticed the wrangler do is also make you the sniper's bitch. I find the aiming of it to be off too. My target will be at a place clearly in the line of sight of the gun, but the sentry sometimes goes off by 5-10 feet for no obvious reason. The wrangler would have been more fun if it created a seat on the gun, and let you climb in and take first person control of the sentry.

For me I have a lot more fun being an offensive engineer and popping down mini-sentries in strange areas people don't expect. They might not kill anyone, but they're so annoying. and when you get a few revenge crits with them you can be pretty nasty. The only thing I'd say is that maybe too often the mini sentries are maybe a little too weak. It would be nice if they could build two at a time, or maybe if they had a much larger range than standard sentries. In any case, I enjoy wrangling a mini-sentry more than a level 3 sentry for some reason.

If you want to put them in strange areas just use L1 sentries, they'll probably finish in time. Mini-sentries should be put in places where you know they're going to shoot someone. Just toss it down right away any time you see an enemy, spam your pistol and go find some more metal to inevitably replace it. Ideally you want to place it right on the edge of a fight where it won't be killed right away and is hard to escape from.

Zek on
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Also the mini-sentry's range is actually a decent amount further than the circle you see when building it.

Zek on
  • Options
    Gennenalyse RuebenGennenalyse Rueben The Prettiest Boy is Ridiculously Pretty Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Ah, the joys of successful sniping. I see now what some people like about it now that I have a computer which lets me aim.

Gennenalyse Rueben on
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Zek wrote: »
    Also the mini-sentry's range is actually a decent amount further than the circle you see when building it.
    I had a feeling this was true but I kind of want to check it seriously

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    IceyIcey Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Burnage wrote: »
    The thing I hate most about Hightower and Upward; pyros that airblast you off a cliff. Constantly.

Hate.

I'm not sorry.

Icey on
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So the mini-sentry tagets barrels huh?

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010

Sure feels like it, must be a bug.

tofu on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I guess to get those few extra bee-stings in before it's one-shot

Beezel on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I wish my robot hand was as long as the ones that kill me :(

mrflippy on
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So I want the new wrench.

I have to combine scrap metal and an ambassador.

I don't have the ambassador.

To get one you have to unlock it.

I'm a terrible spy and never play the class.

Thus I'll never unlock any achievements.

Thus I'll never have the new wrench.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    Squirrel RancherSquirrel Rancher Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    tofu wrote: »

Sure feels like it, must be a bug.

The bubbles indicating range on the normal sentry and mini sentry are both slightly smaller than their true range.

Squirrel Rancher on
  • Options
    Gennenalyse RuebenGennenalyse Rueben The Prettiest Boy is Ridiculously Pretty Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I am the worst spy and I still have achievements for it. If I can do it, anyone can.

Gennenalyse Rueben on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Wow, and I turned on the hit notification sound, and apparently the splash damage radius on rockets is way smaller than I thought. Maybe that's why I can never kill anyone when I go soldier.

mrflippy on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    The Gunslinger dropped for me today while I was playing sniper.

I have clocked less than half an hour with the engineer.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    gunslinger made me realize just how damn deadly the engie's pistol was

Beezel on
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Great games tonight guys. Extra hats off to you Mr Boolet Proof. You are a medic like no other. And to the people I walked all over tonight, I am really not that good. I just had good medics.

That_Guy on
  • Options
    ebotasticebotastic Going Gonzo In People's HeartsRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    mrflippy wrote: »
    Heavies dont need a nerf.

People trying to kill heavies need a intelligence buff.

I die all the time as heavy, the only people that cry about heavy nerf are the idiots who try to charge head long into minigun fire hoping to out DPS the heavy

I charge headlong out of minigun fire and still die.

The last three times I've played heavy I've broken my old records for points and/or kills.

Of course, the first of those three times was erased when my game crashed and eclipsed the second and third.

But my record used to be 34 points and 31 kills in a life, now it's 39 points and 34 kills. It WAS 51 points for a brief, few minutes. :evil:

Take that as you will, but I don't think the difference here is me.

edit: What the hell, that wasn't the post I was trying to quote...

ebotastic on
    Please, call me ebo.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Almost all of the engineers playing are awful

tofu on