http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Z8XhIDXuFQ

Metal Jared on
    BattleTag: MetalJared#1756
    PSN: SoulCrusherJared
  • Options
    GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    BubbaT wrote: »
    And if Jones' towering figure appeared to dwarf Matyushenko in the cage on Sunday night, there's a reason.

"I got up to about 231 (pounds) this time around, and today I performed around 226 (pounds), so this is the heaviest I've ever performed at, and I felt as if I was just as fast," Jones said.
    http://mmajunkie.com/news/20129/ufc-phenom-jon-jones-wants-top-three-opponent-next-but-will-settle-for-james-toney.mma

And Jones definitely looks like he can scratch his knees without bending over. He could be a HW full-time if he wanted to fill out his frame. One of his brothers is 6-3, 300 and the other is 6-5, 250, they're both football players. Appears to be quite the gene pool.

"Boo" for that "I'm eager to fight anyone but my buddy Rashad" bullshit.

I hate that shit.

GungHo on
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm not sure if I want to root for Anderson because I love his fighting style or if I want to root for Chael because he's such an amazing troll.

Decisions, decisions...

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I think it's embarrassing that Sonnen has to do all this stuff just to provoke Silva into actually fighting and not spend the whole time running and hiding behind the ref.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    the sad thing is, despite the fact that i want somebody to beat Silva and Sonnen looks like the man who can do it, if Sonnen were to get KO'd in the first round, i'd probably never stop laughing just because he deserved it

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The problem with allowing knees to a downed opponent is that its a pretty radical change. If you add in allowing it for partially down opponents (say 1 knee down, or hands can be down etc) you're adding in an additional point of officiating error, but that's not the tough part.

The tough part is you'd need to change the rules in every state and province. I don't think any would currently sanction an event with knees to the head and you'd have to get every place to allow this rule change. That would set back the organization politically and then you have to worry about UFC X being in a state that allows knees to the head on the ground and UFC X+1 being in one that doesn't. Even if you did wait until every place allowed it you have to deal with the fallout of "why do you allow it now when it was too dangerous then" and "well if X fought Y under the new rules he'd totally win" etc.

Its not perfect but getting it to be balanced and safe is not simple and the transitional costs IMO far outweigh the benefits.
    DaemonSadi wrote: »
    I'm not sure if I want to root for Anderson because I love his fighting style or if I want to root for Chael because he's such an amazing troll.

Decisions, decisions...

Root ... root for them to lose? Those are not positive characteristics. And Chael isn't trolling he's a hardcore right winger.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Is it possible for them to both lose?

GungHo on
  • Options
    Wet BanditWet Bandit Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    As long as either Anderson loses or Chael gets stopped, I'll be happy.

Wet Bandit on
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    it'll probably go to a draw just to piss us off

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    PantsB wrote: »
    And Chael isn't trolling he's a hardcore right winger.

Uh, what does that have to do with Chael's trash talking? He's not trying to score political points - the smart thing for his political career would be to shut up. Chael's talk isn't politically motivated anyways, more like schoolyard insults.
    Sonnen ... once chided opponent Yushin Okami – who, ironically, has become a friend who has stayed at Sonnen’s home and trained with him – for failing to help promote their fight.

“This is not just a fight, it’s the fight business,” he said of Okami, a Japanese native who speaks little English, following a bout at UFC 104. “You have to try to sell the fight.”
    http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news?slug=ki-sonnen020310

Chael's trash talking has been the most interesting part of the leadup to the fight, he's responsible for 97% of the hype the fight has going for it. After Silva-Maia, the last thing I wanted to see was more Silva - especially against another grappler. Now I want to see if Silva's mad enough to smash Chael's face in.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I'm interested in seeing how Anderson will do against a good wrestler who doesn't have any delusions about being anything other than a good wrestler. This fight will give us a good indication of whether or not an Anderson/GSP fight is worth our time.

Wet Bandit on
  • Options
    PookiepooPookiepoo Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I really think it is going to look a lot like Andy vs Forrest. All this hype and then it is over before it even begins.

Much like Jones vs Vlad. He may as well have been demonstrating his abilities on a rubber dummy.

Pookiepoo on
    Steam: Pookie GG Now Playing: BattleTech, Divinity Original Sin 2, MechWarrior 5
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Forrest is a face-first striker, though. Sonnen knows he's there to wrestle.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I can't imagine this fight looking anything like Anderson/Forrest. That's what makes Chael a reasonably interesting opponent. He's not going to walk forward with some slow striking and let Anderson counter him to death. He's gonna do everything he can, over and over, to try and take Anderson down. It'll be interesting to see how Anderson deals with that. It's certainly possible he'll catch Chael right away, but more likely, he's gonna have to engage in some sort of grappling sooner or later.

Wet Bandit on
  • Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Anderson is a way better troll, he's one fight away from getting Daley'd.

815165 on
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I think it's a really interesting fight; honestly, I think Chael gets submitted. I know he's a hell of a good wrestler but if he's got a weakness it's getting submitted (having lost that way to Maia, Filho, Jeremy Horn, and Babalu). I just don't see any way Chael lays on Silva for 5 rounds without getting caught in something.

Peen on
  • Options
    sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Under strengths for Jon Jones as listed by ESPN: Muay Thai, Wrestling, and Ju Jitsu. Hmm... what's left?

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
  • Options
    PookiepooPookiepoo Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I totally agree with you guys that Chael will be taking it to the ground and will probably have more success than Maia, but I see him getting dominated while standing before he gets andy down. The only way to avoid this not engaging. And him laying on top of andy for 5 rounds without getting subbed? Not going to happen. "Reasonably interesting" is a good way of putting it.

If you are Chael, what are you training right now? Sub defense? Takedowns? Certainly not akido.

Pookiepoo on
    Steam: Pookie GG Now Playing: BattleTech, Divinity Original Sin 2, MechWarrior 5
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Under strengths for Jon Jones as listed by ESPN: Muay Thai, Wrestling, and Ju Jitsu. Hmm... what's left?

Dick punching

GungHo on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I wonder how far away Chael's going to be forced to shoot from.

815165 on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    It's not like it's totally impossible to get Anderson down, Henderson managed and he might not be as good a wrestler as Chael is right now. It's just impossible to do it long term, 5 round is too many to do it and not get caught.

For what it's worth, I don't think a GSP/Silva superfight would be worth it. GSP does what he does because he's exceptionally skilled but also because he can just physically overwhelm his opponents. I don't think he's doing that to Anderson, I think the Spider's too big to get bullied around that way.

Peen on
  • Options
    RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

Sexiness?

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010

Decisions, decisions...

Root ... root for them to lose? Those are not positive characteristics. And Chael isn't trolling he's a hardcore right winger.

Anderson's amazing striking is certainly a positive characteristic.

And Chael makes me laugh as he is saying all of these ridiculous things in order to drum up hype for the fight. He knows what he's doing and it's working. He has my respect for knowing who his audience is and being able to play to that so well.

So maybe you don't like sweet striking skills and maybe you don't appreciate what Chael is doing... but I sure do!

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Lets face it, Sonnen can't fall back on his entertaining past fights to promote his next one like Anderson can.

815165 on
  • Options
    Metal JaredMetal Jared Mulligan Wizard Rhode IslandRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010

Decisions, decisions...

Anderson's amazing striking is certainly a positive characteristic.

And Chael makes me laugh as he is saying all of these ridiculous things in order to drum up hype for the fight. He knows what he's doing and it's working. He has my respect for knowing who his audience is and being able to play to that so well.

So maybe you don't like sweet striking skills and maybe you don't appreciate what Chael is doing... but I sure do!

Exactly. Chael is PROMOTING, it's not something policital (I have no idea how someone got that idea) it's about making money. The more people that watch the more his sponsers will pay him. The better the PPV buys the more likely the UFC will give him another big fight if he loses. In the end it's not just about who the best fighter is, it's about this being a business.

That's why Dana was saying he would have to make Silva do prelims because no one wants to pay to see what he did the last time he faught. The fight game is pretty simple. Promote the fuck out of the fight to get people to see it, and then put on a good fight.

If you don't promote, no one is watching to see the fight even if it is good, and if you promote and then give us a shitty fight people are pissed off and you're less likely to get their buisness next time. Chael is providing the promotion, lets hope these two have a good fight for us to watch.

Metal Jared on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    815165 wrote: »
    I wonder how far away Chael's going to be forced to shoot from.

This is the problem. If you stand in front of Silva, he damages you severely. Silva's take down defense is solid if not impenetrable and Sonnen has be able to go five rounds doing that. He's a guy who hasn't knocked anyone out in 2 1/2 years and never under a major organization. He wins by taking his opponent down and laying on him and that's just not going to happen.

Spider KO in the 2nd

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Peen wrote: »
    For what it's worth, I don't think a GSP/Silva superfight would be worth it. GSP does what he does because he's exceptionally skilled but also because he can just physically overwhelm his opponents. I don't think he's doing that to Anderson, I think the Spider's too big to get bullied around that way.

I doubt Anderson is physically stronger than Fitch, Koscheck, or Alves.

Wet Bandit on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    We'll have to agree to disagree then. Silva's way stronger than he looks, he's as fast as GSP, and he's 4 inches taller. GSP just doesn't have the same physical advantage against him that he does against other WWs IMHO.

Peen on
  • Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I think it's a really interesting fight; honestly, I think Chael gets submitted. I know he's a hell of a good wrestler but if he's got a weakness it's getting submitted (having lost that way to Maia, Filho, Jeremy Horn, and Babalu). I just don't see any way Chael lays on Silva for 5 rounds without getting caught in something.
    That's what I'm expecting too, ala Dan Henderson. Except with more domination from Anderson Silva since he trained in Aikido.

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Wet Bandit wrote: »

Considering he's ~25 lbs heavier, I think its actually a pretty safe bet. Silva walks around at 220-230, he's a massive middleweight. Fitch, Kos and Alves walk around at <200.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Wet Bandit wrote: »

Considering he's ~25 lbs heavier, I think its actually a pretty safe bet. Silva walks around at 220-230, he's a massive middleweight. Fitch, Kos and Alves walk around at <200.

1) What they walk around at isn't what they fight at. For Anderson to be 25+ pounds heavier on fight night than Fitch or Koscheck, he'd have to cut at least 10 pounds more than two wrestlers who have been cutting massive amounts of weight all their adult life. I mean, I guess that's possible, but that strikes me as unlikely.

2) Fitch and Koscheck are powerful wrestlers, backgrounds that give them tremendous functional strength. Anderson doesn't have that same background, he hasn't developed that same strength.

I just don't see why anyone would consider Anderson to be really strong. He doesn't have an incredible physique and he hasn't ever overpowered someone that I can remember.

Wet Bandit on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I'm not sure what you're basing your argument on exactly; he hasn't been overpowering in a wrestling sense because that's not how he fights but he knocked out Leben (not been done before or since), Marquardt (ditto), and Griffin while he was backing up for crying out loud. I mean are you saying he's not strong because he doesn't look hella ripped?

Peen on
  • Options
    YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I don't think Anderson will lose, but I've thought for a while that if/when he does lose it'll be to a guy with Chael's skillset.

About knees on the ground: for people saying they're too dangerous, what is your evidence for that? (I don't give much credibility to deadliest warrior by the way). Why would a knee on the ground be any more damaging than one standing?

Yougottawanna on
  • Options
    Metal JaredMetal Jared Mulligan Wizard Rhode IslandRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Speaking of Forrest Griffin did you know he has a book coming out today?

Be Ready When the Sh*t Goes Down: A Survival Guide to the Apocalypse

Seriously, that's a book he just put out. Yes that Forrest Griffin. Synopsys anyone:
    Do you really need to buy this book? You gotta ask yourself one question: Are you going to be ready when the sh*t goes down? Here is a quick checklist:

1. Have you dug up your wife's rose garden and built a fallout shelter, equipped with a prison where you can lock up annoying family members?

2. Have you mapped out an escape route to your safe zone?

3. Is there a vehicle of death sitting in your garage?

4. Have you filled your go bag with all the needed instruments, including waterproof matches, postapocalyptic goggles, and at least one sexual party favor?

5. Have you learned how to milk various types of animals, including a giraffe?

As you can see, you need this book more than you even know. Without it, you're roadkill. Lucky for you, Forrest Griffin is the perfect apocalyptic chaperon. When he was in the womb, his mother had visions that the world would soon crumble, and Forrest would be the messiah of all mankind. He learned of these "visions" at the age of ten, and although they led him to believe that his mom had just been watching Mad Max and eating bad Mexican food, nevertheless he began his postapocalyptic training—a part of which involved his becoming a proud member of the Webelos, which is just one step below Boy Scout. And you know what the Boy Scout motto is. (Well, I hope you do, because Forrest doesn't have a clue). Another part involved hoarding ketchup packets, which he sucked down in the darkness of his room while listening to Nine Inch Nails. Hey, don't judge . . . hoarders are survivors. Just look at squirrels, they have been around longer than sharks.

If you want to survive the end of the world, and then avoid ending up in a government holding pen suffering from a bunch of diseases and listening to crying babies, you've got some skills to master. But don't worry—Forrest has you covered. From spotting the signs of the global downfall, to alienating your loved ones now so they don't come looking for you after, to hot-wiring a car to starting a religion in your own image, he provides you with all the hot knowledge you need to survive the downfall of civilization. Simply put, this is the most important book about the apocalypse that you will ever read by a UFC fighter from Georgia.

About the Author
    Forrest Griffin is one of the top-ranked light-heavyweight mixed martial artists in the world. He won the first season of The Ultimate Fighter in 2005 and has been one of the most beloved UFC fighters ever since. He is the day man, fighter of the night man, and champion of the sun. He is also a master of karate and friendship for everyone. But calm down, ladies, Forrest and his main squeeze, Jaime, live in Las Vegas.

Oh wait you haven't seen the cover yet?
    51NpbukpzVL._SS500_.jpg

Double You - Tee - Eff

Metal Jared on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Forrest is a whimsical motherfucker.

815165 on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I don't think Anderson will lose, but I've thought for a while that if/when he does lose it'll be to a guy with Chael's skillset.

About knees on the ground: for people saying they're too dangerous, what is your evidence for that? (I don't give much credibility to deadliest warrior by the way). Why would a knee on the ground be any more damaging than one standing?

The specific scenario in DW was a knee to the top of the head, on a prone dude. That compresses the spine and is extremely dangerous but it'd also be pretty easy to make illegal in MMA.

Peen on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I think people would stop focussing on double legs and favour trips if there was any way to deal decent damage to someone mid-takedown.

815165 on
  • Options
    YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

The specific scenario in DW was a knee to the top of the head, on a prone dude. That compresses the spine and is extremely dangerous but it'd also be pretty easy to make illegal in MMA.

Are there examples of spine injuries resulting from knees to the top of the head in any of the promotions that have allowed them now or in the past?

The most brutal knees from a sprawl I ever saw were in Mark Coleman vs. Allan Goes. Now Goes got knocked out yes, but he didn't have his spine compressed or anything like that. And I'm not aware that knees to a downed opponent are any more likely to cause an injury than any other technique.

Yougottawanna on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Spectrum wrote: »
    FWIW about knees to head of a downed opponent...the show is mostly for laughs but on Deadliest Warrior, the episode they had Rashad on, they had him knee a prone dummy in the head directly at the top of the skull. The force ratings were high enough from one knee to crush the spine in the neck and kill if it had been a real person.

I didn't see that episode, but did they also test other MMA techniques for lethality? There's been stories of people dying from getting hit in the chest with a baseball, Ray Chapman of the Indians died from being hit by a pitch. I know there's MMA fighters that hit harder than a pitched baseball. I could probably plunk beanballs off Fujita's noggin all day without ever knocking him out cold like an Overeem standing knee did.

Though I agree with PantsB that it's not really a battle worth taking on for the UFC or MMA in general right now, considering that MMA is still a fringe, largely misunderstood sport. But that's more politics and aesthetics.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    They did a few other things, but they were designed to be lethal (elbows to the throat and the like). If the point of rules is to ensure safety then it makes sense that they'd outlaw techniques that they feel are the most likely to be dangerous; we might not agree but MMA's worked hard enough to get the degree of respectability that it has and if someone were to actually die in a pro match that would be a huge, horrible deal.

Peen on