As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MMA 9: FRANKIE EDGAR BEST LW IN WORLD, MAYNARD MOST BORING

• Options
    Wet BanditWet Bandit Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    815165 wrote: »
    So Thiago Alves is struggling to make weight.

Again.

Alves told Dave Meltzer that everything is on target.

Wet Bandit on
  • Options
    [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So Thiago Alves is struggling to make weight.

Again.

It bothers me so much when a fighter fails to make wieght. Its like the cardinal rule. Don't fucking be over-weight. You have months to prepare, and Alves does this all the fucking time.

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Alves has missed weight once in 12 UFC fights, and that was when he suffered an injury a week-and-a-half before the fight.

Wet Bandit on
  • Options
    Venkman90Venkman90 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Daley had the same issue as Alves, too short / not enough reach for MW but to wide and bulky for WW. When you have guys like Hathaway who are 6'2" making 170 with that reach it must suck to be 5'9" and much heavier.

Venkman90 on
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Some guys just have a weird body type like that. Sherk and Serra also spring to mind, like Alves moving between LW and WW.

Peen on
  • Options
    eEK!eEK! Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Wet Bandit wrote: »
    Alves has missed weight once in 12 UFC fights, and that was when he suffered an injury a week-and-a-half before the fight.

He was also suspended for taking a diuretic (aids weight cutting by making you piss more) which he later admitted he used as the cut is difficult for him. So Alves is a guy that has trouble making the weight, but it seems to be more that he has trouble dieting than him trying to get a massive weight advantage.

eEK! on
  • Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    His coaches also blamed his cut for his performance against GSP, weight has been a question leading into his fights for a while now.

815165 on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I'm just saying, it's a little crazy to jump on Alves for his weight-cutting when he's missed weight once in 12 fights and that was probably a result of him spraining his ankle and being unable to run the week before that fight.

Does the cut hurt him? Help him? I don't know. Is the cut hard for him? Probably. But if he doesn't get hurt, he gets it done. So it's probably not wise to freak out about it before the weigh-in.

Wet Bandit on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    From TMZ:
    In a phone conversation just moments ago, Huerta told us he tried to remain calm early Saturday morning when he watched some random "huge guy" punch a girl in the head in the middle of the street ... explaining, “I just don’t think that it's right to hit a woman. Period.”

Huerta tells us, "I approached the man calmly and said, “Do you know what you just did? You just knocked out this girl."

But Huerta claims the other guy responded, "F*ck you, f*ck these bitches, I'll knock out any f*ckin' bitch that I wanna f*ckin' knock out, I’ll knock your f*cking bitch ass out.”

Huerta added, "... and as he's saying this, he's taking off his shirt ... and at that point I was like, alright.'"

Huerta insists that he didn't throw the first punch -- and only reacted when the other guy "started swinging at me" ... and we all know what happened next.

"I got the better of him and I left," Huerta said.

The 27-year-old explained, "If that was my mom, if that was my sister, my spouse, anyone … I would’ve wanted someone to step in and do something about it.”

Wet Bandit on
  • Options
    YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So was that picture of the stomp a shop or what? I heard it was a shop.

Yougottawanna on
  • Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Or you could just watch the video.

Unless you also heard the video was a shop, because that picture came from the video.

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    B:L wrote: »

Unless you also heard the video was a shop, because that picture came from the video.
    wouldn't that be a 'miere then as opposed to a 'shop

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    dlinfiniti wrote: »

wouldn't that be a 'miere then as opposed to a 'shop
    Hey, TMZ is hipster enough that it could be a 'cut.

• Options
    edited August 2010
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Glad to see the "Hay let's touch gloves-SHOOT" tactic getting stuffed hard.

• Options
    doug_grammardoug_grammar Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So the TUF 12 cast has been announced,
    Toby Grear
    Record: 7-4-1

Grear has posted back-to-back wins but has not competed since he earned a unanimous decision against Mike Sandez at Call to Arms 1 more than a year ago. A Total Fighting Alliance veteran, he has secured five of his seven career wins by knockout or technical knockout. An outspoken pro-marijuana activist, Grear has twice been suspended by the California State Athletic Commission for drug-related offenses.

I totally think this guy is there to win it.

This guy's no Nick Diaz, that's for sure.

Good to see that Huerta didn't blindly attacked the man. The son of a bitch was just asking for it.

doug_grammar on
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    submission boxing
    really?

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    How much smaller would he be than the other guys at MW?

edit: this is weird, Chael Sonnen said in his mmafighting.com interview with Ariel Helwani that he never did this interview, where (at 3:25) he says Lance Armstrong did drugs and gave himself cancer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWeA3r-9gJ4&feature=player_embedded

Pretty odd situation.

:lol:

He was on the Jim Rome Show and Rome played the clip. Sonnen blamed it on Some Puerto Rican Guy: "That's not me, that's some imposter. He sounds like he's got a Hispanic accent or something."
    hqdefault.jpg
    Oh my God! Oh my God! My twin brother has been shot! I think it was an Asian gang or something. There was this guy, he looked Asian, and he was speaking another language. I'm pretty sure it was... Asian.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    midgetspymidgetspy Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    dlinfiniti wrote: »
    submission boxing
    really?

Hah that guy totally deserved that, faking the glove tap then going for a takedown is super lame.

midgetspy on
  • Options
    GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Glad to see the "Hay let's touch gloves-SHOOT" tactic getting stuffed hard.

You should get kicked in the balls by the ref when you do that shit. Does he think he's one of the Cobra Kai henchman or some shit?

GungHo on
  • Options
    doug_grammardoug_grammar Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    If he was going to resort to such trickery, he should've at least gotten a little closer. If the other man didn't go for a knee, he still would've easily stuffed that take-down.

doug_grammar on
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    BubbaT wrote: »

edit: this is weird, Chael Sonnen said in his mmafighting.com interview with Ariel Helwani that he never did this interview, where (at 3:25) he says Lance Armstrong did drugs and gave himself cancer:

Pretty odd situation.

He was on the Jim Rome Show and Rome played the clip. Sonnen blamed it on Some Puerto Rican Guy: "That's not me, that's some imposter. He sounds like he's got a Hispanic accent or something."
    hqdefault.jpg
    Oh my God! Oh my God! My twin brother has been shot! I think it was an Asian gang or something. There was this guy, he looked Asian, and he was speaking another language. I'm pretty sure it was... Asian.

People still aren't seeing just how deep the Sonnen trolling goes. Just like the whole "I don't even have a twitter, what is this twitter you speak of?" situation.

As for the Huerta situation, the story on cagepotato is that the guy in the beginning is Huerta but the guy administering the stompage is not.

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    http://twitter.com/stevecofield/status/20413369711

Dana reportedly just said at the press conference that the winner of Fitch/Alves is getting the next title shot.

This is stupid for a number of reasons:

1) Fitch got destroyed by GSP. I mean, multiple-10-8-rounds destroyed. He has shown nothing to indicate that the outcome would be any different. No one wants to see this fight.

2) Alves getting a title shot with one win after getting beat by GSP 50-45, 50-45, 50-44 in a fight where GSP tore his groin? Really?

3) There is a perfectly good title eliminator already scheduled in Shields/Kampmann.

4) The only way this makes any sense is if Koscheck beats GSP in a way that leaves no room for an immediate rematch. Good luck with that.

I'm really stunned that Dana is doing this. It's just such a bad idea.

Wet Bandit on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I'd rather have either Fitch or Alves (both top five WW, I'd say) fighting GSP than Kampmann.

815165 on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    DaemonSadi wrote: »
    BubbaT wrote: »

Pretty odd situation.

hqdefault.jpg

People still aren't seeing just how deep the Sonnen trolling goes. Just like the whole "I don't even have a twitter, what is this twitter you speak of?" situation.

As for the Huerta situation, the story on cagepotato is that the guy in the beginning is Huerta but the guy administering the stompage is not.

I bet that wasn't even Huerta, it was some Russian guy. Look, you can totally see in the video that he stomps Russian-style!

And I think Sonnen's act is hilarious, he's like early Bart Simpson in a grown man's body.
    Skinner: Bart, I'm flabbergasted. Surely you knew as you were writing your own name in 40-foot-high letters on the field that you would be caught.
    Bart: Maybe it was one of the other Barts. sir.
    Skinner: (Yelling) There are no other Barts!

BubbaT on
  • Options
    [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    http://twitter.com/stevecofield/status/20413369711

Dana reportedly just said at the press conference that the winner of Fitch/Alves is getting the next title shot.

This is stupid for a number of reasons:

1) Fitch got destroyed by GSP. I mean, multiple-10-8-rounds destroyed. He has shown nothing to indicate that the outcome would be any different. No one wants to see this fight.

2) Alves getting a title shot with one win after getting beat by GSP 50-45, 50-45, 50-44 in a fight where GSP tore his groin? Really?

3) There is a perfectly good title eliminator already scheduled in Shields/Kampmann.

4) The only way this makes any sense is if Koscheck beats GSP in a way that leaves no room for an immediate rematch. Good luck with that.

I'm really stunned that Dana is doing this. It's just such a bad idea.

Very strage indeed. A rematch either way? If the fights had been closer then sure, but as you say there is little to show us that the outcome would be different. Fitch mostly deserves it, on account of his winning fights and such. Not a very exciting prospect, pretty hard to market this one to fans aside from "GSP sets to destroy man for 2nd time".

And that 5sec KO video was hilarious. What a dick move, and great reaction speed as well, that whole sequence happened extremely quickly. Honestly, I hope someone fakes the glove tap in the UFC and gets a flash KO because of it. The guy doing the fake that is. Why would I want this blatant display of unsportsmanship? Because the constant touching gloves bugs the hell out of me. The ref gets the fighters to tough gloves. After that, its a fight. You don't need to touch gloves at the beginning of everyround. There's sportsmanship, but it can go too far. Guys signal each other as to if they're going to touch gloves. This removes the possibility in most fights of a flying knee or other surprise move to start a fight (which were almost standard fare in PRIDE). As soon as that bell rings, the guys should be trying to beat each other. A glove touch as an apology for a foul I still wouldn't mind, but glove-touching as it is is quite excessive.

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I'm a little bit surprised that you're surprised, it seemed pretty obvious to me. I agree that Shields/Kampmann is the better title eliminator but I think they're going with name recognition and the fact that it's easier to promote a re-match then try to hype up a new guy. I think they'll set one of those guys up to get the shot after this one and I do think either way it'll be a better fight.

Peen on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Peen wrote: »
    I'm a little bit surprised that you're surprised, it seemed pretty obvious to me. I agree that Shields/Kampmann is the better title eliminator but I think they're going with name recognition and the fact that it's easier to promote a re-match then try to hype up a new guy. I think they'll set one of those guys up to get the shot after this one and I do think either way it'll be a better fight.

The only people Fitch and Alves have name recognition with are hardcore fans, and they don't want to see either of those guys fight GSP again. And I think it's incredibly tough to promote a rematch where the heavy favorite convincingly won. I mean, how do they sell that? Can you imagine that UFC Countdown?
    *deep Countdown narrator voice*

Thiago Alves failed to take a round from GSP in their first fight, even after GSP tore his groin. But Alves is back, and he's hungry, and he knows he's got a chance to be champion...if GSP tears even more stuff in his body, like maybe his ACL.

I'm not sure how effective that'll be at selling the rematch.

Wet Bandit on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    What else is there to do with Fitch? His only loss at WW is to GSP, and I think the UFC is terrified of putting Fitch vs Shields in case of causing some sort of somnambulist apocalypse due to awful kickboxing.

815165 on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Here's what I'd do. Shields/Kampmann winner gets the next title shot. The Fitch/Alves winner fights the Shields/Kampmann loser for the title shot after that.

GSP would get a fresh challenger next. And then his fight after that would either be a more-necessary rematch or a fresh challenger coming off a quality win.

edit: Oh, and it's worth mentioning that considering GSP/Kos isn't for another four months, so the Alves/Fitch winner is gonna have at least a seven-month layoff before the title shot. That's not ideal, either from a fighting perspective or from a promotional perspective.

Wet Bandit on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    It sucks either way, Kampmann being closer to a shot than Fitch is ridiculous. :(

815165 on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    The only people Fitch and Alves have name recognition with are hardcore fans, and they don't want to see either of those guys fight GSP again. And I think it's incredibly tough to promote a rematch where the heavy favorite convincingly won. I mean, how do they sell that? Can you imagine that UFC Countdown?

Well at least Fitch, unlike Chael Sonnen, is committed to generating interest in his fights.
    Jon Fitch wrote:
    Either you’re a fan of the sport or you’re not. If you’re not a fan of the sport, go the fuck away, Pardon my French, but go away. We don’t want you here, we don’t need you here, because there are plenty of people who love the sport the way it is. Go away. We’re not going to keep changing the rules just to appease the people who only want to see guys boxing with small gloves. Go away. Watch something else.

The sport needs to be about the fights themselves and not about promotion. If we’re really going to be taken seriously as a sport and allowed into places like New York City, we need to be seen as a legitimate sport and not pro wrestling without scripted outcomes. It’s a dangerous line to play, that promotional line.
    http://www.heavy.com/mma/mma-interviews/2010/08/jon-fitch-doesnt-care-if-you-like-him-or-not/

Some people just don't get it, I guess.

Fitch appears not to understand that the reason people find him boring isn't because he wrestles, it's because he doesn't do anything to finish fights. People like watching Bones and Brock and GSP because when they get a dominant position through their wrestling, they actually try to do something with it that will end the fight. Fitch hasn't finished anyone in 3 years.

And then he tops it off by displaying the dazzling personality of a rock.

In addition, if it was just about the fights and not promotion, then Fitch would fight Koscheck and Swick instead of engaging in their ridiculous non-aggression pact in order to promote AKA.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    If it's just about the fights then Fitch still doesn't fare any better as far as being a draw, your wins matter less if people don't want to watch them.

815165 on
  • Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Man, I like Fitch. I watch his fights. Fighters gotta have an answer for the grapple fuck or their arsenal is lacking.

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Peter Ebel wrote: »
    Man, I like Fitch. I watch his fights. Fighters gotta have an answer for the grapple fuck or their arsenal is lacking.

It is painfully easy to maintain a grapple when you're not doing anything to try and win. It's much easier to hold someone down and maintain control than it is to try and finish them with a submission or strikes.

Cabezone on
  • Options
    adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    They just need to be stood up with greater frequency.. like Herb Dean kept doing in Howard vs. Ellenburger

adytum on
  • Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    After the second stand up, the fight continues under Shock Fights rules.

Yeah, agreed. If nothing is going on and no one is advancing, stand 'em up.

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I think Sonnen's a genius because he hasn't finished anyone in three years either when he TKO'd poor Kyacey Uscola in 2007. The only way I'd begin to give a shit about him in the cage is if he's fighting someone awesome and gets killed (like his loss to Maia or what I think's going to happen Saturday), so his pre-fight chatter is all I have to look forward to normally.

Peen on
  • Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'll also say that leaning on a guy for 2 rounds to tire him out is a valid tactic to win a fight. It's also bad for the sport and not entertaining in any way. I won't pay money to watch that. Neither will most people. A fighter who doe this can bitch all they want about me not being a true fan, but I need to be entertained for my money. I'll watch a good grappling match all day, when both people are trying to finish the fight and not win on points.

Cabezone on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Cabezone wrote: »
    I'll also say that leaning on a guy for 2 rounds to tire him out is a valid tactic to win a fight. It's also bad for the sport and not entertaining in any way. I won't pay money to watch that. Neither will most people. A fighter who doe this can bitch all they want about me not being a true fan, but I need to be entertained for my money. I'll watch a good grappling match all day, when both people are trying to finish the fight and not win on points.

^This.

I don't see any difference between what Fitch does and what Silva did vs Maia. Both were examples of using a smart strategy designed to maximize their chances to win the fight and take the least amount of damage. You can say it's the job of the other guy to escape to standing with Fitch, you can also says it's Maia's job to corner Anderson. Both are horrible to watch.

Frankly, they remind me of the pre-shot clock NBA, when teams would just stand around passing it for the entire quarter, and only shoot when they had an easy chance or the quarter was about to end. It almost killed the league, and if the shot clock hadn't been implemented to speed things up and generate more action it would have.

edit: inserted quote, what a terrible TOTP

BubbaT on