As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Comic News Thread: all the muck that's fit to trace

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Yay for Superstar. I never read it but look forward to it.
    All Eighty Variant Covers of Godzilla #1

My LCS is on there. 500 copies is a ridiculous amount to order, I'm surprised so many shops did this.

My LCS is there, Bedrock City Comics. They do have 4 locations in Houston, so 125 for each location isn't that far off of what they have done for Blackest Night #1, for instance. It does seem odd that some shops care more about showing the owner than the actual shop like Keith's Comics.

But it is kind of a brilliant marketing move. 500 copies, with 80 stores, that's already 40k, on top of say 15k regular orders, IDW can get into the top 20.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    Futt BuckerFutt Bucker CTRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Yay for Superstar. I never read it but look forward to it.
    All Eighty Variant Covers of Godzilla #1

My LCS is on there. 500 copies is a ridiculous amount to order, I'm surprised so many shops did this.

My LCS is there, Bedrock City Comics. They do have 4 locations in Houston, so 125 for each location isn't that far off of what they have done for Blackest Night #1, for instance. It does seem odd that some shops care more about showing the owner than the actual shop like Keith's Comics.

But it is kind of a brilliant marketing move. 500 copies, with 80 stores, that's already 40k, on top of say 15k regular orders, IDW can get into the top 20.

Mine is Rogue Comics, with the kids and the dog on the cover. I'm good friends with the owner and we were talking about it a few days ago. He emailed the pictures of the store to IDW (with his kids in front) and they came back with "So do you want the kids in there too?" And he replied "...You can do that??" So I guess they let you put whatever you want in it.

Futt Bucker on
    My color is black to the blind
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I guess I can see that, if a LCS is going to throw down about $1500 for personalized comics.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I think it's kinda a neat idea. If I had a LCS that did this, I'd totally buy a issue just to have it. (Sadly, I don't think I even HAVE a LCS, let alone one that would spend money on this.)

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Holy shit
    Dwayne McDuffie, the acclaimed writer behind Milestone superheroes including "Static Shock" has passed away suddenly, just a day after the premier of his latest project, DC's "All Star Superman" DVD.

Furu on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited February 2011
    nooooo

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I got a little sick to my stomach when I read that. Everything I ever saw from him indicated he was a nice, honest kind of guy, who genuinely cared about pushing comics forward.

Very sad.

Munch on
  • Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    See what happens when you guys say such mean things about the All-Star Superman cartoon?

Hensler on
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited February 2011
    I saw it on matt fraction's twitter feed andwas just stunned. Awful news

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Dang

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Man that sucks

Solar on
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Surreal.

That's a lot of talent gone, so suddenly.

Edit: I popped in here because DC's source blog seems to have imploded. It was down for most of the day, and now it's back up but the most recent post is august. They may have lost everything since then.

I expect to see a post on McDuffie up there once they sort it out.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    bustin98bustin98 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Such sad news. I don't know what else to say. I wish I would have met the man.

bustin98 on
    Xbox Live, PSN, Twitter: bustin98
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Oh my god that is horrible

he was an incredibly talented screenwriter and his comic works were very good if sometimes constrained by editorial.

It's a very tragic loss.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Man, that's such sad news for his family. :(

Wildcat on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Oh man, that's terrible. It's as out of the blue as Mike Wieringo's death was. Prayers and best wishes for his family, if DC or Marvel publish any of his unused work to help the family I'll make sure to pick up a copy.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited February 2011
    Sad to hear about Dwayne McDuffie. I always admired his attempts to bring diversity to comics. He also wrote this:

682new_storyimage1636614_full.jpg

DMAC on
  • Options
    TeaSpoonTeaSpoon Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Mike Wieringo is dead? He helped create Bart Allen!

I'm sorry to hear about McDuffie. I admired his frankness regarding the DCU editorial process. That took balls. And I liked his work on JLU. May he rest in peace.

TeaSpoon on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Wieringo died of a heart attack in 2007, it was just as sudden as McDuffie's death.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    JordynJordyn Really, Commander? Probing Uranus. Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I have been almost in tears all day.

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
    JordynNolz.com <- All my blogs (Shepard, Wasted, J'onn, DCAU) are here now!
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    " CBR has learned that McDuffie died from complications due to a surgical procedure performed Monday evening."

That's really awful. I wonder what the surgery was...

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited February 2011
    I'm going to put up a new graphic violence presents contest up when I get off work, I think, as a kind of memorial tribute thing. So keep an eye out.

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I've just heard about this. I'm genuinely saddened by the news. Not only was he hugely talented, but he always came across as a great guy.

*edit* Geebs that's a fantastic idea. Whatever it is, I'm in.

Desktop Hippie on
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Yeah that is a good idea Geebs

Solar on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited February 2011
    Dwayne was a genuinely good man and a fantastic writer who I am proud to say that I got to know for several years online and off. The note he wrote me on my copy of HARDWARE #1 remains one of my most prized comics-related possessions - I value it every bit as much as my sketch collection or my Alan Moore signature. This is a tremendously sad day.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    uuugggghhhh

It feels so random and unfair. It feels like we lost not just a talent, but a force in intelligent diversity in comics just by being so damn talented.

Lux on
  • Options
    GankGank Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I've only read few of his stories but what I had read was fantastic. He will truley be missed.

Gank on
    galactussig-1.jpg
  • Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I just read the news.. Damn shame. We'll miss you, Dwyane. :(

Kevin Crist on
    acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Man, I read this right after I finish watching All Star Superman.

Hate seeing such a talented writer go.

ManetherenWolf on
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Great writer, great comic guy, great role model for minorities in the industry. Those are some huge shoes to fill.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I am glad that I at least got to meet him once and gushed over Static at him for a full 10 minutes. He was so nice.

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Some words on Dwayne McDuffie's passing from his peers: http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=30978

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    The Mark Waid one was too much for me. I lost it.

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Ugh, that's horrible. I haven't read any of his Milestone work, though I've always intended on going back and reading it, but what I have read or seen of his work, I almost always enjoyed. And I loved how honest he was with fans, even though that eventually lost him his job. You'll be missed Dwayne McDuffie.

This year really sucks so far.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    This guys video does a fine job of expressing what I think of the inspiring Mr.McDuffie passing.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4lqtXpausU

mattfraction
    appreciate it for a sec: kids'll see another toothy white guy in another toothy superhero movie & think "he's not MY green lantern." #dwayne

Caveman Paws on
  • Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Looking at McDuffie's blog, his last post was 3 days ago and he was super excited that the first Sonic action figure ever was coming out. It's hard to read something like that and think that the guy who posted it no longer exists.

Hensler on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Liefield working up legal matters over BOOM!'s new kaboom! line

Because in the 90's Liefield Awesome Comics made a series called Kaboom, which also had been reprinted last year. I don't believe he has a leg to stand on because of the exclamation point.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Nickelodeon's gonna take them both to school

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    That was the same excuse Vanilla Ice gave, he had that extra ding at the end of Under Pressure.

cardboard delusions on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited February 2011
    Nickelodeon's gonna take them both to school

That was KaBlam!

Garlic Bread on
This discussion has been closed.