As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Football/Soccer] Nani is the best header of the ball

• Options
    Buddy LeeBuddy Lee Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I fully expected Spurs to thrash Wigan today. Wigan is such a random team.

I had Bale captained. D'oh.

Buddy Lee on
    Join Penny-Arcaders in EPL Fantasy Futbol! Click to see details.

http://fantasy.premierleague.com/my-leagues/

The join code for the CLASSIC league: 214755-65927

The join code for the HEAD-TO-HEAD league: 5294-3346
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Tav wrote: »
    Joey Barton took a beating today.

*Insert joke here*

No seriously, they were showing it on MOTD. He took seven very heavy tackles, and the only one which earned a booking was one where he got kicked in the chin. Some of the tackles that weren't punished were disgraceful.

Tav on
  • Options
    projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Any tackle that doesnt end Joey Bartons time playing professionally is a disgrace. HARDER BOYS!

That was harsh.

GG Freddy Montero!

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    toxk_02toxk_02 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    'Loitering with intent at the far post' indeed.

15 points in first 15 matches, 17 points in the next 7 matches. Night and day.

toxk_02 on
    OTP.jpg
  • Options
    Abdul the TerribleAbdul the Terrible Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Liverpool sings Raul Meireles for 14m euros. I find this exciting.

Abdul the Terrible on
    Ashban1.jpg
  • Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    u5ttg.jpg
    One of mates got this made up. Tempted to get one myself.

evilbob on
    l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    edited August 2010
    -3 points for Jaaskelainen in fantasy...? Wait, a red card?! What?

Buddy Lee on

• Options
    DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    he bitch slapped roger johnson from birmingham .

Draeven on
    Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• Options
    KagliciousKaglicious Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    That's some save from the Sunderland keeper from adebayor

e: bent scored a 93rd minute penalty for sunderland, earlier in the match tevez missed a wide open goal from 12 yards by spooning it over, great game. 1-0 Sunderland.

Kaglicious on
  • Options
    clownfoodclownfood packet pusher in the wallsRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I caught a UEFA Europa League match in Croatia a few days ago. Not exactly what I expected. It was between Dinamo Zagreb (Croatia) and Győr (Hungary). The stadium in Zagreb was Communist era and horribly maintained and the Croatian fans were out cheered by the Hungarians even though they outnumbered them by a factor of 30.

The play wasn't too bad even though the Croatians won 2-1 on two penalty shots.

One thing that irked me about the Croatians was that the team left the pitch without really acknowledging the fans while the Hungarians actually took the time to walk over to the stands where their travelling supporters were and wave.

Looks like there will be group stage play in Istanbul while I am there. I am going to try see the Beşiktaş/CSKA Sofia match. Should be good especially being played at BJK İnönü Stadyumu. Bulgaria vs Turkey! FIGHT!

clownfood on
    photo-4798.jpg?_r=1355437546
  • Options
    nusunusu Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Any tackle that doesnt end Joey Bartons time playing professionally is a disgrace. HARDER BOYS!

That was harsh.

GG Freddy Montero!

I don't know if your GG was for the 2 goals, or the tackle on Ljungberg, or both (I'll assume both :) ).

I'm just glad someone put him (Ljungberg) down once in the game on a decent tackle, a bit sad that it was our smallest forward who did it tracking back on defense. I won't complain about Montero anymore after that though...

nusu on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Draeven wrote: »

Wow, that sounds epic!

Buddy Lee on

• Options
    edited August 2010
    nusu wrote: »

That was harsh.

GG Freddy Montero!

I don't know if your GG was for the 2 goals, or the tackle on Ljungberg, or both (I'll assume both :) ).

I'm just glad someone put him (Ljungberg) down once in the game on a decent tackle, a bit sad that it was our smallest forward who did it tracking back on defense. I won't complain about Montero anymore after that though...

Montero is just in a great place right now. Goals and assist coming from everywhere.

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    nusunusu Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    nusu wrote: »

That was harsh.

GG Freddy Montero!

Montero is just in a great place right now. Goals and assist coming from everywhere.

I agree, he's been in a zone for the last 2 months. It's come at the right time too, now the Sounders are playing themselves solidly into the playoffs.

nusu on
  • Options
    DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Buddy Lee wrote: »
    Draeven wrote: »

Wow, that sounds epic!

I don't think it was really that epic prolly just a love tap but he definatly "slap'ed him though with those big padded glvoes im sure it didn't hurt.

Draeven on
    Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• Options
    TincheTinche No dog food for Victor tonight. Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    clownfood wrote: »
    I caught a UEFA Europa League match in Croatia a few days ago. Not exactly what I expected. It was between Dinamo Zagreb (Croatia) and Győr (Hungary). The stadium in Zagreb was Communist era and horribly maintained and the Croatian fans were out cheered by the Hungarians even though they outnumbered them by a factor of 30.

The play wasn't too bad even though the Croatians won 2-1 on two penalty shots.

One thing that irked me about the Croatians was that the team left the pitch without really acknowledging the fans while the Hungarians actually took the time to walk over to the stands where their travelling supporters were and wave.

Looks like there will be group stage play in Istanbul while I am there. I am going to try see the Beşiktaş/CSKA Sofia match. Should be good especially being played at BJK İnönü Stadyumu. Bulgaria vs Turkey! FIGHT!

As a native of Zagreb, I feel for you man. In Zagreb, there is a special category of people who attend football matches live (especially Dinamo). This category generally has enormous overlap with people of lower social standing, very low earning capacity, alcohol abusers and, ultimately, limited intelligence. Had Dinamo lost the match, assuming you are a foreigner, I'd have been concerned for your safety. Normal folks stopped attending matches in person some time ago, with a few exceptions, which this game was not.

Also, Croatia's communist era has very little to do with the present condition of the stadium. It's all capitalism era failures in this particular case.

Tinche on
    We're marooned on a small island, in an endless sea,
    Confined to a tiny spit of sand, unable to escape,
    But tonight, it's heavy stuff.
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Ljungberg's departure is quite possibly the best thing that could have happened for Montero; they never seemed to have any chemistry. With Nkufo or Jaqua taking a bunch of heat from the defenders as the other forward, and Fernandez taking up Ljungberg's role, he's able to actually receive well placed services and have the space to do something with them.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Ljungberg's departure is quite possibly the best thing that could have happened for Montero; they never seemed to have any chemistry. With Nkufo or Jaqua taking a bunch of heat from the defenders as the other forward, and Fernandez taking up Ljungberg's role, he's able to actually receive well placed services and have the space to do something with them.

Fuck Nkufo. What a waste of space. Give me Jaqua any day.

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    Lord Of The PantsLord Of The Pants Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Joey Barton took a beating today.

*Insert joke here*

No seriously, they were showing it on MOTD. He took seven very heavy tackles, and the only one which earned a booking was one where he got kicked in the chin. Some of the tackles that weren't punished were disgraceful.

Oh, but if he had of hit back he would be back inside, right? Is he still on parole?

:mrgreen:

Lord Of The Pants on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ArenowArenow Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Great goal by Andrés Iniesta on his first game of the spanish league.

Golazo.

Arenow on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    toxk_02toxk_02 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So, Bobby's back.

http://espn.go.com/sports/soccer/news/_/id/5513752/us-soccer-signs-coach-bob-bradley-4-year-extension
    ESPN wrote:
    CHICAGO -- Bob Bradley isn't going anywhere.

U.S. Soccer announced late Monday it had agreed to a four-year extension with Bradley, ending speculation he was seeking a job in Europe and that the federation wanted to start anew in the lead-up to the 2014 World Cup in Brazil. Financial terms were not disclosed.

"Bob is honored to be the U.S. coach," said Ron Waxman, Bradley's agent. "It's a job he enjoys very much, and he's very happy."

U.S. Soccer president Sunil Gulati and Bradley will address the extension Tuesday.

Bradley is 38-20-8 in four years, including a victory last year over top-ranked Spain that earned the Americans a spot in the Confederations Cup final, their first at a major FIFA tournament. The United States also won its group at the World Cup in South Africa before being eliminated in a 2-1 overtime loss to Ghana.

Though many countries addressed their coaching situations right after the World Cup, Gulati felt no pressure to move quickly because Bradley's current deal didn't expire until December. The Americans also had an exhibition against Brazil earlier this month and will play two more in October.

As the weeks passed, however, it seemed less likely Bradley would be retained. Despite reaching the second round, Gulati has said he thought the Americans were capable of more in South Africa. Bradley also expressed interest in jobs overseas, including Fulham and Aston Villa in the English Premier League.

It's often tough for coaches to replicate success over to a second cycle, too. Bradley replaced Bruce Arena, who led the Americans to the quarterfinals in 2002 only to see them crash out in the first round in 2006.

But in the end, Bradley and U.S. Soccer decided to stay the course. Bradley is well-respected tactically, and players appreciate his even keel and open-mindedness. He selected both Edson Buddle and Herculez Gomez for South Africa despite the fact neither was even on the depth chart at the beginning of the year.

Gulati and Bradley met last Thursday, and negotiations on a new deal were finalized Sunday night.

toxk_02 on
    OTP.jpg
  • Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Arenow wrote: »
    Great goal by Andrés Iniesta on his first game of the spanish league.

Golazo.

He's no Marcos Flores.
    Yes I'm going to be saying this about everyone all season.

evilbob on
    l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    In case any of you missed it... Huntelaar is gone to Schalke. The Bundesliga is going to continue to be awesome this season. I think overall, I have greater affection for that league than the EPL.

Also, Hleb from Barca to Birmingham. Not a typo.

oldmanken on
  • Options
    yotesyotes Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Nothing about this deadline makes sense, even Jermaine Pennant is relevant for some reason. I'll just stop paying attention.

Pennant? Really?

yotes on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Just think about this... Milan paid less for Robinho, than Sunderland paid for Gyan.

oldmanken on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    What did they even pay for Robinho, I've heard very conflicting numbers.. I've heard everything between $10m and #22m, and I also heard he would take a 50% wage cut. That does not sound realistic.

But yeah lolSunderland in any case.

yotes on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    What did they even pay for Robinho, I've heard very conflicting numbers.. I've heard everything between $10m and #22m, and I also heard he would take a 50% wage cut. That does not sound realistic.

But yeah lolSunderland in any case.

yotes on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I was just driving around Dominguez Hills and I saw Michael Owen walk out of a limo outside of Home Depot Center while eating a Double Double. Michael Owen to sign with the Galaxy. You heard it here first!

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    It's 12mil (GBP) for Robinho, potentially rising to +20mil... or at least that's what I heard. Not sure if Gyan has a riser in his deal, but the initial outlay for him was 13.5mil.

I personally think the Gyan deal is better than the Robinho one. Yes, Robinho is far and away a better player, but he's also a total shit head who likes to check out from time to time. At least with Gyan you are getting someone who will work hard... though unfortunately not score a lot of goals. But they do have Bent, who most definitely will.

oldmanken on
  • Options
    RaakamRaakam Too many years... CanadalandRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    And the gunners are still stuck with Almunia. Oh well, we're good for 2nd spot this year I think, and quarters in the CL.

Raakam on
    My padherder
    they don't it be like it is but it do
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Raakam wrote: »
    And the gunners are still stuck with Almunia. Oh well, we're good for 2nd spot this year I think, and quarters in the CL.

I'm so angry. It can't be so expensive or difficult to get a keeper who isn't a complete imbecile.

yotes on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    yotes wrote: »
    Raakam wrote: »

I'm so angry. It can't be so expensive or difficult to get a keeper who isn't a complete imbecile.

Well apparently it is, because there is no doubt that Arsenal tried to get Schwartzer and maybe even Given. That said, I don't care how good Mannone and Sczelny(sp?) could be, we should have gone after a young quality keeper like Steklenberg or Lloris from the start.

oldmanken on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    *cough*

Hleb to Birmingham

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    That one had me laughing. Bit of a step down for him.

yotes on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Speaking of steps down, and also for pure what-the-fuckery, I give you todays weirdest damn rumour.

"Rafael van der Vaart 'to be offered to Copenhagen' if Spurs transfer rejected"

David_T on
    euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    TheScrupleTheScruple The Oldest of BridgesRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I could probably get him on loan to play FIFA at my apartment at this point.

TheScruple on
    All prairie dogs just want to be heroes
  • Options
    TlexTlex Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    If Tottenham get VdV for around the same price United got Bebe I will cry. Why Alex, why! VdV practically shouted from the rooftops that he wanted to come to United.

Tlex on
  • Options
    CristoCristo Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    TheScruple wrote: »

hahaha

Cristo on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    TheScruple wrote: »

This is the most wonderful thing I have read in weeks.

Speaking of, new Fifa is getting close to coming out. 27 days away!

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I hope they change the ridiculous ping pong passing on the new FIFA, I always feel like I have more control over what's going on in pro evo games, but FIFA always looks so pretty.

Fuck it, I'll end up buying the thing anyway.

815165 on