As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[D&D&D&D] I poke them, you chop them. That's teamwork. (IC)

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Pieter sits on the edge of a mirror, beginning to clean off his rapier. "It seems we have a choice. We can go up and out of here. Or we can go in deeper." carefully checking the blade of any burrs or knicks.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Arian takes a closer look at the vial of black liquid.
    Arcana: 1d20+5 21

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Arian

You closely examine the vial. It is not a large amount of liquid, approximately a shot. It is very strange, as you peer into it you get the impression that the liquid is translucent, yet beyond it you can see nothing, as though it were opaque. It is not like anything you've seen before, but by the look of it that flask is meant to be knocked back purposefully, not slipped into something else or coated along a blade like poison. The slightest whiff of it reminds you instantly of the smell of the kobolds, they seem to wreak of it. But another strange thing happens. Memories and knowledge on the edges of your consciousness seem to blur and melt away, you feel suddenly slightly uplifted as a few of your worries pass into obscurity, becoming distant. It is immediately apparent to you that there is some sort of sorcery behind this substance.

Winky on
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Adrian steps back into the main chamber, standing over the pool of mirrored liquid. Now in his human form again with only a few stray insects flitting about him, he taps the liquid gingerly with his foot.

"The priest has probably escaped by now, so come what may from that. I can probably slip through the cracks in the next chamber but I imagine the rest of you cannot."

He steps over to the nearest kobold and peers into its eyes through his smoked goggles, but the creature's eyes are as blank as the mirrors around them.
    Insight: 1d20+9 14

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Pieter picks up a pair of the kobold daggers, slipping one in a boot. Moving over to the silver puddle, he dips in the other dagger to the hilt.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Adrian

The kobold's eyes focus on you, staring back at you before drifting off into the corner of its head. It is clearly in some state of consciousness, if not particularly alert of its surroundings. Its mouth lulls open and its tongue hangs out of its mouth. It seems as though it is passing in and out of a state of complete and total ignorance to its surroundings. You get the strangest feeling that it is almost like a newborn, only devoid of all curiosity, devoid of any notion of the world outside. What could possibly do this to a creature is completely beyond your reckoning.

Pieter

As you withdraw the dagger the reflective liquid hardens around the blade like a metal coating. The edge of the blade is perfectly reflective. You tap gently on it and brush your finger along the edge, it is as hard and as sharp as it was previously. Something about the way it reacts, the feel of it, gives you the impression that it has the properties of silver.
    The kobold dagger is now silvered. It can also be used as a reflective surface.

Winky on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Pieter slips the silvered dagger into his other boot, looking around the room. "Perhaps we should rest here. Take some time and gather what we know. Plan what to do next. "

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    "Resting does sound good," Requine admits. "That was a pretty good brawl, though."

She sits and stretches her limbs out carefully.

"Do we want to go in deeper?" she asks, addressing Pieter. "So far we've been attacked by all sorts of nasty beasts, and frankly, I don't see much that's worth risking our necks for. What's in those vials, anyhow?"

She pauses and considers.

"Though if someone made statues of us, that takes resources. There's probably gold and riches to be found deeper. And heads to bash, of course."

She claps her hands together and rubs them greedily.

Dread Pirate Arbuthnot on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Pieter nods slowly. "And whoever left us here did so with all of our weapons and coin. I would hate to leave knowledge of an enemy with these resources and arrogance behind." He begins to unwrap some of the rations in his backpack, making a dismissive sniff of them before biting in and beginning to chew on the hardtack. "And who ever placed us here most likely also knows about that way out. It may not be safer."

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Ludious grimaces while waving towards the catatonic Kobolds.
    "What do we do with these? It does not sit well with my soul to kill an enemy in such a state, Kobold or no."

Ludious on
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    "We bind them and leave them. They're of no consequence to us now. Any benefit they could provide their allies in trapping us would already be provided by the one who escaped."

Chanus on
  • Options
    CorbiusCorbius Shepard Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    "True. There's no sport in killing kobolds who won't be fighting back."

Solleb looks through his backpack and takes out a dwarven biscuit.

"Ah ha, the most important thing. Warm, stale ale! I'm in a good mood, I'll even share some with you lot."

Solleb leads back against a wall, enjoying his ale and biscuit.

"I don't see no point in picking through all that rubble when that damn coward ran off outside. Seems we ought be heading out of this place before we find some other damned wizard trap."

Corbius on
    wrexsig1.jpg
    PSN: Corbius
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    As you all sit down to rest and recuperate in the hall of mirrors the sun passes lower over the edge of the hole to the outside and the sky begins to grow dark. The kobolds lull passively in the corner where they are bound, without a care in the world. But with the rest and the eventual silence that falls over the group you all begin to feel the earlier urgency you had felt upon waking up resurface. The same notion as before floods into your minds "they've taken it, and I have to get it back". Looking up out into the evening sky you get the impression that "they" whoever they may be, are somewhere out there already. But it is more a feeling than a compulsion, and you feel that you could shrug it off if the need be. The distant howl of coyote reverberates through the hole.
    You've all enjoyed an extended rest, you've got all your HP, healing surges, and daily powers back.

Winky on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Adrian rises early in the morning, witnessing the deathly pale of the sky. As his comrades rise, he speaks in a low voice, while avoiding looking directly at them.

"You know what I just realized? I have no idea how I know any of you. Solleb, the raging dwarf, Requine, the salty lass, Ludious, the noble dragonkin, Arian - whose name is disturbingly close to my own, and that Pieter that's always slinking about."

He kicks a pebble by his foot.

"I suppose you folks are alright. But I suggest we get a move on and leave this place. Something... something beckons."

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    "You didn't sleep well either. And I don't slink, a gentleman simply doesn't stomp." Pieter begins arranging his bedroll with fussy care in his pack, before donning his armor. "But I think you may be right. There are forces at work here" he spits out with a grimace.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    "Alright? Alright? Excuse me, I am amazing." Requine cries indignantly as she packs her goods up. "Did you not see how I took those kobolds out - two at once?! And that drake!"

She stands up and begins to strap her armor on.

"I guess I can stick around with you losers a little longer. You're more efficient than my group back home."

• Options
    edited August 2010
    Compelled by an unusually whiny plea from Kord, Arian checks his gear and heads for the outside.

"Time's wasting. We need to recover whatever they have taken from us. Let's go!"

Chanus on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Pieter gathers his gear, making sure it's all strapped in correctly before he begins to climb out the hole, pausing at the top to use the silvered dagger to check for ambush.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Ludious gathers his gear and prepares for the journey. "This is the path set before me. I will see it to its end, and support the companions that have been set on this path with me." He then steps towards the hole and waits for Pieter's all-clear.

Ludious on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Pieter

You emerge into the sunlight. It isn't too late into the morning but already you can feel the intense heat of the sun. You look out over a vast desert.
    2ekks53.jpg
    Rubble dots the landscape around you, chunks of fallen columns that must have once rose out of the temple that you are now leaving. A few hundred yards South you see a dip in the sand and a structure rising out of the ground; perhaps the entrance to the the temple. Further South and ringing around the desert to the East and West you see a range of mountains off in the distance. To the North you see a great mesa jutting out of the ground.

Winky on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Pieter climbs out and dusts himself off. "All clear up here." he calls down to the others before finding a nice rock to sit on. "Of course I have no idea which way we go."

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Arian looks around, trying to determine if there are any signs of civilization or clues as to which way to proceed.
    Perception: 1d20+11 31

Way to waste a crit!

Chanus on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Arian

You happen to be in luck. Far off to the North you manage to spot what appears to be a man riding a large animal, moving towards the base of the mesa. Looking closer you can think you can spot steep paths leading up the side of it, and on top of it small structures that could be buildings. As you glance about you attempting to spot any other signs of life you notice tracks moving off towards the West, and a large number of older tracks coming from that direction. You deduce they must have belonged to the kobolds. You also notice that there seem to be animals moving quickly far off in the distance. You can't make out exactly what they are as their bodies blend in with the desert sand.

Winky on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    "It looks like signs of life to the North, but our enemies have fled West... they also seem to have come from there. Do we pursue them or do we head North and hope these people are not threatening?"

Chanus on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Solleb emerges from the hole into the blazing heat of the desert sun.

"A desert? Dwarves do not fare well in deserts."

Corbius on
    wrexsig1.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    "We need information about this place - recall, we don't even know where we are or how far away the kobold stronghold may be. I say we travel to the mesa and see whatever information we can gather."

Adrian kneels down and begins brushing the gritty sand with his hand, hoping to communicate with any burrowed insects.
    Nature: 1d20+9 14

THE MESA
    THE TALL ONES
    TELL ME

He waits, and hopes to hear an answer reverberate from their dim intelligence

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Adrian

Adrian attempts to commune with the scattered pockets of life about the desert. He senses dung beetles and termites, desert tarantulas and hunting wasps. They know little of the mesa, it is high and does not suit them well. The tall ones come and go, sometimes they live on the mesa, sometimes they leave. Large packs of them travel all at once. They swat and crush, they are unwelcome. Something strange has happened a while ago, but it's hard for Adrian to understand how recently, as the passage of time is different for all these different species. But he can tell that larger groups than normal have been moving through the desert. Up and down the mesa and in and out of a cave far to the West.

And of course, there was the dragon.

Adrian is unable to obtain any more information.

Winky on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    "Isn't it simple? We just go north, and if the people there are friendly, we form up more troops to go smash kobold facess. If they aren't friendly, then we smash their faces! See, simple!"

• Options
    edited August 2010
    "I like the way you think lass. Simple and direct, and always ready to smash faces."

Corbius on
    wrexsig1.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    "To the North it is then." Pieter begins walking towards the mesa.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    With a muttered prayer for guidance from Kord, Arian follows Pieter.

Chanus on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    You march quietly through the desert. The sun beats down on your shoulders and faces and sweat runs down your brows and drips onto your armor. The ground is not all sand and is, thankfully, interspersed with some dry and cracked soil which is easier to walk on. The going, however, is still difficult, and incredibly taxing. Before long you begin walking through a patch of desert in which large boulders dot the landscape around you. After a while each of you begins notice small warnings that you might not be alone, an errant sound of rocks scattering or a flash of movement from behind one of the nearby boulders.
    Roll an athletics check, DC15 to see if you lose a healing surge.

Roll a perception check.

Winky on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Athletics: 1d20-1 7
    Perception: 1d20+6 18

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Perception: 1d20+11 14

Ugh.

Athletics: 1d20+0 17

Huzzah!

Chanus on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Athletics: 1d20+11 31

BOOM! Way to waste a 20.

Perception: 1d20+1 5

I was so busy being the most athletic fucking dwarf in the world that I am oblivious to my surroundings.

Corbius on
    wrexsig1.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Athletics: 1d20+5 17
    Perception: 1d20+2 9

Ludious on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Athletics: 1d20-1 13

I lose a healing surge, down to

Perception: 1d20+9 20

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    http://4e.orokos.com/roll/22729
    Athletics: 1d20+8=27
    http://4e.orokos.com/roll/22730
    Perception: 1d20=17

LOOK AT THESE WELL-ROUNDED ROLLS.

• Options
    edited August 2010
    Adrian senses a group of small desert beetles scuttling about the rocks. They scatter at an approaching form, hunkered low to the ground, carefully stalking its prey. It seems the party has been trailed by a pack of coyotes.
    Roll initiative

Winky on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Initiative: 1d20+3 4

Thomamelas on