As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Wetshaving and safety razors

• Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    MagicPrime wrote: »
    Anyone else here shave in the shower?

I used to shave at the sink and would get horrible razor burn. I got a nice mirror mounted in the shower now and never have that problem anymore.

Only way to do it. Plenty of hot water and steam at the ready.

jefe414 on
    Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    But, the mirror, and the fogging...?

Houn on
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm in a bit of a shaving renascence. I had grown out a beard for a year, and had just been using clippers to keep things down to stubble when I finally shaved it down. I went out of town and it was getting too long and scratchy, but I hadn't brought anything for shaving. I got a disposable from the hotel front desk, and used the super hot towel trick I had remembered from when I had got a straight razor shave from a barber. It was still a terrible shave, but it got me thinking about a straight razor shave at the barber, which I then said was what I wanted for father's day. It was a very nice shave, and I've now got it scheduled w/my wife as my birthday and father's day presents.
    A few weeks after that, we were walking through the mall and I came across a The Art of Shaving store. After hearing the schpeel, I grabbed the $25 sampler kit, and informed my wife of what I wanted for Christmas, the $100 set. (If you are counting of the 3 time I get gifts this year, that's 3 that I want something shaving related). The set is pretty great. I've kinda turned shaving into a ritual, and want to take my time and enjoy it now, which ironically has led to me shaving less, since I don't want to rush it. I still use Gillette Fusion, but I'm starting to think about getting a safety razor. The discovery of this thread may be the tipping point on that.

tl;dr
    Shaving like a real man is almost as awesome as bacon.

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Houn wrote: »
    But, the mirror, and the fogging...?

All I do is put a TINY bit of bar soap on my fingers then rub it over the mirror glass. Make sure it isn't too thick (or you can't see) and it'll keep the fog off.

jefe414 on
    Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • Options
    enc0reenc0re Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I use an electric (the Braun that cleans itself) 90% of the time. For those of you used to electric that want to give wetshaving a go, here's a couple of tips.

Razor
    Get a Gillette "Sensor." That's the traditional looking cartridge razor. Since the attachment is off-patent, generic cartridges keep the price down. You can get three- or two-bladed, with or without moisture strip. Try a little of each (both types come in the package) to see what you like best. I like the three-bladed ones. Anything Mach3 and beyond is BS that does nothing but cost you money. The Fusion is basically unaffordable to shave with.
    When you are ready to try a safety razor, Gillette sells a dirt cheap one called the 7 O'Clock.* They don't sell it in the US, but you can score it on eBay (new) for usually less than $10 including blades.
    324111698_tp.jpg

Shaving Soap
    Get the "Bigelow" brand in a tube (think toothpaste, but metal tube). It's one of the best cremes and you can get it at any Bath & Bodyworks. It's much cheaper online, but this way you can get it Right Now.
    pBBW1-2766765dt.jpg

Brush
    Get one. That's the important bit. Doesn't matter if it's a cheap-ass synthetic hair for $5 from the supermarket; shaving soap doesn't function correctly without a brush.

*EDIT: Wilkinson Sword sells a cheap plastic safety razor outside the US as well. It's called the "Classic" and is just as available on eBay.

enc0re on
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Heh, at least your dad did that much. I was completely solo in this department.

I think I learned how to shave from Danny Glover in Lethal Weapon 3.

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Heh, at least your dad did that much. I was completely solo in this department.

I think I learned how to shave from Danny Glover in Lethal Weapon 3.

My dad bought me a cheapo electric razor that didn't actually do much.

mrflippy on
  • Options
    VistiVisti Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I just read "public" without the "L", and it was 10x weirder.

Ahem.

So, what kind of cream/soap/brush/alum/accessories have you been using along with your new razer? Also, how's the 38C working out for you? Everything I'm reading really recommends the 34C (Merkur HD) for beginners.

Well, since I already had a brush (badger, I believe, kinda short and a little janky from not having been used for years) I'd gotten from my dad once, I decided to go for some soap. I picked a relatively cheap bowl of italian Proraso soap that comes in a nice bowl. It has a great fragrance of eucalyptus and menthol and it's really easy to get a nice lather going even as a beginner. Other than that I have disinfectant alcohol-based locally produced aftershave, that is sort of just like a watery moisturizer, almost.

The 38C is really sweet. I think the 34C was a tad more expensive, so I just went with the 38, because I couldn't tell much of a difference. First thing I noticed (ordered over internet) was that it is significantly shorter than an average multiblade one and quite heavy. There was also a version with a longer handle and on first inspection, I regretted that I hadn't gotten that one, but when I used it, I sort of got why it was this size. It's all about sort of very lightly allowing the weight of the head drop down your skin and let it do the work. The HD is, I believe, even heavier and with a thicker handle, so I assume that's why it's good for a beginner - But really, they looked almost indistinguishable from each other. It's easy to be sort of tempted to press this one down, instead of letting it use its own weight.

Overall, I'm really happy with it, but well.. I don't have anything to compare it to.

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    BackstopBackstop Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    enc0re wrote: »
    The Fusion is basically unaffordable to shave with.

My Dad uses a fresh 5-blade Fusion every WEEK. I can't even start to understand that. I use a 2-blade Sensor for at least 3 months (shave erry day) before I change it out, sometimes more. Maybe my face is just that smooth. All I use is hot water and Edge Sensitive Skin (the orange cap), no brush or anything. I also dry the blade off before I put it away, I heard that helps it last longer.

Backstop on
  • Options
    MadpandaMadpanda suburbs west of chicagoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I just started using a safety razor last week after getting sick of crappy disposables.

I went with the Merkur 28c, long handle. I understand why the HD is recommended but it just looked too short, I could easily see cutting my hand with it. The long handle fits perfectly.

I do need to use a minimal amount of pressure, but its more like moving the razor around as opposed to forcing it to cut.

Still need to work on my technique, pretty sure I am using too much of an angle as it slightly drags.

Went with a cheap badger hair brush which I will probably replace this year, some Taylor of old Bond Street Sandlewood cream, Col Conks Bay Rum soap (haven't tried this yet but it smells great, almost like chai tea), and some Proraso non alcoholic aftershave.

Also picked up a Styptic Pencil which causes nicks to stop bleeding instantly, and really doesn't sting that badly.

I need to find a good container for making lathers though, a coffee cup seems too small and the only other thing I have is a giant bowl.

Madpanda on
    camo_sig2.png
    Steam/PSN/XBL/Minecraft / LoL / - Benevicious | WoW - Duckwood - Rajhek
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    If your soap is glycerine based, you can drop it in the desired container, carefully microwave it until it's liquid, and then refrigerate it until is re-hardens in the perfect shape.

(Can you tell I've been researching this online all day?)

Houn on
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2010
    Backstop wrote: »

My Dad uses a fresh 5-blade Fusion every WEEK. I can't even start to understand that. I use a 2-blade Sensor for at least 3 months (shave erry day) before I change it out, sometimes more. Maybe my face is just that smooth. All I use is hot water and Edge Sensitive Skin (the orange cap), no brush or anything. I also dry the blade off before I put it away, I heard that helps it last longer.

If he doesn't shave frequently, he's probably choking up the razor. I have the same problem, frequently interrupting my shave to take off the "blade" to get the hair out with my fingers.

I usually lather the stuff with my finger in my palm. When I finish an area, I just take a bit of the top lather from another area and transfer it.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    As a girlfriend, this is a fascinating topic for me. I've had the experience of actually being the one to teach the exboyfriends how to shave, but always used the expensive disposables.

The thought of a safety razor and the whole ritual is just so intriguing.

I have no idea how it would work on female legs or other body parts, or if I'd want to try at all, but really, thinking about it for a guy is kinda cool.

Here's a question though, the last boyfriends that i have all had have been your standard white neckbeard kinda guys (one guy literally could only grow hair on his neck....). But my current boyfriend is Asian.

Is there a difference in shaving times a week or products that he should look into? Or I should look into for him? His hair grows in super slow (it took him like 3 months to grow a goatee), would a safety razor and full kit be just as economical?

lonelyahava on
  • Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    As a girlfriend, this is a fascinating topic for me. I've had the experience of actually being the one to teach the exboyfriends how to shave, but always used the expensive disposables.

I have no idea how it would work on female legs or other body parts, or if I'd want to try at all, but really, thinking about it for a guy is kinda cool.

Here's a question though, the last boyfriends that i have all had have been your standard white neckbeard kinda guys (one guy literally could only grow hair on his neck....). But my current boyfriend is Asian.

Is there a difference in shaving times a week or products that he should look into? Or I should look into for him? His hair grows in super slow (it took him like 3 months to grow a goatee), would a safety razor and full kit be just as economical?

I shave my legs with a safety razor when I'm too lazy to wax them for a while. It works fine.

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010

I honestly sort of struggle to see a point where this isn't economical, seeing as it really is a lot cheaper and the stainless steel blades should stay plenty sharp even with some time inbetween shaves. But really, when blade prices suddenly are measured in cents and not dollars, it makes a big difference. And as I mentioned in the OP, my brand-new stainless steel razor did cost me the same as a five-pack of multiblades. It would make an awesome manly man-gift, too, I think.

I barely grow a beard on my face, but my neckbeard's pretty sturdy. I can get away with shaving maybe once at week if I'm not doing anything and it is still infinitely cheaper for me to do this. Also, there's the whole associated ritual and it's nice to actually get an awesome shave when you then do it.

Actually, I'm thinking I might start shaving a bit more, because it's just sort of relaxing now. You warm your face, you stir up a lather, apply it with a brush and then slowly go over your face and end with some nice moisturizer. It's a really nice thing to do for yourself instead of it just being a chore.

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I got a merkur long-handled razor last year, and I do love it. Originally I would only use it with my brush and soaps, but now my skin is so used to it that I don't even have to and just shave in the shower. Definitely quick once you get it down. Also I bought like 5-7$ worth of blades last year and I don't think I'll run out until next year.

TheLawinator on
    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Tips:
    Learn what direction your facial hair grows in. Mine is fairly linear, but my friend has some crazy fucking swirl pattern. You can learn this by dragging a cotton ball across your face and feeling for the tug. This is important when you shave with, against and/or across the grain.

I have some good soaps and a great badger brush, but this stuff is fucking amazing.
    31on3Ty35mL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
    It's a couple bucks, Amazon and Walmart have it.

And Feather razors whooo.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    MadpandaMadpanda suburbs west of chicagoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010

And Feather razors whoooahhh oh god the bleeding. The wound won't seal!

From what i've heard anyway ;p. I'm not saying they are bad, just sharp as shit.

Madpanda on
    camo_sig2.png
    Steam/PSN/XBL/Minecraft / LoL / - Benevicious | WoW - Duckwood - Rajhek
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Madpanda wrote: »

And Feather razors whoooahhh oh god the bleeding. The wound won't seal!

From what i've heard anyway ;p. I'm not saying they are bad, just sharp as shit.

A sharp knife is a safe knife, same goes for a razor. Just don't be an idiot.

Improvolone on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Tips:
    Learn what direction your facial hair grows in. Mine is fairly linear, but my friend has some crazy fucking swirl pattern. You can learn this by dragging a cotton ball across your face and feeling for the tug. This is important when you shave with, against and/or across the grain.

I have some good soaps and a great badger brush, but this stuff is fucking amazing.

What does it do?

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    AtomBombAtomBomb Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I just bought myself this on ebay for $5.

37745_1151968934786_1694542241_287660_1784750_n.jpg

After a credit I had it came to 25 cents with shipping, so not a bad deal :) Now I just need to find some blades. I was at Target and they didn't have anything, but maybe the grocery or Ace or something will.

AtomBomb on
    I just got a 3DS XL. Add me! 2879-0925-7162
  • Options
    r4dr3zr4dr3z Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    AtomBomb wrote: »
    I just bought myself this on ebay for $5.

37745_1151968934786_1694542241_287660_1784750_n.jpg

After a credit I had it came to 25 cents with shipping, so not a bad deal :) Now I just need to find some blades. I was at Target and they didn't have anything, but maybe the grocery or Ace or something will.

Actually, this was the reason why I gave up on my safety razor and my bowl-and-brush. It's just too much of a PITA to have to go online and order replacement parts every time you're running low. I've since decided to grow a beard and I use the cheap-o disposable razor from Long's Drugs for the parts of my face and neck that still need shaving.

r4dr3z on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I bought a 100 pack of Feather blades from www.westcoastshaving.com. Works out to a few pennies each and will last me a couple years probably (I don't shave that often).

Improvolone on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Visti wrote: »
    Tips:

What does it do?

Its a shave oil, an alternative lubricant to soap or cream. My favorite soap though is Mitchell's Wool Fat (lanolin) soap.

Improvolone on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I bought a 100 pack of Feather blades from www.westcoastshaving.com. Works out to a few pennies each and will last me a couple years probably (I don't shave that often).

That's seems like a great idea, I'm gonna have to find a place that has those around here.

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    NotYouNotYou Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I shave against the grain. With hot water. In the shower. No shaving cream or soap. No mirror.

This safety razor does intrigue me though. Anything that makes me feel more manly in the morning is a plus.

NotYou on
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Scalfin wrote: »

If he doesn't shave frequently, he's probably choking up the razor. I have the same problem, frequently interrupting my shave to take off the "blade" to get the hair out with my fingers.

I usually lather the stuff with my finger in my palm. When I finish an area, I just take a bit of the top lather from another area and transfer it.

I'm in the same boat. I shave 3 times weekly and will wear out a fusion5 blade in a week. Looking into getting the safety razor setup going.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Scalfin wrote: »

I'm in the same boat. I shave 3 times weekly and will wear out a fusion5 blade in a week. Looking into getting the safety razor setup going.

You could almost buy a Merkur razor and some blades a month instead.. Damn.

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    geckahngeckahn Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

That's seems like a great idea, I'm gonna have to find a place that has those around here.

My razor actually came with that 100 pack of shark blades, it was a bundle from amazon. Cost like . . 40 bucks, will last me for a few years.

geckahn on
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Oddly enough, I think i have one of my fathers (grandfathers?) safety razors around somewhere.

intersting, that this is how shaving was done all so many years ago, and now it's becoming popular again. Or maybe that's just me that finds it interesting....

lonelyahava on
  • Options
    geckahngeckahn Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Oddly enough, I think i have one of my fathers (grandfathers?) safety razors around somewhere.

intersting, that this is how shaving was done all so many years ago, and now it's becoming popular again. Or maybe that's just me that finds it interesting....

It's the internet. And it's actually a great potential case study for the power of the net, at least in a couple decades when gilette's revenues have dropped off a cliff because they can't sell people terrible razors for jacked up prices.

geckahn on
  • Options
    MackenzierMackenzier Gold Star Police Ninja Lurking... less than usual.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    jefe414 wrote: »
    MagicPrime wrote: »
    Anyone else here shave in the shower?

I used to shave at the sink and would get horrible razor burn. I got a nice mirror mounted in the shower now and never have that problem anymore.

Only way to do it. Plenty of hot water and steam at the ready.

I guess I'm just a bit odd in that I shave in the shower without the use of a mirror? I usually just get a small start of a centimetre below my sideburns in the mirror beforehand and then go to town on the rest by touch.

Of course, this is with a Schick Cold Fusion Power or whatever.

Mackenzier on
    Steam: Mackenzier
    FFRK: 9rRG
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    geckahn wrote: »

My razor actually came with that 100 pack of shark blades, it was a bundle from amazon. Cost like . . 40 bucks, will last me for a few years.

I have never heard of or used Shark blades, but its worth noting that not all blades are created equal. Hell, different razor handles can be a totally different shave. I kinda wish I got a slant bar when I started. Course, now I want to give straight razors a shot...

Improvolone on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Well, after perusing this thread it's decided. When my current supply of Mach 3 blades runs out, rather than drop $20 or so on another 10-pack, I'm just going to go ahead and hit amazon.com and hook up with a low-end safety razor.

If I wind up digging it, I will of course scrounge on eBay and find something old and sexy to try out.

Oh, and a nice razor, too.

But seriously, I'm sick of paying a lot of money for shitty shaves.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Buying shitty gear won't help you enjoy your shave.

Improvolone on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I think I've decided to pick up a Merkur 34C. This sounds awesome by all accounts. I too wish to claim my place among the ranks of manly shaving men, and as we all know, DE Shaving is only scant steps behind the Straight Razor, Machete, and Grizzly Bear methods.

Houn on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    When buying blades, a lot of people suggest buying sample packs from West Coast Shaving. I suggest just getting Feathers. The sample packs, while interesting, really do include some crap that no one likes.

Lee's Razors has a spectacular 12 days of Christmas sale come December.

Improvolone on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

Well, I figure dropping $25 on a razor (then also buying all the various accessories needed) should give me an idea if I dig it. It'll cost me more than the $20 I'd have handed over to Gillette, but seems like it'll be well worth it.

I just wish there was somewhere to get my gear locally...this seems like the kind of thing I'd like to "hold" before I buy, to get a feel for things. I'm a ferry ride from Seattle, and there's bound to be somewhere there, but I have no idea where to start looking.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Hot towel plus multiblade razor=perfect shave every time.

Sometimes there are advantages to having sparse facial hair.

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    mcdermott wrote: »

Well, I figure dropping $25 on a razor (then also buying all the various accessories needed) should give me an idea if I dig it. It'll cost me more than the $20 I'd have handed over to Gillette, but seems like it'll be well worth it.

I just wish there was somewhere to get my gear locally...this seems like the kind of thing I'd like to "hold" before I buy, to get a feel for things. I'm a ferry ride from Seattle, and there's bound to be somewhere there, but I have no idea where to start looking.

You can get a nice handle for $25, absolutely. Unfortunately though, yea, not much stuff you can find in brick and mortar stores. Badger and Blade is a great forum that has a very active BST area. Members are often selling gear they don't use anymore and I'm sure you can get a great starter package from over there.

Improvolone on