Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[Mini-Phalla]: Earth Defense Fleet No. 3 - GAME OVER. VILLAGE VICTORY.

145791028

Posts

  • 3clipse3clipse I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    D'oh, nevermind, I fail at reading comprehension.

    3clipse on
    YaYa wrote: »
    FUCK YEAH LET'S FIGHT THE MOON
  • adventfallsadventfalls Why would you wish to know? Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    You all realize that *someone* has to be voted out, right?

    And that we have no idea what will happen in the event of a tie? We could have a situation where everyone dies, where the 'winner' is picked by RNG....

    adventfalls on
    NintendoID: AdventFalls 3DS Code: 3454-0237-6080
  • CapfalconCapfalcon Tunnel Snakes Rule Capital WastelandRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    You all realize that *someone* has to be voted out, right?

    And that we have no idea what will happen in the event of a tie? We could have a situation where everyone dies, where the 'winner' is picked by RNG....

    Obviously, a d30 is the only fair way to resolve this.

    Capfalcon on
  • The AnonymousThe Anonymous Uh, uh, uhhhhhh... Uh, uh.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    You all realize that *someone* has to be voted out, right?
    The Ender wrote: »
    EDIT: And no, nobody needs to vote if they'd wish to do so.
    And that we have no idea what will happen in the event of a tie? We could have a situation where everyone dies, where the 'winner' is picked by RNG....
    Now, what happens if there's a tie?

    The Anonymous on
  • 3clipse3clipse I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    You all realize that *someone* has to be voted out, right?

    And that we have no idea what will happen in the event of a tie? We could have a situation where everyone dies, where the 'winner' is picked by RNG....

    I doubt that's true, since Ender said we don't have to vote.

    If no one votes, what happens?

    Oh, and way to make yourself look suspicious, advent.

    3clipse on
    YaYa wrote: »
    FUCK YEAH LET'S FIGHT THE MOON
  • adventfallsadventfalls Why would you wish to know? Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Frostmist

    But if this one bites us in the ass, I blame you. This seems like a question better suited for a clarification or the Encyclopedia.

    EDIT: Didn't notice that we actually *have* asked for a clarification on this.

    adventfalls on
    NintendoID: AdventFalls 3DS Code: 3454-0237-6080
  • Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    yeah, not voting someone out is a terrible idea.

    I am on the fence wether it is a mafia terrible or just stupid terrible.

    the vote is a tool and using it is 95% of the time better than not. even if you don't hit a mafia you get vote records which do help those who know how to look. in this case, we don't know how the traitor will be able to affect how our ships or what they can do to us or what we can do to the enemy ships.

    I am all for another target besides the anonymous and I'll just go with Capfalcon

    Dunadan019 on
  • 3clipse3clipse I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So advent and Duna are probably mafia.

    That's cool.

    3clipse on
    YaYa wrote: »
    FUCK YEAH LET'S FIGHT THE MOON
  • Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Capfalcon for the nonediting

    Dunadan019 on
  • romanqwertyromanqwerty Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Capfalcon for more self preservation.

    romanqwerty on
  • Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    3clipse wrote: »
    So advent and Duna are probably mafia.

    That's cool.

    yes, as a mafia we decided to argue against the tactic that would help us for no reason other to be vocal targets for others to become suspicious of.

    Dunadan019 on
  • CapfalconCapfalcon Tunnel Snakes Rule Capital WastelandRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    *sigh*

    !T_A

    Capfalcon on
  • romanqwertyromanqwerty Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    In principle it might be good to not vote someone out, but realistically, thats not going to happen and we may as well vote out a good target rather than a bad one.

    romanqwerty on
  • 3clipse3clipse I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Like...seriously guys?

    This is one of the more obvious mafia gambits I've ever seen.

    3clipse on
    YaYa wrote: »
    FUCK YEAH LET'S FIGHT THE MOON
  • CapfalconCapfalcon Tunnel Snakes Rule Capital WastelandRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'd vote Duna for being a goose, but I'd much prefer not getting spaced...

    Capfalcon on
  • Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    3clipse wrote: »
    Like...seriously guys?

    This is one of the more obvious mafia gambits I've ever seen.

    you're not thinking about this at all are you?

    maybe you just need to play a few more games or smack your head against the wall.

    Dunadan019 on
  • 3clipse3clipse I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Dunadan019 wrote: »
    3clipse wrote: »
    Like...seriously guys?

    This is one of the more obvious mafia gambits I've ever seen.

    you're not thinking about this at all are you?

    maybe you just need to play a few more games or smack your head against the wall.

    I would probably be more inclined to believe you if I hadn't seen you play as mafia before.

    But you're not obvious when you play mafia. So I don't believe you.

    3clipse on
    YaYa wrote: »
    FUCK YEAH LET'S FIGHT THE MOON
  • FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    In principle it might be good to not vote someone out, but realistically, thats not going to happen and we may as well vote out a good target rather than a bad one.

    But it's day 1. There are no good targets.

    Dunadan

    Farangu on
  • CelebrimCelebrim Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Bremen wrote: »
    I know there is at least one traitor on each ship. I know that the traitor on my ship is not me. Therefor, I know that the other players on my ship are statistically more likely to be traitor than a random pick.

    Sorry, Celebrim, but logic doesn't lie.

    Bremen does make a good point so I'll vote for the same reasons.

    It is a double edged sword though, as we risk giving the rebels control if we don't find them until the last crew member.

    Celebrim on
  • CapfalconCapfalcon Tunnel Snakes Rule Capital WastelandRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Fine. Just so you see why this is a bad idea...

    EPIC REVEAL!
    Sulu_2267B_Big.jpg

    I'm the Helmsman. Aside from the Tactical Officer, I'm arguably the most important person in a fight.
    You want to dodge that shot? I'm your man.
    You want to retreat so we can repair? You got it.
    You want to set up an attack run? It's done.

    This is why we don't want to randomly space people. I'm important to making sure we live through this fight.

    A ship without a Captain is going to fail more often at its duties.
    A ship without its Tactical Officer is going to be offensively gimped.
    A ship without an Engineer is only going to have its health and shields heading one way. Down.
    A ship without a Science Officer is going to lose some really neat tricks, in addition to not being able to use torpedoes after the first few volleys.

    Hell. I'm all for all of us making it through this fight until the inquisitors can sort it out. If anyone breaks with what their ship agrees is best to do, THEN we space them. But we don't start throwing loyal officers out of the airlock because we'll just be weaker when the mafia eventually tips their hand.

    Capfalcon on
  • RingoRingo Out of things to say Heartbreak HillRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    If the mafia doesn't get a traditional kill then blind voting is doing their job for them.

    Void Slayer

    ABSTAIN

    Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    If Duna wants the vote so badly, let's give it to him.

    Each person on the ship knows the roles of the others on their ship. So when a ship doesn't get repaired like it should, or if it moves closer to the enemy, or if it doesn't fire on the Venetians, it's pretty simple to figure out who's responsible. That's almost as powerful as the vote in this case.

    Farangu on
  • The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I doubt that's true, since Ender said we don't have to vote.

    If no one votes, what happens?

    If nobody votes, nobody gets airlocked.

    The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • 3clipse3clipse I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Seriously though, like, everyone advocating the vote is probably mafia. The vote can only hurt us in this game.

    3clipse on
    YaYa wrote: »
    FUCK YEAH LET'S FIGHT THE MOON
  • adventfallsadventfalls Why would you wish to know? Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    ....No one gets airlocked? That's definitely a change of pace.

    So I'm in favor of either trying to not airlock anyone or airlocking Dunadan.

    EDIT: And since Dunadan will probably *not* withdraw his vote, I doubt we'll get away from today without spacing someone. Maybe.

    adventfalls on
    NintendoID: AdventFalls 3DS Code: 3454-0237-6080
  • 3clipse3clipse I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm starting a Dunadan counter-wagon.

    Because I'm fairly sure he's bad news, and this is the only way to prevent someone useful from getting spaced.

    After today I don't plan on voting, but I'd rather see someone like Duna eat vacuum then someone who we need.

    3clipse on
    YaYa wrote: »
    FUCK YEAH LET'S FIGHT THE MOON
  • CapfalconCapfalcon Tunnel Snakes Rule Capital WastelandRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The Ender wrote: »
    I doubt that's true, since Ender said we don't have to vote.

    If no one votes, what happens?

    If nobody votes, nobody gets airlocked.

    Hey, look !Dunagoose! If no one wants to throw anyone out of the airlock, we don't acutally HAVE to throw anyone out of the airlock.

    You know, like the way most military vessels would work!

    Capfalcon on
  • Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I am also the helmsman,

    But I'm on the battleship with all the guns.

    Dunadan019 on
  • Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    3clipse for being silly and of no use.

    not to mention his apparant inability to think clearly about the game he's playing.

    Dunadan019 on
  • CapfalconCapfalcon Tunnel Snakes Rule Capital WastelandRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Dunadan019 wrote: »
    I am also the helmsman,

    But I'm on the battleship with all the guns.

    And as I said before, we really shouldn't throw you out the airlock without a good reason.

    However, you are making a pretty good reason with your insistence that SOMEONE has to be thrown out the airlock, reasons be damned.

    Capfalcon on
  • Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    3clipse wrote: »
    Dunadan019 wrote: »
    3clipse wrote: »
    Like...seriously guys?

    This is one of the more obvious mafia gambits I've ever seen.

    you're not thinking about this at all are you?

    maybe you just need to play a few more games or smack your head against the wall.

    I would probably be more inclined to believe you if I hadn't seen you play as mafia before.

    But you're not obvious when you play mafia. So I don't believe you.

    I don't care if you believe me or not, you've now twice shown yourself to be misguided and quite terrible.

    1) you think not using the vote is a good idea.

    2) you think I'm mafia.

    Dunadan019 on
  • 3clipse3clipse I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Duna, I have never seen you play this stupidly before.

    I'm the one not thinking clearly?

    Ender just told us no one has to die.

    Since every person in this game has a valuable role, killing anyone reduces our chance of winning.

    Therefore, the smartest thing to do is...

    *drumroll*

    NOT KILL ANYONE

    The fact that you're advocating so strongly that someone has to die implies to me that your win condition lies contrary to the villages.

    20% mafia gives us a really crappy chance of actually hitting mafia, especially day 1. Therefore, voting someone out day 1 gives us a good chance of voting out a villager, which screws us over. Waiting to see if sabotage occurs gives us a much better chance of figuring out if we need to actually space people.

    3clipse on
    YaYa wrote: »
    FUCK YEAH LET'S FIGHT THE MOON
  • Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Capfalcon wrote: »
    Dunadan019 wrote: »
    I am also the helmsman,

    But I'm on the battleship with all the guns.

    And as I said before, we really shouldn't throw you out the airlock without a good reason.

    However, you are making a pretty good reason with your insistence that SOMEONE has to be thrown out the airlock, reasons be damned.

    if you want to vote me out then go for it.

    NOT VOTING SOMEONE OUT IS A TERRIBLE FUCKING IDEA. PERIOD.

    Dunadan019 on
  • Void SlayerVoid Slayer Very Suspicious Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Thank you Ringo, that really is the voice of reason you can get revenge later in this or another another game. :)

    Some people seem very intent on killing someone off tonight, even though the chance of killing a villager by random/vendetta/mistake purposes is very high.

    Even if all villagers abstain and one villager is killed by a mafia vote, we will then know who the mafia is and be able to take them out(at least some of them). And if no one is voted out by the mafia then they lose a chance to kill one of us off. We don't know what powers the mafia has but panicking and hoping to randomly get one is a bad move, the chances are terrible. If the group NEEDS to panic we can all do so at a later time, here it will only hurt the majority.

    That said, Is not voting the same as abstaining?

    Villagers please do not vote. Mafia, you better not vote either.

    Void Slayer on
    He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
  • CapfalconCapfalcon Tunnel Snakes Rule Capital WastelandRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Dunadan019 wrote: »
    I don't care if you believe me or not, you've now twice shown yourself to be misguided and quite terrible.

    1) you think not using the vote is a good idea.

    2) you think I'm mafia.

    Not using the vote is normally a bad idea. However, this game is significantly different than other games.

    The MAFIA is the one on the clock here. THEY'RE the ones the status quo is going to screw.

    In a normal game, the village has X days to get rid of the mafia or they lose.
    In this game, the Mafia has to destroy all the ships (or get rid of the villagers using the vote) before the three battleships get destroyed. If we all just sat back and did our jobs, this would be a walk in the park. But the mafia is here, and they're going to try and sabotage our efforts. And when something goes wrong, we then have some leads to follow up on.

    Capfalcon on
  • adventfallsadventfalls Why would you wish to know? Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Void, that's a nice idea, except for the following-

    -People have already voted and will probably *not* get back to their compys in time to retract
    -Dunadan019, who may or may not be village, has already established that he's going to vote and nothing will change his mind.

    Also, Dunadan is making himself look bad by continuing to press for a vote in spite of the fact that no one needs to be spaced.

    With that in mind, Dunadan.

    adventfalls on
    NintendoID: AdventFalls 3DS Code: 3454-0237-6080
  • Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    3clipse wrote: »
    Duna, I have never seen you play this stupidly before.

    I'm the one not thinking clearly?

    Ender just told us no one has to die.

    Since every person in this game has a valuable role, killing anyone reduces our chance of winning.

    Therefore, the smartest thing to do is...

    *drumroll*

    NOT KILL ANYONE

    The fact that you're advocating so strongly that someone has to die implies to me that your win condition lies contrary to the villages.

    20% mafia gives us a really crappy chance of actually hitting mafia, especially day 1. Therefore, voting someone out day 1 gives us a good chance of voting out a villager, which screws us over. Waiting to see if sabotage occurs gives us a much better chance of figuring out if we need to actually space people.

    you're so ...... it hurts my head.

    have you ever heard of a prisoner's dilema? now imagine one with 30 people in it and 5 of those people actively want the other 25 dead. the reason the vote works is because people can look at the reasons people give to vote one way or another and see who seems to push back when one person is being bandwagoned and who acts the way a mafia would act when someone not on their team dies.

    If you think that killing the NPCs and ignoring the infiltrators who have powers adverse to each ship is a good idea than I welcome you to vote me out so I can look back after you've lost and say 'I told you so'

    Dunadan019 on
  • FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Void Slayer's plan sounds good after Dunadan is gone.

    Farangu on
  • Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Capfalcon wrote: »
    Dunadan019 wrote: »
    I don't care if you believe me or not, you've now twice shown yourself to be misguided and quite terrible.

    1) you think not using the vote is a good idea.

    2) you think I'm mafia.

    Not using the vote is normally a bad idea. However, this game is significantly different than other games.

    The MAFIA is the one on the clock here. THEY'RE the ones the status quo is going to screw.

    In a normal game, the village has X days to get rid of the mafia or they lose.
    In this game, the Mafia has to destroy all the ships (or get rid of the villagers using the vote) before the three battleships get destroyed. If we all just sat back and did our jobs, this would be a walk in the park. But the mafia is here, and they're going to try and sabotage our efforts. And when something goes wrong, we then have some leads to follow up on.

    yeah, and what if the mafia can sneak around and attempt to counteract someone's ability? its one person per 5 and we know that when that one person is gone that ship is clean.

    also,

    YOU ARE CRIPPLING THE BIGGEST SHIP IN THE FLEET BY KILLING ME

    Dunadan019 on
  • FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Dunadan019 wrote: »
    3clipse wrote: »
    Duna, I have never seen you play this stupidly before.

    I'm the one not thinking clearly?

    Ender just told us no one has to die.

    Since every person in this game has a valuable role, killing anyone reduces our chance of winning.

    Therefore, the smartest thing to do is...

    *drumroll*

    NOT KILL ANYONE

    The fact that you're advocating so strongly that someone has to die implies to me that your win condition lies contrary to the villages.

    20% mafia gives us a really crappy chance of actually hitting mafia, especially day 1. Therefore, voting someone out day 1 gives us a good chance of voting out a villager, which screws us over. Waiting to see if sabotage occurs gives us a much better chance of figuring out if we need to actually space people.

    you're so ...... it hurts my head.

    have you ever heard of a prisoner's dilema? now imagine one with 30 people in it and 5 of those people actively want the other 25 dead. the reason the vote works is because people can look at the reasons people give to vote one way or another and see who seems to push back when one person is being bandwagoned and who acts the way a mafia would act when someone not on their team dies.

    If you think that killing the NPCs and ignoring the infiltrators who have powers adverse to each ship is a good idea than I welcome you to vote me out so I can look back after you've lost and say 'I told you so'

    Yes, Duna. I've heard of the prisoner's dilemma. There's a problem for you with this analogy, though.

    So far you're the only one that wants anyone dead. Also, as has been mentioned, there is really no reason anyone merits death on Day 1 aside from grudges and RNG's.

    Farangu on
Sign In or Register to comment.