As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

a

• Options
    DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Well, really, she only threatened to run dry when she was leveling up other classes while spamming Solar Flair all the time.

Darian on
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Sweet! Just picked up some Metal Slime Armor! It goes nicely with the Sword I've had for a while now.

EDIT: And a Critical Fan! I'm definitely revisiting this grotto.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    gnodabgnodab Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I really wish there were some cooler wizard robes to wear.

The Xenlon Robe has good stats, but it's dumb and green and doesn't compliment the vast majority of hats very well at all

gnodab on
  • Options
    YggiDeeYggiDee The World Ends With You Shill Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Yaaaay wifi worked today

now I can dress as Alena

my slime rampage can begin

YggiDee on
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Someone tell me about this custom map mode tycho was talking about awhile ago. I intend to take advantage of this WiFi thing at PAX.

Houn on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    At Stornway, talk to Erin and you can canvas for quests (other players also in canvas mode). When canvasing, you have the option to bring a map with you; new people will show up in your inn. Speak to them to get the map they are sharing.

Darian on
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So, I need to get far enough into the game to have a map to take along, otherwise, people will get mad at me for wasting space in their Inn.

Houn on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Nah, they need to get 30 people to fill their inn and gain access to all the areas (roped off areas at the inn open up as you get more and more guests).

Darian on
  • Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    It could actually be argued they'd rather not waste map space on low-level maps if they already have maps

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Dracil wrote: »
    It could actually be argued they'd rather not waste map space on low-level maps if they already have maps

Maps can be thrown away. Getting the tags is more important.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    RedMageDarionRedMageDarion Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Man I just got a Hallowed Helm from one of the Grotto bosses, and it's like +20 defense no matter who I equip it on!

Too bad it clashes with ALL of their outfits and also looks silly in general. :(

I also picked up a level 87 map, so THAT was awesome anyhow!

RedMageDarion on
    Pokemon White - 3954.6369.6328
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Man I just got a Hallowed Helm from one of the Grotto bosses, and it's like +20 defense no matter who I equip it on!

Too bad it clashes with ALL of their outfits and also looks silly in general. :(

Upgrading it to a Heavenly Helm (several orbs and Agate of Evolutions later :( ) will turn it into a burnished gold color. It also matches perfectly with the other grotto drop heavy armors like the Vespa Gauntlets and Victorious Armor. A full set will make you look like a red knight with a purple cape.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    RedMageDarionRedMageDarion Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »

Upgrading it to a Heavenly Helm (several orbs and Agate of Evolutions later :( ) will turn it into a burnished gold color. It also matches perfectly with the other grotto drop heavy armors like the Vespa Gauntlets and Victorious Armor. A full set will make you look like a red knight with a purple cape.
    Very good to know.

Fashion >> Function :)

RedMageDarion on
    Pokemon White - 3954.6369.6328
  • Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    My Hero is currently wearing:

Erdrick's Helm
    Erdrick's Shield
    Tropotoga
    Dragon Warrior's Boots
    Uber Falcon Blade

And he looks awesome.

Artereis on
  • Options
    Kin33Kin33 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I played this game up to where I just got to all-trade abbey. Having a blast so much that I've started up Dragon Quest VIII again when I have some spare time at home. I don't know why but I'm having way more fun this time in DQVIII then when I tried it the first time. The first time I found it pretty boring and stopped when I got the alchemy pot.

Kin33 on
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    God I hate Krak Pot. Something about the little bastard drives me insane.

Kupi on
    My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    AhiMahi wrote: »
    HeraldS wrote: »
    Here is a new tool for analyzing the chests in your grottoes before you even go in them. This page is where you input your map name, level, and location. This page is how you figure out the location. Once you plug all that in you'll get a link that says "MAP" and underneath it will tell you how many S, A, and B rank chests you have. If you click on the link it will show you what floor they're on. Be aware that on the floor by floor breakdown, S=r, A=`, and B=a.

So for example, on my map Ruby World of Gloom lvl. 90 @ location 82, I have 1 S, 7 A's, and 2 B's. The S is on B13, the A's on B6, B7, B8, B10, B11, and B12, and the B's on B8 & B9.

Enjoy, and feel free to ask questions.
    Thanks and this is great!

This is going to save me some time. Can I request this info to be included in OP?

Had to search back through the thread for this; SO NICE

Darian on
  • Options
    ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Juuust finished the game. ON TO POST-GAME!

Still have to finish the L40 quest for my Armamentalist and get my Sage unlocked, though. So many quests appearing now!

Imperfect on
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I couldn't get this working, but this rocks: http://www.woodus.com/den/games/dq9ds/tms/

Basically, it's a search engine for map locations.

KiTA on
  • Options
    ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Bah, just ran a L4 grotto and got an L3 map. Lame. Is a "revocation" just a class change? I'd heard that changes the quality of the maps you get, and my MC has switched classes like 4 times now.

Imperfect on
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    revocation is hitting level 99 with a class and resetting back to lvl 1

your highest class level on your main character is a factor, and a revocation is a +5

so if your highest class on your main character is a 70 minstrel, and he also revocated gladiator once, he would effect the next dungeon map by 75. if the old dungeon map was lvl 50, then the next map would have a number of 125 for whatever however that works. I just remember you want 210-240 for the best s rank chests and whatever possible, which means a lvl 99 map + a lvl 99 mc, plus the mc having revocated 3 times at least

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Revocation is when you have a level 99 character and reset him to level 1 in that class. However, you keep all of the skill points your earned and can earn them all again as you re-level. You also get a special accessory for the class you revocated as.

When determining the map quality of any treasure map you receive, it uses the level of your main character's highest vocation in the formula. Each time you revocate you get a x5 bonus to this. So if you are level 99 you'd get +99 to map quality, if you then revocate to level 1 and your highest other vocation was only 30, you would still be getting +150 instead.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    oh? i didn't think it worked that way. but then again i'm no where near that far into it yet

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So what you're saying is that you could play this game forever.

HamHamJ on
    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So...I think I only need to unlock Luminary. I've been running around Slime Hill (which somehow feels slower than the Bowhole...) What should I do first? I have a Treasure Map from some quest. Then again, there's class quests right? So much to do...

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Rami wrote: »
    Revocation is when you have a level 99 character and reset him to level 1 in that class. However, you keep all of the skill points your earned and can earn them all again as you re-level. You also get a special accessory for the class you revocated as.

When determining the map quality of any treasure map you receive, it uses the level of your main character's highest vocation in the formula. Each time you revocate you get a x5 bonus to this. So if you are level 99 you'd get +99 to map quality, if you then revocate to level 1 and your highest other vocation was only 30, you would still be getting +150 instead.

Um, no.

It's Number of revocations x 10.

So in your instance, other was 30, 1 revocation... +40.

KiTA on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    KiTA wrote: »

Um, no.

It's Number of revocations x 10.

So in your instance, other was 30, 1 revocation... +40.

Actually, both wrong.

New Quality = Hero's Maximum Vocation Level + 5*Hero's Maximum Revocation + Level of Previous Grotto

Rami on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So then, I reckon the best way to game the grotto system would be to level one class up to 99, but leave it there. Take a second class, and level it to 99 and revocate the hell out of it. That way you always have a lv99 in the calculation that won't fluctuate every time you revocate back down.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    That is exactly what I've been doing; still haven't revocated my main gal yet, since I'm still bringing the second class up to 99.

Darian on
  • Options
    SlayerVinSlayerVin Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    HamHamJ wrote: »

This game essentially ends when you perish (in real life) or get bored of it. Whichever comes first.

SlayerVin on
    BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS!
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    SlayerVin wrote: »
    HamHamJ wrote: »

This game essentially ends when you perish (in real life) or get bored of it. Whichever comes first.

The physical absolute end of the game would be Patty's Pub filled with characters with the best equips, max stats, max levels, max skills, all quests completed, full alchemy list all optional bosses up to level 99.

Would probably take a few thousand hours.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    The physical absolute end of the game would be Patty's Pub filled with characters with the best equips, max stats, max levels, max skills, all quests completed, full alchemy list all optional bosses up to level 99.

Would probably take a few thousand hours.

You forgot all optional bosses at level 99 killed in just one round.

Darian on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I don't even know if that is possible with the best equipment and max stats as I think this game has a hard damage cap and that x4 is still lower than the final HP totals of the bosses.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Can you just beat them all in one round when they're at level 1, and then keep that record when they level, or does it reset the record?

Besides that, just have to calculate the minimum number of rounds, I guess.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Resets the record every time they gain a level.

Darian on
  • Options
    BillmaanBillmaan Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I don't even know if that is possible with the best equipment and max stats as I think this game has a hard damage cap and that x4 is still lower than the final HP totals of the bosses.

You can do at least 7996 damage in a single attack, and no boss gets anywhere close to four times that. You definitely can't hit that hard with all four characters in the first round of combat, though.

Billmaan on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    That's what I was getting at. It's 1999 per swing. You're not going to get even close to that number against a level 99 boss no matter what your stats are.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    What about using the manual that allows you to store tension between battles?

Rami on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Satanic JesusSatanic Jesus Hi, I'm Liam! with broken glassesRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Is Erdrick's sword good or should I keep the Orichalcum for something else?

Satanic Jesus on
    my backloggery 3DS: 0533-5338-5186 steam: porcelain_cow goodreads
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    What about using the manual that allows you to store tension between battles?
    I'm pretty sure you lose some or all of the tension when you area transition. The legacy bosses are inside a 1 floor grotto with no trash mobs around them to spam tension, so you'd beat up trash mobs outside the grotto and then change zones. I'll have to see if it gets removed.

EDIT: All tension bonuses are removed when you transition into the legacy boss's grotto.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png