As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

a

• Options
    hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    akjak wrote: »
    I just beat my second treasure map, and the new one has metal medleys! Not a whole floor of them, sadly, but perhaps it will tide me over until PAX and raking in the MKS maps.

I'm pretty much in the same boat and I'm pretty stoked. Beat my first map and it gave a nice Level 4 map that has a boatload of Metal Medleys on the first floor.

Then, of course, after I steamrolled through it I brazenly jumped into the Level 14 Map I had from somewhere else only to get completely destroyed by the boss. derp overconfidence :P

hatedinamerica on
  • Options
    DritzDritz CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Managed to beat
    Atlas
    , he was pretty easy (though I did need to manually control my priest). Think I might accept the steal quest that has to do with him. Is there any indication when the item is ready to be stolen?

Dritz on
    There I was, 3DS: 2621-2671-9899 (Ekera), Wii U: LostCrescendo
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Dritz wrote: »
    Managed to beat
    Atlas
    , he was pretty easy (though I did need to manually control my priest). Think I might accept the steal quest that has to do with him. Is there any indication when the item is ready to be stolen?

Nope, gotta break out the abacus for him. He's got ~6500 HP, so count up and when you hit 6000 go for it.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I was expecting Tyrannosaurus Wrecks to be difficult, but he was disappointingly simple.

Artereis on
  • Options
    DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I still cannot find him anywhere.

Darian on
  • Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Not entirely related, but I just spent my lunch break, in my car, with the AC blasting, munching on some chicken nuggets, playing DQ9. Viva la handheld awesomeness.

You're a Greenpeace nightmare, lol

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Neat! Picked up my first piece of grotto gear! Vesta Gauntlets.

*shiiiny*

Imperfect on
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Vegan wrote: »
    Not entirely related, but I just spent my lunch break, in my car, with the AC blasting, munching on some chicken nuggets, playing DQ9. Viva la handheld awesomeness.

You're a Greenpeace nightmare, lol

Pretty much, yep. When Greenpeace pays for my gas, they can tell me how to use it :P

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Ragin' Contagion: Funny name, difficult fight.

Houn on
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Houn wrote: »

Huzzah! Someone as early in the game as me with posts I can relate to!

I found Ragin' to be really easy though. I can't even remember his tactics much, just that I must have either been over-equipped or over levelled as nobody came close to death.

The previous Boss was much harder, or rather more annoying, as I seemed to spend a majority of the fight with two or three characters stunned into immobility with nothing but I could do bring them back into the fight but wait for them to naturally recover.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2010

I found Ragin' to be really easy though. I can't even remember his tactics much, just that I must have either been over-equipped or over levelled as nobody came close to death.

The previous Boss was much harder, or rather more annoying, as I seemed to spend a majority of the fight with two or three characters stunned into immobility with nothing but I could do bring them back into the fight but wait for them to naturally recover.

I'm pretty sure I was underleveled. The thief went down early, and I kept struggling to keep the rest of the party alive. Spent the early half of the fight like this:

Monk Attack
    Minstrel Egg on Monk (Tens. 5)
    Round A:
    Monk Psyche Up (Tens. 20)
    Minstrel Egg on Monk (Tens. 50)
    Round B:
    Monk Attack for 100-ish
    Minstrel Egg on and repeat

Houn on
  • Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Holy shit. Guys. I have it. PlusAlpha finally answered me. I thought they just blew me off, but they finally answered me. Contained within this spoiler is the answer to Batsureg. I am giving all of you guys the first rights. That's right, the PA forums are getting the exclusive answer before it spreads across the internet. I give to you

Batsureg: Explained
    Dear [My name removed],

Thanks for your interest in Dragon Quest IX and its translation, and for your question about Batsureg. I'm sorry it's taken so long to reply to you, but we've been rather busy.

Well, contrary to popular belief, there isn't a pun in every single name we come up with for the Dragon Quest series - just most of them! However, there is a reason behind every single name. In this case, we felt bound to follow the visual cues of the people of this land, who are nomadic and occupy yurts. We felt the overall tone was that of Mongolia, so that's where the naming ideas come from.

'Batsureg' means 'strong herd'. We named the father and son chiefs, 'Batkhaan' ('strong leader / king') and 'Batzorig' ('strong and courageous') first, and wanted the 'Bat-' prefix to follow through in the place name for continuity. 'Bat-' actually means 'son of'.

You rightly noticed that 'Sarantsatsral' (meaning 'moonlight') is the reverse of 'Larstastnaras'. That was done because the boss character was supposed to speak in a babbling, hypnotic kind of way, and we felt that reversing words would fit in well with that. In the end, though, I'm not sure she had any lines!

You might also have noticed that the characterisation in this area is based loosely on some common Mongol idioms and peculiarities of Mongol speech. Some of the proverbs are translations of genuine Mongol proverbs.

Anyway, I hope that answers your question. Enjoy the rest of the game!

Thanks,

Will

Oh my god I can finally sleep easy now.

Gilder on
  • Options
    SipexSipex Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    That is awesome.

Sipex on
  • Options
    DorkmanDorkman Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Is there anywhere to get Mythril Ore without camping at the Overworld spot outside of Batsureg? That is all I need to get meself the Express quest done, but for some reason I can't find any.

I have left my DS in sleep mode for a good 2-3 day at this point and it still hasn't respawned, so at this point I am willing to crack some skulls to find it!

Dorkman on
    Poke Black 2 FC: 0390 6923 7158
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    So, now that I've finished the Coffinwell quest, should I give Stella the OK and head off, or is there anything I should take care of first?

Houn on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Try staying at the inn in Stornway, saving and powering down completely. Those are rumored to help cause a world map item respawn.

Otherwise, here are all the places Mythril Ore can drop:
    Mythril ore
    (gather)
    Void droid (#228) (steal/win, common, 1/32)
    Metal medley (#089) (steal/win, rare, 1/128)
    Golem (#161) (steal/win, rare, 1/128)
    grotto (find, rank 8 chest, 13%)
    grotto (find, rank 6 chest, 10%)

@Houn: Give her the OK.

Darian on
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Dorkman wrote: »
    Is there anywhere to get Mythril Ore without camping at the Overworld spot outside of Batsureg? That is all I need to get meself the Express quest done, but for some reason I can't find any.

I have left my DS in sleep mode for a good 2-3 day at this point and it still hasn't respawned, so at this point I am willing to crack some skulls to find it!

The DQVC theme this week is Alchemaid 2, and last night's batch of things had a Mithiril Ore in it for 3k.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

Waiting in sleep mode doesn't make it respawn faster. Try running a grotto or grinding out some combat or something. For every grotto that I finish, the world respawns some alchemy items.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Darian wrote: »
    I still cannot find him anywhere.

Same here. I've hit Excalipurr twice and #12 once, but no Wrecks.

My last few grotto runs have yielded poor chests (mostly alchemy mats and mini-medals, bleh), but I did manage to find a second Metal Slime Armor and an Angel Bow. The MSA looks especially badass with the Skull Cap from last week's DQVC.

Up to 90% of the bestiary. Some interesting/curious gaps before the bosses start... but at least I've found both re-skins of Traumy (it helps that they appear on the same floors). I think I've seen almost every boss model reskinned except for the very final ones (which probably don't exist).

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I still need a second set of metal slime boots so I can give one away for the quest; I don't think I've found any S-rank chests yet, though. :?

Darian on
  • Options
    DorkmanDorkman Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

The DQVC theme this week is Alchemaid 2, and last night's batch of things had a Mithiril Ore in it for 3k.

Yeah I managed to finally get connected to DQVC, but the best thing I could buy was Royal soil. Off to grind I guess!

Dorkman on
    Poke Black 2 FC: 0390 6923 7158
  • Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Alchaid 2 has been completely useless for me. I can't remember the time I didn't buy at least one item from DQVC, and for two days in a row now there hasn't been a single worthwhile purchase.

Artereis on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

I'm pretty sure I was underleveled. The thief went down early, and I kept struggling to keep the rest of the party alive. Spent the early half of the fight like this:

Monk Attack
    Round A:
    Round B:
    Monk Attack for 100-ish

Oh man, thieves! I had completely glossed over that they were available from the start and now my happy Minstrel/Monk/Priest/Mage team is all thrown out of whack as I'm determined to fit one in for stealing more alchemy ingredients. I think the major factor in my easy victory was that I had just alchemised two 'Gooey Gear' armours which give very good defence for that point in the game and go on any class. Also they look bitchin'.

Good job I just got to All Trades though I'm now super torn on who to drop to squeeze a thief in.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So when do treasure maps actually have, y'know, TREASURE in them? I've ground through four already, and my only reward was another treasure map. Though to be fair I'm only up to level 8 on them.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    edited August 2010

Monk Attack
    Round A:
    Round B:
    Monk Attack for 100-ish

Oh man, thieves! I had completely glossed over that they were available from the start and now my happy Minstrel/Monk/Priest/Mage team is all thrown out of whack as I'm determined to fit one in for stealing more alchemy ingredients. I think the major factor in my easy victory was that I had just alchemised two 'Gooey Gear' armours which give very good defence for that point in the game and go on any class. Also they look bitchin'.

Good job I just got to All Trades though I'm now super torn on who to drop to squeeze a thief in.

I have yet to steal a single item, and am kinda regretting the thief. I only recruited one because I assumed, like almost all JRPGs, that bosses would have awesome steal-only items. The only boss I've "successfully" stolen from was the witch/succubus thing at the end of the Wight Knight quest, and she didn't have anything to steal.

Houn on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Artereis wrote: »
    Alchaid 2 has been completely useless for me. I can't remember the time I didn't buy at least one item from DQVC, and for two days in a row now there hasn't been a single worthwhile purchase.
    Alchaid 1 was also similarly worthless. Although DQVC was selling 5 Nectars yesterday, which I'm always burning for one reason or another. I'd prefer a different sale, since the rare alchemy items aren't obtainable in Alchaid anyway, and the common ones are unnecessary because they are easy to harvest.

@Jam Warrior:
    Change everyone to a Thief at Alltrades, then grind up some levels so that everyone has Half-Inch (only takes 10 or 13 points or something like that). Then EVERYONE can steal. This is really the only effective way you're going to steal alchemy materials anyway, since the success rate is abysmally low. Get into combat, have everyone Half-Inch, and cross your fingers.

@cloudeagle:
    Treasure chests are pretty random, although there was a tool posted earlier in the thread that could tell you how many chests and what quality you have in a grotto based on its name and location.

@Houn:
    Don't worry about recruiting people in vocations that seem "worthless". All of the vocations have some role to fill, but you can always change the person's vocation at Alltrades, and they will keep all of the skill points invested in whatever skill you have raised. So the effort isn't wasted.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Do you steal the same item they have a chance of dropping when you kill them?

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Ah, so there's NEVER a chest on the first two floors? That explains a lot.

Another question for an alchemy whore: is there any reliable way to get silver platters other than open a blue chest and hope for the best? The big list o' drops says chests are the only way, and there's at least three alchemy recipes that require them.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Do you steal the same item they have a chance of dropping when you kill them?
    You steal the same items that they drop, and you can get the common or rare drop. The exception is stealing from grotto bosses; you can never steal their rare drops.

@cloudeagle: I've only ever received silver platters from chests.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    @cloudeagle: I've only ever received silver platters from chests.

Blah. It's criminal that relatively low-level items require such a ludicrously rare ingredient.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Another question for an alchemy whore: is there any reliable way to get silver platters other than open a blue chest and hope for the best? The big list o' drops says chests are the only way, and there's at least three alchemy recipes that require them.

I found a map that had 3 rank H chests on the third floor and spent a couple hours just grinding those chests yesterday for the silver platter I needed. I pray I don't need any more.

Darian on
  • Options
    ChopperDaveChopperDave Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Do you guys know if there's any reliable way to influence what type of grotto you get from grotto bosses? I keep getting the cave, crypt, and (if I'm lucky) the lava types. I've gotten maybe two water grottos, and I don't think I've even seen an ice one yet.

ChopperDave on
    3DS code: 3007-8077-4055
  • Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

I found a map that had 3 rank H chests on the third floor and spent a couple hours just grinding those chests yesterday for the silver platter I needed. I pray I don't need any more.

How do you grind a chest? Do they reset when you leave the grotto?

Smrtnik on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Smrtnik wrote: »

How do you grind a chest? Do they reset when you leave the grotto?

When you turn off the system. You go get them, leave and save. I think quick save might work if you leave the dungeon?

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    ChopperDaveChopperDave Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Chests reset when you put the map away. I open the chests I want, evac, put the map away, take it out again, and do it all over again.

ChopperDave on
    3DS code: 3007-8077-4055
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    What exactly am I supposed to do at Wormwood? I can't find anyone to talk to, day or night.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    To clarify:

Blue chests in dungeons reset when you close the map and open it again.

Blue chests around the world reset when you shut down the system and reload.

The latter becomes an issue if you're like me and have a habit of simply putting the DS in sleep mode after you save. I don't think I've physically shut the game down for over a week.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Have you been to Batsureg?

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Options
    TevinTevin Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So I'd been putting off the Armamentalist quest since it became available because it just sounded like a pain in the ass. I've just escaped the Goretress, so I'm pretty well near the end of the regular quest.

I finally did it yesterday : had my mage switched to paladin to get some hp + resilience. Equipped with a Trident, she managed to set up a wizard ward and take out the metal slimes in only four tries.

Sometimes I think things will be harder than they are ... d'oh.

Tevin on
    None of us is as dumb as all of us.
  • Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    What exactly am I supposed to do at Wormwood? I can't find anyone to talk to, day or night.

The plot will take you there eventually, don't worry about it for now.

Smrtnik on
    steam_sig.png