As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Expendables - August 13th, In a Fucking Theater, Where Violence Belongs

• Options
    theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Chow Yun Fat would be perfect for a movie like this especially given the gun-heavy Chinese movies he's been in. Wasn't he the star of Hard Boiled?

theSquid on
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I doubt we'll see Carl Weathers, since he wanted to be in the most recent Rocky movie and there wasn't a place for him. Then he demanded money for them using his likeness and Stallone referred to him as Apollo Greed in an interview.

It is a shame about Russel, he'd be one of the ones I'd have hoped for. Michael Biehn I would like to see and with Arnold finishing up as Governor hopefully he'll end up in there.

A movie with Stallone and Schwartzenegger's fictional hand picked teams of mercenaries competing against each other for a contract then teaming up the end would be rad.

But really any reason they can think up that allows them to smash together legacy action movie legends with the glee of a five year old with a new set of Hot Wheels is all I need.

Kelor on
  • Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    theSquid wrote: »
    Chow Yun Fat would be perfect for a movie like this especially given the gun-heavy Chinese movies he's been in. Wasn't he the star of Hard Boiled?

Yes.

Chow Yun Fat is one of the coolest motherfuckers there is.

Speaking of motherfuckers, Samuel L Jackson is also conspicuously missing.

chamberlain on
  • Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Preacher wrote: »
    Norris is too political and would drag down the movie, Russel turned down the first one as he didn't want to be in a big ensemble cast. Might have to pick up some more b movie stars.

Wait. I thought that was why JCVD turned down a role?

jefe414 on
    Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    jefe414 wrote: »
    Norris is too political and would drag down the movie, Russel turned down the first one as he didn't want to be in a big ensemble cast. Might have to pick up some more b movie stars.

I believe several turned down roles because either they didn't want to in with a group of other big names or not getting paid enough.

My understanding is that most of the cast were getting paid whatever the standard rate is for an actor rather than what their names would normally command in order to get this movie made within a reasonable budget and as a final big hurrah.

Kelor on
  • Options
    nstfnstf __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2010
    Kelor wrote: »

I believe several turned down roles because either they didn't want to in with a group of other big names or not getting paid enough.

My understanding is that most of the cast were getting paid whatever the standard rate is for an actor rather than what their names would normally command in order to get this movie made within a reasonable budget and as a final big hurrah.

I'm sure they all had a blast making it and they all have enough money already. Plus it was a giant fuck you to girly movies, especially given the release weekend.

nstf on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

Yeah if I recall Willis has worked like that as of late to keep movies under budget.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Well if Kurt Russel turned down a role because of cash, that sucks. In an interview with Stallone a few months ago, he mentioned they offered a role to Seagal (in fact, Stallone wasn't originally going to be IN the movie, just write and direct). Apparently there was bad blood between Seagal and one of the producers from long ago so he turned it down.

jefe414 on
    Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Jean-claude Van Damme refused to appear in Sylvester Stallone's all-star action film The Expendables, because he would have to lose a fight to Jet Li.

Stallone corralled a hitlist of Hollywood hard men to appear in the film, but Universal Soldier star Van Damme turned him down, because the Belgian martial arts expert failed to get the movie's satirical undertones.

Stallone tells Britain's Sunday Times, "I wanted to set Jean-Claude against Jet Li, but he didn't want to lose to Jet.

"He didn't think that was cool. But that's why it would be cool; to have Jean-Claude beaten by the other man. Hey, they could have a rematch. But Steven Seagal and Van Damme, they weren't really into our gallows humour."

Van Damme may well be regretting his decision to star alongside Stallone, Jason Statham, Li, Dolph Lundgren and Mickey Rourke in The Expendables - the movie shot to number one in America at the weekend.

Kelor on
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Jean-claude Van Damme turned down the role of Stallone's sidekick to direct and star in his own film The Contrabulous Fabtraption of Professor Horatio Hufnagel.
    Will the gambit pay off? 20th Century Fox is betting... it will.

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    It's kind of funny all the people who turned this movie down is now becoming another story.

I'm glad Segal isn't here because he's god damn awful, same with Van Damme. I mean Statham is not exactly the greatest actor but hes entertaining, those two? No not in the slightest.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Honestly of all the action sequences in the movie I felt that Statham's had the most fluidity to them.

Kelor on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Honestly of all the action sequences in the movie I felt that Statham's had the most fluidity to them.

He's good at physicality, its just that his movies are normally awful just plain awful. Like Transporter 1 was all right, and then they made the second one which was fucking awful and ever since then he's seemingly lost any sense of what a "good" movie should be.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    SUPERSUGASUPERSUGA Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

He's good at physicality, its just that his movies are normally awful just plain awful. Like Transporter 1 was all right, and then they made the second one which was fucking awful and ever since then he's seemingly lost any sense of what a "good" movie should be.
    No love for the Crank series?

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    SkannerJATSkannerJAT Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Saw it last night. Great movie. Pretty much took every awesome idea you could come up with and put it in. Half the movie you are laughing at the absurdity and the other half you are just saying "GOOOOODDDDD DDDAAAAMMMMMNNNNN". Li and Stathams scene together in the corridor was great. I would love to see those guys work together again. And no, The One does not count.

SkannerJAT on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    SUPERSUGA wrote: »

Not really it veers from so bad its good to so so bad again.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    SkannerJAT wrote: »
    Saw it last night. Great movie. Pretty much took every awesome idea you could come up with and put it in. Half the movie you are laughing at the absurdity and the other half you are just saying "GOOOOODDDDD DDDAAAAMMMMMNNNNN". Li and Stathams scene together in the corridor was great. I would love to see those guys work together again. And no, The One does not count.

If you want Statham/Li action, I would suggest not seeing War. Not only was it kind of a boring movie (not nearly enough fight scenes), but they don't fight each other, which is what I was wanting in the first place.

Preacher, if you think Transporter 2 was bad, then don't tread anywhere near Transporter 3. It just keeps getting worse. The fights scenes in the first two Transporter movies made up for everything else (and honestly, the acting in the first movie wasn't bad), but nothing can really save 3. It's just bad.

ChillyWilly on
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    SUPERSUGA wrote: »

Not really it veers from so bad its good to so so bad again.

This makes me sad. I love how ridiculous the Crank movies are. I have a ton of fun watching them.

ChillyWilly on
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • Options
    edited August 2010

This makes me sad. I love how ridiculous the Crank movies are. I have a ton of fun watching them.

That's fine you can do that, I mean I like most of Chow Yun Fats movies even some of his chinese mis fires, just the crank movies are like "man this uhh yeah I'm done."

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    SkannerJATSkannerJAT Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Yeah I remember War. Never saw it though as I had been warned of its incredible misleading advertisement.

SkannerJAT on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Yeah I remember War. Never saw it though as I had been warned of its incredible misleading advertisement.

War did have some decent scenes and some nice tittys, but its mainly a jet li movie with Statham in a small supporting role.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Hopefully they can get Brian Thompson, Biehn and Paxton, Michael Dudikoff, and Lance Henrickson.

Also, Ed O'Niell and David Boreanez. I want Al Bundy in an action movie damn it. Boreanez is just awesome.

Capt Howdy on
    Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Ed Oneill is actually a decent dramatic actor (he was in Spartan and he's been in other none al bundy roles like the short lived but excellent dragnet). I wouldn't mind him showing up.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited August 2010

The people that informed you of the misleading advertising are correct. I personally wouldn't bother with it.

ChillyWilly on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

Samuel Jackson is a badass, but he's not a big man.

That's the appeal of these action stars; they're all muscle-bound, gun-toting bear fighters.

Samuel Jackson does not fit that quota; it would actually go against his reputation.

Godfather on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I dunno Jackson fits as much as Willis. I mean I love Bruce, but his appeal was as the everyman, he was the reaction to all the arnolds and sly stallones in hollywood.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Ed Oneill is actually a decent dramatic actor (he was in Spartan and he's been in other none al bundy roles like the short lived but excellent dragnet). I wouldn't mind him showing up.

Let us not forget the awesomeness that was Dutch. He really is more of a dramatic actor, and it shows. But damn he knew how to pull off Bundy in the most believable way.

Capt Howdy on
  • Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Crank is a masterpiece and Statham is a goddamned hero you shut your mouth.

Also, the movie would have been brought down considerably if Jean Claude had signed up. Same with Seagal.

Deadfall on
    7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    anonymityanonymity __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2010
    Godfather wrote: »

Samuel Jackson is a badass, but he's not a big man.

That's the appeal of these action stars; they're all muscle-bound, gun-toting bear fighters.

Samuel Jackson does not fit that quota; it would actually go against his reputation.

I would have liked if they'd included Fred Williamson, Jim Brown, Jim Kelly, or someone else from their genre.

anonymity on
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Clint Eastwood needs to be in the sequel with a Willis like cameo.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Jim Brown, FUCK YEAH! Also, Bill Duke was oddly missing.

Capt Howdy on
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Deadfall wrote: »
    Crank is a masterpiece and Statham is a goddamned hero you shut your mouth.

This can't be said enough.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Tom Savini would make a fine side villain.

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    anonymityanonymity __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2010
    Did the film have any old female action stars like Pam Grier, Cynthia Rothrock, Linda Hamlton, or the original Angels?

anonymity on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    anonymity wrote: »
    Did the film have any old female action stars like Pam Grier, Cynthia Rothrock, Linda Hamlton, or the original Angels?

Nope I don't think Stallone is nailing any actresses right now...

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    <3 Cynthia Rothrock <3 I had such a huge crush on her when I was younger. Google her if you want to see that fine body in the buff. They should get Gina Carrano for the sequel.

Capt Howdy on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Capt Howdy wrote: »
    <3 Cynthia Rothrock <3 I had such a huge crush on her when I was younger. Google her if you want to see that fine body in the buff. They should get Gina Carrano for the sequel.

I checked her wiki page. Her filmogrophy made me laugh for some reason;

1990- Rage and Honor
    1991- Honor and Glory
    1991- Rage and Honor 2
    1991- Lady Dragon 2
    1992- RAGE AND HONOR

Why bother renaming when WE CAN JUST USE CAPITALS?

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    Fatboy RobertsFatboy Roberts Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

JCVD turned down his role because he didn't like the script, actually. Stallone's gone on record as saying that. JCVD further said "you should be using this money to save kids in South Central" and Stallone got to elbow his ribs in the press for how douchey that came off.

But JCVD passed on the film because he thought the script was bad.

Statham's first Transporter and both Cranks are really great examples of mindless action done well. Two other action movies that manage to harness the same tone of "What the fuck is this retarded, candy-coated shit doing being so FUN?" are Torque and Shoot 'Em Up.

Fatboy Roberts on
  • Options
    krushkrush Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    so, the general consensus seems to be that this flick kicks ass. Good, the hard part will now be getting the wife to go see it with me.

and a sequel??? Maybe they can talk JCVD into doing the sequel... And a cameo or a small part for Brian Dennehy would be great.

maybe even a few direct-to-video stars like Don Wilson, Phillip Rhee, or Billy Blanks as "red shirt" types that get killed early on.

krush on
  • Options
    theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    krush wrote: »
    so, the general consensus seems to be that this flick kicks ass. Good, the hard part will now be getting the wife to go see it with me.

and a sequel??? Maybe they can talk JCVD into doing the sequel... And a cameo or a small part for Brian Dennehy would be great.

maybe even a few direct-to-video stars like Don Wilson, Phillip Rhee, or Billy Blanks as "red shirt" types that get killed early on.

Yeah but honestly it'd be kinda douchey to start ranking the cast in terms of popularity and dealing out screen time appropriately.

theSquid on