As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Starcraft 2] Single Player/Custom Map discussions *Use spoiler tags!*

• Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Smrtnik wrote: »
    Talka wrote: »
    Nothing really happens? You spend 75% of the game fighting against Mengsk, but then he's still in power at the end as if your broadcast hadn't even hurt or affected him.

I don't know about you but in my campaing after the
    broadcast
    I didn't stick around to see what happens, I went to a hellish place called Char.

This was actually one of my only complaints about the campaign.
    I loved how you could choose which mission to do, but that led to some pretty weird inconsistencies in the plot.

First I ended up getting enough of the relics to meet Mengsk's son, and my whole crew was pissed off at me.

Then I did the broadcast to bring down Mengsk and my crew loved me again.

Then I did New Haven and the news broadcast afterward made it sound like Mengsk was still in power like normal and that I hadn't done the broadcast yet.

Then I went to Char and suddenly my crew forgot that I had just brought down Mengsk and was all pissed off until Raynor won them back by beating up Tychus.

Some people might have complained about the lack of freedom, but I really think it would have flowed better if the game forced you to go
    Safe Haven, Media Blitz, the mission where you meet Mengsk's son last, and then Char right after that.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    CasedOut wrote: »
    so when does brutal start to actually become difficult?

Hah.

FuriousJodo on
    FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • Options
    CasedOutCasedOut Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

Hah.

No seriously, I have done 6 missions so far without any trouble whatsoever.

CasedOut on
    452773-1.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010

Hah.

So how is Korea this time of year? :P

Raiden333 on
  • Options
    FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2010

Hah.

If you take your time and do it slow I suppose it isn't that insane. But you can't exactly just a-move your way through Brutal.

FuriousJodo on
    FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Trolls belong in the Warcraft thread, over there -->

This is a thread about Space Marines.

Houn on
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Demiurge wrote: »
    I just did the last Tosh mission on Brutal difficulty, did it in 24:47 minutes so I got the hard speed run achievement too, I feel like a badass 8-)

Is there a total mission time counter in the game?

Yes, since there's an achievement based on it (Hurry Up - It's Raid Night).

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    BTW, a question regarding endgame.
    They do a lot of focusing on the dogtag that Raynor picks up before his speech. I didn't recognize the name, though. Was he some minor character I forgot about, or just some guy that won a "Get your name into SC2!" contest?

Raiden333 on
  • Options
    undeinPiratundeinPirat Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    They do a lot of focusing on the dogtag that Raynor picks up before his speech. I didn't recognize the name, though. Was he some minor character I forgot about, or just some guy that won a "Get your name into SC2!" contest?
    blizzard developer that died while working there, he has a statue in wow too

undeinPirat on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] steam: undeinpirat
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    Talith wrote: »
    The name on the dogtag actually belongs to one of the art team's younger brothers who passed away during the development of SC2. He also has a statue in WoW as well.

Actually he's not on the art team persay. "Twincruiser" Rene and Michael Koiter were hired to do artwork for Blizzard's WarCraft D&D books. Michael Koiter died about a year later I think.

See: http://www.sonsofthestorm.com/memorial_twincruiser.html

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Here's a screenie of my buggy game giving me heaps of cash each time I visit the lab.
    buggysc.jpg

I am pretty positive it is a bug. I get the same amount of cash each time, regardless of how many missions I've completed.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    PellaeonPellaeon Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Pellaeon wrote: »
    I really wish I had gone with the flame turrets rather then the planetary fortress, since I've used the fortress approximately zero times.

They're life savers on
    Char
    , if you build more than one, and have SCV fast repair.

Yeah, final mission is the only place I have considered using the pf
    I am fighting air, and something usually sneaks through on a doom drop, one time a handful of zerglings took out half my supply depots before I even noticed. I put some bunkers guard the back/min line but inevtiably there is somespot with no units at the time.

No fast scv repair or auto building repair though

On the other hand I can see lots of missions where the flame turrets might come in handy were they available.

Anyway, I had the whole weekend to beat the last mission on hard and I didn't. My first attempt was my best, got pretty close but I could see I wasn't going to make it (wasn't THAT close). I restarted, and every attempt seems to be getting worse. Like when I didn't know what was coming and just winged it I did pretty good, but now when I try and set up counters for things I know are coming somehow it's less effective. After a while I said fuck it and spent the rest of the weekend on acheivements and doing other things. Now I just get frustrated at the slightest weakness in my defense and feel like giving up rather then trying to recover. I am losing to the enemy's psychological warfare!

I've read some good strategies in this thread though, so I'll probably use some them tonight, beat it and wonder why it was so tough and why I didn't think of obvious strategy of obviousness.

Pellaeon on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

oh wow, that's pretty sad. Cool of Blizz to do that.

Raiden333 on
  • Options
    NerfThatManNerfThatMan Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm not at my computer right now so it may be painfully obvious on the client but does anyone know if it's possible to view the cinematics from the game once you've beaten it? Not the in-game ones, the three or so pre-rendered ones. Wondering if I can show them to friends.

NerfThatMan on
    PSN: corporateshill
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I'm not at my computer right now so it may be painfully obvious on the client but does anyone know if it's possible to view the cinematics from the game once you've beaten it? Not the in-game ones, the three or so pre-rendered ones. Wondering if I can show them to friends.

They're in the mission replayer, plus there's a cheat to unlock them all.

Raiden333 on
  • Options
    undeinPiratundeinPirat Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    if you go into the mission archives they are available for viewing

also youtube

undeinPirat on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] steam: undeinpirat
  • Options
    edited August 2010

They are located under the mission archives thing along with all the in-game cinematics.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

If you hit "continue" on the single player screen after the last mission, it will pop up the mission archive, which has all the cenimatics you've seen in that playthrough, pre-rendered and in-game.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Jars wrote: »
    Dashui wrote: »
    Oh God, what do I do?!

Tosh's mission
    I can help him break out the prisoners or work with Nova. I don't care who has the better units. I just don't want to break psychopaths out of prison if Nova is telling the truth.

I accidentally read a little spoiler about this, too, where after the mission you find out Nova lied about Spectres being fucked up. Hmmm....

Dude,
    Bros before hoes.

but what do you do
    on haven when they are both hos
    I went with the James T Kirk option
    Dr. Hanson actually wants Raynor's dick, though (as evidenced by the cutscene after you save the colonists). Selendis don't give a fuck.
    do the protoss even have the right... ports and dongles? someone earlier mentioned they feed by photosynthesis

Smrtnik on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    NerfThatManNerfThatMan Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    thanks dudes

sc2 rocks

tychus lives

NerfThatMan on
    PSN: corporateshill
  • Options
    ElementalorElementalor Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Demiurge wrote: »
    I just did the last Tosh mission on Brutal difficulty, did it in 24:47 minutes so I got the hard speed run achievement too, I feel like a badass 8-)

Is there a total mission time counter in the game?

Yes, since there's an achievement based on it (Hurry Up - It's Raid Night).

I meant one that I could see adding up my mission times as I went on.

Elementalor on
    Marvel Future Fight: dElementalor
    FFBE: 898,311,440
    Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/dElementalor
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Oh God, what do I do?!

Tosh's mission
    I can help him break out the prisoners or work with Nova. I don't care who has the better units. I just don't want to break psychopaths out of prison if Nova is telling the truth.

I accidentally read a little spoiler about this, too, where after the mission you find out Nova lied about Spectres being fucked up. Hmmm....

Dude,
    Bros before hoes.

but what do you do
    Dr. Hanson actually wants Raynor's dick, though (as evidenced by the cutscene after you save the colonists). Selendis don't give a fuck.
    do the protoss even have the right... ports and dongles? someone earlier mentioned they feed by photosynthesis
    She still has hands :winky:

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

I think it was also neat within the context of the game. Showing that Raynor wasn't the type of guy who commanded from behind the front lines, and actually saw the individuals dying as people

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    edited August 2010

I think it was also neat within the context of the game. Showing that Raynor wasn't the type of guy who commanded from behind the front lines, and actually saw the individuals dying as people

I really liked that one short cutscene of
    Raynor and Tychus on char watching a TV screen that had the traditional Starcraft viewpoint while they commanded.

Can't say exactly why. It was just kind of like a very light tap on the 4th wall without breaking it.

Raiden333 on
  • Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Noggin wrote: »
    Beat the campaign last night! :^::^:

In Utter Darkness was genius.

Re: the dogtag
    "Michel Koiter was a Blizzard artist who died in 2004 from heart failure. He was 19." :(

Awesome for Blizzard to do that for him, though.

Oh.... .. I thought the M stood for Matt, the guy on the ship.

Smrtnik on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Foefaller wrote: »
    Oh God, what do I do?!

Tosh's mission

Dude,
    Bros before hoes.

but what do you do
    She still has hands :winky:
    She can fuck his mind.

Raiden333 on
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    nealcm wrote: »
    i accepted the fact that he grew hair, but he totally looked blonde in SC1

Really? Blonde?

He looked like he had brown hair to me, but honestly the SC1 portraits were absolutely horrible. Go find Chris Metzen's artwork of him from the SC1 manual and he actually doesn't look that different.

Edit: http://www.scrollsoflore.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-11430 (sorry for the blurryness)

They weren't that bad, especially when they were blown up for mission stuff. For instance, Mengsk looked like this in SC1:
    mengsk.gif

And this in SC2:
    ArcturusMengsk_SC2_Head2.JPEG

Here's a good comparison for Raynor as well:
    scterranjimraynor_2.gif

His hair was at least light brown in SC1, and it's BLACK in SC2.

And I honestly preffered the way Kerrigan looked. I mean, they sort of kept her face long, but seriously, she totally had Dreds, what happened to that?

I am SERIOUSLY very angry about this. Seriously.

Lord_Asmodeus on
    Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    SkyGheNeSkyGheNe Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Look, blizzard retconned this game into oblivion. It's how they roll.

SkyGheNe on
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Looks like Mengsk picked up some Just For Men Comb In, for his beard. I guess when you go from an obscure insurgency leader to the emperor of the dominion, you can afford some color.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Man, if they were going to retcon something why couldn't they
    Make Edmund Duke not dead. I mean he was one of my favorite characters, he was just awesome. Instead they do stupid shit like change everybody's hair style/color and features. I also really liked Tychus. Why do all of my favorite characters die?

Lord_Asmodeus on
    Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    LemmingLemming Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

Hah.

I did most of them fairly easily, but a few are just fffffucking annoying

Like the final mission, and the one where (midgameish)
    Tychus gets in the Odin the first time. He's a fucking retard and it's super hard to keep him alive until you figure out what you need to do.

Lemming on
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    aside from the last 10 seconds of the survive map brutal doesn't start out that bad. it gets harder about 10 maps in.

Jars on
  • Options
    The DagonThe Dagon Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So, custom maps. How do they work?

I remember earlier in this thread someone found a map on which to play chess with starcraft units. I can't for the life of me figure out how to play anything other than single player, multiplayer, or vs. AI bots.

Is it not implemented yet, or am I missing something?

The Dagon on
    Steam ID : TheDagon
    PSN : TheDagon
    Pretty much every game ever : TheDagon
  • Options
    JutranjoJutranjo Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The Dagon wrote: »

I remember earlier in this thread someone found a map on which to play chess with starcraft units. I can't for the life of me figure out how to play anything other than single player, multiplayer, or vs. AI bots.

Click multiplayer then click Join Game under custom games.

Jutranjo on
  • Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The Dagon wrote: »

On "Play Multiplayer", it's under Custom Games, either Create or Join. You can also probably set up a single-player custom map using Play Against the A.I. under Single Player.

However, fiddling around with the map editor, I figured out how to remove the limits on what you can load into Bunkers, barring a couple exceptions (Changelings, which I think have their own no-transport setting). Anyway, fun fact: the ability of bunkers to allow units to shoot out is generic: ANY non-melee unit can attack, including things like Hydralisks, Thors, and Colossi. Though, the Colossi beams appear way above the bunker (at its normal standing height), as opposed to the Sentry beams which properly fire directly out of the little windows.

Garthor on
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Fucking Amazon

forty on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Haha, speaking of Amazon, they need to hurry up with my StarCraft: Ghost Academy (issue 2) manga order that they shipped out this weekend. I need some more context for Nova and Tosh! :D

'Course they are shipping USPS so I'll probably get it sometime next week knowing their crap service.

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    The DagonThe Dagon Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Oh cool, thanks guys!

The Dagon on
    Steam ID : TheDagon
    PSN : TheDagon
    Pretty much every game ever : TheDagon
  • Options
    nealcmnealcm Alvarian AlvarianRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    i just thought of this, but i liked the throwback to saving the guys who crashed in the middle of all those zerg

i have such fond memories of 1a2a3aing my 200/200 army straight to that crashed battle cruiser

nealcm on
    19ZUtIw.png
  • Options
    FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Lemming wrote: »

Hah.

I did most of them fairly easily, but a few are just fffffucking annoying

Like the final mission, and the one where (midgameish)
    Tychus gets in the Odin the first time. He's a fucking retard and it's super hard to keep him alive until you figure out what you need to do.

In Utter Darkness is a giant asshole on brutal.

Still haven't cleared it, keep getting murdered at about 1k kills by simply being overrun.

Frozenzen on
This discussion has been closed.