As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Starcraft 2] Single Player/Custom Map discussions *Use spoiler tags!*

• Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Cherrn wrote: »
    Spaffy wrote: »
    Cherrn wrote: »
    Of course the EU digital copy is priced at €60. I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but damn

Way to go, way to be, Blizzard.

Say who to what now? 60 euro?.

Yeah. It's the Activision/Modern Warfare 2 pricing. Normally, digital games are €50, which is still too expensive, but not highway robbery. I guess with the amount of content you get, Starcraft 2 justifies that pricetag as much as any game could, but it's still a bummer.

we should be happy that battle.net still exists and that we don't have to pay for it. activision would probably have us pay for it.

evilthecat on
    tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    To be fair though Mr Grinch, Starcraft 1 doesn't play or look like an old game. The graphics are a little dated but the art style is such that it never really suffers for it, and the gameplay is still top notch

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    - Do I need to have played the first one (silly as it sounds if I'm putting time in to a game I'd like it to be a modern game, so I'm not interested in picking up the first)?
    - Is it FAIRLY newbie friendly, as in to someone who's barely EVER played a RTS?
    - Will I get plenty of time out of it?

Cheers gents, go back to enjoying your long overdue sequel.

As others have said, there is an excellent recap during the install, which gets you up to speed on the important points.

I'm playing on normal, and essentially destroying missions by almost killing enemies you are simply supposed to endure attacks from, so I'm pretty sure casual/normal is newbie friendly, the game does a great job with tutorials explaining how to play.

I've spent about 6 hours on the campaign so far, think I am soon halfway trough it, not entirely sure though. If you like achievements/optional goals there is a ton of stuff to do that I'm saving for a second playtrough.

And finally, supposedly there are some challenge things to get you started on multi if you want to try it. I would reccomend playing with someone you know first though, to get the basics down. If the ladder will be anything like the old b.net or the beta, it is rather unforgiving.

Frozenzen on
  • Options
    DourinDourin Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    To be fair though Mr Grinch, Starcraft 1 doesn't play or look like an old game. The graphics are a little dated but the art style is such that it never really suffers for it, and the gameplay is still top notch

This is true, however, if he has a newer PC (Vista or newer), he may have troubles getting it to run. And even if he does get it to run, it'll likely do so with some very interesting visual oddities, as tends to be the case on newer machines. I mean, sure, fixes can be found online for the visual stuff (albeit from some pretty shady places), and running it in admin seems to keep it from crashing out after completing a mission, but unless he's really wanting to experience the story for himself, he'd do just fine to use the SC2 installer to catch himself up on the key points.

Dourin on
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Cheers for all the advice guys. As mentioned above I'm running Windows 7 and I don't really want to have to fight to get a game up and running, also I'd love to be able to contribute to threads like this without feeling out of date! That and (the main reason) I'm shallow; I'll be playing on my lovely 42" Plasma, in the living room, with glorious 7.1, resting on my comfy sofa with my mouse and keyboard. I want something that looks (at least reasonably) pretty and shiny to warrant all the money I've spent.

From what everyone says it sounds like it'd definitely be worth spending some money on and I wouldn't be too out of my depth. I'll get the last bits of my house purchase and then get this as a house warming gift to myself.

Thanks again folks.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    LlyLly Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    There are 2 friend codes in the box so if anyone has a spare one you can get 7 hours game time, or 14 days real time to try it out. I've already given mine out, but i'm sure some folks will have spares.

Of course, you'd then have to download a 12 gig client!

Lly on
  • Options
    FightTestFightTest Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    It's like a 7gig download.

FightTest on
    MOBA DOTA.
  • Options
    walnutmonwalnutmon Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Dhalphir wrote: »

This is [edited]not true in my opinion[/edited]. I tried playing it after the beta went down, it's pretty much unplayable these days.

It's horrendous looking and the game-play is extremely dated (not their fault the game IS extremely dated). You can only select 8 units at a time (in starcraft you will frequently have over 100). Rally points for units don't work on workers properly... the list goes on.

I'm not saying it's not a game worth playing again, but to say that it doesn't play or look like an old game is flat out wrong.

To be honest, I'd search the tubes for a good mash-up of all the cutscenes from the game, i'm sure you could find one online. And if you do, post it here :)

walnutmon on
    xbox: jmbizzo | ps3: walnutmon | steam: walnutmon | SC2: walnutmon.591
  • Options
    GalacticGalactic Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    LMAO be forewarned, when you create a character name, that will be your official multiplayer profile name as well! My friend did not realize this, thought he was only making his bullshit offline campaign name and is now stuck with being known as "abbb".

Apparently this is causing quite a stir in the SC2 forums atm. Also, there are multiple people with the same name, they just have number identifiers on profiles. You don't see the number unless you look at the profile. So the guy who got all hyped that he was allowed to call himself "Zerg" was shocked when he saw that he was actually "Zerg#431". Some dude on the forums was really crushed when he realized he was "Sephiroth#733".

As of yet, Blizz officially has no plans on letting people change their names, which sucks for the guy who went to the bathroom during his install and his friends jokingly gave him the profile name "Failburger" thinking he could just make a new one. Nope. He's Failburger now.

Blizz will probably implement a name change feature eventually though. Whaddya think, 5 bucks? 10?

^_-;

Galactic on
    ^_-;

Too Galactic for you.
  • Options
    NathantinNathantin regular
    edited July 2010
    What's with Sephiroth's popularity and prevalence as a screenname, anyhow? Never quite got that. He only really struck me as a sociopathic silly goose who's having one hell of an overreaction.

In any case, probably gonna be a month or so before I'm able to pick this up, but pretty darn excited all the same. Starcraft's setting, it's lore, really stuck with me for some reason, so interested in seein' where it goes. That, and playing Starcraft again, man. But all shiny and polished and stuff.

Nathantin on
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Galactic wrote: »
    LMAO be forewarned, when you create a character name, that will be your official multiplayer profile name as well! My friend did not realize this, thought he was only making his bullshit offline campaign name and is now stuck with being known as "abbb".

Apparently this is causing quite a stir in the SC2 forums atm. Also, there are multiple people with the same name, they just have number identifiers on profiles. You don't see the number unless you look at the profile. So the guy who got all hyped that he was allowed to call himself "Zerg" was shocked when he saw that he was actually "Zerg#431". Some dude on the forums was really crushed when he realized he was "Sephiroth#733".

As of yet, Blizz officially has no plans on letting people change their names, which sucks for the guy who went to the bathroom during his install and his friends jokingly gave him the profile name "Failburger" thinking he could just make a new one. Nope. He's Failburger now.

Blizz will probably implement a name change feature eventually though. Whaddya think, 5 bucks? 10?

^_-;

The SP to MP thing is a surprise, but Blizzard had mentioned somewhere in the vicinity of a billion times that they were introducing number identifiers and it was that way in phase 2 of the beta.

The nice thing is that you can get the name you want, and I think the semi-hidden numbers is a lot better than __xxSEPHIROTHXxx__

Also Failburger is an awesome name for MP.

Khavall on
  • Options
    FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    Cheers for all the advice guys. As mentioned above I'm running Windows 7 and I don't really want to have to fight to get a game up and running, also I'd love to be able to contribute to threads like this without feeling out of date! That and (the main reason) I'm shallow; I'll be playing on my lovely 42" Plasma, in the living room, with glorious 7.1, resting on my comfy sofa with my mouse and keyboard. I want something that looks (at least reasonably) pretty and shiny to warrant all the money I've spent.

From what everyone says it sounds like it'd definitely be worth spending some money on and I wouldn't be too out of my depth. I'll get the last bits of my house purchase and then get this as a house warming gift to myself.

Thanks again folks.

If you want, I can hook you up with one of those guest pass thingamobobs so you get to test it first. Toss me a PM and I'll answer when I get back from work later tonight.

Frozenzen on
  • Options
    GalacticGalactic Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Khavall wrote: »

^_-;

The SP to MP thing is a surprise, but Blizzard had mentioned somewhere in the vicinity of a billion times that they were introducing number identifiers and it was that way in phase 2 of the beta.

The nice thing is that you can get the name you want, and I think the semi-hidden numbers is a lot better than __xxSEPHIROTHXxx__

Also Failburger is an awesome name for MP.

I stopped playing the beta after Phase 1, I pretty much only bought SC2 for the custom maps. Not a huge RTS fan, (Do enjoy playing the story mode tho) but I LOVE playing Turret Defenses and other such custom maps. (I bought WC3:FT mainly for DotA, which was an amazing investment because I definitely got more playing time out of DotA than 80% of the WC3 players got out of WC3. )

And yes, Failburger is a pretty sweet name, but imagine that kid's reaction when he comes out of the bathroom and realizes that he will (potentially) forever be known as "Failburger."

It's almost as fun as guys who didn't realize they were making their MP names and they realize that they will now have to go around as "mike" or "chris".

I had the biggest lulz from the internetz when I went to the SC2 forums and listened to "Lihgtning" complain because she made a typo she would gladly pay 5 bucks to erase.

^_-;

Galactic on
    ^_-;

Too Galactic for you.
  • Options
    darkenedwingdarkenedwing Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    God, I'd pay $5 just to change my name to Failburger XD

darkenedwing on
    image.php?type=sigpic&userid=29216&dateline=1296970870
  • Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Maybe she should learn how to type lightning.

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    hamdingershamdingers Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    A few pages back someone said they were halfway though the campaign at about 6 hours in. I'm not sure what my expectations were but a 12 hour SP campaign feels less than I wanted.

hamdingers on
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Blizzard has mentioned that SC2 Ladders will be reset every once in a while with "series" or "Seasons" essentially, to the ladders... it's possible when a new season starts they might offer a name change, that would make sense.

Khavall on
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I am glad I am not sniperguy+ bunch of numbers. Woo!

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    ArgraxArgrax Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    This is epic.

Argrax on
    SC2: Argrax.751
  • Options
    LlyLly Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    hamdingers wrote: »
    A few pages back someone said they were halfway though the campaign at about 6 hours in. I'm not sure what my expectations were but a 12 hour SP campaign feels less than I wanted.

I imagine that the levels get longer and harder as it goes on, so if you've done half of the levels you're not actually half way through, but yeah if you're really half way through at 6 hours that's far less than blizzard said it would be.

Lly on
  • Options
    SabanSaban Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Normal mode is fairly easy(so far) but the achievements for Hard/Brutal are sure to keep people playing for a few months.

Saban on
    371839-1.png
  • Options
    CJTheranCJTheran Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So I heard this game sucks, confirm/deny

I'll be picking mine up in 45 minutes.

CJTheran on
  • Options
    CasedOutCasedOut Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    CJTheran wrote: »

What low life degenerate did you hear that from?

CasedOut on
    452773-1.png
  • Options
    CJTheranCJTheran Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    CasedOut wrote: »

What low life degenerate did you hear that from?

I was making a joke, as lord knows I will enjoy the shit out of this game

Blizzard please stop taking all my money

CJTheran on
  • Options
    Racist JokeRacist Joke Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So today, both SC2 and Need for Speed online come out. I am torn as to which game to get. On the one hand, I have SC2 which will be fucking awesome and I have been waiting for over 10 years.

Or I have Need for Speed online where I will be racing alone because who the fuck would be buying that today?

Man do I feel sorry for them. I am morbidly curious as to what the online for that game looks like today.

Racist Joke on
    Steam
    Xbox Live: Kunohara
  • Options
    Vangu VegroVangu Vegro Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    AAAAAAARRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!

This cry of frustration was brought to you by StarCraft II, which won't let me play because it says my account doesn't have an associated copy of the game despite the fact that the game shows up in my account.

Vangu Vegro on
    In my PC: Ryzom, Diablo III, Naruto Shippuden UNSR, The Old Republic
    In my 3DS: Super Smash Bros, AC New Leaf
    Last game completed: Steamworld Dig
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I decided to go ahead and not wait till I'd bought my house to pick this up (or at least order it), if anyone's in the UK then you can grab it for £29.97 (About 35Eur) from here:

http://savygamer.co.uk/2010/07/27/starcraft-2-pcmac-29-74/

(Thanks LewieP)

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Well it's nice to know that single player isn't just a series of 'select all, attack move to waypoint, repeat till mission complete'.

I'll be picking this up this weekend.

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The first time you see Kerrigan is awesome.
    all grainy and signs like

I'm playing on hard. Zero hour was difficult!

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Great, only like 8 hours until my copy arrives. Better than UPS though, at least with FedEx I get my packages while there's still light

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    AxonAxon Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

Nah, it's great. It's a lot more of the same, with some tweaks, which I think is a good thing. Too commonly gamers cry wolf when devs change the feel of their beloved engines, or whatever. And then when not enough is done, the emo cries rise again.

SC2 is almost the same as SC with hugely updated graphics, new units, and a few new bells and whistles here and there. When a game is so influential and innovative as the original, its a tough act to follow. If people are expecting the same revolutionary experience, there will be disappointment. If you're expecting a good story and a worthy update to a legendary game, you will not be let down.

Axon on
  • Options
    eatmosushieatmosushi __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2010
    is it good when the day after you get your souped up laptop hdmi'd into your 55" 1080i tv is the same day as starcraft II comes out?

eatmosushi on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Spun uncontrollably skyward... Driven brutally into the ground
  • Options
    PookiepooPookiepoo Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    eatmosushi wrote: »
    is it good when the day after you get your souped up laptop hdmi'd into your 55" 1080i tv is the same day as starcraft II comes out?

Aww man, what cards did you trade the kids at your local card game shop for that?

Pookiepoo on
    Steam: Pookie GG Now Playing: BattleTech, Divinity Original Sin 2, MechWarrior 5
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    blooeyezwhitedragonz

eatmosushi on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Spun uncontrollably skyward... Driven brutally into the ground
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Shipment 1 of 1
    Shipped
    Delivery Estimate: August 3, 2010
    :(

forty on
  • Options
    valiancevaliance Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    will there be an sc2 dota? and if so how long do we have to wait for it?

valiance on
  • Options
    HawkHawk ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Well I downloaded it yesterday, need to get paid to buy it. I've never played Starcraft before the SCII Beta. So I'll probably stay away from MP except for private/custom games.

SP looks really interesting and more my style.

Hawk on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I will literally commit a year to playing bunker wars

eatmosushi on
  • Options
    SimpsonsParadoxSimpsonsParadox Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Ah, CD keys, how I hate thee. Just spent 10 minutes yelling at my computer that the damn key was correct. Turns out it was VV and not W. Lesigh. Oh well. Only 50% more installation until I can finally play!

SimpsonsParadox on
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    valiance wrote: »
    will there be an sc2 dota? and if so how long do we have to wait for it?

Already exists. Can't remember what it's called though.

KetBra on
    KGMvDLc.jpg?1
This discussion has been closed.