As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

catcher in the rye

• Options
    naporeonnaporeon Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Pony wrote:
    you know i can't ever say i have name-dropped a writer of fiction to appear more educated.
    Nor can you say that you haven't heard people doing it.

t Penguin Oh, I know. I almost said something to that end.

naporeon on
  • Options
    Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Have you heard of an author by the name of SD Perry?

Oh, I thought not.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    there's few things in the world more annoying than a person who gets all snooty about their interests when talking to people who share the same interests.

like "oh, you read sci-fi? That's wonderful. Oh... oh you read Star Wars novels? I... I see. Well, no I mean I read Harlan Ellison and William Gibson. You know, literature"

Shut up, you read sci-fi novels you uppity ponce.

Pony on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Sometimes, with an ex's snooty, overeducated friends, I would make up authors, complete with a partial oeuvre, and see if anyone would bite, a la Emperor's New Clothes.

I was hoping it would work more often than it did, but it DID work on occasion.

naporeon on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Has anyone else read Blood Meridian? It was spectacular. I think it's safe to say that this book has changed my life.

I'm going to give this to my son for his 12th birthday instead of Catcher in the Rye.

Fucking ruin him.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    Filler Inc.Filler Inc. Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    naporeon wrote:
    Sometimes, with an ex's snooty, overeducated friends, I would make up authors, complete with a partial oeuvre, and see if anyone would bite, a la Emperor's New Clothes.

I tried doing that in one of the music threads where people are posting these wierd ass bands.

No one bought.

Names like

The Septuplets

Or

Winter in autumn.

Blue sunrise.

Filler Inc. on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    naporeon wrote:

oh man

i've never done this, but i've seen someone fall for it, anime-style, at a convention.

buddy of mine who's a pretty caustic mean feller

did something like this with made up mecha anime

dude totally bit on it, and when confronted on it was like "no, i was, uh, i was confusing it for something else..."

shaddup

you were trying to join in on a conversation with a snooty dick and you wanted to be a snooty dick too, so you made shit up

shaddup.

Pony on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    The Emperor's New Guitar.

No one likes the music. It's just an eleborate bluff. People only think they enjoy it.

Mars Volta, I am looking in your general direction.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    The Emperor's New Guitar.

No one likes the music. It's just an eleborate bluff. People only think they enjoy it.

Mars Volta, I am looking in your general direction.

i actually believe this is the case in many different forms of entertainment medium.

movies, bands, tv shows etc. that nobody actually really enjoys but pretends they do because it's the in thing.

Pony on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    I'd like to pretend otherwise, but I pretty much did it because they were all dual MD/PhD people, and I felt like they looked down on me. It wasn't a lack of confidence, exactly...more a sort of credential-induced paranoia.

naporeon on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Oh hey, my prediction about making fun of Mars Volta ended up being spot on.

Though with me and Mars Volta, it's hardly a prediction. It's more of an inevitibility.

I also finished I Am Legend and The Book of Lists since Christmas. I'm pretty proud of myself.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    naporeon wrote:
    I'd like to pretend otherwise, but I pretty much did it because they were all dual MD/PhD people, and I felt like they looked down on me. It wasn't a lack of confidence, exactly...more a sort of credential-induced paranoia.

You felt like making them look stupid because they were way more educated than you and you felt they were looking down on you?

Pony on
  • Options
    SephSeph Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Pony wrote:
    naporeon wrote:

You felt like making them look stupid because they were way more educated than you and you felt they were looking down on you?

aka

You think you're better than me? (redneck voice)

Seph on
    doit.png
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    If you're going to say You think you're better than me?

You have to do it in a drunk voice.

Redneck optional.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Pony wrote:
    naporeon wrote:

You make it sound so petty. And no, I didn't really do it to make anyone feel stupid. I never came out and said, for example, "Hey...this guy you've been talking about for the last ten minutes? Yeah, I totally just made him up! Sucker!" And when I say paranoia, I am more or less serious; it was an irrational, mostly unfounded response. I feel like my level of education was on par with their own, excepting of course their particular areas of research and medicine, but whereas they had all this parchment, I had but one meager piece.

But yeah, it WAS petty.

naporeon on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    naporeon wrote:
    Pony wrote:
    naporeon wrote:

You make it sound so petty. And no, I didn't really do it to make anyone feel stupid. I never came out and said, for example, "Hey...this guy you've been talking about for the last ten minutes? Yeah, I totally just made him up! Sucker!" And when I say paranoia, I am more or less serious; it was an irrational, mostly unfounded response. I feel like my level of education was on par with their own, excepting of course their particular areas of research and medicine, but whereas they had all this parchment, I had but one meager piece.

But yeah, it WAS petty.

so basically you faked it so you would fit in because you felt insecure about your lack of a Ph.D

that's understandable. petty, but understandable.

Pony on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Pony wrote:
    naporeon wrote:
    Pony wrote:
    naporeon wrote:

But yeah, it WAS petty.

so basically you faked it so you would fit in because you felt insecure about your lack of a Ph.D

that's understandable. petty, but understandable.
    No. It wasn't a matter of faking it. I didn't need to fake it, at least so far as literature went.

What I DID need to do was prove to myself that I wasn't the only insecure one. As it turns out, I wasn't.

naporeon on
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    If you're going to say You think you're better than me?

You have to do it in a drunk voice.

Redneck optional.

I feel like such a tool, having actually said this thing shortly after a fight at the local roller rink.

There's not much to do in Cheyenne, see...

Drugs, alcohol and being pregnant seem to be popular.

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    And read.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I think I've read half the articles on Wikipedia

Weaver on
  • Options
    FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    you know

i met JD Salinger once

old guy

Faricazy on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Ray Bradbury came to our school once. It is a wonder he is still making public apperances, much less alive.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Ray Bradbury came to our school once. It is a wonder he is still making public apperances, much less alive.
    shit

bradbury is more awesome than salinger

i'd love to meet bradbury

Faricazy on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    He's also less of a dick.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Have you heard of an author by the name of SD Perry?

Oh, I thought not.

Didn't he write some Resident Evil adaptations?

Bloods End on
  • Options
    CrashmoCrashmo Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Rereading "John Dies at the End" because it keeps me awake in my classes. Keeps me awake with fits of barking laughter, and sometimes from crying at the shame of what I'm laughing at. If I did drugs (the trippy kind) I would SO attempt this book while I was blasted, since it already rapes my mind.

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
  • Options
    fallaxdracofallaxdraco Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Crashmo wrote:
    Rereading "John Dies at the End" because it keeps me awake in my classes. Keeps me awake with fits of barking laughter, and sometimes from crying at the shame of what I'm laughing at. If I did drugs (the trippy kind) I would SO attempt this book while I was blasted, since it already rapes my mind.

Fuck I remember that book... I should reread it.

fallaxdraco on
  • Options
    Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I'm reading Good-bye, Mr. Chips by James Hilton. Good so far, but I expected that after the glory that was Random Harvest.

After that... I'm thinking of rereading Flowers For Algernon, because I was explaining the story to a cute girl at work today and suddenly desire to re-experience it.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Bloods End wrote:
    Didn't he write some Resident Evil adaptations?
    She did.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    Double DeuceDouble Deuce Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Has anyone read the new Dave Eggers book, What Is the What? I loved all his other books, but I'm not sure I could get into this one, what with the subject matter.

And just so I'm not totally off topic, I liked Catcher in the Rye, but I haven't read it since high school. Don't know if I would still enjoy it as much.

Double Deuce on
  • Options
    sarksark Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I'm just about finished with Fight Club.

Next I'm reading Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut.

or maybe A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess.

Both should arrive in my mailbox next week, I'm not sure what order I'll read them in.

sark on
    tron4.png
  • Options
    SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I totally read this as "Catch her in the eye" and thought it was some kind of bukkake thread.

(Ha, Firefox auto-spellcheck tells me I spelled "bukkake" properly)

SeñorAmor on
  • Options
    JebuJebu Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I just started reading A Farewell to Arms, since I got a big collection of Hemingway a while ago and I've only read For Whom the Bell Tolls and a short story collection so far. I like the way he writes, but reading too much of him at a time messes me up, especially when I'm trying to write something.

Jebu on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Catcher in the Rye was great.

i just read a seperate piece and i loved it

It's "A Separate Peace" and is also the worst book ever written.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Drez wrote:
    We agree on a work of fiction.

I believe my head just exploded.

naporeon on
  • Options
    PbPb Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Drez wrote:

You are correct, sir. I am a worse person for having read that book.

Pb on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    naporeon wrote:
    Drez wrote:

Which head?

Drez on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Pb wrote:
    Drez wrote:

You are correct, sir. I am a worse person for having read that book.

Precisely my feeling. What a god-awful travesty.

Drez on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Drez wrote:
    naporeon wrote:
    Drez wrote:

Which head?